GTA Online launches October 1, 16-players confirmed, trailer here

Thursday, 15th August 2013 08:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto Online will launch October 1st and will ship with GTA 5 on PS3 and Xbox 360. get the first details and trailer here.

What Rockstar Games says…

Rockstar gave a detailed overview of what exactly GTA Online involves over on the GTA 5 site. it goes as follows:

“Grand Theft Auto Online is a dynamic and persistent online world for 16 players that begins by sharing gameplay features, geography and mechanics with Grand Theft Auto 5, but will continue to expand and evolve after its launch with new content created by Rockstar Games and the grand theft auto community. Grand Theft Auto Online takes the fundamental grand theft auto concepts of freedom, ambient activity and mission-based gameplay and makes them available to multiple players in an incredibly detailed and responsive online world.

“In Grand Theft Auto Online, players have the freedom to explore alone or with friends, work cooperatively to complete missions, band together to participate in activities and ambient events, or compete in traditional game modes with the entire community, all with the personality and refined mechanics of Grand Theft Auto 5.

“Players can invest in their character through customizing their appearance, improving their stats, owning customized vehicles, purchasing personal property, and taking part in missions, jobs and activities to earn reputation and cash to open up new opportunities to rise through the criminal ranks. The world of grand theft auto online will constantly grow and change as new content is added, creating the first ever persistent and dynamic grand theft auto game world.

What the press says…

GTA Online previews have started sprouting up everywhere, and Gamespot tells of a well-planned heist between four players which involves stealing a truck full of goods. Once two players steal the truck a police chase begins, taking the crew from Los Santos to Blaine county. The other two robbers provide covering gunfire for the truck from their sports car the whole way. It seems like it was a true teamwork effort.

While GTA 5 and GTA Online are named separately the narrative of the former bleeds into multiplayer, and some characters are shared between both modes of play. You can hop into GTA Online by selecting your custom avatar, much in the same way you can cycle between Trevor, Franklin and Michael in the single-player.

Your online avatar gains progression while engaging in multiplayer too, and jumping into GTA Online match-makes you automatically with 16 other players. There’s no need for lobbies or any of that junk it seems. When connected, you can create custom races between two points with players, rob stores, plan heists and more. If you’re double-crossed during a job the game will add them to your list of rivals for payback later on.

People can kill you and steal your cash at any time, but you can deposit your spoils into your bank to avoid losing them all, as well as insuring your cars against malicious attacks. But if you do work together as a unit you can engage in many co-op missions across Los Santos and Blaine County to reap some big rewards. If you can’t be arsed with that, just play a round of golf instead.

What do you think?

Grand Theft Auto 5 hits PS3 and Xbox 360 on September 17.

1. Lengendaryboss

Yay!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Moonwalker1982

A month and a week to gooooooooooooo.

#2 11 months ago
  3. KAP

YEAHHHHHHHH.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

#4 11 months ago
  5. silkvg247

If you can play as a cop this will have potential, but if the cops are all AI not so much.

#5 11 months ago
  6. broketm

#5 Potential? APB had potential, I’m done with potential.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Cops? GTA? Play?

Those three words do not go hand in hand in this scenario.

#7 11 months ago
  8. k1llabeast

Great, can’t wait :D
    I’m really stoked for this.

#8 11 months ago
  9. ThatGamerGuyHezron

Wahooooo

#9 11 months ago
  10. silkvg247

@7 As in the players control both sides, because AI isn’t fun to play against.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Keivz

Just to be clear, this is the online portion of GTA V and not a separate game, correct?

#11 11 months ago
  12. xino

is this for GTA5 or another game?

#12 11 months ago
  13. Clupula

iPhone game.

#13 11 months ago
  14. schnide

@#4, Lengendaryboss

Is your username deliberately spelt wrong?

And can you post some insightful comments instead of links to gifs?

#14 11 months ago
  15. backup

very excited

while PC pirates jelly

#15 11 months ago
  16. SlayerGT

@5 Its funny you say that…

#16 11 months ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

There is a reason for the misspelt name (yes it is deliberate).

Oh do you not like gif? Are you not one of my biggest fans? ;)

Have you been following my comments? because at times they are insightful, jokeful, witty, sarcastic etc etc.

My question to you is why do you care what i comment?

#17 11 months ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

@silkvg247
    In multiplayer? or single player? or both?

