Kamiya keen on Wonderful 101 sequel, original Bayonetta on Wii U

Thursday, 29th August 2013 12:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Platinum Games’ Hideki Kamiya has expressed interest in creating a sequel to The Wonderful 101 and in bringing the original Bayonetta to Wii U.

Speaking with IGN Benelux Kamiya was asked if he’d like to make a Wonderful 101 sequel, to which he replied, “If I get the chance, I would certainly like to make that game. I really have no idea at this point, but I would love to make a sequel to one of my own games.

“We put a tremendous amount of work into this game and it would be unfortunate if I would not get the chance to tell a new story with these characters. However, some of the bad guys you beat in this game won’t appear in a sequel. That’s kind of a depressing thought.”

When asked if he’d consider bringing the original Bayonetta to Wii U, he added, “I would love to make that happen, so that gamers unfamiliar with the first game get to play it. This is just my personal opinion, however. I have not much say over the matter.

“However, I think designers should always keep in mind that not everyone has played the previous title, even if this was released on the same platform. You have to make sure that even players who are unfamiliar with the franchise are able to keep up.”

When asked if he’d like Platinum to officially become part of the Nintendo family he concluded, “I would love that. It would be great to work more closely with Nintendo.”

What do you make of the above?

1. Biscuitpants

inb4 hurr game sold crap lolz

#1 11 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Well it did so…

Point: I seriously doubt Platinum Games will be successful on Nintendo hardware given Nintendo targeted auidence.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Biscuitpants

@2 yeah but this site is full of repetitive fucks that keep going on about it

#3 11 months ago
  4. Clupula

@3 – Oh noes! People stated facts! How dares they! hurr hurr hurr

#4 11 months ago
  5. viralshag

@2, I think it will be interested to see how the console does with the price cut through Christmas. As long as retailers show it some support and get it out there it should do better. I think some good Xmas bundles with games like Pikmin or W101 would go a long way.

As for the article, I can’t help but find his statement about the first Bayo game a little strange. I imagine Bayo2 only selling to fans of the first that own a WiiU. W101 was surprising in terms of sales, I’m not really sure how Bayo2 is going to fare.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

I’m interested in seeing how the price cut will pan out with the supposed heavy hitters on the way: if it doesn’t lift Wii U like certain people say it will, Nintendo are just going to have to ride it out.

As for Bayonetta 2 i see it selling better than the W101 but not by a large margin, considering a variety of factors: prequel not available, change of platform, audience etc etc.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Biscuitpants

@4 facts or not its repetitive and annoying you smelly fedora

also bayonetta 2 will fail more then w101

#7 11 months ago
  8. Sini

putting bayonetta 1 on eshop makes sense, just port from 360 not the shitty ps3 version.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Clupula

I must admit that no one has ever called me a hat before.

#9 11 months ago
  10. absolutezero

No one buys Platinum games full stop. No one buys GHM games either.

The most profitable Platinum game to date did so by latching onto a massively popular franchise.

Bayonetta 1 sold like shit. I think about a quarter of the people complaining about the follow up being on the WiiU actually played it.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Unknown_Gamer

Current state of Platinum games = Miley Cyrus 2013

#11 11 months ago
  12. Klarden

I’m keen on seeing Bayonetta on PC. With 360 pad being such a popular gamepad on PC, even the color coding of lolipops and other stuff is retained without problem.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Clupula

I certainly played the first Bayonetta.

Getting a platinum trophy in it took forever, but I was damn proud when it happened.

#13 11 months ago
  14. wildBoar

Platinum just needs a decent fucking publisher, that’s all. SEGA sure as shit wasn’t going to push their brands, but teaming up with Nintendo….. I’m not going to buy a Wii U just for u Kamiya…. Make a freaking deal with Konami, or you know, one of those actually decent publishers..

#14 11 months ago
  15. polygem

it would be great. i would buy it again. it will be nice to play this on the gamepad.
    loving the idea of platinum working closer with nintendo. i think it is an alliance that would make a lot of sense. in their games, both pretty much follow a straight vision and focus on that constantly and not so much on trends. it would be a perfect fit and it would help both. platinum can profit from the immense cash reservoirs of nintendo and nintendo will have some awesome exclusive “haaardcorrre” “matuuure” games that are still different to the rest.

if there isn´t a place for niche products like these games anymore because people do not buy them, something´s very wrong with the gaming crowd.

then the hardcore isn´t really that hardcore…pretty much proves it.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Derwarf

I would not say controls are bad.maybe not your thing…. but not bad.

#16 11 months ago
  17. absolutezero

Did someone just say Konami is a decent publisher? D:

#17 11 months ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

I don’t think they are that bad, they have good franchises MGS, PES, ZOE etc etc. If you are thinking about the collections they did then fine. But they are a good publisher i think don’t have any problems with their games which is exclusively MGS. But i could be wrong about other games.

#18 11 months ago
  19. absolutezero

Silent Hill.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

Yeah i completely forgot about Silent Hill.

