Payday 2 tops UK chart, pushes Minecraft into second

Monday, 19th August 2013 09:49 GMT By Dave Owen

New release Payday 2 has successfully stolen top spot in the UK all-format charts. Overkill’s cooperative heist-based shooter knocked Minecraft’s Xbox 360 edition into second place, the end of a three week stint at the top.

The top spot was earned from retail sales alone, despite a simultaneous launch as a download. The success follows the news that Payday 2 became profitable before it was even fully released. These sales were no doubt fueled by a price-tag well below that of most new releases.

Recent reveals for new Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto entries saw those franchises surging back up the charts. Here’s the full breakdown:

1. Payday 2 (505 Games)
2. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
4. FIFA 13 (EA)
5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
6. The Last of Us (Sony)
7. The Smurfs 2 (Ubisoft)
8. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner)
9. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
10. Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar)

If you’re still on the fence, check out what team VG247 thought of Payday 2 here.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. viralshag

Good stuff! Well done Payday 2!

#1 8 months ago
  2. OwnedWhenStoned

Is it co-op only or single player too?

#2 8 months ago
  3. Dave Owen

#2 – You can play it single player with AI companions, but without a few friends on your team it’s nowhere near as good.

#3 8 months ago
  4. viralshag

@2, I find the AI quite useless.

When I fancy having a go on my own, I just try and stealth missions and don’t even bring the AI along.

#4 8 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

Great stuff for Payday and well deserved as it’s a fresh-feeling franchise that’s surely meant for bigger and better things. However….

@2 You can play single-player but the AI is *awful*; nearly game-breaking. This was kinda okay on the original as I never had problems getting a game online, but this new one? Yeesh. I’m playing on PS3 and getting a game is like pulling teeth. Since receiving my copy on Friday I’ve managed to get one long play session, lucking out on joining a lobbly and not leaving it until 2-3 hours later. Since then I’ve loaded the game up a few times but have spent – in one case – an hour and a quarter trying to get a game, and getting nada in the process. Seriously, this needs patching *so* badly and sooner rather than later. It’s a good thing that was going for as little as £22.99 in some places, because expecting £40 for an unplayable title would have been full-on daylight robbery; as things stand now, it’s a just a petulant mid-morning mugging.

#5 8 months ago
  6. OwnedWhenStoned

Thanks all for the replies. I’ll hold off I think.

#6 8 months ago