Nintendo 2DS features one big touch screen, not two separate displays

Thursday, 29th August 2013 10:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo 2DS was unveiled last night and a fresh report from the States confirms that the handhelds dual screens are in fact one singular touch screen.

A report from USGamer states that the single screen is split into two by the console’s plastic casing, and that the upper portion is protected by a plastic sheet. In theory, modders could remove the sheet and use the top part of the screen as a touch panel as well as the lower portion.

The site adds that the rationale behind having one big screen is cost-driven, as it is much cheaper to manufacture a single touch screen that have two separate displays.

We’ve got more Nintendo 2DS features, images and a trailer here.

Via Eurogamer.

1. mistermogul

So this wasn’t a dream…?!

#1 1 year ago
  2. grahamc

Would it not have been cheaper just not to make this strange thing at all?

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

So one screen with a tacky plastic frame splitting it in two. This sounds like a must buy…

#3 1 year ago
  4. FabioPal

this:
    ” In theory, modders could remove the sheet and use the top part of the screen as a touch panel as well as the lower portion.”

would be true if the hardware was able to read the input from that other screen as well. But, as far as I know, it isn’t.

#4 1 year ago
  5. fihar

As usual, the amount of cynicism is overwhelming.
    Just take note however that not everybody can either afford the 3DS or doesn’t think that it’s worth the asking price.

Unlike the Wii Mini which was released way late in the console cycle, this 2DS might well prove to be succesful since the interest in 3DS’ software is at an all-time high.
    I for one might pick this one up since what it looks like is of no concern to me and I couldn’t care less about the 3D effect.

#5 1 year ago
  6. dotfaust

You know what would be hilarious? 2DS exclusive games that were incompatible with 3DS systems… think about it.

Super Mario 2D Land
    Kingdom Hearts 2D: Dream Drop ________
    and… thats all I got

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

Sorry everyone, I forgot, this is a Nintendo product and therefore a no-fly zone regarding any sort of criticism for whatever reason.

#7 1 year ago
  8. polygem

why all the hate viral. i don’t get it…shit attitude man. let people enjoy what they want ffs.

#8 1 year ago
  9. viralshag

Because I think it looks like a poor product, which given the info above and in the other article is enough for me to make that judgement.

I think it’s a cheap looking backwards step in terms of Nintendo handheld designs which has clearly been done with only cost saving in mind.

#9 1 year ago
  10. fihar

It IS a cheap product. That is the point.
    The PS3 super slim looked cheap because it is cheap. It’s meant to be like that.

This is a product that is clearly meant for someone who can’t afford to care about all that stuff (I.e. Me) and with that price point it’s safe to say Nintendo managed to hit their mark.

#10 1 year ago
  11. viralshag

@10, Is that what you think this product is? Personally, and this is purely speculation, this is the product that’s going to try and help offset the WiiU price cut.

It’s obviously going to be super cheap to make, they’re probably making a killing on that price. It IS entry level and will most likely sell a fair bit thanks to the price.

But as they said, they aren’t developing any content for this device. It’s basically a repackaged Non-3DS.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t just save a little bit more and go with the far more superior handheld. It’s not really that much more…

#11 1 year ago
  12. The_Red

Sometimes I don’t understand Nintendo. Then sometimes I really REALLY don’t understand Nintendo. Finally, sometimes I see stuff like this.

They couldn’t have made a dumber or uglier console even if they tried.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Derwarf

hmm… considering I recently gave my nephew an old DS (5 year old) which he loved but nearly broke in 3 days, this product has an audience. Furthermore, just because a child turns 7-8 doesn’t mean they are responsible with material possessions. At the end of the day, my sister will look at this and go “Its cheaper then a 3ds, a tablet (and more durable hopefully) and an iphone, plus child wont care what it looks like”.

You cannot say “give us games instead”. The 3ds has a great library, maybe not for you, but still a great library. This is just one way of pleasing a greater audience (what a shock business move from Nintendo…. they have never done that before….). If you don’t like it . move on. If you are on VG247 , you are probably not the target audience.