#20 11 months ago
  21. SameeR_Fisher

Hey, Konami ?!, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 — enough said ((and the old Castlevania titles as well)).

Seriously Konami can be a great publisher, but sadly they are not moving forward nor investing THAT much into game development, they depend on Metal Gear Solid, PES, and now probably Castlevania.

They need to reintroduce Silent Hill as a great survival horror ((no appealing to casual audience shit, I am talking real survival horror)), They can bring back Bloody Roar as their own fighting game, assuming they can make it stand against the tough competition like Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat, if not then it can be a small title like Virtua Fighter, Also Zone of Enders 3 needs to happen, one or another they should make it, also PES should try to re-pull its lost fans, and finally more Castlevania titles ((2D & 3D)), MGS is their biggest franchise and fine just the way it is.

Also if Platinum is going to work with Konami, Don’t do a Castlevania title, I know people love the action of Platinum, but you can have that in Revengance, maybe a sequel to that, in Castlevania I want the next 3D developer to try to make an amazing story as good as MercurySteam, though I doubt anyone can top MercurySteam’s story.

Edit: I forgot there is Contra as well, that MercurySteam may bring back.

#21 11 months ago
  22. darthroseman

Konami is more focused on mobile titles now. They have their big guys, buy don’t want to take a risk anywhere else. They did the horrid Never Dead, then tried Blades of Time, and never advertised it, and then did Skullgirls, and didn’t advertise that either. You know, what a publisher should do. You see how War Thunder has taken off recently. That is Birds of Steel, a game they published for the XBox and PS3. Same exact game. But you’ve probably never heard of it because they SUUUUCK.

#22 11 months ago
  23. SameeR_Fisher

@23: I have to agree with you, they took some risks with Never Dead & Blades of Time, and yes I never heard about Birds of Steel either :D

They do suck when it comes to marketing indeed, but they are not bad developers per say, I am happy with Castlevania Lords of Shadow, hence why I am defending them, but I can imagine your frustration, truth be told even Lords of Shadow 2 isn’t that heavily marketed, evident by the lack of E3 articles/stage demos about it, which is such a shame.

#23 11 months ago
  24. ichikatakuri

@2 I never understood that Nintendo target audience crap. I have owned every home console since the NES and a few from before, been in CoD leagues, CEO of a Corp in Eve, ran a gears of war clan, participated in street fighter tournaments, modded left 4 dead levels, ran halo routines and LAN days, won many consoles from national competitions and am an all round gaming geek, if all Nintendo fans were like me they’d sell a lot of games :-) but I still find their games appeal and they still seem geared around what I like in games so I am their target audience am I not?

#24 11 months ago
  25. Lengendaryboss

Its certainly looks like their target audience is already set, after a brief spell of thinking the Wii U would be for everyone.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Clupula

I didn’t know Konami did Bloody Roar.

#26 11 months ago
  27. SameeR_Fisher

@27: Technically they didn’t, Bloody Roar had multiple publishers, but the developer got absorbed into Konami, and now Konami has are the IP.

#27 11 months ago
  28. ichikatakuri

@26 but using the newly announced 2DS to show they aim for kids is a bit silly isn’t it? I won’t but one but I have a 3DSXL which after the current announcement means the XL is aimed at adults? I still don’t get it, it’s fair enough people want to be that way and have their own thoughts on what they like, but counting any company out just because of a stupidly perceived media fuelled direction means those people miss out on some truly great games. Makes me a little sad, I need to play some more fire emblem :-)

#28 11 months ago
  29. InsaneZucchini

@4 The “facts” are still unclear though. The game has not sold well physically, that is true. But whether the game has not sold well at all can only be confirmed or denied once digital sales figures are released. Because they have been pushing this game heavily for digital sales. Even offering a 30% off discount from the eShop if you purchased Pikmin 3 that way in some regions. They only shipped 30,000 copies to begin with which implies they didn’t expect its physical copies to sell well at all. Compare that to Pikmin 3 which is another niche title that had more than 6 times the number of copies shipped out to retailers.

@2 The Nintendo “target audience” excuse never makes sense to me. N64 had Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Gamecube had Resident Evil (REmake), Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness Sanity’s Requiem, and Geist, Wii had No More Heroes 1 & 2, Madworld. Nintendo gets exclusives/timed exclusives, that are not their “target audience”.

Platinum Games’s games just never reach amazing sales numbers, they’re often great titles that never see the sales numbers they deserve like Okami and Bayonetta. And those were both on systems that had already established large install bases. Okami was on the two best selling home consoles in history and it still didn’t reach great numbers, failing to even move 750k units for either system, even though it received rave reviews.

Resident Evil (REmake) on the other hand sold 1.42 mil copies, RE Zero sold 1.29 mil copies, and RE 4 sold 1.69 mil copies, none of which are among Nintendo’s “target audience” and all of which were on Nintendo’s lowest selling home console, Gamecube, which sold less than a fifth of the systems as Wii and PS2.

As great as Platinum Game’s games are, they can’t seem to do too well when it comes to sales.

#29 11 months ago