Shelter – the lovely badger survival sim from Might & Delight is out now on Steam

Wednesday, 28th August 2013 20:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Might & Delight’s lovely badger survival sim Shelter has been released on Steam. It will run you £7/€9/$10 and you can watch the launch trailer below. Prepare to have some tissues handy if you plan on playing it – at least that’s the impression I get.

1. monkeygourmet

‘Fantasy Violence’…

I can’t watch, it’s going to be like ‘Tarka the Otter’ all over again! :(

#1 11 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

:*(

At least people stopped seeing the otter as “vermin” after the book came out.

Watership Down, Where the Red Fern Grows, all of those. Damn it.

#2 11 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

‘Kids books’ used to be soooo much more intense. I remember reading some of those a almost being in shock for days?! Like, seriously reeling from what I just read.

And man alive, still freak out whenever the ‘Watership down film is on and it gets to ‘that scene’… The stuff of nightmares!

Also, otters have balls of steel! :

#3 11 months ago
  4. TheWulf

I posted about this in the TMNT news article, since people were talking about it there. I’ll bring what I said over here.

Shelter is a lovely thing, but it definitely isn’t for everyone. You have to have a mind open to new experiences in order to want it, it’s the sort of thing that will either pique your curiosity and slowly enthral you, or you’ll be wondering why there’s no gratuitous violence.

It’s an emotional game, as it’s hard to keep your little badger babies alive, but not actually impossible if you’re careful and smart about it. You have to ration well and play it intelligently. So it’s very much a survival game, with an unusual avatar, and mouths to feed.

I have to admit, the first time I saw one of the babies start to turn grey (the indicator of hungriness), curl up, and whimper, I did tear up. I’m a big softie, so this game hits me right in the heart muscle.

The art style is sublime, too. They did this… interesting thing, ignoring light and shadow, mostly, and just going for texture. It ends up having this lovely papercraft look to it, very pastel, very storybook too. And that belies how harsh and even tragic (if you’re not careful) of a tale it can be.

It’s brilliant, really. We’re so used to our comfort zones of nurture that even zombies and guns seem blasé, to the point where we can approach them with a cavalier attitude. I had more fear of the predators in Shelter than I’ve ever had of any zombie or game monster.

You just have to experience it, really.

This, Gone Home, Duck Tales, and Saints Row IV have made this a brilliant couple of months of gaming for me. And LEGO Marvel Super Heroes coming out soon, too. I feel spoiled.

I will say though that Shelter is a more… calm experience. More slow-paced. Definitely something to live rather than something to play, which sounds odd, but you’ll see.

I do recommend this one.

#4 11 months ago
  5. TheWulf

And oh gods, the books named here, there’s a lot of nostalgia attached to those. Watership Down especially.

And I’ve always seen otters as lovely critters, myself. Rats too. People are always far too ready to attach vermin to something. It’s important to remember that rats couldn’t have been responsible for the black death, if not for all that human detritus welling up within and below our living spaces. And the same continues to be true, today.

We’re kind of one of the grossest animals, really. The world is our table, and to say that we have horrendous table manners would be an understatement considering how much filth we have stacked up on top of it.

I’d be more inclined to attach vermin to slobby people, honestly.

#5 11 months ago