PS Vita still has a place in the handheld market, says Yoshida

Thursday, 22nd August 2013 13:23 GMT By Dave Owen

The Vita has under-performed since its worldwide 2012 launch. In a market where dedicated handhelds are in danger of getting squeezed out, president of SCE Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has insisted that Sony can still play a significant role in the handheld market.

CVG asked Yoshida whether he thinks the Vita will Sony’s last portable gaming system, and whether or not he sees the company continuing to play a role in the handheld market in the future. “”Yeah I think we can still pursue it, and I don’t think we have to make that decision now.

“Also, the distinction between the portables and mobile is [blurring], because there are all kinds of hybrids, different form factors and operating systems can still be conceived, in terms of how we characterise portable and mobile. We still like PS Vita and we know people who buy it really like it.”

The Vita price-tag was cut in Japan back in February, and Sony has now announced a price drop in the US and Europe too. A significant portion of the company’s gamescom event was focused on Vita, showing not only new games coming to the system, but also how it’ll work with almost all PS4 games to support off-screen play. Only time will tell how this will affect Vita’s fortunes.

1. VibraniumSpork

“We still like PS Vita and we know people who buy it really like it.” – Damn right!

#1 11 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Are Nintendo & Sony sharing their marketing team for Wii U and Vita?

Such much begging, really not attractive lol

#2 11 months ago
  3. Joe Musashi

‘Such’ much Begging? Examples please.

JM

#3 11 months ago
  4. mistermogul

“and Sony has now announced a price drop in the US and Europe too”

Yeah but I’m still waiting for the retailers to actually drop their prices!

In the UK only Zavvi has done so far, with Game, Shopto etc all the same as they were…?

I’m not biting until I’ve seen all the new offers, however so far there aren’t any!

#4 11 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

@4 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Vita-Wi-Fi-only/dp/B0054Q82WI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377175514&sr=8-1&keywords=vita

Amazon have the £149.00 price and an extra £20 gets you the 10 game Mega Pack/8GB Memory Card bundle ;)

#5 11 months ago
  6. actuallyisnotafox

oh ofcourse it does! mobile phone games will never have that edge, especially when it comes to controls, animal crossing new leaf on the 3ds is an example of that. that people still use handhelds and want that over touchscreen only controls that limit you. im sure a lot of people have psp memories and the vita is working towards that. plus the addition of borderlands 2 shows the type of games we can work towards. looks very promising for those people who want a full rpg game or a fps when theyre laying in bed, on the train or just around friends.

#6 11 months ago
  7. VibraniumSpork

The 16GB card is down to a far more reasonable £25.00 too…think I paid about £45 for the same card a couple of months ago -_-

#7 11 months ago
  8. mistermogul

@5 – Thanks for that.

I’m glad the memory cards have come down. I noticed Sainbury’s have the 32Gb for £43! Game still have it for nearly double at £79.99 lol!

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@8 Its probably just a matter of reducing the prices. They’ll get around to it.

Definitely going to be getting one of these now that the memory cards are actually affordable. I don’t even need to buy any games. With Plus, I already have a giant backlog of titles for the handheld to play.

€207 on Amazon for a Vita with a 32GB memory card… ugh… so bloody tempting… must resist… need to save…

#9 11 months ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

@8 No probs man ;) £43 for the 32GB ain’t too bad! To be fair I’ve rarely had any space issues at all with 16GB though; I tend to have 3-4 full ‘retail’ games on there at any one time with a few PSN titles alongside too.

The real bargain will be in pre-owned. Once Game catch up to Amazon I can see them selling for under £100 maybe?

#10 11 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

Someone tell me it’s a bad idea to throw away €200 of my money before I accidental click the “Buy” button on Amazon.

#11 11 months ago
  12. DrDamn

If you have a use for mobile gaming and a PS+ sub already then it’s a near no-brainer.

Edit: Oh a bad idea? Errm, nah I got nothin’ ;)

#12 11 months ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

@11 Do it! You need the Killzone: Mercenary Beta in your life if nothing else ^_^

#13 11 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@11 But I need to saaaaaaaaaave…. raaaaarrggh…

@11 I really don’t. =P Not a big FPS person.

#14 11 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

It’s an okay console, but the novelty can wear off quite quickly.

The best games on the system are the ones that aren’t trying to ‘ape’ home console games IMO. Uncharted, AC etc.. I found those kind of titles severly lacking.

I’ve used mine mostly to emulate PSP / PS1 classics and for Indie stuff.

If you do take the plunge, you may need a ‘handgrip’, I’ve got the Hori one, it helps alot to stop gettting ‘hand claw’.

For Indie stuff, it’s great though, what type of games do you like playing?

Edit:

You already have a 3DSXL don’t you?

If you haven’t, I would go with that over Vita if I had to pick between the two.

#15 11 months ago
  16. monkeygourmet

“We still like PS Vita and we know people who buy it really like it”

Yeah, maybe ‘begging’ is the wrong word, but if you have to say things like that you’re already in trouble really.

#16 11 months ago
  17. mistermogul

I just nipped into HMV and they have got Vita for the bargain price of £230. Though that does come with a “free” 4Gb memory card! lol

Game next door had it at £180 with the 8Gb Mega Pack…

Think I’m gonna hold out a little longer in case better deals come along but like @11 my finger is getting twitchy on the buy button!

#17 11 months ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@15 I play pretty much everything. I’m more interested in quality. I don’t have genre preferences.

There’s plenty of stuff on it that I want to play, or I wouldn’t even consider it, and I can easily afford. I should just be doing the sensible thing and saving instead. =P

#18 11 months ago
  19. monkeygourmet

We all know how boring saving is though! ;)

It def has some cool stuff, and with a good size memory card and PS Plus, there is ALOT of cool freebies straight off the bat.

I highly recommend:

Guacamelee
    Thomas was Alone
    Gravity Rush is free
    Uncharted is free (just as a graphics whore demo)
    Lego Lord of the Rings is Free on Plus
    Virtues Last Reward is free on Plus
    LBP Vita is nice

Also, loads of nice import PS1 games and shmups and games like Tomba 2, SOTN etc…

And PSP stuff is on sale with plus atm.

Overall, You get quite alot of access to stuff by just getting the console, a large memory stick and plus.

#19 11 months ago
  20. polygem

i gave mine to a friend yesterday so he can check it out. became a dad. twice. needs more bitesized gaming action.
    i definitely enjoy it but i do not like the hardware much. lots of games are IMO! absolutely rubbish, like resistance, gravity rush, uncharted etc. tbh none of the retail games are must plays really. some have severe controll issues. where that thing really starts to shine now are the indies.
    i definitely prefer the 3ds though.
    it’s all taste and preference.

#20 11 months ago
  21. IrrationalGamer

Last place.

/trollin’

#21 11 months ago
  22. Meatball

Well, there go the last barriers I had to buying one….
    Just out of curiosity, though, is it worth buying boxed copies of games, or am I better off getting a big memory card and just downloading everything?

#22 11 months ago
  23. DrDamn

PS+ and bigger memory card are the best place to start – that gets you a decent game collection and new stuff every month. Don’t worry about boxed apart from stuff you have to have new and will play through quick. The whole idea of a handheld is much better when you don’t have to faff with cartridges.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Meatball

Thanks for the answer (and for confirming my suspicions on boxed games)!

#24 11 months ago
  25. xFidelCashflow

All I needed was a memory card price drop

#25 11 months ago