Sony focusing on Remote Play with Vita instead of Cross-Controller support because people lack “four eyes”

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 21:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has said it is focusing more on Remote Play between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita instead of using the latter as second controller because “people don’t have four eyes.”

Speaking in an interview with CVG at gamescom, Sony World Wide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said the firm tried out dual-screen gaming with LittleBigPlanet’s Cross-Controller support, and while it is interesting in theory, “you have to tell people when to watch the portable and watch the TV.”

“But people don’t have four eyes, so I think that’s why we are focusing on Remote Play,” he said. “I like playing console games in bed on Vita.”

Almost all PS4 games can be played remotely on Vita going forward, and the tech was demonstrated yesterday during Sony’s gamescom press conference when Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot took the stage to show how it works in Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag.

PS4 is out in November.

1. monkeygourmet

Sony must have overdosed on the ‘asshole’ pills before Gamescom! :)

How bitchy!

#1 8 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

So: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmehtoQtUp1qkfk6qo1_500.gif

#2 8 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

Speak for yourself!

#3 8 months ago
  4. lexph3re

I have an extra pair of over lapping eyes :’(

#4 8 months ago
  5. manamana

I love my Vita and it’s getting better day by day :)

#5 8 months ago
  6. Clupula

Burn, yo!

#6 8 months ago
  7. Clupula

Still, they are bringing up a simple biological fact that Nintendo seem to have not gotten the memo about.

#7 8 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

Come on grandpa, It’s really not that difficult! :)

#8 8 months ago
  9. jeffb01

I love my vita and am excited for using it for ps4 remote play. I did buy the cross-controller dlc for LBP 2 and, at least in that dlc, was an unneeded gimmick. I think I agree with sony.

#9 8 months ago
  10. machy

Q can we use the vita as 2nd screen when 2 players playing split screen ”one take the tv and the other vita” ????

#10 8 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

@10^^ – They should definitely try to make that a reality.

#11 8 months ago
  12. machy

@11 so there’s no confirmation from sony yet ? fingers crossed

#12 8 months ago
  13. pcbros

“I like playing console games in bed on Vita.”

I toyed with the Vita at Best Buy and I didn’t feel the analog sticks were that good. Did you guys get used to it or do you feel playing FPS will suffer if played with a Vita?

I played Uncharted on Vita and it just didn’t feel the same.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Juice_Man101

@13 After playing COD, Uncharted , and the Killzone beta, I can tell you that you get used to it with COD and Killzone but Uncharted controls badly no matter what you do.

#14 8 months ago
  15. wally10975

@13 it definitely isn’t the same as the DS3′s sticks, but you do adjust to them after time, or at least I did. That was the biggest thing when I got mine that I didn’t like, in fact, it was and has been the only this I didn’t like about the system itself. The memory card price, and drought of games I didn’t like either, but that stuff can be easily fixed.

@14 you have to learn to use the touch controls at times. I know, it seems like a bitch at first, but eventually you get used to it, and it really doesn’t affect the game play at all.

#15 8 months ago
  16. wally10975

#16 8 months ago
  17. pcbros

I’m surprised they didn’t do a redesigned Vita to go along with the price drop. It would breath new life into a somewhat struggling system.

I wonder if PS4 indie games will be downloable on the Vita (the ones that come out for both PS4 and Vita) for no charge.

#17 8 months ago
  18. sebastien rivas

Vita is dissociated from ps4. I believe it is too early to make such assumption that people need 4 eyes to play a game. Vita would add much to gaming experience on ps4.
    Eg:
    1- carto/map
    2- character sheet (level up)
    3- some game have use to rid off (some) ps4 ui and vita integrated.
    The list could go on to lift up functions off ps4 and integrate it to vita.

I would suggest Sony to not think exclusively about 1st party titles which may indeed not offer much integration but it does not mean people need 4 eyes.
    That seems more of a vita killer than a vita sell booster!!!

#18 8 months ago
  19. polygem

they are getting a bit too bitchy for my taste…
    had to roll eyes here and there at their gamescom show. i mean, it’s sony, they have very mediocore online features a crap ui, an outdated and unsexy controller and some very shallow first party games :)
    …they got lots of stuff to prove with ps4 before they can start playing the cool kid imo.

#19 8 months ago
  20. zoopdeloop

@19 Microsoft have been like this and much worse for years.I didn’t hear you shaft them in that manner…oh wait it must been those fanboy glasses you’re wearing to play THEIR shallow generic games that kept your mouth shut :P

#20 8 months ago
  21. polygem

oh i pissed all over ms a million times. no worries. even pissed all over halo 4 and man i do wear some serious master chief glasses all day long.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Christopher Jack

Anyone have any idea if the Vita can support the functions like Battlefield Commander or that Division thing? Cheaper than the average tablet while still physically strong enough to do that kinda shit. Both that & using the Vita for multiplayer would be brilliant IMO.

@22, Generally speaking I think the only decent thing a second screen will provide is moving the HUD & options away from the larger screen. For most people that’s just not that big of a deal but I think it could add some atmosphere, particularly to horror & survival games- but then again you’ll need to divert your attention from the screen just to check on that kinda shit so really double bladed sword.

#22 8 months ago
  23. redwood

@1 .. hahahaah that’s an awesome line.. you made my day!!!!
    and yeah apparently yoshida has a knack for talking like that :D

#23 8 months ago
  24. pcbros

I think this is Sony’s way of saying, “We don’t know how to make use of a second screen, so we will just stream content to the Vita over WiFi.”

Honestly, at least give people the option. #18 had some uses for a second screen.

#24 8 months ago
  25. DrDamn

The option is there if devs want to use it.

#25 8 months ago
  26. pcbros

The article made it seem they were going the streaming route and leaving behind cross-play.

So what the heck is the point of this article? lol…

#26 8 months ago
  27. fuchikoma

That’s sensible. People said that about the DS too, and… they were right! Most of the time, one of the screens is just a menu or data that could go on a HUD. Sometimes they tried to use both at once like with TWEWY, but… that crap’s impossible. The rest of the game is good, except for that part, which was kind of acknowledged when they ported it to phones.

They’re not saying the systems can’t work that way too – but why focus on it when it’s so hit-and-miss it would very rarely add to a game?

#27 8 months ago