EA asks FIFA fans if women’s leagues should be included in the future

Tuesday, 20th August 2013 12:43 GMT By Dave Owen

We now know that FIFA 14 will feature a roster of classic players (on Xbox One, anyway), but women are still completely absent from the game. EA is now asking FIFA fans if they’d like to see women’s leagues featured in upcoming instalments.

Polygon has spoken to Matt Bilby of EA Sports, who said that EA gauged fan reaction on the issue five years ago. Apparently users responded with the assertion that they only wanted to play as highly successful well-known teams such as Barcelona.

Since then, Bilby believes opinions are changing towards women’s sports. “There’s interest in women’s U.S. national teams. There’s last year’s big Canada versus U.S. match during the Olympics, there’s the Women’s World Cup taking place in Canada.”

With women’s football getting more attention, he says that their inclusion in FIFA is “a lot likelier” and that “fans just need to be vocal.”

Other major games, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 have gained headlines for their inclusion of female characters. It seems only a matter of time before FIFA follows suit.

1. Talkar

Womens football? Not for me thanks. I can tolerate normal football, but womens i really can’t..

EDIT:
    Just want to clarify, i have nothing against women playing football, but whenever i’ve seen womens football they’ve been so much worse than their men counterpart. Simple as that.

#1 1 year ago
  2. xBASSxMONSTAx

Hell yes, just make sure the women players have jiggly boobs like a DOA game when they run. :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. Joe Musashi

@1 Your clarification doesn’t ring entirely true.

JM

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

And extended shower scenes at full time.

Maybe there could be a shopping mini-game before the match to boost team morale?

And they could remove the ‘skills’ button which would make it more realistic.

#4 1 year ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

Good idea, although I honestly think the effort and extra development time to put these teams in is pretty much wasted on what will essentially be a very small percentage of the player base for womens football.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ekona

It could work, but it would basically end up like you just playing as one of the crappy lower league teams where all the players move much more slowly. That’s not a dig, it’s just that women’s football is a much slower paced sport so the game would need to reflect that.

Given that, how many people would actually play with the women’s teams (fnar) to make it financially worth EA’s effort? Not enough, I think.

#6 1 year ago
  7. tezzer1985

You sound like a real prick, your comments have no depth, judging by them it’s clear you haven’t watched women’s football, cause it’s played just like it’s male counterpart.

#7 1 year ago
  8. yeoung

I wonder what the audience for women’s football is. Men? Women? Women footballers?

It’s actually a bit more brutal than male football with all its schwalbes and theatrics, but god almighty if it doesn’t look like children’s football at the same time.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

You know women are people, right? Feel I should check.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Talkar

Sure it does, i said, that it was based on what i’ve seen. Surely i haven’t seen everything :P

Sure, whatever floats your goat.

#10 1 year ago
  11. kdot

@4 Misogyny is cool, bro. Keep being an awesome sexist piece of human garbage, bro.

#11 1 year ago
  12. silkvg247

Wait, BF4 has females? Since when?

Don’t see harm in womens footy, not a footy fan myself.

lol @ The usual shitty comments on the thread though. I really hope they come from kids, I’d worry about their mental health if they’ve reached adulthood with such bizarre notions.

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Ouch! If I was a woman with feeble feminine emotions, that comment may have hurt!

Lucky for my manly thick skin.

#13 1 year ago
  14. JavelinX

Yes, but only if they have huge boobs like in Dead or Alive.

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

While I see no reason for it not to be included, I am curious to see if there really is an actual audience to warrant the effort in the first place.

I’m sure there are women that play FIFA but would they really be any different to guys in wanting to play games with lower tier teams? I mean me and my mates do as a laugh before we go where we pick random teams, good or shit.

Edit: Thinking about it, I think it would be good to have women’s leagues for those that want to play as a player in career mode and they should be allowed to create female players in Be a Pro/pro-clubs.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Djoenz

Celebration poses after each goal could be troublesome tbh. To jiggle or not to jiggle? ?
    I hardly follow soccer only world cop let alone womens league.

#16 1 year ago
  17. GwynbleiddiuM

Some disturbing comments there. It’s a feature that a lot of females are asking for. It might not be as great as men’s football especially for males, but for women it’s a motivational thing and recognition for their efforts in expanding their division year by year. So, it wont hurt you in any way, if you don’t like it, just ignore it and move on. Play as Leo Messi and feel good about yourself as a dominant demographic of football, just keep in mind that others live on this planet beside you and it would help a lot in motivating young females to take more interest into sports.

#17 1 year ago
  18. salarta

Tch, well, OBVIOUSLY their uniforms would be bikinis with pompoms and high heels, the field would be all sand and/or Jell-O, and they’d pound down beers instead of Gatorade. I mean, we’re trying to make women realistic right? The only thing more realistic than drunk women running through fields of Jell-O in high heels is needing men to give them the training and trauma to do it!

Seriously though, a lot of what’s being said here is stupid, as per usual. I don’t care about FIFA but I don’t see why women’s leagues can’t be included, and I’m glad developers are actually considering it. Hopefully it helps lead the way to having actual strong female protagonists in video games again instead of the Hollywood BS that people are eating up.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Virginityrocks

@13, as a commonly misunderstood troll who masquerades as a misogynist at my leisure, I detect a hint of douchebag in your posts. Stop now, or prepare to never be laid again. The internet isn’t so anonymous anymore.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Talkar

Absolutely, anyone can play whatever they want. But we were asked if we wanted to see it, and while i only have a faint interest in mens football, i have none in womens. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be there, i’m just saying i wouldn’t care for it ;)

#20 1 year ago
  21. Uncontested

YAWN… No one wants them wasting time on women teams in FIFA. LOL @ all the white knights on here… You’re not going to get laid by defending the honor of ze womenz here broskie, chill out with the white knight syndrome.

#21 1 year ago
  22. GwynbleiddiuM

@21 You’re by far the most sexist garbage this community have ever seen. I guess congratulations are in order since in that you are truly uncontested.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Djoenz

That may be so but what MonkeyGourmet posted is hardly funny. He always annoy the shit out of me. Im pretty sure he wasnt serious, but still there is no need to post bullshit about women.

Especially since there are some female members on VG247. Ppl that grew up with only female siblings will have nothing but respect for women like I do. Posting bullshit on the internet wether its for real or not is just childish.

I have no respect for MG anymore. Hmm perhaps his account was hacked though? You never know.

#23 1 year ago
  24. SolidGamerSnake

Back to the article:

“fans just need to be vocal.”

We’ve been asking for years now for them to get the damn Championsleague license. Nothing happened sofar, so I doubt that we will get any new modes let alone female players <– not that I would want them…

Back to comments:

I couldn't disagree more, womens football is painful to watch and thats not due to their aggressive play style

#24 1 year ago
  25. TheWulf

Wow. I love how the comments here open with glass-ceiling misogyny. As has been pointed out, #1 is completely off the mark and his bias colours his view. And it’s genuinely sad to see that the attitude is rife throughout the rest of the comments, too.

Yeah, women shouldn’t be allowed to do X because they historically handle it differently to men, therefore women are bad at X. What bollocks.

Anyway, I’m all for this, providing they can handle it respectfully. But if they add subtle jiggle physics to the breasts, they need to add it to the crotch area for the men as well. It’s not just women that should be left feeling awkward whilst playing games, y’know?

#25 1 year ago