#13 1 year ago
  14. fihar

Your definition of not really that much more means a copy of Fire Emblem and Donkey Kong Country Returns for me which is quite a lot by my calculation.
    Of course, I’m just cheap that way.

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

@14, But surely even the non-XL 3DS is better than this and they’re almost like for like with price?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dragon246

@Viral,
    Ignore the hardcore ninty defenders. WE FLY FREELY!

#16 1 year ago
  17. polygem

it’s generally aimed at kids under 7 so parents don’t have to worry that their kids use the 3d effect which is only recommended to use if you are over 6 i think.

did read an article about it somewhere where reggie said that about the device.

it also is a low price OPTION to play some truly awesome games…and it has a very cool kaossilator vibe to it. i like it.

#17 1 year ago
  18. fihar

Yeah, I’m not exactly spoilt for choice here in Indonesia. I’ve been scouting ahead in preparation for Pokemon and most of the brick and mortar stores that I particularly trust aren’t selling the basic model anymore.
    I was planning to buy a 3DS XL with Mario Kart bundled with it but that one is currently priced at twice the 2DS announced price point.

I could afford it somehow but there’s no way I’m going to fork out that much cash when there’s a much cheaper option available.
    And I prefer to have a new one instead of used if possible.

#18 1 year ago
  19. pcbros

Why do people cry about having more options? It’s not like they replaced the 3DS or 3DS XL with this model.

By the way, Nintendo is not the only one making “pointless” options.

Sony released a 12GB PS3 for $200. While you can get a PS3 250GB Bundle with Uncharted 3 & 1-yr PS Plus for $250. A game, a year PS Plus subscription and over 20x the HDD capicity for just $50 more.

At E3 2013, Microsoft revealed a redesign for the Xbox 360. No price drop, same price… yet they removed some connections from the back (no SPDIF and one less USB port). So you pay the same for technically less.

So Nintendo is in good company ;)

#19 1 year ago
  20. silkvg247

See, not too long ago I was bitching that it wasn’t fair to pay extra for 3D you’d never use. Then GAME knocked £40 off the 3DSXL and I bought one anyway, sod it! (3D turned off though).

I like the idea here but not sure why they got rid of the awesome fliplid concept? Some games even use it (zelda map stampage).

#20 1 year ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Anyone thought Nintendo may have looked at how many broken DS hinges have been sent in for repair before they thought of this?

My friends kids broken 2, there must be millions worldwide… A quick ebay search:

Yeah, a shit ton… Think of all the shipping they will save and also, less stress for parents…

#21 1 year ago
  22. pcbros

@21 – With tablets and mini tablets being so popular, this might be Nintendo’s “tablet” :)

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

It does resemble a Wii U pad quite a bit! :)

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

@21. good point actually :)

#24 1 year ago
  25. pcbros

Not sure if they mentioned this, but is the screen the size of the XL or the standard 3DS?

If it’s the size of a XL screen, then people comparing the 2DS with a 3DS (standard) can choose between a bigger non-3D screen for $40 less or a smaller 3DS enabled screen.

Also, the lack of 3D (virtually displaying two simultaneous images) could possible improve game performance? Not sure…

#25 1 year ago
  26. zinc

Monkey hit the nail on the head. Its a durable model for children.

Really is that simple.

#26 1 year ago
  27. fearmonkey

Ars had a great article on this, they could have made this a tablet device that ran 3DS games, might be a missed opportunity.

#27 1 year ago
  28. pcbros

@27 – You mean a single screen that is virtually split? Somehow they would have to have the “dual” screen to support 3DS/DS games.

They could have moved the d-pad/analog stick with the face buttons lower and closer towards the bottom screen… could have shaved a little off the width. Just nitpicking :)

Oh well, I just hope the top screen is the same as the XL…

#28 1 year ago