I think GTA IV had it: cops versus robbers? (Multiplayer)

#18 11 months ago
  19. SlayerGT

@19 I think she means more of a free roaming RDR type of bounty hunting, but cops looking for heisters ;)

#19 11 months ago
  20. nani17

@16 it’s going to come to PC xbox one and ps4. Rockstar arent that stupid they have never skipped a big GTA on the PC. I’ll get it on ps3 then pc because the mods make the pc version so much better then console version

#20 11 months ago
  21. backup

after RDR2 or gta 6 it will come don’t worry

also GTA started on pc and yet it gets last port hahaha

#21 11 months ago
  22. KineticCalvaria

@22, remember that time you said to someone ‘don’t worry, Everquest Next will be on PS4′… well yeah :)

#22 11 months ago
  23. backup

wat is EQ ?

#23 11 months ago
  24. JopDiga

Who the fuck said EQ? He said Everquest Next and you said EQ that means you know that game. You said it will come to PS4 but it wont HAHA you FAG.

And they, GTA V will come for PC max. six months later and it will look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBw0R1AUU64

On PS3 it looks ugly as hell not even 720p, on PC it will look like reality.

(I own PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 but that backup shit guy is a poor fucker and can only buy PS3 and now he realised its shit and needs to defend it).

#24 11 months ago
  25. Lengendaryboss

Oh perfect: STOP FEEDING THE FUCKING TROLLS!

#25 11 months ago
  26. JopDiga

Please ban that fucking guy. Dave come one dont you realize that this guy is destroying vg247? Cant you just IP ban him? You can even ban me if you want but only if he also gets banned. Just make every day or two some kind of CHECK that if someone is obvious troll and cocksucker like that guy you ban him. Vg247 was a nice gaming website but no longer anymore.

#26 11 months ago
  27. nani17

22@ it’s because they spend more time on it’s awesomeness ;) plus every GTA since vice i think has come out months after the console.

Remember age before beauty.

#27 11 months ago
  28. backup

i owned JopDiga so much that he can’t even back to me

just started crying like kid,giving bad words and now wants to ban me lol

ownage was biggest i guess

#28 11 months ago
  29. backup

yay stop feeding Lengendaryboss wants to feed

#29 11 months ago
  30. JopDiga

You did a shit. I realized that you are a fucking teenager who gives blow jobs every day and I dont like teen-gay-people. So I wont reply to your shit and I will tell you: Your mom and dad will die because of aids because your mother is a bitch like you and I will go to your home and dance that day in your face.

VG247 is shit.

Besides I owned you: I gave you links to your PS3 pirate and hack stuff and even cheat.
    Also proved BF3 has more players and content than your MAG, LAG, FAG, DEAD shit.
    Also gave you biggest ownage pwnage in your face because I can play more games than you. I play Uncharted and when I dont want to play it anymore I go to PC gaming and play ARMA 3, Guild Wars 2 etc. while you only play the same games haha.

#30 11 months ago
  31. JopDiga

You idiot you can go to your PS3 and visit that website you fucker.
    It proves that you can play pirated games. Full stop you nigga.

#31 11 months ago
  32. JopDiga

Bye bye nigga backup cocksucker.

#32 11 months ago
  33. sebastien rivas

@27 JopDiga you look like you posted the same post in 2 different articles (BF4 and GTA5) regarding banning others and you along the way.

It rather sounds like you have animosity towards vg247 and its community than speak any truth of any sorts.

#33 11 months ago
  34. tmac2011

thursday :D saw it on facebook this morning freaking awesome

#34 11 months ago
  35. Biscuitpants

hahahahahhaha jopdiga is a legend

#35 11 months ago
  36. CaptPierce

I wanted to see what’s the hype about GTA Online, then remembered I saw a jet fighter being playable in a multiplayer sandbox.

Sold.

#36 11 months ago
  37. skydivinggamer

PC fags = the plague of gaming

#37 11 months ago
  38. Djoenz

Hold up OG, no need for that language keyboard gangsta you. Not even Backup used those kind of words.

#38 11 months ago
  39. actuallyisnotafox

multiplayer revel on the same day as results day, gta v release on the same day as i start uni, i think r* want me to choose D:

#39 11 months ago
  40. Moonwalker1982

I genuinely hope for the PC gamers that this game will come to PC very soon, cause this one is gonna be incredible.

#40 11 months ago
  41. cartina

Isn’t this wrong? 3pm UK and 10am PST isn’t at the same time. However 3pm UK and 10am EST is.

#41 11 months ago
  42. stretch215

Wow @31….. Lol. While that was extremely offensive, it was also hilarious. Good day, sir. On topic: is the rockstar site the only place to watch this?

