Shadowrun Returns Berlin DLC delayed for expansion

Monday, 19th August 2013 08:12 GMT By Dave Owen

Shadowrun Returns developer Harebrained Schemes has announced that the Berlin downloadable content for the tactical RPG has been delayed in order to make it larger and more open-ended. It was expected in October, but has now been pushed back to January 2014.

After a discussion on the official forum, the developer decided to expand the DLC from a “modest-sized campaign” and include the following features:

- A more flexible main story arc – choose which runs to complete first, and which factions to complete objectives for
- More depth to the NPC runner characters
- New weapons, outfits, portraits, music, and enemies – including more magical creatures
- Improved Physical Adept gameplay – along with additions for some of the other existing archetypes
- A European city with a very different look, “vibe”, and cast of characters
- A story that highlights the compelling themes of the Shadowrun: Germany sourcebook

Harebrained also promised: “In addition, for the GMs out there, all of the environments and characters that we add in Berlin will also be available in the Shadowrun Returns Editor for anyone who has the Berlin campaign installed.”

Thanks, Strategy Informer.

1. BigEdMan

Sounds more like this should be a free patch to fix the game.
    Then you can add more DLC later…
    I for one will pass on this game till it’s say $3.75 on a Steam sale.

#1 11 months ago
  2. TheWulf

What to say about this?

Okay, first of all, I think it’s fair to say that #1 is being a butt, just your usual overly entitled gamer. New content as DLC isn’t exactly new, is it? The only people who’re getting this for free are those who believed in HBS enough to back them on Kickstarter.

Ultimately, #1 is yet another nobody overstating their sense of self-importance and expecting something for nothing. Patches? Yes. Free content? No. Free content is a choice the developers make, you can’t demand that of them. If you wanted free content you should have backed them on Kickstarter rather than complaining about it now.

Patching the game though has been a thorny issue. The problem is is that they haven’t yet nailed down their iteration process. I warned them about this on their Steam forum. They’re landing huge patches without testing them enough, and adding new features/balance changes. It hasn’t been working out well for them, ultimately.

However, despite that, I will say that Shadowrun Returns is by far and wide, hands down, one of the best RPGs I have played in the longest time.

Everything of late has been about saving the world. It seems like RPG and ‘save the world’ have become synonymous. I thought a roleplaying game was about playing a character who got to choose what they wanted to do, rather than just being forced into the same trite plot over and over again. Save the world, save the world, save the world!

Saving the world has become so utterly passé that it’s impossible to make it interesting any more. So why not have RPGs which are about things other than saving the world?

Shadowrun Returns isn’t about saving the world.

And in being what it is, it’s a revelation; a true breath of fresh air; it’s something that stands uniquely aside from everything else. You’re not saving the world! Can you imagine? Holy shit! This is the biggest thing ever! They could add it as a bulletpoint in their marketing as a feature:

* AN RPG WHERE YOUR GOAL ISN’T TO SAVE THE WORLD!

Then they could do it again:

* DID YOU READ THE ABOVE? YOUR CHARACTER DOESN’T HAVE TO DO THE WORLD-SAVING THING!

And it would be completely valid to mention this twice, considering current RPG trends.

So what is it instead? It’s about a dead friend, and investigating the circumstances behind that. And it’s about doing such in a genuinely fantastic setting. I enjoyed every last moment of it. It helped that the characters were beautifully three-dimensional and well written, too.

Good characters, interesting choices, and not saving the damned world.

I kind of want to put Shadowrun Returns up on a pedestal as something that other RPG developers should aspire to.

And its plaque would read: This! This! Look at this! I don’t want to save the world with a party of unbelievably po-faced and one-dimensional characters with no personality, character, or motivation. I want the exact opposite of that! I want this! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

:I

Suffice it to say, and to sum up? I’m looking forward to buying more content which isn’t about saving the world. Berlin I get for free, but if they choose to release further campaigns which aren’t about saving the world, and are as sublimely written, then I will buy them. I will buy all of them.

#2 11 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Meh. I still want to write things, if that’s okay. If anyone doesn’t want to read it, they won’t. Just move along if you don’t.

Anyway, saving the world… why do I have such a lethal dose of save-the-world fatigue? It’s not that different than saving the princess, is it? It’s the assumption that the world is filled with useless troglodytes barring a handful of folks who’re actually useful, and they are then destined to flawlessly enact their mission of saving the world.

It feels a little too much like being a god, and that bothers me. Where you’re looking down on the little people and–with your grand benevolence–choosing to save them from their own sins. Could they save themselves? Could they perhaps work together to achieve this? Who knows? You’re going to save the world for them anyway, and they’d better be thankful! They’d better have harems and gold waiting for you! You are The One, after all.

And that makes my skin crawl.

Can’t I just work with other people to make the world a better place? Do I need to save it? Bit by bit I could work with pre-existing organisations of people dedicated to improving the world, and I could do that. The world my character would leave behind when she dies would be greater than the one she was born into, and she’d have played some small part in that.

Making the world a better place, even a bit, is something that settles better with me and something I find more believable. I’d rather work with an organisation founded to counter other forces which prey on people, like a fantasy police force, than I would just being The One who rolls into town and saves them, leaving them destitute for the effort.

I’d much rather enroll with such organisations and take missions from them, being one of many who did things to improve the world. Then at the end of that character’s life the ending could be recanting all the character did, an autobiography, good or bad, and how it actually changed things. Even in little ways.

The ambition and grandiose scale of things actually ruin them. The lovely thing with looking at things on a smaller scale though is you could have a grander deal of variety, you could permit the player to achieve many novel little things rather than one big thing. I’m reminded of how my favourite part of Oblivion was a mod (Twin Spires, I think?) where I was gathering information for an academy. I dug that.

