Xbox One: no plans for Kinect-less console bundle, says Nelson

Wednesday, 14th August 2013 16:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One will not require a plugged-in Kinect sensor to function, but that it has no plans to release a Kinect-less console bundle as an alternative.

UPDATE: Over on this Reddit thread , Microsoft community chap Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hyrb shot down rumours that the company is planning a Kinect-less Xbox One bundle.

He simply said, “We have no plans for that. We are 100 per cent all in on Kinect.”

Thanks Eurogamer.

ORIGINAL STORY: Reiterating messaging from May, Microsoft’s Marc Whitten told IGN that Xbox One users can disable Kinect entirely, and even unplug the sensor if they like.

“Like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor,” he said.

“You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode.

“You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.”

Speaking to Kotaku, a Microsoft representative confirmed that games which use Kinect in a supplemental sense – for non-essential features like optional voice commands, for example – then users won’t need to plug the sensor in to play them. However, you’ll clearly sitll need it for games which use Kinect as a central gameplay feature, like Kinect Sports Rivals.

Asked whether there are plans to sell a Kinect-free Xbox One bundle, which would presumably enable a lower price, the representative said Kinect “is still an essential and integrated part of the Xbox One platform”.

“By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for consumers,” the spokesperson said.

On NeoGAF, senior Microsoft PR executive Albert Penello reiterated that the platform holder still believes in Kinect.

“We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it,” he wrote.

“We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for ‘Xbox On’ and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

“The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged.”

Microsoft’s U-turn on its used games-unfriendly but digital future-proof DRM policy was the first of a series of reversals.

It later went on to confirm self-publishing on the Xbox One, having previously acquired quite a poor reputation among indies.

1. JackThomas

Well done, Microsoft.

Not really, you still carried out this bullshit in the first place.

Do they expect gamers to just forget about it and run back into their arms?

They’re still $100 more expensive. If they come out and announce a non-Kinect-included Xbox One package for $399, then wow, Microsoft succumbed to all the pressure, literally. Even then the system is shit; Sony evidently had the gamers in mind.

Remove always-online
    Allow self-publishing
    No Kinect

These fucks really did a 180, eh?

#1 8 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Microsoft is spinning like crazy.

#2 8 months ago
  3. psxman

I almost can’t believe how many statements they’ve contradicted since the initial release. The Xbox 180 nickname really is quite credible.

This is sure to make a lot of people happy though, so good for them.

#3 8 months ago
  4. KineticCalvaria

At least they’ve seen the error of their ways, give them a break.

No company is perfect, look at the ridiculous PSN outage for instance and PS3 launch price.

#4 8 months ago
  5. SlayerGT

$400 standalone XBOne sku without Kinect in the works?

Everyone keep bitching! If we can get Gold Members for free I’ll totally get behind MS again.

#5 8 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Will pick up both consoles now, really glad they changed this.

Xbone is looking more and more promising. Sony need to up their game a bit now, MS stealing all those headlines and what not…

#6 8 months ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Perfecto is his name o.

Now all you need to do is remove it from the bundle, price drop and bam you got a purchase when i get into next gen.

#7 8 months ago
  8. actuallyisnotafox

oh no no that backlash was unjustified remember, why are you listening to us :/ silly microsoft

#8 8 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

Xbox720 is looking like a much more viable name now ;)

#9 8 months ago
  10. dex3108

This is starting to look really ridiculous. This is new Xbox One Main Theme

#10 8 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

At least you didn’t post ‘meat spin’…

#11 8 months ago
  12. machy

:O

#12 8 months ago
  13. Hcw87

Why aren’t people appreciating this?

Random hater: Fuck DRM/kinect, make it optional

MS makes kinect optional

Random hater: Fuck this, you’re changing things to the way we want it.

Keep making sense, world.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@13 Because fanboys.

#14 8 months ago
  15. SplatteredHouse

what’s going on, here!? Mattrick’s out, so his plans got flipped after him…It leaves me wondering what kind of Microsoft you’d end up dealing with, if you bought into this. And, I already got the impression that MS have all the direction of a rudder-less motorboat.

