PS4 dated for November: over 1 million pre-ordered, 33 titles for launch

Tuesday, 20th August 2013 19:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony’s Andrew House announced a release date for PlayStation 4 during the firm’s gamesom press conference this afternoon.

He confirmed that over 1 million PS4′s have been pre-ordered so far and the console will be released in 32 countries during this holiday season.

Along with the date, Sony also announced 33 launch frame titles to be made available by the end of the year as well as support for Twitch which is as easy as hitting the Share Button on DualShock 4.

A total of 15 Blu-ray titles developed by SCE Worldwide Studios and numerous software developers and publishers from around the globe will be released between the launch of PS4 and December 31.

Combined with digital download titles, this amounts to 33 titles available before the end of the year..

PlayStation 4 Launch Frame Line-up digital/physical

Flower
Doki-Doki Universe
Hohokum
Tiny Brains
Super Motherload
Blacklight

Currently, there are over more 180 PS4 titles in development, such as: Destiny, Diablo 3, Mad Max, Witcher 3, The Divison, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and exclusives such as Shadow of the Beast, The Order:1886, inFamous: Second Son, Rime, Hell Divers, Everybody’s Gone to The Rapture, and Resogun expected to be released for PS4

Since June 2013, the number of developers on board for PS4 has increased from nearly 500 to 620.

Furthermore, Sony will pre-install The PlayRoom in all PS4 systems which comes with a tutorial session so users can learn how to use various features of DualShock 4 like the touch pad and light bar.

Those who also own PlayStation Camera will be able to utilizes augmented reality technology in The PlayRoom such as “AR BOTS” and “PLAY WITH ASOBI” where users can engage with robot type characters displayed on the screen, and “AR HOCKEY,” an air hockey game where users can change the shape of the court by moving and rotating the controller in different directions.

SCE will continuously expand the world of PS4 through further introduction of attractive content and services.

Upon release, PS4 will run you $399/ €399/£349. It’s out November 15 in North America, and on Australia, Europe and Latin America on November 29. A list of the countries which will receive the new console this holiday season is below:

• November 15: Canada, the US
  • November 29: SCEE territories including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom
  • November 29: Latin America – Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama and Peru.

1. Hcw87

2 weeks between.

WHY? With all their love for Europe in their opening speech.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Razor

dafuq.

Europe shafted again.

#2 8 months ago
  3. MCTJim

Well, the date is confirmed for PS4 of Nov 15th here..nice :D

#3 8 months ago
  4. Tech-N9ne

I thought I heard 1 million. 3 is amazing.

#4 8 months ago
  5. fihar

If the Wii U wasn’t f*cked, it is now.

#5 8 months ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

3 million!?

Is that it??

The way people were carrying on, you’d have thought pre-order numbers were much higher than that.

#6 8 months ago
  7. CycloneFox

Two weeks is way better than it was with the PS3.

I’m one of the 3 million.^^

#7 8 months ago
  8. Dragon246

@Dave,
    Its 1 million.

@Ghz,
    How much did you expect? X1 is probably below that number btw.

And yeah, #4 is a troll promoting his own site. Ignore him.

#8 8 months ago
  9. DrDamn

I heard 1 million too. Oh and two weeks is nothing compared to last time, we were months after then.

#9 8 months ago
  10. karak

Ya its for sure 1 million.

#10 8 months ago
  11. MCTJim

1 million without a doubt

#11 8 months ago
  12. EdNorton

Video here including where Sony pokes fun at Microsoft’s ever-changing policies at the 35 second mark – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2mm3XZF9c0

#12 8 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

Distribution to retail is a long and complicated process. Especially in Europe, with all the different countries.

It used to take *months*, sometimes up to a year, to get new hardware in the US and Europe. If you actually consider a two week gap a problem, you’re an entitled whiner.

#13 8 months ago
  14. DuckNation

Hey it releases 15 days before my B-Day!!! can’t wait!!!

#14 8 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

32 locations versus 13 locations: this could be problematic for MS and victorious for Sony.
    Edit: 1 million is more like it.

