EA: no “strategic tilt” to Titanfall’s Xbox exclusivity, in-house games to be platform agnostic says Gibeau

Tuesday, 27th August 2013 11:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Titanfall is only coming to Windows, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and along with initiatives like free FIFA 14 for all European Xbox One pre-orders, suggests that EA is getting into bed with Microsoft quite closely. However, EA’s Frank Gibeau has played down the exclusivity of Respawn’s shooter, and has said the deal bears no “strategic tilt”.

Speaking with CVG, Gibeau was asked to comment on EA’s relationship with Sony at present, to which he replied, “It’s very good.”

Gibeau was then asked if having games exclusive to rival formats undermines the potential commercial success of PS4 after launch. He countered, “Not internally developed EA games. We’re changing nothing in our policy about being platform-agnostic. One of the things that struck me this week is how a tactical deal with one of our platform partners has been blown out and perceived as strategic tilt – that’s a messaging error on our part. There is no strategic tilt.

“The Sony platform and the Xbox platform are both very important to us. If you look at the previous generation we did tactical deals with both Sony and Microsoft throughout the cycle. Titanfall is different, it’s an EA Partners game – everything else is platform agnostic.

“Sony has been executing exceptionally well on the next-gen transition. Their hardware’s hot, they’re clear and disciplined and consistent with their policies, they are showing some amazing things with indies, so overall I couldn’t be more pleased with how they’re executing. I hope both systems are successful – EA succeeds when more platforms are doing well.”

When asked if this means Sony itself may see some PS4-exclusives from EA, Gibeau replied, “It’s a long cycle, and certainly there’s potential with Sony exclusivity deals too.” He later stressed, “I can tell you now, our internal games, the games we make ourselves, will be multiplatform.”

Titanfall is exclusive, but does this mean there could be more deals made in Microsoft’s favour down the line, or – as Gibeau suggests – is this just a rare occurance?

Let us know what you think below.

1. BD

Nobody ever seems to mention that this is a TIMED exclusive.

Meaning it’ll go to PS4, PS3 and whatever in a few months time after release.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 They haven’t said that, have they? My apologies if they have, but I’m fairly sure this is a full-out exclusive (for now).

#2 11 months ago
  3. ps3fanboy

i guess when you pay your half budget of windows8 to get a half arsed exclusivity, you will have it to. people have said windows8 sucks for months now and now you know why, because micro$haft spent the budget on this half arsed exclusivity for the titanfall game. ballmer had to go because of it, but everything to piss off people and tease sony riiigth… if this idiocy of micro$hafts continue, expect to be on linux and apples in the future.

#3 11 months ago
  4. amiga500

Who gives a shit about Titanfalll???
    Another Fps…..in the endless fps list….

Please FGS do not port it to PS4, it has enough Fps games, one more doesn’t change anything.

#4 11 months ago
  5. _LarZen_

@1 People hope and believe it’s a timed exclusive. There is nothing official that it’s a time exclusive.

And if it is a timed exclusive game I bet MS will pay up more to keep it exclusive for as long as possible if not exclusive period. Especially with all the awards the game has gotten at Gamescom.

MS would be smart to pay up to keep this game exclusive for the Xbox forever. It’s clearly a system seller.

EDIT: Titanfall won the award as the best next generation game at Gamescom 2013. No PS4 exclusive game won any awards….

#5 11 months ago
  6. Max Payne

Yea I also Think its payed exclusive. If they can make game for xbox one you can make ps4 version also easy.

#6 11 months ago
  7. tezzer1985

@Dave Lets be real, you write about games and follow the industry, do you think TintanFall will not be on the PS4 within 12 months of the games release, also giving the install base of Xbox 1 by then will probs be on par with PS4

#7 11 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 I didn’t say that, or anything for that matter aside from the fact that right now, it’s not been called a ‘timed’ exclusive.

Bit confused as to what it is I’ve supposed to have said :/

#8 11 months ago
  9. Sylrissa

It’s coming to PC as well, so in my books that isn’t exclusive, so I’ll just pick it up when it comes out on PC

#9 11 months ago
  10. Max Payne

How many times developers actually said ” ok this is timed exclusive game ” ?

#10 11 months ago
  11. ShiiRo

The best proof that it’s a time exclusive is this interview

“Let’s put it plainly: will PlayStation owners ever see Titanfall?

