Beyond: Two Souls has no game over screen, even if Jodi dies

Friday, 23rd August 2013 08:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

David Cage is not a believer in fail states or game over screens, so even if players let protagonist Jodi die, Beyond: Two Souls won’t load back to the last checkpoint.

“I’ve always felt that ‘game over’ is a state of failure more for the game designer than from the player. It’s like creating an artificial loop saying, ‘You didn’t play the game the way I wanted you to play, so now you’re punished and you’re going to come back and play it again until you do what I want you to do.’ In an action game, I can get that – why not? It’s all about skills. But in a story-driven experience it doesn’t make any sense,” Cage told Joystiq at gamescom.

Although players have a particular goal in each segment of the game, there are multiple scenarios available after each one, so “failing” just means seeing one of two options rather than having to go back and do something again. This holds true even when the goal is Jodi’s survival.

“It’s a game about death, so you can imagine that death plays a role in all of this. Actually, it’s one of the big discoveries – one of the big mysteries in the game is to discover what’s on the other side. And it’s definitely not a black screen,” Cage promised.

Beyond: Two Souls is a PlayStation 3 exclusive coming in early October.

1. monkeygourmet

How edgy…

No matter what he says, this ‘story’ will never encompass even 1% of the raw emotion this ‘game over’ screen evoked in many young players:

#1 11 months ago
  2. Belmont

I don’t get it, so if I die the game wraps up, straight to credits ? or Aiden revives jodie ?

#2 11 months ago
  3. MFBB

You probably can come back somehow.

I wonder if its part of the story, like she cant die cause the ghost Aiden brings her back all the time.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Belmont

@MFBB

It will look bad if she can’t die and is constantly revived , Wolverine !

#4 11 months ago
  5. dsr

I bet it will be something like PREY.
    You die, go into some “otherworld”, fight for your life, then go back.

#5 11 months ago
  6. absolutezero

Yeah its pretty much Prince of Persia 2008.

Could be worse.

#6 11 months ago
  7. runekey

It’s like none of you have played Heavy Rain. In that game, when a playable character dies they are dead- period. The story continues with the remaining characters and is changed based on that death. Personally I am very glad to hear this- the perma death in Heavy Rain made everything way more suspenseful and meaningful. I’ve never been so anxious while playing a game than I was while playing Heavy Rain

#7 11 months ago
  8. diego-rbb-93

Well, in Farehnheit that already happened. Every time you lose is was something like, “this is how your story ends”, its like having hundreds of endings.

I remember drinking whisky and then taking pills in the protagonist apartment. Didnt remembered that a combination like that would killed him. It was surprising and unexpected.

So their is how the story ended. I killed the main character by accident. Now go and see what would have happened if that didnt happened, and continue the story.

#8 11 months ago
  9. 2021vince

@6 as soon as i read the article i was like noooooooooooo and had a flash back of the girl saving him from evey fall

#9 11 months ago
  10. Lloytron

He makes it sound like this is something new… it isn’t.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Solnem

But making it sound new seems to work. At least that’s what I think Apple kinda does, haha.
    No really. If it’s like in Heavy Rain, it could be interesting.

#11 11 months ago