Is The Wonderful 101 a pretty waste on Wii U?

Monday, 19th August 2013 07:38 GMT By Dave Cook

The Wonderful 101 is a a cleverly-produced game exclusive to Wii U. VG247′s Dave Cook plays Platinum’s final code and ponders if it deserves to go beyond Nintendo’s borders.

The Wonderful 101

Developed by Platinum Games, The Wonderful 101 is a Wii U exclusive release.

It hits Europe on August 23 and North America on September 15.

There’s a demo available now if anyone’s curious to try the game pre-launch. Get the details here.

We’ve also got a gameplay trailer from Platinum Games if you’d like to see it in action. Watch it here.

Whenever I’m asked to describe The Wonderful 101 I tell people to imagine a game like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, where the main character is actually made up of about 50 little characters. It’s a bonkers elevator pitch worthy of Platinum Games’ wildly imaginative back-catalogue.

The game is certainly worth playing but I’m concerned that such a refreshing idea is being wasted as an exclusive for Nintendo’s under-selling Wii U, seeing as the company only sold 160,000 consoles in Q1 this year. It’s a woeful statistic.

It’s a shame because the game itself is colourful, funny, smart and challenging, yet it isn’t perfect. I’ve seen a few gamers already hailing The Wonderful 101 the game Nintendo needs on its format, and as a fellow Platinum Games fan I understand where the enthusiasm is coming from. Personally, I just felt it was a mixed bag.

So what is it then? Well, the plot sees an alien force known as the Geathjerk invade Blossom City with an army of big stompy mechs, beret-wearing lizard generals and two-headed, flame-spewing robotic dragons. They tear around the city streets and rip it apart like it was made out of part-baked LEGO. It’s bat-shit crazy from the opening scene.

Needless to say, their wanton destruction of Blossom City simply will not stand, which calls together The Wonderful 101; an elite band of citizens charged with Earth’s protection. Under the guidance of the CENTINALS peacekeeping force, these ordinary men and women band together under the leadership of the game’s protagonist Wonder Red.

The interesting hook here is that Red’s followers can form shapes by using either the right stick or Wii U touch-screen to craft weapons, objects and more. For example, drawing a straight line over a wide gap will see the team link up and form a bridge using their Unite Morph ability, while tracing a circle around panicking survivors causes them to join your ranks.

The mechanic also fuels combat in that certain shapes will cause the team to form weapons, depending on who is leading them at that moment. Draw a circle while Wonder Red is in charge of the pack and they form a huge fist that he can use to smash through Geathjerk troops.

You can watch me play and discuss The Wonderful 101 in the video above.

An ‘L’ shape will form Wonder Green’s gun, a straight line causes an almighty sword to appear over Wonder Blue’s head, while an ‘S’ shape will give Wonder Pink her massive, spiked armour-crushing whip, just to name a few. it’s the equivalent to weapon-switching in Bayonetta, except the more people you use to make the shape, the bigger your weapon will be.

Fighting a 60-foot mech? No worries, just draw an even bigger straight line to give Wonder Blue a 60-foot sword. Sorted. While you’re pummelling the mech with that, why not draw a circle and press the assist button to call in Wonder Red for a quick, simultaneous fist smash? Such combo-chaining isn’t integral to success in The Wonderful 101, but reducing giant enemies to scrap in moments through smart play is incredibly empowering.

Given all of the emphasis placed on superhero movies these days, The Wonderful 101 is timely. Aesthetically it nails the vibe that ran through The Avengers’ finale, as whole city blocks are reduced to rubble by advancing hordes, while a band of brave heroes fight to repel the threat.

It’s often an awe-inspiring spectacle to witness, but the frustration of certain gameplay issues shattered that vibe and simply frustrated me on several occasions. For starters, the lack of camera control in some – not all – instances is a real pain. One example early on sees you trying to reduce a huge mortar turret to rubble while fighting a pair of tanks.

I often found I was being rushed by the tanks from off the screen almost without warning, giving me barely enough time to respond with a dodge move. Plus, whenever I ran behind the turret I found I couldn’t see my team. Once both tanks rolled over and pinned me behind there, I was quickly being battered about, snagged between them both, unable to see what I was doing. The ability to rotate the viewpoint would have been welcome.

This was a one-off, painfully annoying occurrence, but I did find that whenever you’re not in combat the camera zooms in really close, stunting your peripheral vision to an irritating degree. These are mild issues overall, but what really let things down for me was the amount of beginner’s traps during some encounters.

Some enemy attacks are poorly signposted, and it’s often unclear what you need to do in order to counter them. One battle sees you being rushed by a flying enemy while a countdown rapidly ticks away. I lost a lot of time trying to jump up and smack the guy with Wonder Red’s fist only to be killed a few times. As it happens I had to use Wonder Blue’s sword.

Such is the trial and error nature of many of The Wonderful 101′s mechanics. Some attacks seem impossible to avoid until you know exactly what you need to counter them. There’s a crafting system that uses ingredients found on the field. It’s buried under a few menus and never flagged up as an option to players. I found it be accident.

For the record I was playing on normal mode, which is the highest tier available to you at the start. It’s challenging make no mistake, but I often felt it was unfair and grating as a result. One section that sees the view switch to your GamePad beneath a baseball stadium was a horrible and clunky, causing Wonder Green to stutter and move slowly. Navigating him up a simple staircase was more of a chore than it should have been.

The GamePad was also ineffective at recognising the shapes required to trigger certain Unite Forms, although I was honestly starting to suspect something was up with my controller, as I haven’t seen anyone else mention they had issues. I spent a good two minutes trying to draw an acceptable triangle to form a hang glider so I could fly over a canyon. It wasn’t fun, but I suspect I might be alone in this.

All of these complaints considered, I still had fun with The Wonderful 101. I’m far from finished at the time of writing so please don’t treat this as a full review or anything like that, but this is a game with real heart. It’s a superb homage to superhero culture, with a great cast, ace jokes and insane set-pieces that sit comfortably among Platinum’s library of releases.

Games like this need to exist to break the monotony of the worn templates that dog our industry. Familiarity is often enjoyable if you want a gaming experience you can tune into after a hard day’s graft, but The Wonderful 101 is too vibrant to only give it just half of your attention.

It demands your full focus, plenty of practice and it tries new things at a time where companies are just pushing better visuals as ‘innovation’. There are things in this game I’ve never seen before, and that’s rare in today’s console circuit.

Disclosure: To help write this piece, Nintendo sent Dave a Wii U eShop code for The Wonderful 101.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Uh oh!

Here comes the rabble…

#1 11 months ago
  2. sithsylar

I think this will answer the question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-raEW_nYcb0

#2 11 months ago
  3. KAP

Any title that Platinum Games create thats ONLY on a Wii U is automatically a waste..

One other title spring to mind…

#3 11 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

I have the impression this is a good game, nothing more.
    Not even Nintendo is supporting it as it should since it even lacks localization.
    It will be beaten hard by Disney Universe on WiiU.
    And as far as insane fun gameplay I think Saint Row 4 will win the challenge against it.