@5 If it’s not required AT ALL, then what’s it doing in the box, and why SHOULD people have to pay extra when they buy the console, for something they made a decision that they don’t intend to use (and let’s not mistake the sensor for some small bonus, in the financial sense, like a headset – that thing’s making up most of the price difference, between Microsoft Box and that of competitors)

#15 8 months ago
  16. dex3108

It is great news for gamers but with those really big changes MS doesn’t look mature and serious. Also this could mean that PS4 is selling way better so MS needs changes like this.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Hcw87

Kinect is the thing that sets it apart from the competition.

I agree that it would be nice with a kinect-free package though, but would it really make sense when they’ve hyped it up so much?

#17 8 months ago
  18. viralshag

It makes no difference to me as I will leave mine plugged in but it’s obvious they’re not far off a Kinect-less edition to make the final compromise on price to match the PS4.

#18 8 months ago
  19. CaptPierce

I’m actually happy with their reversal of policies, whether they were listening to their customers or not. It’s a win for the people that want to buy it.

However, with all the recent backpedaling to significant features and policies in the console, you can expect some launch problems are gonna happen. Watch. Red Rings all over again.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Beta

So if it can function without the camera can we expect them to release a version without Kinect?

It seems stupid to jack up the price by forcing Kinect on people who may never use it.

Though I’m still going PS4 first. I already have ps+, I want the new inFamous, and y’know.. Naughty Dog :P

I am getting more tempted to eventually get a One :)

#20 8 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@Beta
    Well they said there are “no plans” to release a Xbox One SKU without Kinect but at this point anything is possible.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Beta

@21 I do hope so, it’s one of the last things holding me back now.

I’m just not a motion control guy, never bought Eyetoy, Move or Kinect 1. Just don’t want to pay a premium for something I will never use.

#22 8 months ago
  23. Hcw87

How does that make sense? You do know RROD’s were caused by heat, right?

And making Kinect optional won’t produce more heat.

#23 8 months ago
  24. manamana

At this point I wonder why they even had a showing at E3. Everything they announced, promoted beforhand and showed at E3 is either cancelled or tweaked into the Sony side of things.

Call me a hater at this point but Microsoft lost their cool thoroughly. And the more they turn, the more I loose interest. They aren’t innovating, they are ass-licking. Great news for all the Microsoft fans out there, though. Northamerica will be flooded with XB180s.

#24 8 months ago
  25. Joe Musashi

If, as the article suggests, this isn’t actually new information then I can’t help but feel there’s some information Microsoft still isn’t giving us. Once I see an Xbox One without Kinect bundled I’d feel more certain of their intent.

Too much water under the bridge. And a lot of people aren’t going to magically overlook how much was going to be pushed towards the consumer and how insistent Microsoft were about it being integral to how the system operates.

JM

#25 8 months ago
  26. SplatteredHouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfIvPQ8Dgo – appropriately enough, a remix!

@17: That’s first part’s a fine statement, until maybe I ask: what it’s proven by? That’s what I’m looking at, but I don’t see a lot to write home about.
    Like it or not, they have a need to convince people that this kinect is something they want. Maybe, the wider world shows more favourably towards it when the time comes, but the current appearance is that a large amount of people do not want kinect, and it’s even true that it actively contributes to their disinterest in buying the system.

Who wouldn’t resent being asked for an extra 100 for a thing that’s just going to sit in storage. That’s going to count against the system, and it’s up to Microsoft to upset those scales to weigh far more positively to their interest. They haven’t been doing that. It feels like they figure if they take the lightest possible weights off, just each little one at a time, it’ll balance out somehow, despite there being a rock in place they’re hoping no-one notices!

#26 8 months ago
  27. CaptPierce

Well not just Red Rings either. There were a lovely host of other technical issues with them trying to rush the console out.

#27 8 months ago
  28. Abberjam

This is great. For me this was the last fly in the ointment that kept XBone from being the console I had always wanted it to be. Sadly, I can barely walk still from the HUMUNGOUS ARSE RIMMING that Microsoft gave me at E3, so too late boys, too late. Maybe in 18 months if the DRM hasn’t been “switched back on” I’ll re-consider, but I will NEVER forget. Until then, my Pre-ordered PS4 will be getting bucket-loads of lovin. If only this had been your E3 console Microsoft, if only.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Rafa_L

@13 It’s like that that cheating girlfriend you gave another shot, she’s trying really hard to compensate, being all you wanted, but it’s not the same.

