Mirror’s Edge reboot wouldn’t have been possible on current platforms, says Söderlund

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 23:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mirror’s Edge is a “true next-gen idea” which would not have been possible on current platforms, according to EA Games vice president Patrick Söderlund, who said bringing it to next-gen “felt right.”

Speaking with Polygon during gamescom,Söderlund reiterated that the design of the game appealed to him after senior producer Sara Jansson presented her concept for the reboot.

“It just happened to be a game design that I don’t think you can build on an old-gen machine,” Söderlund said. “It doesn’t work the way it’s designed. And that also appeals to me. We could maybe get it to work on one, but we would have to compromise on too many things. With this we didn’t have to. It’s a true next-gen idea. With next-gen execution and that felt right.

“It was something that I just looked at and said, we have it, let’s do this. It wasn’t so much the story, even though that’s very important, but it was about the game and how the game was going to be played and what you can do and what Faith does. It amplified the things that were good with Mirror’s Edge and downplayed the things that were bad in a very natural cool way and combined it with a bunch of really inspiring cool things.”

Mirror’s Edge will be an “open-world action adventure game” on next-gen consoles and PC and is currently without a release date.

1. pcbros

One of my all-time favorite games of this current generation! Can’t wait to see this game. :)

#1 11 months ago
  2. TF_PtMaster

@1 +1

#2 11 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Show me why and ill believe you! :)

But, yeah, first game was great!

#3 11 months ago
  4. pcbros

@3 – I’m assuming the power of the next-generation systems will allow the kind of open world design they are planning to do. Open world games on current gen consoles usually take a visual and framerate hit.

We need Faith “running” at 60fps…

#4 11 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

And guns!

There were far too few in ME 1… (Fully joking!) :)

#5 11 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

I like the new Faith.

#6 11 months ago
  7. TF_PtMaster

Please take all the time you need to deliver a fantastic game.

Battlefield, Battlefront and Mirrors Edge. DICE have their hands full.

#7 11 months ago
  8. TheWulf

What’s the best way to sell a game?
    Convince them it does something new, and does it well… maybe?
    Yeah, but how do we do that cheaply and easily?
    Hop on the ‘next gen’ bandwagon and tell them that this is something that only their new console can do? If we help them justify the definitively tiny yet expensive upgrade now sitting in their living room, they’ll be attached to our game all the more. It’s cognitive dissonance at its best, and working for us! We tell them that only their shiny new console can do this, and suddenly it becomes an impossibly superior game, even though teeechnically we could do it easily on the current gen.
    Wow. Okay. Yeah.

This just cheapens Mirror’s Edge 2, really. There’s barely any difference between a 360 and an XBox One, or a PS3 and a PS4. The increment will be barely noticeable to the vast majority of people, and the only ones who will notice it will be akin to the PC Master Race in going on and on about the importance of fidelity.

No new gameplay is going to come from this. It’s not magic. It’s technology. We should all understand how it works, or I should really hope so. In fact, the only tech that could provide you with a completely different experience is perhaps something like the Oculus Rift, but even then that’s still too awkward to use for the long term.

How about they tell us what makes Mirror’s Edge 2 such a herculean feat of brilliance instead of just saying that the ‘next gen’ will make it magically ooh-ahh-handwave amazing?

Why not just show us the game?

Sadly, all I’ve seen thus far is them showing the part that no proper Mirror’s Edge fan actually liked — the combat. That’s all we’ve truly seen of Mirror’s Edge 2.

This worries me.

And ‘the next-gen will make everything terrifically magically superior‘ doesn’t set my mind at ease regarding one of my favourite IPs.

Just show us the game, EA. Stop politicking.

#8 11 months ago
  9. sebastien rivas

@ 8
    wooowww +1

I must say they do attract me with “true next gen” so thank for putting me back on my feet, I was feeling “heliumated” ;)

#9 11 months ago
  10. k1llabeast

Good, this means it’s actually next-gen.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Agt_Pendergast

As much as I loved the original and as much as I’d like to see a sequel/reboot/whatever fixing the minor issues in the first game, for some reason I have very little faith (pun unintended) that this will actually turn out all that great.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Neroist

@8 Are you serious? You do understand that the current gen only have 512 MB of RAM? They can only handle a very small amount of processes at one time. That means less AI, less fill rate, less shading, less motion, less population of game world objects and physics.
    You want unpopulated worlds with pop in textures, horrible physics, and stupid AI in your games?
    Games being designed to be able to run on current gen consoles have been an anchor to what is capable.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Obernox

I think i’m the only one who didn’t like Mirror’s Edge… Clunky, shoddy platforming controls, terrible Esurance cutscenes, bad story, and worst of all, bland setting.

I’m hoping they’ll fix the issues i had with the original, especially if it’s open-world.

#13 11 months ago
  14. budoshi

but it would have ben possible on current pc hardware.

#14 11 months ago