Platinum is losing its touch.
    There’s no way such a small developer can handle the delivery of 3 projects in a year like MGRising, W101 and Bayonetta2 without compromising the quality.
    No one did anything like this in the current gen, and that’s quite crazy.
    It’s embarassing I noticed some assets of MGRising used in W101 and Bayo2 trailer.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

It’s a very different game to Saints Row. The two don’t warrant comparison.

#5 11 months ago
  6. KAP

what the hell you on about bub?

#6 11 months ago
  7. OmegaSlayer

@Dave
    Yes, it’s different, but the concept of W101 is being fun, like Saints Row.
    From the vids I’ve seen, if I were a multiple console owner and I would have to pick one game in this release window, I would pick SR4 without any doubt.

#7 11 months ago
  8. viralshag

At this point I genuinely feel like any decent looking game exclusive to the WiiU is a waste.

Yeah, it’s great for WiiU owners and I’m sure they’ll enjoy it for us and all that bollocks.

At the end of the day it’s decent looking franchises that lost out, not us.

#8 11 months ago
  9. mistermogul

Are all Nintendo first party games wasted on Wii U also?

This is the nature of “exclusives” – if you don’t own the console, you don’t play the game. Suck it up or buy it, your choice…

@10 & 11 +1

#9 11 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

Another good read Dave. Though the topic of the headline is barely covered in the article. :(

I think that Platinum can continue to make games is a good thing. They’re a developer blighted with commercial mis-steps. Just like how they were in their previous incarnation as Clover.

I think the profile of this game, regardless of the platform would be a tough sell. It’s a new IP, not easy to summarize, hitting the market at a time when some big titles are really starting to get their marketing machines in action (GTA, for example).

Is it a waste being on the Wii U? How can it be? It exists because of the platform so, in my book, that’s a good thing. And that’s my Platinum-fanboy speaking.

Is it a shame that more people won’t play it? Absolutely. But even when Platinum’s releases were on other platforms with larger users bases, the audience hasn’t been as big as we might have liked.

If this game represents another jewel in Nintendo’s crown then there’s nothing to take away from it. Even if a game is multiplatform that doesn’t take away the fact it exists on the platform(s). And if Platinum are strengthening their position by working directly with platform manufacturers (Nintendo and, rumoured, Microsoft) then hopefully that means they can keep delivering refreshing, exciting, uncompromising games for their fans.

JM

#10 11 months ago
  11. Tycalibre

Buy a WiiU then you tight bastards.

Seriously… the sense of entitlement reeks.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Jaymer

First off, thats too douche baggey, exclusives are made for a reason and the game is better known for its gameplay that otherwise fits very well in the Wii U, as well as its plastic action figure viewtiful joe esque style, a higher spec console will do nothing.

Second, you might as well say you want Mario and Zelda in your precious consoles because W101 was licenesed by Nintendo, Platinum was just making the game

“A pretty waste”

I cant believe this “journalism”

#12 11 months ago
  13. Jaymer

@omegaSlayer

Your entire comment is so wrong i dont even know where to start

Nintendo has done ALLOT of Advertisement, especially giving it its own Nintendo direct

It is localized, UK got it first are you blind?

And why is this game even being compared to Saints Row 4? They are completely different games

#13 11 months ago
  14. dizzygear

Oh boy here we go… inb4 100+ comments of arguing.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Jaymer

Well of course, what do you think is gonna happen when instead of talking about how good a game is, complaining about what it couldve been on another console.

#15 11 months ago
  16. DrDamn

The article title is a QUESTION not a STATEMENT. Something to bear in mind.

I think interesting new titles do sometimes deserve a wider audience, but sometimes the only way they will happen is if one of the platform holders funds it – as in this case and others like Journey for example. It’s a reality unfortunately. If you want to play you need to buy a WiiU and that is a big part of why the game exists in the first place.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Joe Musashi

Also: People, including myself, have been critical of the Wii U’s current position and saying that, among other things, more software is required. And not just new installments of Nintendo’s banner IP. Compelling, engaging software that exploits the platform’s USPs.

So, isn’t a title like The Wonderful 101 what a lot of people have been saying the Wii U needs?

JM

#17 11 months ago
  18. Dave Cook

Also, yes I know Nintendo funded and published the game. In a perfect world this would have been multi-plat.

No Wii U game has sold over a million copies. The pretty waste is that this is a good game that will likely suffer financially as a result. That’s the waste.

All you had to do was properly read my article to understand that.

#18 11 months ago
  19. OmegaSlayer

It’s not localized in Italian for example, while the Japanese version of Bayonetta on PS3 was already localized and I know because I bought it import.

About the being a waste on WiiU.
    Everywhere you go, from reviews to neogaf or forums with people who played the demo, everyone will tell you that using the right stick to draw the lines is definitely better than using the touchpad, that means that the “innovative feature of the WiiU” is the worse part of the experience.

Also, that means that the game could have been done on any console.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Dave Cook

@19 yep, right stick works much better than GamePad screen. It could have been multi-plat in that respect.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@Jaymer
    TV Ads? Online Banners? Online Ads? None so far: just because a game iz localized does not equal marketing.

Sure call me when GTA and MGS lands on it. You would be a horrible marketing employee.

@Dave
    As always Dave good article whether it succeeds or not is to be determined.

#21 11 months ago
  22. viralshag

“Buy a WiiU then you tight bastards.”

What a load of bollocks. Why would I buy an unpopular, underpowered, overpriced console with waning and lackluster third party support for ONE “decent” game?

I have nothing against Nintendo having exclusives, that’s the nature of the console industry. The fact of the matter is the WiiU is an under-selling console right now and these are half decent looking games that deserve better. It’s not the first time this has happened, Shenmu was another great game destined to failure due to the console.

I care about the games, not about buying a console which, at this stage, amounts to propping up a dead horse.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Dave Cook

“Why would I buy an unpopular, underpowered, overpriced console with waning and lackluster third party support for ONE “decent” game?”

I like Wii U. But Joe Q. Public won’t go near it at the moment.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

I think this thread should be fine.

#24 11 months ago
  25. polygem

wonderful 101 3ds please.

i hope nintendo will release something like og mentioned, next time. a powerful handheld that can be connected to the tv as well. it would be a perfect fit for them and it would be awesome for the consumer as well.
    there´s too much hardware on the market already. add the rumoured amazon machine and steambox to the mix and it would be good for nintendo to focus on just one machine and then deliver for that what they´re best at. great games.
    i think with that concept tons of people would buy their one nintendo device. and they probably should. i personally can´t imagine a gaming life without nintendo.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

#26 11 months ago
  27. TheAncientWolf

I love how everyone was clamoring for Nintendo to make more games for the Wii U so that it could become a viable purchase. Now I see an article treating a Nintendo game like some sort of third party software, saying it could do better on another console. Software sells hardware. This game is exactly what the Wii U needs and anyone complaining about it either has some beef with Nintendo, or doesn’t know what they are talking about.