#29 8 months ago
  30. Lahanas

@28 Microsoft showed tons of games at E3, far more interesting than anything Sony has shown. Xbox One is launching with the best games lineup in the history of consoles. If only every “HUMUNGOUS ARSE RIMMING” was like this one…

#30 8 months ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

Joke of the night:

#31 8 months ago
  32. RocknRolla

googd thing they are learning from Sony,, M$ pussies..

#32 8 months ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

Then gaming would be truly fucked.

“More interesting?” “Best lineup in history?” Please if that were true Xbox One pre-orders would be beating PS4 in both hardware and software. Because software sells hardware right?

Its purely opinion based.

#33 8 months ago
  34. Lahanas

@33 Even if Xbox One had the perfect launch lineup, it would still lose to PS4. Why? Because most gamers are entitled little fuckers who cant see beyond their nose. They would rather have their used games with no changes to the current rotten model, even if that means the collapse of the industry.

#34 8 months ago
  35. Phoenixblight

WHy is it the potential consumers fault? MS was the one selling something that was way ahead of its time. MS never gave a reason why they had all their horrendous DRM policies. THey fudged up and now they are playing the backwards game.

#35 8 months ago
  36. SplatteredHouse

@33 That more speaks to the grim state of past launch lineups if there’s anything to the statement. We don’t even have a Ridge Racer, this time! :( PGR, nothing. Make a new Metropolis Street Racer! :D

#36 8 months ago
  37. Mike W

I believe MS already announced that the XBO doesn’t need the Kinect to function a while back. So I don’t see why it’s causing people in an uproar. This is old news people, Brenna even has the link when they stated this information.

#37 8 months ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

Contradict yourself much?

You said “Xbox One is launching with the best games lineup in the history of consoles.” and now its a possibility in addition to being irregardless because of gamers being entitled?

Like i said software sells hardware: if the lineup was appealing it would be proven.

#38 8 months ago
  39. Brenna Hillier

Article updated with comments from Microsoft rep, Albert Penello.

#39 8 months ago
  40. SplatteredHouse

@37: ““We will have something similar for the Kinect with Xbox One. The system is designed to have Kinect be an integral part of the experience. It’s not the case where you’ll be able to remove the camera altogether.”

Before that: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/xbox-one-requires-kinect-connection/
    The information on this hasn’t been historically nearly as clear as you’re here trying to paint it.

#40 8 months ago
  41. Mike W

Your comments on the XBO has to be the most sensible ones yet. Kudos for you my friend :).

#41 8 months ago
  42. Mike W

Oh boy…..I wasn’t trying to paint anything. My interpretation I got from that article back in May was that I can turn off the kinect and lose some of the features that the device provides me with if I were to get the XBO.

#42 8 months ago
  43. SplatteredHouse

“The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it,” he wrote.”

>.< They don't get it. At all. Look you just told me, Mr. Microsoft, that your goal is to convince people of the value only once they've bought the system. lol! Good luck with that game-plan.
    @42: okay.

#43 8 months ago
  44. JB

@34 Sigh >_____<

#44 8 months ago
  45. Mike W

No worries.

#45 8 months ago
  46. Lengendaryboss

There becomes a point where you just feel sorry for him/her.

#46 8 months ago
  47. SplatteredHouse

Can anybody tell me why Microsoft is looking unable to put forward a compelling and solid case to promote their add-in. I hope we see that next week.

#47 8 months ago
  48. Mike W

I have to agree with you, I have to be honest the original policies that they had with the DRM were entirely to strict in my book. And they changed that, which was good thing to me, because I personally didn’t like it. But it made them look like fools for backtracking on something they said was going to be the future.

Next was the headset issuse, which shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place, but leave it to the Internet to bitch every possible little thing and eventually someone will crack.

Now we have this whole Kinect thing, personally I like the idea that this feature was unchanged because it was the only thing left that is seperating the XBO from the PS4.

If Microsoft decides to make a SKU without the kinect, then all that shit they talk about it being an integrated experience with the XBO, would be a pile rhino shit.

So yea you’re right, if Sony and MS were trying to sell us drugs that happen to be the PS4 and the XBO, MS is doing a terrible job on convincing me to buy their product, with all this backtracking.

