Thief reboot dated for February launch, new trailer inside

Friday, 16th August 2013 14:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Thief Publisher Square Enix has dated Eidos Montreal’s reboot for a February launch. We’ve got a new trailer here.

The game has been dated for a February 25, 2014 launch on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in North America. It drops February 28 in Europe.

We’ve also got the game’s official packshot here.

Are you looking forward to Thief? Let us know below.

1. actuallyisnotafox

im looking forward to it, should be cool :)

#1 12 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Hm, little mixed feelings about this one. One hand it looks great, on the other it seems a little bit focus-less. A lot of the images were just environmental designs.

#2 12 months ago
  3. absolutezero

Remember, No Jumping.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

It will probably end up selling millions… and be deemed a commercial failure.

#4 12 months ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

@2 I hope they’ve worked on the game’s patchy logic since the E3 showing. As much as it is a game, in Thief they’re also trying to have the player be Garrett, and so, it would be better for the world to behave as one might anticipate – and leave player’s focus free to plan and sneak, not second-guess the game.

That’s why things such as moss arrows are great, because you know that if you tread on that surface, you’re not going to draw attention to your movement, or alert guards. Same with extinguishing lamps, you’re making distinct changes to the environment. I’d hope to see the guards become aware of lighting changes in the area they’re patrolling.

I hope we will see that lessons have been learned, from Absolution’s ridiculous approach to covert movement and acting below suspicion.

@3 Too noisy :p

#5 12 months ago
  6. TD_Monstrous69

From what I’ve seen, it looks stellar. Kinda reminds me of Dishonored (though this franchise is where Dishonored got its inspiration from). Looks like come February 25th, I’ve got a game to pick up for my PS4. Also @Ireland Michael; What’s up with the cynicism? Just kidding, I see what u did there, cleaver.

#6 12 months ago
  7. fearmonkey

I think this game looks beautiful, and I can’t wait to play it, but as a long time Thief fan, I cant shake that garret doesnt feel like the old Garret from these vids. Garret was a sly cynical self centered guy and they make him sound much more humanitarian in this game.

The environments looks awesome and I love that the kept the city as it was, but as good as the voice acting is, it just doesnt seem like Garret to me.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Kreion

I will wait to see if this is actually distinct enough from Dishonored before picking it up I think. That game may have been inspired by the Thief series, but if this one ends up feeling less enjoyable than Dishonored…well I’ll just continue buying one and not the other xD I am looking forward to a focus on proper stealth though!

#8 12 months ago
  9. TheWulf

It’s just so desaturated! Both outdoors and indoors… totally desaturated. That’s what I can’t get over. You can have things that look shadowed without making them look completely desaturated.

I don’t understand — why does the mainstream hate colour? Why even own a colour television or monitor in the first place? I’m completely serious, it looks like a ’50s era film, but it doesn’t have the light and shadow to back it up to truly be called noir. So it just looks bad.

I just… don’t understand. Desaturation like this looks absolutely dreadful, aesthetically it’s the worst possible choice you could make, and yet there it is. Glaring at me in that horrid trailer.

I can’t help but notice how much genuinely better TheDarkMod is (and you should click that), simply because it uses colour to its advantage. If you know how to use colour properly, then it can really add to the atmosphere of a setting.

This is just Dishonored though, isn’t it? It’s not even Theif anymore, it’s just Dishonored 1.5.

Sigh.

I really wish I understood why the mainstream hated colour so much because it’s just baffling to me. Like I said, we might as well all just buy greyscale televisions and monitors at this point, we’re not actually going to need anything that does colour, are we? :I

#9 12 months ago
  10. TheWulf

Yup, he’s a lone, handsome youngster out to save the world from itself. And humour? Gasp! That’s a naughty word in our contemporary mainstream, everything must be po-faced and everyone must look serious enough that their seriousness could be mistaken for constipation!

I just… don’t understand the contemporary mainstream. MORE boring! MORE serious! MORE desaturated!

When did we all become soulless accountants?

Did I miss that memo?

Anyway, I remember when Garrett was a characterful old fart — not particularly handsome or silver-tongued, but he was charismatic and funny. He was also, yes, a believable character. I don’t like this new Garrett because he sounds like another ‘save the world’ cardboard cutout.

I want snark, I want colour, I want believable motivations. Am I really so alone in that?

#10 12 months ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

@10 The original character, the way the game employed him; his comments and observations to fill the player in on the time and world they explored was really good. I found that aspect particularly in Thief II: The Metal Age, to be wonderful. His delivery and tone, it was very much as that of a voice in the character’s head as you played. As opposed to some disconnected observer.

“Garret was a sly cynical self centered guy” I agree. It felt as if you were listening in on an internal conversation, but of course, the details also would often prove valuable to whatever situation that you might be in. Garrett felt like a Master Thief, a professional at work, with you alongside, witnessing his activities. I would be very pleasantly surprised if THIEF 2014 is able to draw on that kind of influence, in order to involve the player in what it is presenting.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Citrus raptor

More contrivced political messages… *sigh* Give it a rest. Why not just have it about a thief that steals?!

#12 11 months ago