#27 11 months ago
  28. viralshag

@27, Yes, it needs new software and that’s a given but one or two new games does not make the WiiU an instant purchase, does it?

It’s been out what, a year now? And we’re still getting software in a fashion that can be likened to Chinese water torture.

Two games does not answer the prayers of what people are asking for. The WiiU needs a decent library of games for most people to consider this a must buy. And I’m not talking about a new Zelda, Mario or Metroid… more games like this and Pikmen and a lower price might get me interested.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Dave Cook

@27 its a niche game. It’s brilliant but I suspect it’s not going to be a major system seller. As always I’m open yo the fact that I might be proven wrong. I hope I am.

#29 11 months ago
  30. G1GAHURTZ

Wii U doesn’t need games.

It needs a killer app.

Just one game would be enough to get it going, IYAM.

#30 11 months ago
  31. Dragon246

Looks like another good Platinum game. Unfortunately, at least in Japan, it doesn’t enjoy any retailer support. After one by one wiiu failures (latest being Yakuza), word is that only 30k first shipment has been ordered, which is horrible by any standards.

#31 11 months ago
  32. TheAncientWolf

@28, I remember a certain hand-held that released over two years ago to disappointing sales and with hardly any library to speak of. It has since picked up quite a stride and finds itself sitting on top of sales charts. Time works wonders for many problems. It just seems that some people lack patience.

#32 11 months ago
  33. Francis O

@Dave

I have to say I’m upset with this piece. Nintendo is funding this game to broaden the appeal of the Wii U. Nobody said it was going to sell a bunch of Wii U’s, but hell, it can’t hurt. Fans of Hideki Kamiya will buy it. I know I have a lot of my userbase excited to purchase the game.

New Super Mario Bros U and NintendoLand are both over 1 million copies unless you mean 3rd party games?

Last time I checked Activision is bring 6 games to the Wii U this fall. Ubisoft is bring Splinter Cell, Assassin’s Creed, and Watch Dogs. EA is the only one out of the three heavyweights you mentioned that aren’t bringing games to the WIi U.

#33 11 months ago
  34. Foos

#22
    There is no such thing as an “underpowered” console.
    And yes, there are plenty of people who buy consoles for one or two games.
    Thats where the term “killer app” or “system seller” comes from.

@ Dave C.
    “The game is certainly worth playing but I’m concerned that such a refreshing idea is being wasted as an exclusive for Nintendo’s under-selling Wii U,”

WTF is this is crap about? You just have insulted buyers of the WiiU console.
    This game is made for the WiiU therefore write an article for those WiiU owners or future WiiU owners looking to buy a game for their console. Period. Or is your review some desperate attempt to get attention to your website? Be honest.

#34 11 months ago
  35. Dragon246

#34,

” Or is your review some desperate attempt to get attention to your website? Be honest.”
    So, what are you doing here?

#35 11 months ago
  36. Hcw87

Any game coming out exclusively on WiiU is a waste, because pretty much nobody owns a WiiU.

Any developer would make so much more money by making it crossplatform across the Next Gen consoles.

#36 11 months ago
  37. TheAncientWolf

@ 16 & 18

#37 11 months ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    HAHA Dave hes got you in sights :P “my user base” LOL your user base trolololololol: whats that? your nintendo loving fan site Player Essence, of course they love your site and the games. Outside of that is what?

But to help out Dave:
    Ok
    Deep Sliver: A no go
    EA: A no go
    Bethseda: A no go
    Take Two: A no go
    Tecmo Koei: not much outside japan
    Square Enix: One game??? compared to other efforts
    Ubisoft: turned away from exclusively with Rayman and canceled Zombi U 2: but still supporting Wii U
    SEGA: three exclusives and what else?
    Warner Bros: Batman and LEGO games: but what about Mad Max and Dying Light?
    Namco Bandai Games: besides a load of shove-ware and SSB not much.
    Compared to their Xbox/PlayStation efforts its small support.

“But there are no full retail 3rd party games on the Wii U that deserve to sell over 1 million copies.”
    There was nothing wrong with NFS U, Injustice or Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate:

EDIT: Though you are right about how DAVE mentioned some topics.

#38 11 months ago
  39. viralshag

@32, And? That’s fantastic for the 3DS and when/if that happens with the WiiU it will be following what most of the non-WiiU owners criticisms have been about. So I fail to see the comparison of the 3DS other than a terribly lacklustre start for a console.

For the 3DS everyone called for more games and a price cut. Those things happened and it started to sell. Just because some Nintendo fans like to close their eyes and believe everything is going to plan is fine, I just think it’s a terrible way to market and sell a console.

I would just ask yourself why you even bothered buying one of these at launch if Nintendo’s new console strategy is sucker the die-hards in with a crap price, give them nothing for a while and then (probably) release a newer and better version (XL) and a load of games for it.

As you pointed out, this is the second time they’re trying it like this…

#39 11 months ago
  40. Dragon246

To add to #39, 3ds never had JUST 10K shipped outside us and japan in 3 months.
    Comparing 3ds and wiiu is really stupid.

#40 11 months ago
  41. TheAncientWolf

Are you seriously suggesting that Nintendo should not be releasing games for their recently launched console. I guess the new Smash is going to be a waste, as well as SMT x FE, or even Monolith’s X. In fact, I don’t even see why Nintendo put out a console at all this gen. They should have just made third party multi-plats just to appease you.

#41 11 months ago
  42. Lengendaryboss

What he meant is that Platinum Games a third party developer should be making multiplatform titles and that the first/second party studios should stick to exclusives.

“I guess the new Smash is going to be a waste, as well as SMT x FE, or even Monolith’s X.” your comparing first/second party efforts to third party efforts, brilliant: apples and oranges.

#42 11 months ago
  43. Francis O

Legendarychump,

Shut up, you thought I was Drone Crusher. You know nothing. If Wii U fans are excited to pick up the game, then what is your problem?

As far as third party support goes. I never said Nintendo has a bunch of third party support. DAVE listed EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. I simply let him know that only EA out of those three are not bringing games to the Wii U.

Then you go on some escapade.

And no, old, late, full priced ports don’t deserve to sell a million units.

Injustice Gods Among Us had a lack of DLC support, and online issues where there was no friend invite system for the Wii U.

#43 11 months ago
  44. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “you thought I was Drone Crusher???” Hm? do you mean PS3fanboy? I have no problem but when you say “Nintendo is funding this game to broaden the appeal of the Wii U” but later limit it to “If Wii U fans are excited to pick up the game”. You can’t say this game will broaden the appeal and use Wii U fans as an example.

Excuses, excuses, excuses:
    You know what i find funny:
    When a third party game comes to Wii U with problems: Nintendo fans say i’m not buying/not interested.
    When a third party developer says they are not supporting Wii U (by an giving excuse): Nintendo fans bring up faults of their games/not interested.
    If its not exclusive they will won’t get it saying i only bought my Wii U for exclusives.
    When a Wii U game comes with no problem they will find a fault like you have already done.
    Oh my personal favourite is a game has cut content Wii U fans demand a price cut, i hardly see any PlayStation/Xbox fans demand this.