#48 8 months ago
  49. MCTJim

No matter what they do, people will always complain..brings back the old adage of No matter what decisions you make someone will always be mad at you….Well I want the system as is..no more changes..bring back DRM and family sharing..screw the used game market as the Gamestops of the world screw the consumer with the crap trade in $$’s anyways.

I’ve noticed that some people only see the tree in front of them and not the whole forest..this indeed applies here. They offered way more than people could see. Everything they outlined was plain a day..but people only saw the one tree…shame really.

#49 8 months ago
  50. mitcgotohell

sweet fuck people are retarsed. show me the logic in this sony dickriders.. you shit on a console for doong things you dont think is right.. they listen and change a bunch of things to please the consimers and so you rip them up for it.. complete morons. I love xbox and in my opinion its the better console but i own ps3 as well for exclusives.. if sony does something right i dont try to find something bad to say about it.. i praise them for making gaming better as a whole.. i swear some of you were dropped on your head as babies.

#50 8 months ago
  51. Lengendaryboss

And what are the complaints doing?

Making a better product for the consumer and shows MS are listening: no business should wall off their customers for obvious reasons.

If it was as clear as day MS wouldn’t be backtracking: just because its clear to a very small minority of people who picked through details its not clear in the grand scheme of things.

#51 8 months ago
  52. fearmonkey

now if they would just sell me an xbone without the Kinect, id be happy. I think its a smarter move to buy the PS4 first if they both interest you and wait for a price drop or bundle on Xbone, but if they drop the Kinect, id be a lot more likely to get one.

#52 8 months ago
  53. MCTJim

@51 No they stripped down a truly innovative vision and machine..that is what they have done…it was clear as day, see my last comment..that is my point..people didnt bother to read and listen..they stopped and jumped on the bandwagon.

Btw this article is clarification of a previous article which outlined it didnt have to be on or connected..but I guess I read and listened so I already knew it.

#53 8 months ago
  54. Alernet

Who in their right mind would still buy an Xbox One?

#54 8 months ago
  55. Mike W

So going by your logic, if someone I have a disagreement on MS’s backtracking they’re either “retarsed” or “sonydickriding”? Lol

And do you really believe MS changed their policies because the consumers were bitching on the Internet about it?

#55 8 months ago
  56. Lengendaryboss

No read my comment small minority of people thought that, listening to customers which will help them in the long term and the stop reading/listening and jumping on the bandwagon is a poorly formed assumption. If it was clear as day MS wouldn’t be backtracking just because its clear to you doesn’t mean it was clear in the grand scheme of things.

#56 8 months ago
  57. MCTJim

@56 then explain why this is now news if people read everything. It was said over a month and a half ago…

#57 8 months ago
  58. Christopher Jack

I don’t see how anyone could think the original plan was innovative. Some people really need to grab a dictionary out & look up the word innovative.

I mean a new Kinect, sure it’s supposedly much better, but not innovative. Sure Kinect 2.0 could be used for many new innovations, but for gaming I’m doubtful many of them would be genuinely enjoyed by the core audience.

DRM, what was worth defending about this? Seriously? It’s 100% not innovative. Draconian if anything.

Required internet connection? Can’t see how anyone could defend this. Sure it’s becoming rarer & rarer in the developed world to not be connected but that’s still no excuse in my opinion.

TV viewing? I mean with this push for on demand do we really need an Xbox One to watch & record TV when there’s already millions of devices that do this- surely pressing input isn’t that hard? I mean the PS3 even had an add on that did this but it didn’t require an input from a cable box. Also to note only a minority of Australians have cable boxes. With fibre being built around the country, & hopefully with it coming straight to the premises, normal TV watching habits will change for ever.

The controller may well be an improvement, but it’s still using AA batteries & doesn’t even come with a way to plug & play out the box! At the very least they reduced that battery pack to sit inside the controller, was my biggest gripe with the wireless X360 controller.

Digital game sharing is the one & only innovation in my opinion, but I don’t think it’s as great as many believed- I believe accounts on the shared console had to part of the elected family to use these games.

#58 8 months ago
  59. MCTJim

@58 that’s what innovative people see..innovation.

#59 8 months ago
  60. Phoenixblight

It was innovative. They made a console that turned to a brick when not connected for more than 24 hours, or had you phone home every hour. You would be paying for a device that was telling you how to use your system.

