EA wants to make Star Wars games that make ‘your jaw drop’

Thursday, 22nd August 2013 08:08 GMT By Dave Owen

EA wants to refresh the Star Wars license, and the first step will be taken with the recently announced Star Wars: Battlefront. The game is in development at DICE.

“The most important thing for me is that we take the Star Wars license and come up with games where peoples’ jaws drop,” said Patrick Soderlund of EA games to Polygon. “We need to do with this what [Batman: Arkham Asylum] did for the Batman license.”

Star Wars: Battlefront is the first game to be announced after EA secured rights with Disney to work with the Star Wars license. The Battlefront franchise is one of the more popular Star Wars game series, but it hit a stumbling block when Battlefront 3, well into development at Free Radical, was cancelled in 2008. The team at DICE will have access to this work, according to Soderlund.

“We didn’t toss anything out,” he said. “We’re looking at the old games. We have access to everything that was done during the LucasArts era. But we do want to take our own stance.”

What are your hopes for Star Wars: Battlefront?

1. xXNapsterManXx

yes please.

#1 1 year ago
  2. GrimRita

I doubt it very much. However, the proof will be in the eating and please for the love of god, dont put this on Origin only. For me, it would be interesting to see if EA return to Republic Commando as well. One of my personal favourites.

#2 1 year ago
  3. MFBB

If they make a PC version it will of course only be avaibable on Origin, its a EA game.

They dont want to support Steam and give Valve 30% of the sales when they have their own distribution platform they want to support.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Max Payne

When they say : ”But we do want to take our own stance” basically more leveling,dlc features and social connection via facebook,battle log and smartphone integration.

#4 1 year ago
  5. pukem0n

they always do, be it positively or negatively…

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

@3, even though The Sims, their biggest PC franchise is still available on Steam?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sciva

I’m really hoping it isn’t Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, the only thing that’s going to make my jaw drop if it’s faithful to the rest of the franchice and not turned into some corridor shooter with tacked on multiplayer.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dendroball

@6 EA left a few iterations of their franchises on Steam, people seem to forget that (for example: the first two Dead Space, the first two Crysis, Sim City 4, Bulletstorm, some C&C, Sims, Mirror’s Edge and so on) but clearly from now on none of their new releases will find its way to Steam (apart from some partner publishing exceptions) and this is only making sense as they want to leverage their own platform Origin.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Neroist

More so than Battlefront, EA has Bioware to make KOTOR 3 finally. You can have the shooters. I want my RPG’s done in D20 thank you.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Blackened Halo

your jaw drop in an EA sense means tons of cut-scenes, cinematic sequences, a movie feeling and 0% gameplay

#10 1 year ago
  11. sebastien rivas

+1 it is not the first time I see/feel EA pulling this.
    Though we must remain open, wait, and see.

Good, good, good. I hope they do so. I will feel safer when I go on Steam to choose any game with a blindfold, pay/download and not get internet requirement for a SOLO game I try to play at work where I have no internet whatsoever!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dendroball

@11 I’m afraid I don’t get your comment because as far as I know Steam is not preventing any publisher from distributing an Always On DRM type of game on Steam (for example Ubisoft was actually just doing that with Assassin’s Creed 2 before they dropped the always on thing entirely).

But I think you were actually thinking of Sim City and its Always On DRM, being pretty much the only Always On game from EA and considering the backlash it produced and the fact that the upcoming Sims 4 will be offline, we can safely assume EA is trying to get away from the Always On as the cons caused by servers outages far outweigh the pros (preventing piracy).

#12 1 year ago
  13. sebastien rivas

I don’t know shit about nothing, I am not an encyclopedia of games or of technicals aspects of it.
    What I can say is those EA games I have require a dam internet connection even though they are or have solo game mode. No other games requires internet connection in my Steam library. I just leave Steam offline all week end and still can access my games but EAs. As soon as I try to play I have a very ugly 80′s like windows 3.1 window opening with a EA in big that mentions sorry buddy but can’t play that game without internet. I was so pissed…
    I don’t have the games I tried in my hand at this moment, I left my laptop at work.
    Preventing or better eradicate piracy, hell go ahead I am with you. Same preventing or eradicate piracy that prevents me from using the game in any way or any forms and from a game that I purchased regardless 1st hand/2nd hand, online or from a store, full price or ridiculously low price and I get pissed easily and raise my middle finger at the publisher, period!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dendroball

@13 Again I didn’t say anything to support alway on DRM, just talking about my own experience with Origin and seeing that I can play pretty much all of my dozen of EA games offline with the exception of BF3.

#14 1 year ago