New release Payday 2 has successfully stolen top spot in the UK all-format charts. Overkill’s cooperative heist-based shooter knocked Minecraft’s Xbox 360 edition into second place, the end of a three week stint at the top.
The top spot was earned from retail sales alone, despite a simultaneous launch as a download. The success follows the news that Payday 2 became profitable before it was even fully released. These sales were no doubt fueled by a price-tag well below that of most new releases.
Recent reveals for new Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto entries saw those franchises surging back up the charts. Here’s the full breakdown:
1. Payday 2 (505 Games)
2. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
4. FIFA 13 (EA)
5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
6. The Last of Us (Sony)
7. The Smurfs 2 (Ubisoft)
8. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner)
9. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
10. Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar)
If you’re still on the fence, check out what team VG247 thought of Payday 2 here.