Tomb Raider moves over 4M, Square to develop more persistent online games

Friday, 23rd August 2013 20:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Darrell Gallagher, Square Enix’s newly appointed head of studios in North America and Europe, has said the firm will change the way it approaches games development by creating more persistent online games. Oh – and Tomb Raider has sold over 4 million copies worldwide since its March release.

Speaking in a blog post on Gamasutra, the Crystal Dynamics head stated that games such as Sleeping Dogs and Just Cause 2′s continued popularity have contributed to this new found development idea.

“We see the opportunity for some of our games continuing beyond a traditional beginning, middle, and end,” Gallagher said. “We can have them become extendable and more persistent – with an opportunity to build and grow across games. To design in a way to keep our games alive for years instead of weeks.

“I’m not talking about an MMORPG – although the concept is similar – I’m talking about creating persistent online experiences built on the foundations of the games we are well known for.

“Now, this doesn’t apply to every game, there is no one solution that works in every case, but as a wider goal it’s certainly something which some of our franchises are incredibly well suited to and something I want to explore further.”

Gallagher mentioned Sleeping Dogs has since become a profitable title for the company, after launching to lower-than-expected sales last year. This is due to continued engagement from the player base, which has over 500,000 monthly players.

Just Cause 2, which is over three years, also continues to boast over half a million monthly players.

Meanwhile, Tomb Raider has sold over 4 million units since its release in March, making it the fastest-selling game in the franchise’s history.

The next-gen sequel to the title is already “well into development,” the firm said earlier this month.

Thanks, GI International.

1. sebastien rivas

They have framchises that could be turmed MP/MMO.
    Though beware, the competition is fierce….

Steph: look at the first paragraph “the firm will changing…”. I know I have a broken English but this does not sound right.
    I hope it helps.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Yeah – changing my thought process in the middle of a sentence happens quite a bit after 39 hours of typing – with another day to go! :p I am ancient, it happens to people still lingering since the early 1900s. It’s fixed now :) Thanks for the head’s up.

#2 1 year ago
  3. hitnrun

It’s become increasingly hard to react to Square Enix news through their various mergers, because you’re not sure whether they mean Square Enix or “Square Enix.”

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gheritt White

…or Eidos. Which, in this case, is exactly what’s meant.

Why they deleted the Eidos brand I’ll never know, especially when Square Enix own Taito and that brand’s still going strong.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

So did they say whether or not this fastest selling game in the franchise is still deemed a failure or not? :P

Good on sleeping dogs i enjoyed it for what its worth i would put it up there with favourite open world games, the combat and story was top notch (one more than the other), so theres a lot of potential for a sequel with Multiplayer.

#5 1 year ago
  6. sebastien rivas

No biggy, it happens to me all the time and without working hard ;)

#6 1 year ago
  7. sebastien rivas

4 millions copiez. No its not failure, it is a good strong without frenzy yet

#7 1 year ago
  8. sebastien rivas

Haaa EIDOS. A company I trusted dearly back in the days

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hirmetrium

This is so silly. I mean, surely they remember the backlash over Tomb Raider’s completely unnecessary multiplayer? Right? Right?

Guys?

#9 1 year ago
  10. thesnowman

I enjoyed the new tomb raider, although it isnt a game I would go back to, but I enjoyed it while I played it. Sleeping Dogs also surprised me by being quite good.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

LoL, only 4 mil. Losers.

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

“Hey guys, we reached 4 million sales! We only had to drop the game’s price by $40 in the span of 4 months, and pull some marketing spin that simultaneously follows modern popular gimmicks and trends despite not fitting the character AND makes the original franchise out to be nothing but sexual fetishism.”

#12 1 year ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

Kill Squaresoft before it’s too late.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lounds

Sweeping statement. Can you prove it sold zero?

Because I know I bought it on Steam and it one of my favorite games this generation and I got to play it in full HD textures the way it was meant to be played.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Gheritt White

@16: I think your command of the English language doesn’t stretch to the true definition of the words “all” and “zero”.

But thanks for playing, Captain Shit-for-brains.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

STOP FEEDING THE FUCKING TROLLS.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Stephany Nunneley

The comment numbers in this thread will be “off” due to backup – er um European’s account being marked as spam.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    And my remark makes me look crazy :P

#18 1 year ago
  19. Stephany Nunneley

@18 HAHAH! Not really, no. :)

#19 1 year ago
  20. DSB

Kinda old news though. They already reported selling 3,5 million by the end of March.

#20 1 year ago
  21. SameeR_Fisher

@20: Not really :D, now as of August they sold .5million more, so the net is 4Million.

Any way this is great news regarding Tomb Raider sales, it was an amazing game ((with some flaws of course)), and also bad news regarding the whole online mess.

#21 1 year ago
  22. DSB

@20 But a videogame moving .5 million copies is still not news. It’s PR shtick.

“Ooo, ah, look everybody, a milestone!” ..that you were always going to fucking reach once you told us that you sold 3.4 million copies back in March :P

#22 1 year ago