#15 8 months ago
  16. DreamCleaver

I heard him say 1 million, I’m quite sure.

#16 8 months ago
  17. k1llabeast

Yeah, pretty sure I heard 1 million as well… Still a fuckload!

#17 8 months ago
  18. Joe Musashi

I heard 1 million too. Presumably that’s worldwide. Nice to have a figure mentioned instead of “unprecedented” or “record breaking” waffle.

JM

#18 8 months ago
  19. cre

I know you are excited about all things ps4, vg247. Still, “More than one million” is what he said.

#19 8 months ago
  20. G1GAHURTZ

@Dragon:

A bajillion?

#20 8 months ago
  21. TF_PtMaster

We are talking ps4 preorders???? WTF 1 million Jesus…. This is huge….

Sony can get a really huge advance versus Xbox One.

#21 8 months ago
  22. DuckNation

like some others have said he said OVER 1 million pre-orders worldwide

#22 8 months ago
  23. Dragon246

@Ghz,
    I have to say your expectation were a weeeeee bit high :D
    Close enough though :P

#23 8 months ago
  24. Beta

3 million would be ludicrously good.

But, 1 million is a very good amount :) Curious to see if MS announce their numbers.

And on this subject I imagine the VG247 team are quite busy right now, and somebody will change the number soon.

#24 8 months ago
  25. Erthazus

I heard 1 million and I don’t see a reason to judge consoles on preorders.

for example I never preorder a console or any tech and i’m sure most of the Xbox Ps users won’t do this too. I always excited about new videocard i’m going to buy if it is worth my money but I never preorder it because of some facts.

First of all I need to see the specs, cost, reliability and so on.

#25 8 months ago
  26. actuallyisnotafox

one good thing about the wait is that we dont have to be there for all the day 1 updates and fixes and bugs :)

#26 8 months ago
  27. KineticCalvaria

@26, I agree, a lot of people (usually myself included) like to have more information about a product before pre-ordering it. The release date is especially key to this, I’m sure now it’s out in the open, that those numbers will continue to rise.

Also it was 1 million not 3 :).

#27 8 months ago
  28. Cleaderwoo

I see people are having a difficult time understanding how huge this number is.

In it’s first fiscal year (march 2006-2007), the PS3 sold 3million.
    The 360 sold around 1.5 million worldwide by the end of the year they launched (so around a month-ish).
    Nintendo managed to hit 10 million sales about a year and a half into the lifecycle.

So from those numbers alone, the fact that the PS4 got 1 million PREORDERS is huge. The system hasn’t even launched yet and there’s that many preorders guarantees the PS4 launch will sell some impressive numbers. Well impressive as long as things keep going the way people expect them to. Also keep in mind the huge number of people who only buy their holiday gifts late November which means that’s another guaranteed wave of sales if supply is able to keep up.

So congrats Sony, seems like you’ve got another PS2 success on your hands. Hopefully that’ll amp up competition to step their game up.

#28 8 months ago
  29. pandulce1

Microsoft’s preorder numbers must be quite low for them to pay EA for FIFA 14 strictly as a preorder bonus. Even though I don’t see how that would change anything. Anyone that was thinking about getting an Xbone was going to get it anyway. And anyway on the fence could still get a PS4 + FIFA for less, with no kinect as a bonus.

#29 8 months ago
  30. Tech-N9ne

What does this have to do with Microsoft. This is PS4 post lets talk about PS4.

Silly fanboys.

#30 8 months ago
  31. TF_PtMaster

@30 we can only presume. But if we check some onlyne tores like Amazon we see, PS4 at 4 or 5 place in the charts and see Xbox one at 46/50.

At least who is buying a PS4 know when to take holydays.

#31 8 months ago
  32. pandulce1

@31 Tech-N9ne
    Unless I’m mistaken Microsoft is in the video game console business, competing with Sony and Nintendo. It’s like a game of chess, one company makes a move and waits for a counter move, or in some cases reacts to how the game is progressing. No business decision is made in a vacum or strickly for the benefit of the consumer.

