Kinect Sports Rivals video demonstrates facial scanning tech

Friday, 23rd August 2013 20:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Kinect Sports Rivals uses Kinect to capture the player’s likeness, which can then be used in-game instead of an Xbox Live avatar. You probably already watched the tech demo we posted for it earlier this week, but now a new video showing OXM’s Aoife Wilson getting her face scanned and put in the game. Watch below. Kinect Sports Rivals is out in northern autumn 2014 and will be an Xbox One exclusive.

1. PS4FANB0Y

Can the PMS Camera do this?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Tech-N9ne

Knowing Sony, if the Eye Toy did they’d be bragging about it already.
    So, I don’t think so.

Nice feature to get the ladies all excited and comfortable after a date while planning your next move. ;)

#2 1 year ago
  3. bradk825

Very Nifty. Too bad it got pushed back all the way to Q3 or Q4 next year.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Eregol

Nifty. It gives flat breasted women, boobs they never had. Yay for equality!

#4 1 year ago
  5. PS4FANB0Y

@4 – It’s the PMS4 fanboy… going to every Microsoft article and spewing troll wisdom.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Eregol

Speaking from experience?

#6 1 year ago
  7. PS4FANB0Y

@6 – Don’t hate cuz the PS Camera can’t give you boobs. Those socks will have to do for now.

#7 1 year ago
  8. loci

It did an amazing job with Larry Hyrb…look at that remarkable likeness ~_~

#8 1 year ago
  9. PS4FANB0Y

@8 – Say what you will… but the Kinect 2 surpasses the PS Camera by a long shot. If you think the Kinect 2 falls short in it’s abilities, don’t even bother looking at the PS Camera. Heck, even Sony knew it was trash and removed it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Eregol

The PS camera isn’t designed to track body movements, just the lights on the DS3s and Move controllers. At the very least it offers 1:1 pick up.
    Kinect 2.0 can do mo-cap, and can apparently tell blood pressure etc. but 1:1 movement it cannot. MS have said they’ve reduced lag, but it’s still noticeable.

You seem to have a problem with facts.

#10 1 year ago
  11. cluggy89

@10 LMAO yes, lets look at the FACTS here, what input device has sony got that can track the LIGHTS on the DUAL-SHOCK 3 controller? and nowhere that have the FACTS has ever mentioned a “1:1 pick up” whatever the hell your talking about. oh and the FACT is that its called KINECT, not kinect 2.0 aaand if your so into the facts, where is the source of this supposed statement from microsoft saying that the lag is still noticeable? because everywhere i look it states its NOT noticeable, just use the google machine and two seconds looking at it will tell you that much. you my friend are incorrect on just about everything you said and im sure people would appreciate you removing your problem with the facts XD

#11 1 year ago
  12. hyperjoystick

Hi Guys,

Just a couple of things:
    1- How did they get that T-shirt ready that quickly? I’m no expert on T-shirt-print-thology, but did they plan on recreating her face?
    2- Although I have seen pictures that don’t even resemble the person, I like new tech. Motion games are just not my thing.
    3- Why are we comparing this to Sony? They’re not forcing anybody to buy it with their console.

Seeya

#12 1 year ago
  13. Eregol

@12 At no point did I say MS have said that there is lag. You only have to watch any number of vids and you can see there is still lag.
    It may be called Kinect, but it’s different to the previous iteration, less laggy and with many more extra additions.

Unless you’ve forgotten the camera is not included with the PS4 you’ll know that there is nothing in the box to pick up the lights. Unless you’re desperate for wavy wavy gaming this isn’t exactly a bad thing. It’s not a game breaker anyway. But, it’s what the camera does, and it is 1:1, whether you want to admit it or not.

Kinect is not 1:1, it’s not possible with the current processing software.

#13 1 year ago
  14. cluggy89

@14 ok so the part where you said “MS have said they’ve reduced lag, but it’s still noticeable” just didnt happen? and you have missed my point completely about the lights on the controller, there is NO lights that can be picked up by ANY PS input device on dual-shock THREE. and im wanting to know what you mean by 1:1 pick-up, i have never heard ANYONE use that terminology for kinect or PSC. thats why i said “whatever the hell your talking about”
    *EDIT* i get what you mean now, been up all night, brain didnt work haha. yeah i didnt say the movements were or were not true 1:1 scale i just said i didnt know what you were talking about and i didnt see any fact pertaining to this for the XB1 kinect.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Eregol

@15 No. I said that they said they’ve reduced lag, then I put a comma and added that it’s still noticeable. Wasn’t saying MS said it at all.
    If it was 1:1 then why not say it’s 1:1? They didn’t, they just said they reduced lag.

The PS camera will pick up the light from the DS4 and move controllers. You just have to,buy the camera separately.

Seems I confused the issue by initially typing DS3 rather than 4. Apologies.

#15 1 year ago
  16. cluggy89

lol i get what you meant with the MS said part and i get you meant DS4, just trying to point out if your going to talk about people having a problem with the facts the least you could do is check what your saying.

in relation to 1:1 scale on XB1 Kinect http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Kinect have a little read see.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Eregol

I’ve yet to see a vid show 1:1 movement with Kinect. Granted there’s still time to improve. Any lag and it’s not 1:1.

Also, I tend not to trust IGN articles really. I think there’s a reason they use large print on their site. ;)

#17 1 year ago
  18. Kreion

And what have you seen which proves that the PS4 Camera is any better in that regard? In terms of tech it IS inferior the the Kinect regardless of how you try and spin it. And stop with all this 1:1 bollocks. There is always input lag time on EVERY interface, from wireless controllers to mouse, so even if Sony claimed there was none – they’d be lying. It may be in the miliseconds, but that doesn’t mean you can claim it doesn’t exist.

And stop using 1:1 for this, it’s a ratio and a measure of scale not of input lag. A 1:1 Kinect would just mean you’re the same size on the screen as you are in real life, which would be a bit shit if you had a smaller monitor.

#18 1 year ago
  19. darthroseman

…Wii Motion Plus is 1:1… No camera or information sent to the NSA required. Anyways, prescription in my glasses is over 6 in both eyes, if I take them off, I can see anything over 8 inches away from my eyes clearly. If they gave me any prompt after this ” take off your glasses” prompt, I would be completely screwed.

Side-note, this tech is still really cool, but the Kinect tech was also cool, and no one took advantage of it beyond dancing game. Once they make a worthwhile game using this, I’ll be interested.

#19 1 year ago
  20. MrWaffles

Puppies are nice. Sometimes I play with them at the park and have a lot of fun. Their owners look at me funny, but they’re just jealous I’m getting along with their pets so well.

I just wish you can scan a puppy’s face on your avatar, a dream come true for many if you ask me.

-Waffles

#20 1 year ago
  21. darthroseman

The only furry I ever knew went by Waffles… 0_0

#21 1 year ago
  22. PS4FANB0Y

@10 – So the PS Camera does what the Wii-mote Plus did years ago. Gotcha, yet you complain about the Kinect tracking body, eye, finder and faces.. but suposedly not at true 1:1.

I have yet to see a PS Camera video showing 1:1 motion. Actually, I can’t remember even seeing any PS Camera demo videos.

One of those AT&T kids can see that the Kinect 2 > PS Camera.

#22 1 year ago