#42 11 months ago
  43. JeRicHoOL

Can someone tell me what GTA Online is? Is it a PC game or smartphone game? Is it a proper GTA game like I, II, III, Vice City, SA, IV or just some half-assed shit?

#43 11 months ago
  44. XDamage

@45 It is just the multiplayer part of GTA V, on the same disc/download. Basically the same as when Metal Gear Solid 4 had Metal Gear Online for example.

But I wonder why they call it GTA Online, and not GTA V Online. Could there be more than just the V game world??

#44 11 months ago
  45. Hcw87

Typo? Will ship with PS3 and Xbox One? Oh god, as if getting a delayed Xbox One on my country wasn’t enough.

EDIT: Thank god. Finally something to keep me busy as hell until next year.

#45 11 months ago
  46. Ireland Michael

I’m officially sold now. I was looking forward to the game just for the single player, but that multiplayer has completely won me over.

First thing I’m doing when I get the game? ROUND OF GOLF!

#46 11 months ago
  47. CaptPierce

With this coming out, I know I won’t be needing a PS4/Xbox One anytime soon!

Have my car, have my soul, have my wife, just lemme play this NOWW!

#47 11 months ago
  48. TheBlackHole

What on earth is happening in this thread.

Incoherence. Users I’ve never heard of ranting at… something.

Expletives, homophobia, abuse and no ban hammer in sight.

Mmm.

#48 11 months ago
  49. Dave Cook

@51 it’s just me on the site today, I have no mod powers and I’m off the clock now. Sorry.

#49 11 months ago
  50. Dave Cook

@27 I fail to see how one guy being immature makes VG247 as a whole – shit. I ignore the guy. It’s that simple.

Again, I don’t have the tools to ban people. The rest of the guys do and it’s just me for most of this week.

I’ll raise it to the guys.

In the meantime, try and calm down alright?

#50 11 months ago
  51. TheBlackHole

No worries Dave, I don’t blame you – It’s crazy that you don’t have those powers.

Does seem odd that a bunch of morons all seem to have descended upon the same thread in unison.

#51 11 months ago
  52. Dave Cook

@54 I know man :)

Yeah it is mad. Maybe GTA brings out the crazies and we just didn’t realise it?

#52 11 months ago
  53. Hcw87

Those 2 have been at it several times in the past.

I’m hoping the new site redesign will have up/downvoting and ignoring of users.

#53 11 months ago
  54. Armitage Shanks

Looks great,anyone for golf?

#54 11 months ago
  55. Daodan

@46 While I agree it’s a bit odd, it could be that GTA Online will be an overarching online experience for GTA games. Imagine that when GTA 6 comes out, they can use this framework and just expand on it.

On the announcement, I’ve gotta say that even though I haven’t played the last couple of GTAs, this whole thing looks mighty impressive and fun.

#55 11 months ago
  56. Ireland Michael

So is this literally being treated as a separate product?

Because that would make for a great digital pricing scheme. Say… pay $30 for the single player, and $30 to buy the multiplayer component. It would benefit the consumer who wants a specific experience, and the companies, by giving them expanded revenue.

#56 11 months ago
  57. Daodan

@59 They could, except…
    “Access to Grand Theft Auto Online is free with every retail copy of Grand Theft Auto 5 and launches on October 1st.”

#57 11 months ago
  58. SlayerGT

@Dave any idea if your “online account” can travel between say, Live and PSN.?

#58 11 months ago
  59. deathm00n

@60 This statement leaves space to a version only with multiplayer. Like Killzone 3. You can buy the single, then the multi is free. But if you want to buy the multi alone, you can.

#59 11 months ago
  60. SlayerGT

@62 I agree. And will probably take advantage of such an opportunity.

#60 11 months ago
  61. mitcgotohell

i truly believe gta5/gta online is seriously going to change the landscape of gaming for the next years to come. They truly are raising the bar for the entire industry and I feel so excited to be able to witness it. Ive been with it since gta3 its amazing watching how far gaming has come and how much further it is going to go. Remember a few weeks ago hideo kojima was so impressed with gta it was driving him to go harder on metal gear.. i hope it becomes a trend! rockstar are gaming gods

#61 11 months ago
  62. Noodlemanny

Feelings after the video:
    What..?
    What the Fuck…
    Holy shit…

EDIT…
    Well I’m glad I didn’t read the other comments before posting this one…
    Don’t you just love it when something kills your vibe?

#62 11 months ago