“And no, old, late, full priced ports don’t deserve to sell a million units.”
    A lot of flaws in that logic, i could find more but thats the one that came to mind.

#44 11 months ago
  45. TheAncientWolf

@39, First of all, anyone who buys a console at launch IMO is a sucker. All of the big three practice this strategy of re-releasing consoles, not just Nintendo.
    Secondly, Do you honestly think that people asking for more games on the 3DS is the reason why the 3DS now has a decent library? No, as the years passed more and more games were released. The price cut and XL made the system appealing to buyers as well. Like I said patience is a virtue. Right now, it is too early to decide the Wii U’s fate.

Also @40, I have no idea what the future holds for the Wii U and neither do you. Anyone’s best guess can be based on Nintendo’s business model and the handling of any recent hardware releases. The 3DS would seem to be a good candidate for speculation of the Wii U.

#45 11 months ago
  46. Francis O

Legendarychump

I’m not buying late, gimped, old, full priced ports….. No Nintendo fan is. I bet you The Wonderful 101 outsells every game you mentioned that should have sold a million units.

Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 included all the DLC from the Xbox 360 version. And was fully supported with extra DLC on 1 disc. That had exceptional value. No Third party game on Wii U has had that type of value on it.

Not only that, but Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games of all time, that was only available on one system not two when it was released.

None of the games you mentioned even touch the quality of Mass Effect 2.

What’s with you man? Why do you think Wii U owners should buy old ports when they already have those games on their PS3 and Xbox 360s?

Every Wii U owners I know on my site has a PS3 or Xbox 360. Old ports aren’t going to sell. Crappy games aren’t going to sell, gimped games aren’t going to sell. Full priced ports aren’t going to sell.

#46 11 months ago
  47. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Oh so now its changed from no-one should to you are, in addition you speaking on the behalf of each Nintendo fan brilliant, backtrack, backtrack into pit.

Oh the rest its what do you know Excuses, excuses, excuses fits perfectly fine with what i said above.

“Crappy games aren’t going to sell, gimped games aren’t going to sell. Full priced ports aren’t going to sell.” Wrong, i could list examples but that would be too long. I’ll just give you a few COD Declassified, AC Liberation, Aliens: Colonial Marines, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: a buggy, crash infested mess on PS3 near 5 million sold.

#47 11 months ago
  48. Francis O

And I’ll add Legendarychump, there is nothing wrong with loving Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony.

I like Nintendo, oh the F*ck well. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360, and I plan on getting a PS4. Just because Nintendo is my favorite company, and I run a site that actually likes Nintendo, doesn’t make my opinion any less valid.

My opinion is much more valid than yours to be honest. You don’t have a Wii U, you don’t play the games. You just sit back like a little c**t and say what games should sell and all this BS.

I’ve played these ports, and none of them deserve to sell. None…. there old, late, and full priced with less content. Not even Need for Speed came with all the DLC for $60 when you can get the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions for $20?

#48 11 months ago
  49. absolutezero

For games with such awful awful sale figures they sure do get people really fucking wound up tight.

There seems to be more people complaining about Bayo 2 even existing than there were people that actually bought the first one.

No one bought Clover games either, its why Capcom shut them down. Despite those games now being spoken about with reverence and respect no one fucking bought them. Despite inspiring loads and loads of titles since and Platinum going onto produce some of the finest games of this generation of consoles.

Its a fallacy to straight up claim that the game being multi-platform would lead to serious amounts of more sales, look at Anarchy Reigns.

Hell where was this when MadWorld came out? Is it a bad thing that W101 is exclusive and it won’t reach the same amount of people it deserves to? Sure, of course it is. Not enough of a reason to get salty as fuck about it. This is not a new amazing development of modern video games brought about by the WiiU. I remember gazing fondly at the Saturn’s selection of exclusive games, I never once thought that they should be available on my Playstation instead.

#49 11 months ago
  50. Francis O

So you’re commending crappy games that sell? That just shows the PS3 and Xbox 360 fanbase have low standards for their games. And Aliens Colonial Marines didn’t sell that well per a platform.

PC, PS3, Xbox 360….a little over 1 million units? That sucks.

Skyrim came out day and date with the Xbox 360 version right? And despite all the crashing still got good review scores.

#50 11 months ago
  51. Lengendaryboss

“Just because Nintendo is my favorite company, and I run a site that actually likes Nintendo, doesn’t make my opinion any less valid.”

Really this fits well with what i’m doing:

“My opinion is much more valid than yours to be honest.” so a person who admits Nintendo is his favourite company thinks his opinion is more valid than someone who is balanced and doesn’t care for the companies, sigh…

“You don’t have a Wii U, you don’t play the games. You just sit back like a little c**t and say what games should sell and all this BS.” first=true, second=false remember Francis i play Wii U at game and at a friends house. third= false i was comparing the games success on PlayStation/Xbox versus Wii U, never said they should sell better, i said they could, COULD.

“That’s freaking stupid. You’re the troll, you don’t have a Wii U, you’re not planning on getting one, so STFU and stay out of Nintendo articles you a$$hole.” Me called the troll by a troll, not planning to get a Wii U, hmmm Francis look at 21 “Sure call me when GTA and MGS lands on it.” i never said i wasn’t planning to get one talking out of your ass, stay out of Nintendo articles? if i disobey? then what? nothing? empty threats and cheap insults.

Edit: “So you’re commending crappy games that sell?” No i’m responding to your point, when you prove it i’ll sit in my chair rocking back and forth for your response :P :D

“Nintendo fans are smart enough to not buy crappy games from 3rd party studios. Saying they should based off crappy games that PS3 and Xbox 360 owners buy just makes that fanbase look stupid.”

“And you’re an idiot for suggesting that since bad games and old ports sell on PS3 and Xbox 360, so the same should happen for Wii U.”

I’m saying “COULD COULD COULD COULD COULD” Not “SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD”. Even when its a good third party game with no problems they will be excuse around the corner, which is exactly what your doing.

#51 11 months ago
  52. viralshag

@45, Yes, but none of the other consoles launch with such poor line ups as the 3DS/WiiU did. Not only did they lack “killer apps” but anything that resembled a good to really purchase. For the 3DS at launch you would have struggled to pick up TWO good games.

Based on the 3DS and no seemingly the WiiU, the only suckers for day one consoles seems to be Nintendo fans. They’re the ones that buy consoles and get nothing in return for it until a year or so later down the line.

I really don’t think the same can be said for the PS3/PS4 or 360/XB1 giving the games due for release WITHIN the first year.

#52 11 months ago
  53. absolutezero

No other console launch had a worse line up?

Do you remember the 360? Or the PS3, or the Vita, or the on and on and on and on.

We don’t even know what the next gen launch line up is going to be but glancing over the most likely targets nothing is standing out as being full on better or worse than what the WiiU had at launch.