#60 8 months ago
  61. MCTJim

@60 I am not gonna be pulled into another argument about the DRM etc. If people read the entire plan they would have understood, they didnt and hence the stripped down version of a once innovative machine.

Hence the spycam bologna with Kinect when it never was and could always be turned off in the settings..but people still complained it “spied” on you.

#61 8 months ago
  62. Phoenixblight

Or the fact that MS didn’t sell it properly saw the numbers they weren’t pulling with preorders and that is when they started going backwards.

#62 8 months ago
  63. MCTJim

@62 i agree on how they spoke during the E3 show, but later on, in paper and in future q n a’s they sure did make it clear…. and people still complained.

#63 8 months ago
  64. Lengendaryboss

Clarification and irrelevant:

People did not want DRM, the 24hr checks and Kinect mandatory: now they have been listened to.

If the above were good for gamers MS wouldn’t have backtracked.

#64 8 months ago
  65. Christopher Jack

@61, I never had a major problem with Kinect about spying. Nor was I the least surprised about the PRISM scandal, it’s expected in this world filled with fear of terrorism. My problem with Kinect is that I genuinely don’t enjoy & would have been forced to pay a premium for it with an Xbox One. Having it plugged in was annoying but it was the forced bundle I disliked. I’m sure a lot of people can enjoy kinect games but it’s just not what I’m after.

Some of the simplest things I would have liked from Kinect were never implemented like scanning your face onto a playable character. I could do that with an eyetoy on the PS2 in quite a few games but I haven’t heard of one PS3/X360 game that does it, not that I’ve looked but I really shouldn’t have to.

TL;DR: Kinect maybe great, but I don’t want one until I can personally see the value in it for myself.

#65 8 months ago
  66. MCTJim

@64 and people are still complaining….so you are saying they clarified what was clarified 1.5 months back..I already said that. Just take the time to read and not jump on the bandwagon….again it WAS an innovative machine, now, sadly its a PS4.

Hopefully the exclusives on each will take away the pain.

#66 8 months ago
  67. Phoenixblight

MS had shit in the soap dish no matter how much they attempted to clarify they fucked up and now paying for it. First impressions matter the most. MS fudged that up and now people will always go after that. But the 24 hours checks, mandatory kinect, every hour to phone home those were horrendous ideas. They could have easily gone another direction.

#67 8 months ago
  68. OlderGamer

Hmm maybe we will have a next gen race after all.

Good show. Now when they come out with the 400usd, kincetless system…I might buy one. I am impressed.

#68 8 months ago
  69. MCTJim

@67 how are they paying for it?..they are neck in neck with sales according to this site..again truly innovative machine now stripped down to a PS4..shame really, now I have two identical machines pre-ordered. At least they are keeping Kinect Mandatory in the box and I hope they never remove it.

#69 8 months ago
  70. Lengendaryboss

Still complaining equal better feedback, better future, better product.

No clarification was not the point thats why i said irrelevant. If it was good MS wouldn’t be backtracking.

Again poorly formed assumption.

The Xbox One and PS4 are difficult beasts if all your so called “innovations” were truly the difference between them thats a norrow-minded way of thinking.

#70 8 months ago
  71. Phoenixblight

THey are not neck and neck Gamestop and stores have a much smaller allotment for the Xbox One compared to the PS4. The gamestops out here in Austin have 20-30 cap where the PS4 is over 100.

#71 8 months ago
  72. BrahManDude

yes i am now getting ONE next year

#72 8 months ago
  73. Christopher Jack

Still $100 more for a lesser machine, Kinect is irrelevant to me & I’d imagine a lot of others too. It’d be all down to software for me, maybe services too but Aussies have always gotten the short end so I’m expecting to be disappointed by that regardless. And if Microsoft’s diminishing support for the X360 is any sign, I’d be safer in the long run with Sony. Sure MS has scored a handful of decent 3rd party exclusives but now with such similar hardware, I just don’t think 3rd party exclusives will be around much longer.

#73 8 months ago
  74. M. K.

Now give me some good games and I’m in! Until then I have my backlog and my 360! Still good to know that I don’t need to worry about my next console anymore.

#74 8 months ago
  75. Kreion

Do you fucking people not read the interview at all?

