Sony signs Viacom to Internet TV plan – rumour

Friday, 16th August 2013 03:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Anonymous sources suggest Sony and Viacom have signed a deal to deliver Internet-based pay TV, pipping Microsoft and Google at the post.

Citing anonymous sources familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal reports Sony is planning to stream cable channels and on-demand programming, in competition with traditional pay TV services like cable and satellite.

The Viacom content would be delivered to PlayStation devices as well as Sony smart TVs, with later plans to extend the service to tablets and smartphones. Sources said Sony’s TV browsing interface is graphic-rich, superior to “clunky” offerings elsewhere.

It’s not clear if Viacom’s deal would be an exclusive, or whether other companies could also sign the company to their own services. The sources said the details of the Viacom deal are still being negotiated, and that Sony is in discussion with Walt Disney (which owns ESPN), Time Warner (HBO, TNT and TBS) and CBS (Showtime) as well.

The deal seems quite credible as Viacom has been aggressively chasing IPTV, notably providing dedicated apps for Xbox Live and providing content for services like Netflix.

Although the Sony Entertainment Network currently hosts a number of cable channels and entertainment apps, accessible via PlayStation 3, neither it nor its rivals in the race for IPTV have signed an entire provider of Viacom’s size before. Viacom’s channels include MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount, Comedy Central, VH1 and Spike.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. machy

all we need is Giakia

#1 12 months ago
  2. Kanok

Oh no TV TV TV again. :P

#2 12 months ago
  3. SlayerGT

@2 Yeah..but whoa.

#3 12 months ago
  4. melonbuster1

Game system huh?? Bull

#4 12 months ago
  5. wally10975

You realize SONY owns much more than just Playstation right? Like say for examble their Bravia TV line? Or their SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) services.

#5 12 months ago
  6. melonbuster1

So when Microsoft talks tv .. you haters come out in full attack mode

#6 12 months ago
  7. wally10975

Never did I say such a thing, though I did think it foolish to center the Xbox One reveal around TV, clouding the image of what the device was meant for

#7 12 months ago
  8. Christopher Jack

@6, Wasn’t the TV everyone had issues with, it was the reveal that focused on TV.

#8 12 months ago
  9. bennyx

@6 when MS had their reveal it was all focused on tv tv tv and only after the backlash did they start to focus on games…..Sony did the most important thing with the games,now they are just filling in the rest of the gaps

#9 12 months ago
  10. Irani

Stop Imitation Sony , Shame On You Sony , You Are Thief Sony , Go Hell Sony

#10 12 months ago
  11. Irani

Sony Is Bloody Bitch , I Hate Japanese , Fu.ck Your Almond eyes

#11 12 months ago
  12. OlderGamer

^^^^

We could use a site wide community manager to babysit. These alt accounts have been getting out of hand.

#12 12 months ago
  13. OlderGamer

At the article, seems like a another good reason to wait and see where all of the chips fall before buying anything.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

@9 I don’t think that only started to focus on games after the criticism that followed the Xbox One reveal. The E3 event a few weeks later was nothing but games, after all.

But it does demonstrate the importance of sending the right message and making the right first impression. Xbox One’s initial message and impression poorly judged by Microsoft and the stigma it set is proving difficult to renounce.

We’re all aware of how mistakes made at a console announce can blight the machine for its lifespan.

JM

#14 12 months ago
  15. DUST3222

This makes me happy you know why? Because now I can throw out my shitty time warner set top box that’s slower than watching a slug race. Seriously constant freezing when trying to watch on demand having to reset your box or get a new one plus the outrageous price for cable plus the movie channels. Now if only my ps4 served me mixed drinks :/

#15 12 months ago
  16. mongbatstar

@11 Ah, racism. The best way to emphasise your argument.

I’m glad Sony are quietly ticking along and potentially adding these services to the console.

It makes you wonder how far ahead Microsoft could have been were it not for their disastrous PR.

#16 12 months ago
  17. KAP

agree

#17 12 months ago
  18. DUST3222

If you don’t acknowledge it then trolls will go else where.

#18 12 months ago
  19. super3001

so tv is fine if sony say so?

sony fans are fucking hypocrite asslickers if this thread not full of ALL ABOUT GAMES comment.

where is sonygamer247 smartass comments on the tv tv tv? oh ye not ms so is fine

gtfo racist is banning offense

#19 12 months ago
  20. loci

Sony isn’t just a console maker. They also make Internet enabled TV’s etc.
    This deal isn’t purely for the PS4.
    Hilarious seeing Xbots get angry tho. Sony just pissed on their TV fire….big style.

#20 12 months ago
  21. TD_Monstrous69

@19 Speaking as someone who’s a fan of Sony (not a fanboy), I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with Microsoft talking about TV. Hell, that was the most interesting part of its unveiling back in May (that, and Quantum Break).
    If Sony has signed Viacom to an internet TV deal, this is huge, and quite frankly shows a lot more ambition on the services front. Though would really like it if I could watch HBO on my PS4. That would be awesome. Here’s 2 hoping a deal with Time Warner works out.

#21 12 months ago
  22. redwood

ok am not an expert.. but viacom is a giant, so the way i see it, this does not guarantee too much. cause channels like HBO and others have their own contracts and obligations. So they are not obligated to follow whatever contract their parent company holds (probably) .. am just assuming all this so I can be horribly wrong, but with large companies contracts and agreements are always rather sketchy. you never know what the child-company might agree to or not.

#22 12 months ago
  23. Biscuitpants

@20 yeah because viacom is better then google

#23 12 months ago
  24. merrc

God, these Xbots are too much. The fact xbox had TV was not the issue, it being their main focus was. Sony hasn’t even commented on this, they’re just doing business as usual. Personally, I’d prefer the games first, and have an option for TV without another cable box.

#24 12 months ago
  25. fearmonkey

This is great, now I can watch TV using PS on my TV….

I could really care less about this on a console, but I know Sony has to do it because MS is. If TV is important to you, I would think the Xbox One would be the way to go.

All I have to say is $100 less and doesn’t have Kinect, so PS4 is where I am going for launch, later on who knows.

#25 12 months ago