The thing is is that I love fantastic settings. And truly vibrant magitech ones are the sort that tickle parts of my brain in ways I particularly like — but at the same time, I don’t want to save them, I don’t want to be The One, because I feel it cheapens the world I’m in. I want to be that person who helped out with some stuff.

Maybe, maybe, at the higher end of things I want to be someone who solved some mystery and figured out an ancient language or somesuch. But I don’t want to be that person who defeated a demon and saved the world from demonic corruption. I don’t want that. I don’t understand people who do.

This is why Shadowrun Returns appealed to me on such a deeply profound level. I wasn’t The One, I was just Some Guy. I wasn’t out to Save the World, I was out to investigate the murder of a good friend. And that was more personal, more engaging, enthralling, and truly meaningful. Look at, for example, Heavy Rain. A story about a few people and a murderer, on a very small scale. Is that less or more meaningful than Dragon Age: Origins?

And it’d be nice to have other characters within a story who achieve things other than just myself and my entourage. For example, if I am working with a group to achieve something, then there could be other operatives — and when I return from a mission, I could be briefed by my superiors to learn what they had done, which might sometimes be less important, or even more important than what I had done (within the context of the story).

This is what I want, I want more like Shadowrun Returns and Heavy Rain, but set in fantastic worlds. Am I alone in this? Am I really? I wonder, sometimes.

#3 11 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

@2:

How can you write that with a straight face? Oh, right, you’re somebody, aren’t you? You’re TheWulf. The famous Keyboard Warrior. Defender of people with different opinions!

The guy who writes replies longer than actual articles on this website. The guy those comments nobody reads because they are just too fucking long.

You’re the guy who’s overstating his sense of self-importance here. How far removed from reality are you?

“I warned them about this on their Steam forum.”

Oh, you warned them about this? Did they not listen to you?! Don’t they know who you are?!

To the topic:

The writing is great, the story noir-ish and a breath of fresh air, the gameplay slick and the atmosphere and art simply beautiful.

The games original campaign is a fucking joke though.

It’s over in under 15 hours. 15 Hours! FOR A ROLEPLAYING GAME! That’s a freaking joke!

80% of what you do is fighting. There is barely any chance for you to use Charisma or other passive skills. There are little to no actual dialog choices. It’s equal if not inferior to games like Mass Effect.

The biggest problem though is it’s linearity. It’s as linear as some of the recent First Person Shooters, but with an inferior checkpoint system. This kind of checkpoint system should not be RPG game, period.

As much as I love the story and the atmosphere, the games shortcomings are glaring.

Now we have to wait for a proper campaign from either the fans or the developer.

Here’s hope that Shadowrun Online delivers on its promise.

#4 11 months ago
  5. viralshag

@4, From start to finish of that comment I agreed with all of it.

I personally won’t be paying for DLC. I don’t feel like I got a full game as it was and I’m not really prepared to pay for more. In a sale though, sure, as I liked it enough to send some cash their way.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

@TheWulf
    I’m sorry but how can you continuously write that big wall of text and see @4.

#6 11 months ago
  7. absolutezero

Shadowrun was never a Baldur’s Gate, Torment style RPG.

The length and style is entirely in-keeping with the original 16-Bit console versions. Theres a tonne of free quality missions already.

I don’t get being upset about the price, length thing. Its weird.

#7 11 months ago
  8. viralshag

@7, I never played the original so that means little to someone like me. I just didn’t think it was all that.

World was cool, classes sounded cool, great writing for the most part but I thought the combat was kinda wank and the way some classes played too. I just didn’t come away that impressed.

#8 11 months ago
  9. absolutezero

Imagine if it was 80 hours long and how much you would grow to hate it :p

#9 11 months ago
  10. viralshag

I’m not so bothered about the length but like YZ said, I felt like it was lacking in some areas and conversation/convo skills being one of them. I thought they could have done a lot more with that and some of the skills. Playing a decker could have been a lot better too.

I’ll hold out and play some of the new missions, I just haven’t had the time recently with other games/social things.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Armitage Shanks

@4 I always read his comments just for the cringe factor alone, and this thread was particularly good in that regard “Ultimately, #1 is yet another nobody overstating their sense of self-importance” My my my…

#11 11 months ago
  12. GwynbleiddiuM

I usually read his stuff, but most of the time they’re self-entitled with emphasis on weird is cool. We get it, Wulf you like to be the different kid in the room. You like to love things that other people don’t you love to hate things they like. Like this anti-vertical progression obsession you got for MMOs, and how you don’t like to save the world because saving the world is not something that you like to do. It’s fine to have an opinion, but when you go on about them — let’s just say it’s unbearable.

You often label people who doesn’t agree with you because their opinion varies from yours. This has to stop, you have to realize because you like what most don’t and hate what most people like is not a good reason for you to look down on others.

Your long posts is something I don’t have any objections about, after all I was a true Obsidian hater and some of your long posts helped me to go back to a few games they developed and ended up liking them a lot. To name a few FNV, KOTOR2 and Mask of the Betrayer. I truly enjoyed those games and your long posts helped a lot.

Try to exclude the passing judgement bits, honestly it’s rather embarrassing for you. #1 doesn’t like the game, so what?

On topic now, I really enjoyed Shadowrun Returns it was a good experience for me and it’s likely for me to get the expansion, but I have issues with the game myself. A lot of you mentioned the linearity of the story and how it lacks real choice and how your character’s stats doesn’t play an impactful role in the dialogue options. That and how you have zero interactions with the world around you. They need to address these things to make me interested again.

#12 11 months ago