“It’s definitely not out of the question,” Emslie replied. “We have a huge appreciation for the fans. Coming out and showing it to everybody, we’re super nervous and wanted to make sure everybody loved it. We love all our fans, whatever console they support.

“So yeah. We want to make everybody happy, but this is where we’re at right now.”

Now, if it were a full exclusive then why wouldn’t he just say no to the question? It’s pretty obvious that this is another Bioshock or Mass Effect timed exclusive by MS.

#11 11 months ago
  12. ps3fanboy

@11 it will come to the ps4 in a better and improved complete edition with all the patches and dlc. we have seen it happen before with half arsed exclusivity of games. so your right it is a timed exclusivity…

#12 11 months ago
  13. actuallyisnotafox

@9 yeah they love that word exclusive, they say most games are when theyre clearly not :/

#13 11 months ago
  14. viralshag

It’s a console exclusive, in which case they’re correct. Mass Effect was a console exclusive too, which then went multi-plat to the PS3 and WiiU.

Who cares if it’s on the PC? MS aren’t launching the X1 in direct competition with the PC and neither is Sony.

Why are you all getting so hung up on the word “exclusive”? It’s available on ONE console and the PC. If anything it’s a MS exclusive.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Major Mayhem 70

I’m not sure, but what I got out of this article is that Titanfall won’t be coming to PS4 but what is certain is that what EA makes will be out for both consoles. Respawn and EA are “partners” in creating Titanfall and for some reason this “partnership” hinders the chance of PS4 seeing Titanfall. MS must have paid an outrageous amount of dough if this holds true.

#15 11 months ago
  16. ps3fanboy

@14 hey dumbass it is not an exclusive if it appears on other format than one… its a given.

@15 it will come to ps4 sometime that is for sure… but as times exclusivity micro$haft have payed outrageous amount of dough as you say. they have taken the money from the windowns8 budget.

#16 11 months ago
  17. OmegaSlayer

@Dave

The timed exclusive was mentioned by the amous CBoat, a Gaf poster which is probably a Microsoft insider.
    He also told that if whenever an exclusive is not clearly mentioned to be full-time to not believe it, because deals and money are in place to keep things undercover.

So far TitanFall has been branded as a “next-gen exclusive debut” on XBOXOne, like many PS4 indie titles.
    It has to be mentioned that at EA conference at Gamescon Peter Moore didn’t mention the plaforms.
    At last, the pr girl of Respawn mentioned after E3 that the PS4 version has never been ruled out.

So far it’s exclusive, that means timed exclusive.
    It’s also worth of mention that any exclusive deal has install base and sold copies as target parameters.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Lord Gremlin

I’m surprised people care. Multiplayer-only? Besides why would they launch on PS4 – to compete with Killzone 4? That’s 0 sales for Titanfall there, son. Better game with proper and interesting story campaign already coming there… And it has jetpacks and mechs and it had it since Killzone 3.
    Seriously though, timed exclusivity is cake for EA there – they don’t go against Killzone and they get money from MS.
    Personally, I don’t think I’ll play it on anything. I’m mostly interested in SP shooters. If they’re engaging enough, I can get into MP too, that’s how it is with Killzone.
    Anyway, EA is not doing exclusives. They only do timed exclusives and timed exclusive DLC.
    @Dave Cook When it’s timed exclusive devs say “can’t comment right now” and “not out of question”. Also, do you think it would be even feasable to launch it on a platform that has Killzone 4?

#18 11 months ago
  19. CycloneFox

Well it’s good to be a gamer who doesn’t care about any EA-games. I’ll stick with a PS4 and a Wii U as soon as Monoliths next game gets released and don’t care for EA, if I play on my consoles.

Oh and btw. if I want to play titanfall, I would do it on my PC anyway, the platform of choice for fps for me and where all of my friends play shooters, too. I only play shooters like gears of war, uncharted, killzone or halo on consoles because the’re first-party exclusives and nice graphic benchmarks for the consoles. But normally my consoles are platforms for JRPGs or action-adventures.

edit: I’m also pretty sure, that titanfall and also Quantum Break will definitely come to the ps4 after a year or so, or even earlier, if Xbox One doesn’t sell as much as expected, but I wouldn’t bet on that.

edit2 @Lord Gremlin: I wouldn’t see it as extreme. Especially Killzone 3 is one of the best and most underrated shooters to date and I also like shooters with a decent SP more than pure MP shooters, but I suppose, Titanfall might still sell more than Killzone 4, as sad as that sounds. Again, I think, Killzone is by far the better game, but for some reason, I can’t understand, EA games always appeal more to the broad audience. Killzone 4 will of course also perform really well in terms of selling numbers. I think it will sell better than any other Killzone before.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

Quantum Break? No, Titanfall? Possibly.