@32 TP_PtMaster
    By no means am I pretending to know actual numbers. It’s just my believe.

#32 8 months ago
  33. polygem

well, i will probably cancel mine…

#33 8 months ago
  34. Francis O

The Launch line-up is ok…. I wish they could have snuck Infamous Second Son in there. 1 million pre-orders is cool, but people were making it seem like it was a lot more than that, unless i’m wrong.

The Wii U is F*cked based on what? Knack and Killzone? lol ok….whatever makes yourself feel better about your purchase.

#34 8 months ago
  35. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Did @5 hit a nerve? :P

#35 8 months ago
  36. viralshag

They said “over 1 million” just in case MS comes along and says “We have 2 million pre-ordered!”

Then Sony comes back and says “when we said ‘over’ we actually meant over 1 million by another FOUR MILLION!”

Then MS take out the Kinect, drop the price and give us six months of Live for free.

#36 8 months ago
  37. bobnice

Knack killzone and driveclub…those are the only launch exclusives??? I dont give a fuck about planetside 2 warframe or war thunder. I already have those for PC. This launch lineup of exclusive for the PS4 is looking abysmal, I might waith until 2014 when they release infamous.

#37 8 months ago
  38. sebastien rivas

One of the reasons why numbers are good but not that high is because Sony PR/marketed through websites, rumors, facts, articles etc… but not yet for mom and dad non gamers or even less devers but may hit whose watching Nickelodeon and so on. A good marketing end of September and early October and sells will go higher.
    Moms and dads look forward Christmas not for Ps4 or Xbox per se.
    Now it is my assumption that the neat price difference between sony and Xbox will make a difference in sells if it is played right. MS is right to offer Fifa in Europe which will hook many across Europe but Soccer in the US while popularity growing is not the favorite pass time and most never heard of Messi, Ronaldo, etc… so it would be in MS advantage to shift decision of Fifa for something else in the US market.
    Let’s see and wait.

#38 8 months ago
  39. pcbros

You guys know it’s just pre-orders right? These aren’t sales figures. Just to give you an idea, I had a pre-order for PS4 and Xbox One as place holders. I was going to buy the better of the two and cancel the other.

People are too eager to jump the gun… wait for sales figures.

I personally do not like Sony grasping at indie games as their lifeline. I’m not spending $400 to play games I can play on Steam. It’s like Microsoft depending on their Xbox Live Arcade games to sell systems. I think the average consumer wants more from their next generation console.

Think of your favorite PS3 games, the ones that made you have to own a PS3… how many were indie or arcade games?

I’m not sold yet…

#39 8 months ago
  40. Dragon246

@Viral,
    I am sure X1 is comfortably below 1 million.
    Why? Because Sony wouldn’t have released the numbers then. I am pretty confident both know about each others preorder data.

And besides, 1 million is a very big number for console preorders. That is the 1/3rd of ENTIRE HOLIDAY SALES of Wii U in just preorders.

#40 8 months ago
  41. Rockin a Jack D

1 million pre-orders? Even if consumers keep their pre-order the console is still 3+ million units behind the Wii U…

#41 8 months ago
  42. viralshag

@Dragon, I think people will be surprised about the XB1 to be honest, I think it’s going to be a lot closer than some of us might think. I do think the PS4 will top the XB1 be it over or under the 1 million mark. My feeling is the XB1 will get the traditional strong following in the US with the PS4 making ground in the EU.

I don’t predict the reduction of territories in the EU for the XB1 will make much of an impact, maybe a few tens of thousands because I imagine MS done that to pump more consoles into the bigger EU territories where the uptake will be a lot higher anyway, especially with the FIFA bundle.

Obviously I might be totally wrong, which is fine, I don’t get paid to make these predictions and I have nothing but pride and self-worth riding on it… which is meagre at the best of times. So if I am wrong, I’ll just go and cry tears of self-doubt into a pillow of pitiful sadness.

#42 8 months ago