Notch on 0x10c cancellation: “Failure is okay.”

Tuesday, 20th August 2013 13:09 GMT By Dave Owen

There was always going to be a lot of pressure on the follow up to Minecraft. That game, 0x10c, has now been cancelled, and Markus ‘Notch’ Persson has written a new blog post about the decision.

“It was quite ambitious,” he says, “but I was fairly sure I could pull [0x10c] off. And besides, if I failed, so what? A lot of prototypes fail before they get anywhere at all.”

Yet it was harder for him to do so as there was so much attention on the follow up to mega-hit Minecraft. “People got incredibly excited, and the pressure of suddenly having people care if the game got made or not started zapping the fun out of the project,” he said.

Rather than outright cancel the project, he simply stopped working on it. The official announcement only came yesterday. Yet it looks as though 0x10c will live on, as fans have decided to try and make the game a reality.

As for Notch, he wants to get back to what he loves: making games. “I just want to experiment and develop and think and tinker and tweak. I want to do smaller games that can fail. So that’s what I’m going to do.”

Thanks, Develop.

1. monkeygourmet

Failure is okay when you have infinite monies…

#1 12 months ago
  2. Sethos

Mr. One-Hit Wonder

#2 12 months ago
  3. Citrus raptor

What does he mean with ‘failed’?

#3 12 months ago
  4. yeoung

I’ve honestly never played Minecraft, but I do like his approach to Game Design. That said, pressure comes with the game and trying to create a game capable of living up to that pressure seems like a rookie mistake.

A craftsman ignores expectation, in some cases flatout defies it in order to persue total artistic integrity. Given his current financial status, as well as his free agent role, it seems his personal growth as an artist has ben left behind in favour of a man-of-the-people mantra.

Create games, all else can fall to the wayside for now.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Edo

@1 Touche.

#5 12 months ago
  6. MrWaffles

Being set for life on the cash department made the decision easier I bet.

There’s no indies out there cancelling much-expected games because they feel “pressure” and are “not having fun anymore”…

Now that’s why, my friends, rich people stick to their success and start putting money (and paradoxically, pressure) on other people’s projects, it’s just easier.

-Waffles

#6 12 months ago
  7. Cobra951

@1, 5: Yes indeed.

If he’s going to be so affected by the expectations of others, then he should keep his next project completely under wraps, and only reveal it when it’s nearly complete.

#7 12 months ago
  8. TheWulf

That’s exactly what he’s learned from this, I suspect. Indies don’t usually get quite as huge as Notch has, Minecraft has been ridiculously successful amongst pretty much every demographic imaginable. And it continues to be.

People are expecting PR speak from him because he’s become so successful, but he’s still indie, and he’s still being honest with people rather than getting a PR department to handle everything he has to say.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks he revealed it too early, too, and that that’s a mistake he won’t be making next time.

People forget, this is a guy who makes games, not someone who has decades of experience in business. There’s a subtle difference between the two. And if you want an example of that — look at the whole Scrolls name debacle, where he was genuinely surprised that Bethesda came after him for just using the word ‘Scrolls.’ (And not any others from the titles of their games.)

He shows a degree of innocence and naivety quite often. I remember how long he had comments open on his blog, hoping the situation would get better before he finally had to shut it off. With all the people who were attacking him every single day? He’d probably have been better getting rid of comments on his blog much earlier.

He’s definitely new to business, kind of naive, and still learning. Like I said, he’s not a business guru, he’s a guy who makes games.

#8 12 months ago