Why did anyone make games for the original Xbox when they could have created multiplatform titles that would have sold better? Why was there never a PS2 Breakout? See how stupid this sounds?

#53 11 months ago
  54. Francis O

You have no counter because you are just a little bitch that doesn’t play the games, but tells Wii U owners to purchase these games, or they should have purchased these games.

Since you don’t have a Wii U, you should just shut up, don’t fuc*ing tell Wii U owners what they should and shouldn’t be buying when you don’t even play them yourself.

#54 11 months ago
  55. Lengendaryboss

HAHAHAHA: Misreading: COULD COULD is what i’m saying.

“don’t fuc*ing tell Wii U owners what they should and shouldn’t be buying when you don’t even play them yourself.” Never even said that:

Bah! End of discussion if you can’t see that.

#55 11 months ago
  56. Joe Musashi

@48 “My opinion is much more valid than yours to be honest. You don’t have a Wii U, you don’t play the games.”

What? No. No. No. No, no, no.

That’s not how opinions work.

JM

#56 11 months ago
  57. DrDamn

@Francis
    “You’re the troll, you don’t have a Wii U, you’re not planning on getting one, so STFU and stay out of Nintendo articles you a$$hole.”

Pot (Francis in FPS articles) meet Kettle (LengendaryBoss in Nintendo artciles). Practice what you preach.

#57 11 months ago
  58. Lengendaryboss

Francis One more thing

Could: 2. (used to express possibility): That could never be true.
    Should: 2. (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency): You should not do that.

#58 11 months ago
  59. monkeygourmet

Im going to use your catchphrase:

“Is this still going on guys?!”

#59 11 months ago
  60. Francis O

DrDamn, I actually have played a lot of the first person shooters I bash.

So have a seat buddy.

Legendaryjackass

“Or what they COULD be buying. They’re gimped and late, there is a reason Wii U owners aren’t buying it you a$$hole.”

Did you miss that line?

#60 11 months ago
  61. Lengendaryboss

LOL: The difference is how many days did it take for that magical discussion to go down. This has just got started.

No, that was a quick edit after i pointed it out, Please see 58.

“And Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as considered a success on Wii U by the way. They even said it was a “Smash hit”” so from looking at million sales for certain third party titles to smash hit.

#61 11 months ago
  62. absolutezero

I would quite like it if the pair of you could just fuck and then piss off somewhere else.

Jesus Christ.

#62 11 months ago
  63. Lengendaryboss

#63 11 months ago
  64. DrDamn

@Francis
    But all FPS suck don’t they? It’s clearly a genre you have no interest in, yet you feel the need to comment. Why is that different?

#64 11 months ago
  65. absolutezero

The mouth says no no no but the replies say yes yes yes.

You tease.

#65 11 months ago
  66. Lengendaryboss

@DrDamn
    The difference is i can come onto any Nintendo or FPS article and speak my peace and thats it, if he ain’t there its usually silent.

#66 11 months ago
  67. Disturbed

@Dave: Can’t wait to see the shitstorm that’ll happen when Bayo 2 comes out and EVERY other site writes something like that because they all have a butthurt fanboy that wish they could play this on their favourite system. This will surely affect the score because the complaints are the usual from someone that doens’t make use of the gamepad for a while (as in never played Wii U before.

#67 11 months ago
  68. Lengendaryboss

Hows this then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

#68 11 months ago
  69. absolutezero

Just watch this. Just watch it then realise that you are bad and should feel bad.

#69 11 months ago
  70. Francis O

@64 – Most do…

I have interest in the FPS shooters that try something different. ZombiU has first person shooting, I played that. COD is ok, but it gets stale.

I have to play a lot of FPS because I run a site, comes with job you know.

Legendaryasshole doesn’t have a Wii U but suggests games that he has never played “COULD” sell better when he has no clue if it “SHOULD” sell better based on hands on time.

He’s just a guessing jackass that doesn’t play anything on Nintendo consoles but feels the need to add his 2-cents on shit Nintendo related.

#70 11 months ago
  71. Lengendaryboss

Maybe i should make this crystal clear, if, if there is a game i want on Wii U i will purchase it no questions asked.

#71 11 months ago
  72. stealth

This is a fucking troll piece. This is year one. All third party exclusives are wasted.

#72 11 months ago
  73. monkeygourmet

Ultimatly the facts are:

Many Wii U games are / have scored very well.

Pikmin 3
    Monster Hunter
    Wonderful 101
    Zombie U
    NSMBU
    Lego City

And many more will follow.

We really need to split people into 2 groups with this one, the line is becoming increasingly ‘muddied’.

Has the Wii U got good games? Yes

Is the Wii U selling? No

Thats the facts right there. Trying to insinuate otherwise is bullshit.

The problem is, many people keep going on about a ‘killer app’. What do they care? Wii U has plenty of great games, does it selling more help validate your opinion on a console you had 0.1% chance of buying anyway?

Sales figures in this context are generally used by people with a pre-determined agenda.

i.e.

“haha! xxx console sucks if it doesn’t sell as much as yyy console”…

This is a common attitude, but completly fails to identify quality titles on a system. Just look at this article. And ones regarding Pikmin 3…

Were talking about original, highly scoring exclusive titles, yet people still find things to bitch about.

It’s quite obvious that alot of people on here will not like the Wii U even if it does become more popular.

It’s going to happen again and again:

When Bayonetta 2 scores 8′s and above (almost guaranteed) :

“Yeah, this sucks this game isn’t multiplatform, yadda yadda yadda…”

When Mario 3D Land U scores 8′s and above :

“Milking, rehash franchise, yadda yadda…”

It’s the same shit everytime. Just buy a PS4 / Xbone and shut the fuck up…

#73 11 months ago
  74. stealth

“I’m just worried that all of this effort will go unseen and under-appreciated as a result of the game being exclusive to Wii U, a format so closed that even heavyweights like Ubisoft, EA and Activision want little to do with it.”

Uh they arent, ubisoft has 7 games, activision has 7 games, namco is doing stuff, square, atlus, capcom, ect that statement comes off so butthurt.

Its year one.

Guess what I dont think a game like GTA will shine on all pc, ps3, and 360 get rid of one

#74 11 months ago
  75. Joe Musashi

What I find remarkable is this:

PEOPLE: “The Wii U is in a bad way. It needs more games. Stand-out games that show it off”

A wild stand-out game appears!

PEOPLE: “This games is wasted on the Wii U. It should have gone to another platform”

¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯

JM

#75 11 months ago
  76. stealth

People say the wii u needs games. Then when it gets one, we have “writers” saying its a shame its on it.

This is why nintendo can never win

#76 11 months ago
  77. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “never played”
    Did i forget to mention i sometimes borrow my friend’s Wii U and a few games for a few days
    Did i forget to mention i just purchased a 3DS last week.
    Really you don’t know anything about me, so keep it shut.