Comments: Like i said before you cannot change the definition of exclusive to meet your views.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Keivz

For a journalist to call Titanfall “a timed exclusive” without any worthwhile proof to that end (i.e. anonymous posts on Gaf don’t count) would be idiotic.

However, calling a game “exclusive” is taken generally to mean that it WILL NOT be released on a competing platform (Vita and PS4 don’t compete, neither do the 3DS and wii U, or XO & 360) as far as anyone can tell.

I don’t think Titanfall qualifies at this point. It may or may not come to the PS3, which is what “not out of the question” means.

There are many ways to skirt around the semantics,

Titanfall, scheduled to release on the XO, 360, and PC early next year.
    Titanfall, scheduled to release on MS platforms early next year.
    Titanfall, currently exclusive the the XO, 360, and PC, to be released early next year.

…and so on, depending on how you want to tilt things. That probably would calm the fanboys down a bit at least.

#21 11 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

It’s quite clear which game the Sony fanboys are worried about competing with…

First it’s a ‘boring shooter’, then it’s ‘a timed exclusive’…

LOL, insecure much?!

#22 11 months ago
  23. Major Mayhem 70

@ps3fanboy. This is the latest word concerning Titanfall and I read nothing that stated it was time exclusive. Till someone states that Titanfall is in development for the ps3/4. I’m going to have to assume its not going to be available to Sony. That makes sense than to say its a timed exclusive when no where in the article does it say it is. Only time will tell. I pull for both companies so it doesn’t matter. I’ll play Titanfall and killzone.

#23 11 months ago
  24. VibraniumSpork

@22 True enough. I’m getting PS4 at launch but am very envious of this title. I’m hoping the ‘timed-exclusive’ ish has some truth to it as otherwise I’d definitely have to consider picking up an XB1 at some point next year. It just looks a bit special, and the hands-on buzz from VG247 and others only seems to confirm that.

I can only imagine how much MS would love to have had this ready for XB1 launch day though; it’s the very definition of a ‘System Seller’ right now.

#24 11 months ago
  25. bobnice

Could you please provide a link to where Respawn, EA or Microsoft ever said this was a TIMED exclusive please. If you cant I will assume you’re trying to spead misinformation. Thank you.

#25 11 months ago
  26. monkeygourmet

Im guessing that they know the die hard will be in day 1. Especially with Forza 5, DR3.

I don’t think they should be that worried up against Killzone (which is the only launch game i’ll be getting on PS4.)

Titan Fall should hopefully arrive second wave, maybe to combat Infamous Second Son.

Basically, they seem to be doing the exact opposite of Wii U’s game delivery system.

#26 11 months ago
  27. Cobra951

This game is multiplayer only, right? Without good SP, I couldn’t possibly care less which platform(s) see its release.

#27 11 months ago
  28. cluggy89

lmao, been hearing ps4 fans saying this is going to be a timed exclusive since E3 all because respawn entertainment told some reporter that making a ps4 game wasnt off the table in the future. its the same with dead rising 3 as well as quantum break, folk keep bablling about how these are timed exclusives yet i have seen nothing to support any of it, have seen evidence against it though

#28 11 months ago
  29. wildBoar

Like someone else said, they have NEVER said it’s fully exclusive or that it’s never going multiplat, NEVER, and having them say that is LITERALLY the only reason MS would have to buy full exclusivity, and propably have to pay another, say 70M$, over giving them half, 2 years of exclusivity and making an agreement for them to STFU about it.

People may infer what they will, last gen is not a strong indicator to the contrary however.

#29 11 months ago
  30. dkpunk

This is getting ridiculous. This simple fact is that Titanfall is EXCLUSIVE to X1 and PC. There has yet to be anything stating otherwise. Quit living in a dream world people and move on. EA has nothing to do with the game being exclusive. If you read back it was a developer (respawn) decision to make it platform exclusive.

#30 11 months ago