Dungeon Keeper headed to mobile in northern winter

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 07:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA Mobile has a new version of Bullfrog classic Dungeon Keeper headed to Android and iOS.

The news comes via Kotaku, which reports a northern winter release for the management and base construction title.

Details are thin on the ground, with no word on business model or developer as yet, but players will be able to invade each others’ dungeons. Dungeon building and raiding is turning into a bit of a thing after taking more than a decade off; The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot and freshly-announced Fable Legends both offer this type of gameplay, for example.

Here are some screens. More details as we receive them.

1. Blackened Halo

Yes!! …Oh no, I was awaiting Dungeon Master:(

#1 11 months ago
  2. robmlufc

All time classic! Horny :)

#2 11 months ago
  3. Deyja

This hurts. One of my favorite series ending up on mobiles. It just hurts.

#3 11 months ago
  4. ArithonUK

Forget Half-Life 3, I’ve been waiting for Dungeon Keeper III since 1999! I have the trailer and everything!!

#4 11 months ago
  5. Ignatius_Cheese

Well this looks shite :(

All the character of the original two games have been stripped away for a microtransaction mobile release.

*Sigh*

#5 11 months ago
  6. sh4dow

As a huge fan of the original, let me just say how much this makes me wanna puke!

Both Diablo and Dungeon Keeper going down similar roads. I loved the originals for their gory fantasy action (not JUST that obviously. But it was an important part). And what have they been reduced to?! MAN!!!

#6 11 months ago
  7. Enjou

Dungeons are not meant to be that colorful and cheery. EA doesn’t understand what we liked about the originals so much.

If you want a real DK like experience, put your hopes on War for the Overworld. They’ve even got the original narrator from the first two DK games.

#7 11 months ago
  8. sh4dow

I only just realized… is that fucking Horny SMILING?!?!

#8 11 months ago
  9. sebastien rivas

Another EA hands on title which I assume appears to be with hopes to get more audience(s) but it is just as you stated in your first paragraph and that new title may probably have similarities with DA1~DA2 uproar if the community for that title franchise is strong enough to voice up.

I feel you, I feel you. I never played the original per se but according to the image I just saw it is like my assumption about @7.
    I wish and hope at least they kept the gameplay intact and/or brought it a growth without targetting more audience(s) too (dumbing it down hard).

#9 11 months ago
  10. sebastien rivas

@6 and @7
    At the same time, something I realise is that game is ported to mobil market.
    While noir/dark/evil game would be cool, it may engender uproar for being too glauk and visually too dark, yet, I assume just like you two I strongly think it is not impossible to achieve it, at least to a certain extent and I bear regrets.

And yes now I remember, I played the first DK back in the 90′s and I liked it, it was fun but it was no so dark either. Maybe it evolved with sequels…. did it?

#10 11 months ago
  11. sh4dow

@ 10:

It was not dark?! o_O
    Pay attention what happens once the knight dies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzBb2BToZI&t=6m25s
    Plus, there was a torture chamber.
    Sure, it was all about black humor too. But that doesn’t change anything when it comes to the color palette and portrayal of violence in the game.

Yes, it evolved with sequels. To become more cartoony! Just like fucking Diablo!
    That’s why I disliked both Dungeon Keeper 2 and Diablo 2. They were still alright from a gameplay point of view but the presentation was all screwed up.

#11 11 months ago