“but feels the need to add his 2-cents on shit Nintendo related.”
    26: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/14/japanese-charts-disney-magic-castle-holds-top/#comment-523981
    9: http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/22/pikmin-3-japanese-debut-produces-unexpectedly-modest-sales/#comment-514330
    15: http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/19/3ds-outselling-ps3-xbox-360-week-by-week-in-uk-according-to-nintendo/#comment-513918

You know Francis, its very sad that you think you know me better than me.

#77 11 months ago
  78. CrK

Dave Cook:

“@12 I never said it was a pretty waste. See the question mark at the end of the headline? That means it’s a question. I’m not saying it is a waste.”

Answer: https://twitter.com/davescook/status/369356145430769664

Explain this, Cook.

#78 11 months ago
  79. VibraniumSpork

Obligatory: http://borderofinsanity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/meme-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

#79 11 months ago
  80. DrDamn

@Francis
    But shooters are shooters aren’t they? The whole shooter genre is a waste of time and money. They all do the same thing.

#80 11 months ago
  81. Lengendaryboss

Holy hell, Dave is really getting the full force of their wrath.

Of course.

#81 11 months ago
  82. monkeygourmet

Alot of people here would get a little semi if Nintendo went under.

God knows why, but i suppose it would provide validation to the strange dislike of their games and products.

“Why oh why can’t Nintendo do the same thing as the other console manufacturers?!

I would love it if all 3 of the ‘main’ consoles were almost identical, that would be so much fun!”

#82 11 months ago
  83. VibraniumSpork

Dave vs. the Ninty Apologists: Electric Boogaloo

I really don’t think Dave is keen to see Nintendo go under, and I don’t think he’s trying to rile up WiiU fans. The main crux of Dave’s argument is – to me – a perfectly valid one, and is summed up concisely at the end of the article: “That’s the real shame in all of this; that something genuinely intriguing might be pissed away without having a fighting chance to shine.”

How anyone can find fault in that is beyond me. You could flood the WiiU with all the greatest games in the world right now and it wouldn’t make one jot of difference to the console’s success. It has poor market presence, its games and hardware attain consitently low sales figures, and it is in for an exceedingly tough Christmas. How does any of that translate into good news for the Wonderful 101?

Nintendo have fluffed the WiiU’s branding and marketing and are now in a position where the general public have *no idea* that this console even exists. That’s the same general public who are very much aware that the XB1 and PS4 exist btw, even though both are months away from being released.

With that in mind, to still disagree that even the greatest of titles is bound to have a tough time reaching a large, appreciative audience when releasing on the WiiU is to show little else than a total lack of perspective. It’s not a bad console, but it *is* in a bad place.

#83 11 months ago
  84. viralshag

As opposed to the massive boner a few would get if we all blindly loved them without question?

The silliest thing is, other than the pad the WiiU has tried to be just like the last gen of consoles. Better online capabilities, HD gaming, aimed for more third party…

It’s not going to be like the 2 new consoles because it’s aimed to be like the last two. That to me is a fault rather than a strength. Not Nintendo trying to be the “odd one out”.

#84 11 months ago
  85. zinc

I expect Platinum do not give a fuck as long as their games Metacritic score is in the 90′s & Ninty’s check doesn’t bounce.

#85 11 months ago
  86. monkeygourmet

You can’t get over the fact there will be a large number of highscoring exclusive games on Wii U by the end of next year.

If your into games, that should be the main focus. The power, sales figures, shouldn’t really worry you.

It’s starnge that the Wii U almost seems to anger people with it’s mere existance.

Not powerful enough
    Kiddie’s Console
    Doesn’t sell

Rage
    Rage
    Rage….

To not play some of these titles because you can’t afford the system is one thing, to want to erase there existance or complain they aren’t multiplatform is just plain silly.

#86 11 months ago
  87. Ireland Michael

> @10 poats the most relevant and balanced post in the comments sections.
    > everyone else goes absolutely batshit crazy arguing with each other.

#87 11 months ago
  88. Gekidami

Nah. Most people actually see that the Wii-U is a sunken ship and devs shouldnt be wasting their time on it. The “It just needs more stand out games!” crowd tend to be the Nintendo fanboys with their ‘X IP will turn the Wii-U around’ logic (the word ‘logic’ being used in the loosest possible way).

#88 11 months ago
  89. viralshag

@86, Honestly, I couldn’t give a toss if every game on the WiiU scored 90 or over. The fact remains I have zero interest in most of their franchises and I’m not so bothered that I’m going to go out and buy a console for the couple that I am. I would happily borrow one if I knew anyone that owns one but I don’t.

Am I disappointed I won’t play some of them? Yeah sure, for about 30 seconds when I read something about them. Do I care? Not really. I only really pay attention because we’re between generations and the gaming industry is a bit slow at the moment.

As I said before, why would I buy a WiiU when I have a current gen console and a next gen console on pre-order? It offers nothing but a few exclusives which isn’t convincing enough to me. Maybe if they had a decent list of games OUT NOW and not the DUE FOR RELEASE, it might be tempting. By that time I will have an XB1 and probably not give the WiiU a second thought.

Nice excuse about the power of the console. How it’s trying to stand out from the crowd… that’s a good one. You wonder why Nintendo fans get so much stick and it’s because you can’t simply let people have a criticism of the company, the games or the consoles. It’s either pro-Nintendo or some excuse for why it’s the way it is.

#89 11 months ago
  90. polygem

well tbh wiiu is the most interesting and fun to use console of them all right now.

it comes with some major disadvantages though.

it lacks third party games. you wont be able to play diablo III and dark souls 2 on that thing eventhough it wouldn´t be a problem technically, and that is sad…and the online could improve.
    miiverse is the shit though, it´s just great stuff.
    wiiu should have been bundled with a pro controller.
    white and black should have been both 32 gb models, priced 249 euros.
    wiiu needs more indies and nintendo should have made a better job to get the 3rd parties in – that´s for sure.
    wiiu does not need to be more powerful though.

i am not feeling the next gen yet. right now, in fact, it bores the shit out of me already.
    what we´ve seen (so far) was nice but forgetable, nothing that makes me really excited.
    what´s new? they showed some tv stuff, sports,etc…but…i am a gamer.

nintendo try to deliver new gaming experiences and i am very thankful for that. i think this attitude desrves respect and support. they focus on the games. they just do. no matter how you look at it.

i just wish more gamers could see past all that tech-dickwaving, graphic wow-moments and would actually look for the games under all those polygons. if you finally do that it becomes pretty damn hard not to enjoy nintendo games.

#90 11 months ago
  91. zinc

Who needs GRAFIK POWR!! when you have Nintendo Magic, eh Poly?

;)

#91 11 months ago
  92. Clupula

Dave, when are we getting an ignore button? For months now, we’ve been told that the site is getting a revamped format. That’s the feature I look forward to the most, tbh.

#92 11 months ago
  93. OlderGamer

Good posts JM, really.

Also some good posting by MG.

Dave, words fail me. I read your piece, and reread it twice. I am not sure what you are trying to say. What is your message, and more over your motivation for writing this article? I get the idea of the system having a low install base and there fore less gamers have the opertunaty to enjoy W101.

