Gran Turismo 6 on PS4 may eventually become Gran Turismo 7

Friday, 23rd August 2013 10:50 GMT By Dave Owen

Some thought it a strange choice that Polyphony’s Gran Turismo 6 is a PS3 game instead of a PS4 launch title. However, it looks as though a PS4 version is very much on the cards – it just might end up turning into Gran Turismo 7.

Joystiq reports that Polyphony boss Kazunori Yamauchi made the comments at a gamescom panel. Still, it’s early days on this one. Yamauchi did say that by the time a PS4 version of the game comes around it could have evolved into Gran Turismo 7. However he also added that he didn’t know if the “vision” of Gran Turismo 6 would carry over into the hypthetical Gran Turismo 7. So, it’s all hypothetical at present. What we can take from this is what we already knew – there will be a Gran Turismo in some guise on PS4 in the future.

Gran Turismo 6 will be available on PS3 on December 6, just in time for Christmas.

1. VibraniumSpork

To be honest I though the visuals shown at Gamescon for GT6 were so good that they could have passed for PS4 already…better than Driveclub maybe?

#1 11 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

I knew it! i knew thats what he meant when he said PS4 version in mind.

GT 7 launches? 2016?

#2 11 months ago
  3. Hcw87

That says more about Driveclub than Gran Turismo.

Anyway, i’ve played the demo and it really did not feel like a sequel to me. The handling (sure i didn’t use a wheel, but i never do on racers anyway), the engine sounds and the graphics were exactly like i remember from GT5. Racing games really need some innovation soon. Forza Horizon was great because it was different than the typical racer.

Needs more open world, like The Crew.

#3 11 months ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

@3 True. That recent alpha footage from Driveclub didn’t look all that great -_-

#4 11 months ago
  5. diego-rbb-93

Even if it take 3 years, Yamauchi and their team should still have respect to work and take their time to pull great new limits for GT over this brand new machine (i dont mind what happened with GT5, thanks to that GT6 came fast and its a great last gift for PS3 ending games.

People is in love for Project Cars and Yamauchi could bring something like that and beyond on PS4, but things need time.

I prefer a brand new vision for PS4 rather than a port of GT6 vision.

You want a port of GT6 vision? Well damn, bring it to Vita, f*ck!

#5 11 months ago
  6. fengato

It’s sad there’s no no version of GT6 readily available for PS4. Hell I’d take an up-rez with a solid framerate – as it’s not available, I’ll be skipping this entry (as a big GT fan, that’s a first for me.)

#6 11 months ago
  7. Belmont

@1 and 4

GT6 is certainly looking really good, it is absolutely the most gorgeous racer on the old hardware and comes very close to something like what Driveclub looks right now (But we shouldn’t judge driveclub on a piece of Alpha footage).

The handling, as I saw with GT Academy is dramatically different (weight shifts are more pronounced), graphics are also better (Higher resolution,better lighting).

Regarding innovation, If innovation is about open world racing, GT should never innovate. Each game should keep its basic vibe and style for itself. There is The crew, NFS and many others for open world racing. I take Nurburgring over “vast and open Awesome country” any day.

I prefer GT to play to its strengths, which are gorgeous cars, technical tracks and lots of driving precision as you shave seconds off the lap time.

#7 11 months ago
  8. xxJPRACERxx

I have both Forza 5 and GT 6 on pre-order. I don’t know which one I’ll play more, probably Forza 5. But what Polyphony have done on the PS3 is outstanding!

#8 11 months ago
  9. fengato

“People should be more patient about GT7. I dont think PS4 deserve a GT6 port only to enable Gran Turismo the soonest posible on PS4.”

I don’t agree with that. GT6 on PS3 really isn’t a big enough step up from GT5. PD need to keep it fresh, and GT6 really just feels like an expansion. We need new visuals, new sound, better AI – all this should have been headed straight to the PS4.

#9 11 months ago
  10. GK

every second GT game is allmost perfect,so PS3 gets good product,if we take count,so 7 gonna be flop :) i better wait 6 then 7 :D

#10 11 months ago
  11. fihar

Updated visuals and sounds don’t make a game any fresher and there’s absolutely no guarantee that a new machine would mean better AI. PD just sucks at coding them it seems.

It’s a bit too early to say that GT6 doesn’t innovate enough when we haven’t seen anything about how career mode, customization and online is going to be this time around, 3 key areas where GT is lacking compared to the competition other than AI and damage modelling.

#11 11 months ago
  12. diego-rbb-93

#9 For that reason, you are agreeing with me. As GT6 only feel like a expansion, it needs better visuals, sound, AI…

… Which need more work in order to pull and make it feel like a real big step.

If not, what you are saying is “bring me this expansion more radiant”. EA and Konami really knows about that. Ask for first FIFA and PES editions on PS3.

#12 11 months ago
  13. SlayerGT

I have confidence that GT7 will not take as long to develop as GT5 did. Since the announcement of PS4, Yamauchi has confirmed twice that the delay was due to difficulty coding on Cell, and learning to do online functionality..neither of which should be problems on PS4.

@7 +1

#13 11 months ago
  14. fengato

@12 – my point is that they were wasting their time eking out improvements for GT6 on PS3, when they should have been investing in the PS4 version the whole time. Just look at the framerate in the current demo.

Damage is done now, so that’s why a quick up-res and stable framerate for PS4 would be appreciated. The PS3 is simply not up to Kazunori’s vision – and having to make do with DriveClub is laughable.

edit: I should note that I have a very large GT collection that includes most of the Japanese demos and rarities – I’m a big fan. Sadly it seems that I’ll be looking to Forza for my next gen hit.

#14 11 months ago