“We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. ” That justification alone should shut you up about bleating for a non Kinect-inclusive system. If Kinect is not forced as part of the system, then there’s no way that it’ll be used by any core game company. If it is, then the features which can actually add to core games can be cherry-picked and built-upon.

You want an example? Look at android. It’s got the largest market share on the mobile market yet developers often develop for IOS not android. Part of the reasoning for that is because a developer has little to no idea of what hardware is running that android version, whereas you have a far smaller margin of error when it comes to IOS which has a (for the most part) non-fragmented userbase.

#75 8 months ago
  76. Phoenixblight

THe only game I have seen utilize Kinect is Dead Rising all the other games are just for voice commands for menu navigation hardly worth having a kinect.

#76 8 months ago
  77. OmegaSlayer

Bah.
    I can’t trust people who can’t make up their minds.
    I prefer a son of a bitch that keeps his word that a good willed guy that can’t stand up for what he says.

I can’ trust that they won’t backtrack on what they changed.
    The other day something discomforting happened.
    I checked the updates on my iDevice and I was prompted to accept the new terms of service or I couldn’t update the stuff I bought or download it again.
    That’s a big problem.
    I purchased stuff and couldn’t access it if I refused to accept a new term of service changed only from one side of the contractors.
    Did I read the contract? NO. Because it was USELESS.
    The contract could have stated that Apple could have used my ass as they pleased every first Friday of the month, but if I wanted to keep the stuff I spent my money on, I had to gobble the new contract.
    I could even have refused since I spent no more than 15 € on AppStore, but that’s ok.

Now, changes of contract has been imposed by Sony too, many times in fact, but since I don’t buy digital except some DLCs, and I would never buy full games, I gobbled it.

Though I couldn’t trust Microsoft that after a year or 2 could pull a 180 again and force all the previous stuff they announced.

This is quite a pretty serious argument that people so easily overlook.

Are you safer with Sony?
    Who could say? Still their stance has been pretty clear so far, so they got more of my trust, but not complete trust.

I see kids not taking all his legal stuff into consideration, but I hope that mature gamers will put some brain in their wallet decisions.

#77 8 months ago
  78. Christopher Jack

@75, Ofc we did, the issue is that a lot of us don’t give a fuck about Kinect at all. We have little faith that it’ll ever appeal to us & many of us don’t want to pay that $100 premium over Sony’s superior device just for a silly camera. Now when I say superior I’m talking purely hardware- it’s a fact that Sony has the better hardware & with both using the same architecture, I doubt ANY game would end up looking better on the XBOne.

If Microsoft could prove that $100 premium for the camera was worth it, I’m sure a lot of us will reconsider, ’til then, we’re just simply not interested. If Microsoft can’t ever prove that, it’ll fall down almost exclusively to software & services & as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not fussed about the services so only software could provoke me into buying either console & again, given Microsoft’s recent years with the X360, Sony seems like the far safer choice for long term support, unless of course you’re a die hard Halo fan.

#78 8 months ago
  79. polygem

I loved the 360 (before the ads)
    I saw the one reveal. and the embarassing tour de denial after that.
    It opened my eyes.
    ms arent good for the industry. In fact they stand for everything so many people, me included, complain about.
    They just should not get any support atm. Dropping kinect surely isnt enough.
    No wonder they tried that shit as aggressive as they did. They know their audience. Just throw them a bone after you’ve beaten them up and they will come back to you again.

i dont like sony hardware nor do i want to game on a pc. What now…
    fuck ms

#79 8 months ago
  80. Christopher Jack

@79, What’s wrong with the PS4′s hardware? Sure looks are subjective but it’s much more practical; significantly smaller & no external power block, not to mention more powerful.

#80 8 months ago
  81. OmegaSlayer

@80 I don’t think Polygem means the look of the box LOL.

@79 Glad it opened your eyes.
    I have been addressing MS policies wrong, not only for gaming.
    People is short minded, I still remember Windows 95 worldwide lunch and crash live.
    Microsoft has been known for delivering half assed products.
    People forgets the bribes to the US Senators to keep Windows OS on Country PCs when it was intended to go Linux.
    Vista, new OSs made on the core of old OS with the same errors, loopholes, security breaches, etc…
    RROD, Prism, lies…

Doesn’t matter if you pick up a WiiU, PS4, gaming PC or NOTHING, but deciding to not pick up what you don’t like is a mature choice and useful for every consumer.
    Respect.
    We must learn to say no.
    Gaming is a fun hobby and a leisure, not a milking farm.