However, isn’t that going to be the case with every game WiiU has? So you are implying that because of its smaller user base…Nintendo shouldn’t(nor anyone else) dev/pub games for WiiU? I mean strip away the layers, that is the crux of it.

If your not first, you shouldn’t bother. If you can’t sell squilions, you aren’t worthy.

Here is how my gaming works, now maybe this is just me: I see a high quality game that interests me, and I tend to want to buy/play that game. The platform doesn’t matter to me. If it is a platform that I don’t yet own, I then look at the library and see if there is enough there to warrant purchasing the system. This is how it is, in my head anyways, supposed to work.

Interested in Halo, buy a MS system. Interested in Uncharted, buy a Sony system. Interested in a WiiU exclusive….buy a WiiU. That is the entire point of having exclusives…to move your hardware and set it apart from the other hardware on the market.

As for WiiU having other quality games in addition to W101, that is an opinion. Mine would be yes it does. Will the system have a lot of high quality games over the coarse of its life time? I think it will, yes.

I recently posted that I was holding off on a PS4 and X1 because I felt that right now there wasn’t enough games on either system to warrant the purchase of either system at launch…all in my opinion of course. I was told rather passionately, that you don’t only buy the systems for the games currently out but you also buy them for the promise of games to come. Makes a bit of sense. I can see the logic. But doesn’t that also apply here too? Look at the games out for WiiU in year one, some really high quality games. More are on the way. Shouldn’t that be enough to warrant the systems existence?

I just don’t and never could understand the pure hate for Nintendo. I can fully understand how someone might not like their games. They are a bit different then what is offered on the other systems. Pikmen and W101 being just two recent examples. And before it goes there, Sony and MS didn’t want Bayo2…Nintendo saved that franchise.

On one hand you have people bitching about lack of innovative titles. They complain about rehashing franchises. Massive amounts of console gamers have been turning to PC, to indies. Because for the most part a lot of devs/pubs are stuck in a treadmill of same old shit. Monitization is more important than a creative and fresh product. Make yet another Cod, BF, Uncharted, Fable, AssCred, Elder Scrolls, Gow, Halo, NFS, Mario, Mario Kart, you name it…because those will sell.

Along comes something that breaks the mold…and it is a waste because not enough people own the system it is on…isn’t he point of making exclusive games to drive sales of your system? Taking it to an extreme(ofc) but no one owns a PS4 or X1 right now…so there is no point of buying either and making a game for it is a waste. Or tone it down, right, because there is a such a large install base of PS360s out there it would be a waste to put a game on X1 or PS4 exclusively because less people will have the chance to play them. Rather silly if you ask me.

And so is calling W101 a waste.

To me, the shame isn’t that the game is on a smaller install base platform. The shame is that so many people would turn their nose up at the game and the system simply because of the logo on the box. Think back to Sega Hardware. Same type of thing in regards to the many great Saturn games. The tragedy wasn’t that Panzer Dragoon Saga or Dragon Force was on a lesser selling system, the tragedy was that so many gamers allowed themselves to over look the Saturn and those games. That is where the real waste is imo.

Your article Dave, reaffirms that thinking btw. It is like preaching to choir unfortunately. And to think of how many people continue to miss out on gems over platform blindness and brand loyalty.

In a perfect console world, I think, all games would work on all platforms. But the closest thing we have to that is a PC. Until we get to a point where everything will play every game, there will always be a gap, a line that seperates some games from some platforms. That is the nature of the console market.

#93 11 months ago
  94. ActionGameKing

Dave why must we always see eye to eye? lol This article is what people needed to read. Fantastic, imaginative game with some flaws, that may never find it’s audience due to the console it’s on. Hope I’m wrong.

#94 11 months ago
  95. viralshag

Don’t like Nintendo games = Hating.
    Don’t like the console = Hate the brand.
    Think it’s underpowered = Can’t look beyond graphics.
    Think it’s over priced = Tight bastard.

And my favourite:

Want to play Nintendo games outside of a Nintendo console = WANTS NINTENDO TO GO UNDER AND DIE!

Does that about sum up the translation of what people think into what Nintendo fans think they mean?

#95 11 months ago
  96. Foos

@35 Asking a question obviously. Whats it to you?

#96 11 months ago
  97. OlderGamer

No Viral it doesn’t. It does come close to summing up fanboys tho.

Because the samething can be applied to other systems:

Don’t like Sony/MS games = Hating. Not seeing the quality in games like Uncharted or Halo, for example.

Don’t like the console = Hate the brand. As is often the case.

Think it’s underpowered = Can’t look beyond graphics. This one is often the case. Some people think that power means everything. But look at Wii and look 3DS, hell look at PS2. Power doesn’t mean everything, that has been proven several times before.

Think it’s over priced = Tight bastard. No, not really. I think the WiiU is over priced, said so several times. Some folks have to make a choice, some can’t buy new, that has ZERO to do with the logo on the box. It also doesn’t seem to be the case for most of us posting here.

As far as your fav wanting to Nintendo to die, um no again. Most people I know play games outside of a Nintendo system. Myself included. Most WiiU owners will tell you it makes a great companion console. Best owned for great exclusives like ..oh, I don’t know W101 perhaps? Or Pikmen? Or ZombiU. Or Monster Hunter 3 ult. Or any number of things coming down the pipe…like Bayo2 for example.

But a lot of people are hating to hate.

And it isn’t even that hate that bothers me, it is when it gets aimed at gamers/fans of the system. Like it is my fault you don’t want one? It isn’t even my job or place to tell you why you should want one or to convince you. Just like it shouldn’t be someones passion to tell me why I shouldn’t want one or am a loser for enjoying it. Because that does indeed fall into the shadows of fanboyism.

#97 11 months ago
  98. Dragon246

@Viral,
    Completely sums it up perfectly, especially on this site.
    ….

Its a shame really. Lynch-mobbing mentality of a few fanboys lead good editors/journos to interact less with their community. Dave himself said that in a post.
    Really people, get a life. Opinions are just that, OPINIONS.

#98 11 months ago
  99. OlderGamer

Right Dragon246, live and let live. No need to hate one way or another amirite?

#99 11 months ago
  100. polygem

@98: i smell a troll

#100 11 months ago
  101. darthroseman

Let me ask a different question as a counterpoint: without Nintendo, does this game get made at all? Because we know Bayonetta 2 would not have, so, if it wasn’t exclusive, it wouldn’t exist. Thus, the exclusive argument doesn’t make sense from a realistic stand point. If you’re sad you can’t play an exclusive, buy the system. If it isn’t enough for you to buy the system then don’t.

Imagine if you’re watching a sports team, and everyone expected another team’s best players to ALSO play for their team because, you know, he’s good. Why would theowner of the team do this when the star brings the money, not all the average players you can see on every team? It is almost like this is the point of having an exclusive product or something. Weird!

#101 11 months ago
  102. Alernet

What was the point of this article? Post this bullshit to your personal tumblr. This isn’t news.

Also, the game wouldn’t exist without Nintendo, genius.

