Titanfall gamescom 2013: live gameplay shows action, massive mechs

Tuesday, 20th August 2013 15:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Respawn showed off live gameplay for Titanfall during EA’s gamescom presser in Cologne. The video, showing gameplay on the futuristic urban arena map of Angel City is below.

Titanfall is coming to PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in early 2014. Ir’s a multiplayer-only, always-on shooter in which a small number of players can take control of huge mechs, battling it out for their faction. One of its major differentiators is that it has an emphasis on agility and rapid movement; players have jetpacks and can ip about the levels, wall-running and leaping. It’s the first game from Respsawn since it signed with EA, having been founded by the former leaders of Infinity Ward after their split with Activision.

1. Lord Gremlin

Hm, very unusual for EA to skip Sony platforms. Makes you wonder just how much MS paid them.

#1 1 year ago
  2. dsr

Well, I thought MS said they’ve spent 1 billion on “games”. So, I guess, a lot.

#2 1 year ago
  3. MCTJim

This game is going to be phenomenal.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kreion

Oh no, the bigger company is using money to their advantage D:
    Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

Like the wall jumping stuff, could add quite a bit to the gameplay – though probably add in a me getting shot in the back more than usual kind of way – is the vid quality horrible for everyone else?

#5 1 year ago
  6. naffgeek

@5 Vid was horrible for me too, made it look like it ran at 15fps.

Pretty sure it runs at 60fps (on PC at least ;)) kidding!!!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Djoenz

It looks hella dope. The mech picks up soldiers like ragdolls. Impressive stuff. The MP would even be more sweet.

#7 1 year ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

I really liked the look of this, at today’s presentation. It looks like its gameplay has a superb flow to the action, and it all looks seamless. Even between mechs and soldiers, there’s no separation, as you can attack another pilot, if they are badly positioned!
    I also liked the warning from the control room when the Titanfall is about to happen, and then this massive great mech gets airdropped in!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ireland Michael

Other than the wall jumping, this just looks like the same old tedious stuff as every other FPS out there. I wouldn’t mind if the art direction was a little more inspired, but its not. It’s dull.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OlderGamer

I find it interesting and telling:

CoD Gods split away from COD Franchise and bring a better fresher FPS game.

Halo Gods split away from Halo and create a better fresher FPS(Destiny).

Now tell me that Franchising doesn’t hold games back?

The sad part is both Titan and Destiny will both become new franchises and both will likely find themselves in ruts and possibly saddled with yearly/bi yearly releases. If the Suits could leave the industry well enough alone and let the talent do their thing…would be a beautiful thing. But without the suits, I guess, their wouldn’t be an industry. So…
    …round and round we go.

Titan does look good. I still think it looks like CoD with Mech Kill Streaks and Jet Packs. But that isn’t a bad thing.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Ireland Michael

@11 Let’s not forget, there was a time when Halo and Call of Duty were fresh, new approached.

The problem is they never changed,

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

I think it what it is Mike. I bet it is fun tho. I think Destiny will hold my interest longer. And that being said FPS games aren’t my thing anymore. But I will buy a copy of Titan if my PC can handle it.

And yeah, that was what I was saying. I think once a formula gets it right, the suits are very reluctant to change it and take chances. As a result that talent isn’t always used to bring you fresh and exciting experiences and twists. They just get chained to their workstations and crank out the same old shit. Sort of a sad snap shot of the way the games industry works. Also the trouble with Big Budget AAA stuff too.

#13 1 year ago
  14. OmegaSlayer

No mention of the XBOX1 exclusiveness during the conference. Hmm…LOL

#14 1 year ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@13 Destiny has the exact same problem. It’s just Halo with a new set of armour. The only thing I could think of when watching the Destiny trailers was “Wow… this moves just like Halo.”

Why would I want to play the exact same mechanics all over again? If I wanted to do that, I’d just play Halo.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SplatteredHouse

@10 Don’t you agree that the wall-jumping opens up additional tactical plays. That seems worthwhile to me. In the past, we only really had to watch doors and windows, but now enemy attacks can come from all over, and attackers have more means to reach “secured” objectives.

Do you suppose that a theoeretical Titanfall 2 would bring in destructive environments?

@14 Titanfall is also on PC. As for Sony platforms, the devs at Respawn have been quite vocal about wanting to get the game on there. They’re a small studio, though, so they’re focusing on the announced platforms, for now. I’m not inclined to consider that explanation PR tripe, just on the basis that, prior to the game’s announcement, they had “gone dark” for a long time. But, as long as they show a quality focus, then, I think everyone stands to win in the end that’s looking forward to the game.

#16 1 year ago
  17. OlderGamer

I like the leveling up, the skills trees, the new weapons, the drop in drop out OMP worlds…to me Destiny has the most going for it. It looks like it will be a deep experience. A bit of Halo fused with Boarderlands splashed with a bit of MMO. I am looking forward to it myself.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@16 Like I said, that’s the only thing that even remotely stands out. A game needs more than “you can run on walls a bit” to be worth buying in my eyes. Nothing about this game even remotely excites me.

#18 1 year ago
  19. roadkill

So fucking awesome!! Great job Respawn! :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. SplatteredHouse

I’m of the opinion that there’s a difference between “you can run on walls a bit” and where the map is built to allow you to take advantage of this additional level of traversion. Of course, we only got a small snapshot today, but I reckon it was a good one. We’ll see how it goes on.

#20 1 year ago
  21. MegaGeek1

I’m no Xbox fan, but this game looks amazing. Dare I mention the words ‘Killer App’?

I really hope it makes its way to the PS4 at some point.

Also, Its pretty obvious this was made with the 360 in mind because theres nothing that screams this couldn’t be done on current gen tech.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

I think, for it to be a Killer App, it would have to be platform exclusive to XBO. But I hear what your are saying Mega, I bet a lot of OMP FPS Junkies will be loving this game come release.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Sublimeone

Way Better Quality from official channel.

#23 1 year ago