“DO YOU EAT SHIT?”

#102 11 months ago
  103. Unknown_Gamer

@101 @102 It does get made when it comes to other companies ( Not specifically Sony or Microsoft )
    Now quit being smart and stop praising Nintendo for nothing , These games wont reach many hands if its exclusively on Nintendo Platform , its not even originally exclusive who am i joking lol .

#103 11 months ago
  104. Bomba Luigi

I find it rather Strange that the Internet complains about the WiiU because it has no Games but when it gets a good Game once in While like now People getting upset because it gets a Game.

I really don’t understand whats so bad about releasing a good Game on a Console that needs a bigger Libary of good Games. Why blaming them for doing there god damn job? Its about Time the Console gets more good Games.

Games getting not Released for the WiiU, People complaining. Games getting Released for the WiiU, People complaining. I just don’t understand that, for me its always a good thing when a good Game comes out, no matter what kind of Console/Plattform.

#104 11 months ago
  105. Joe Musashi

What have you done? You FOOLS! This topic was perfect at 101 comments. Now it’s RUINED! :(

JM

#105 11 months ago
  106. Lengendaryboss

@To All Those Related
    Hmm first party releases exclusively for Wii U = no controversy.
    Second party releases exclusively for Wii U = no controversy.
    Third party releases exclusively for Wii U = Goes bap crap crazy

That is the pattern with Wii U exclusive releases, like it or lump it. Stop insinuating its with all Wii U releases.
    Did Pikmin 3 gain controversy? No. Did this and bayonetta? Yes.

#106 11 months ago
  107. Bomba Luigi

@106: But I really don’t get whats so bad about a Third Party Exclusive. Nintendo offered Platinum a Job and they did it, whats so terrible about that?

#107 11 months ago
  108. Lengendaryboss

Its a problem in general.

Nothing is terrible but when you have the above insinuating that every Wii U release is met with controversy thats a problem.

Edit: another one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.823287-3rd-Party-Exclusives-The-Declining-Relevancy-of-Console-Gaming

#108 11 months ago
  109. Clupula

@95 – I feel like someone needs to save your post and re-use it over and over again whenever certain fanboys get their panties in a twist about articles like this.

HOW DARES DAVE QUESTIONS DA GREAT NINTENDO?!? HERETIC! HERETIC!

I think you can always tell the problem is you, not the article, when you start wondering what was the purpose of someone giving their opinion. I’ve come down on the opinions of several of the articles here and also wondered why a couple articles here and there were considered news, but I don’t recall ever wondering why someone had an opinion.

What is your evil, secret hidden motivation behind having an opinion, Dave? Spill it!

#109 11 months ago
  110. elem187

“Is The Wonderful 101 a pretty waste on Wii U?”

Why would it be a waste? The game would bomb on PS3 and Xbox 360. It doesn’t have space marines in it – that regenerates full health every 2 seconds, and I don’t see much grey and brown in the color palettes either…. the game would bomb hard on the Dudebrostation and Dudebrobox60…. tongue-in-cheek of course.

#110 11 months ago
  111. viralshag

@109, I know… I’m going to keep it somewhere. It’s funny because I personally think it’s true that (on this site at least) you can barely say a bad word against Nintendo without the usual suspects telling you how wrong we all are or that we just “don’t get it”.

The point that most seem to miss is that I couldn’t care less this is a Nintendo exclusive. I just think it’s a damn shame it’s on a dead end and imo crap console. Even if/when it does pick up, my guess next year maybe, I can just see this being a forgotten title gathering dust somewhere.

#111 11 months ago
  112. absolutezero

I personally took umbrage to the idea that this would sell if it was on any other console.

It would not.

#112 11 months ago
  113. Lengendaryboss

Oh i also forgot to mention at @44 the Nintendo fans who make stereotypical comments about offerings on PS3 and Xbox360 and labelling them “Dudebrostation and Dudebrobox60″ and palming off every game as “dudebro” shooter.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

#113 11 months ago
  114. Rockin a Jack D

What has Dave Cook been smoking? Platinum games in general have never been big sellers on any system. Nor have they produced any games that sell consoles.

Bringing The Wonderful 101 on the X1/PS4 wouldn’t make a difference because their market share is going to be less than that of the Wii U. Remember the Wii U is still almost 4m units ahead of the PS4/X1.

The Wonderful 101 , just like Bayonetta 2, was funded by Nintendo. without them there would no The Wonderful 101. To quote Hideki Kamiya:

We’re a development company…Nintendo gives us money, we make Bayonetta 2 and W101, and they sell it…So if Nintendo says ‘We’re putting Bayonetta 2 on PS360′ it’ll come out on those platforms…So ask Nintendo about it…

So to say the game would be a waste on the Wii U is completely redundant as it will never be on any other systems anyway.

This is just another troll baiting article by VG247. This website is becoming the equivalent to The Sun news paper.

This is gaming journalism at it’s most pathetic form.

__

#114 11 months ago
  115. super3001

game website should be news. opinion is for blog. this is not good to have opinion on news website becose opinion is always wrong in somebody eyes

it can make only argument. always

#115 11 months ago
  116. AllCreation

@103 @109 and @111

It was the headline that brought me here. I did a Google search for Wii U, clicked the News link and this was literally the second option on the list So…

The obvious problem with the article is that “Dave” is parading his opinion around as if it is in fact NEWS and if you know anything of journalism, journalistic integrity or the importance of objectivity at all in the News, you know that your personal opinion has NO place there.

He conveniently and negligently left out any and all information concerning Nintendo’s involvement in the production and funding of the project and the Simple fact that despite what any of the other comments may say, this Game Does NOT Get created With out Nintendo.

“Is The Wonderful 101 a pretty waste on Wii U?” How does any one read that and see it as anything less than an Attack on the Console?

#116 11 months ago
  117. Jaymer

Your intent is meaningful

But frankly, this is the usual complaint on exclusives in general.

The point of it being on the Wii U is to make people who want the game to buy the Wii U. Which at the same time solves your issue of the Wii U having a small install base.

Either way most Platinum games flourish in popularity already, not in sales, cause they always flop but not in memory and the gameplay experiences, just like Platinum’s other memorable games.

Also W101 was built on Wii U’s concept, its not going to work as well on other consoles without the features Wii U has. And the fact that Platinum otherwise made a game that was already licensed by Nintendo. People seem to confuse that, but that’s what it is.

#117 11 months ago
  118. smashbrolink

To the lamenting masses and the author of this travesty of an article, I say this;
    If you didn’t like it on Wii U, you wouldn’t like it on another system, since the stick controls for the PS360 controllers would be practically identical to the Classic Pro controller on the Wii U, not to mention the Game Pad.
    So quit whining about the Wii U getting a good game. Especially when you don’t want to practice until you get the controls down pat in any case.

Also, @ #103; That will change once the install base increases.
    And the install base won’t increase without great games to entice that change.
    Following your ideals would just lead to further stagnation for the Wii U, so quit insinuating that it’s wasted on the system.

#118 11 months ago