#81 8 months ago
  82. Joe Musashi

@61 I’m sure what you say is true. And perhaps you, unlike many, had a more comprehensive understanding of the full picture whilst others focused only on the ‘one tree’ that they couldn’t see around.

Really, that’s neither here nor there. One of the manufacturer’s jobs is to communicate the best message possible. To sell the dream and to excite people about the possibilities.

I don’t think it can be argued that, with Xbox One, Microsoft failed to communicate that type of message and have paid / are paying a high price. You’re always going to get a percentage that are more receptive to a product than others.

Regardless of your personal view, it’s apparent a majority of vocal gamers feel underwhelmed by what Microsoft are presenting. That may change. It will change faster when Microsoft communicate the positives of their product in a way that is more meaningful to the critical audience. They’ve done it before, I’m sure they’ll do it again.

JM

#82 8 months ago
  83. mistermogul

I was going PS4 next gen anyway but the shit MS were trying to pull really reinforced my decision.

I won’t get an Xbone just on the strength of the shit they tried to force on to us.

It’s good that they are doing u-turns left, right and center but the damage has been done as far as I’m concerned.

#83 8 months ago
  84. Legion

This is not a change. It has always allowed you the option to turn it off. They are only clarifying due to the fanboys and conspiracy theorists that try to paint a negative picture at every aspect of what they have to offer.

And no this does not indicate a Kinect less skew coming down.

#84 8 months ago
  85. Christopher Jack

@84, It IS a change, it used to be required to be plugged in although it COULD be turned off.

#85 8 months ago
  86. polygem

@cj
    i have a ps3 and vita. a ps4 is on preorder. It’s just that i dont enjoy using the sony systems as much as i like the ninendo and ms hardware. Don’t know what it is really but has been like that since psx.
    Solid systems but i just cant fall in love with tem. That history kills a lot of my excitement for the ps4. Ps4 looks good though. Maybe thinfs change this time.

#86 8 months ago
  87. super3001

its good there wont be kinectless system. devs do not utilise optional peripherals to full use.

dont want kinect? shut the fuck up and buy last gen half assed sony garbage called ps3.5 with no innovation and laggy 30fps games.

xone is next gen that means change and improvement. sony sell same shit as last gen in new ugly box.

ms should not cater to idiots who want to hold industry back.

such stupid people.

#87 8 months ago
  88. Petulant Radish

What a lot of noise. I’m going to wait until I see the games properly before I make any decisions, before then everything else is meaningless.

#88 8 months ago
  89. Christopher Jack

@87, Please, go on. Detail exactly what makes Xbox One next gen & not the PS4.

#89 8 months ago
  90. noamlol2

“Asked whether there are plans to sell a Kinect-free Xbox One bundle, which would presumably enable a lower price, the representative said Kinect “is still an essential and integrated part of the Xbox One platform””

so if i can unplug it how is it importent?
    microscam hides behind lies and tricks

they won’t recive a cent from me

#90 8 months ago
  91. JavelinX

YES!!!!!!!!!! I jump in!

#91 8 months ago
  92. OmegaSlayer

In the world there are prey and predators.
    The number of preys outnumbers by far the predators, still their dumbness makes them lose.
    It’s funny to see how people easily eats baits.
    Even more funny when they eat baits and are happy.

#92 8 months ago
  93. DrDamn

If this means an X1 package gets announced without the Kinect I’m less likely to buy one. The system is designed around kinect, from OS to UI to custom chips and key hardware decisions.

A key factor to any peripheral of this type is including it in the box so everyone has one. That’s what gets it supported. So if it isn’t included in the box and you get an X1 then you are left with paying for Kinect and it not getting the support it deserves or not paying for it and getting a machine which is not what it could be.

#93 8 months ago
  94. super3001

ps3.5 was design to have camera but cut at last second to beat xone price.

all ps3.5 controller have shitty ugly light bar that cannot be switch off. just for camera

all ps3.5 have vita decoder in hardware but not mandatory vita

#94 8 months ago
  95. DrDamn

Not cut at last second and not integral to the system
    Light bar is player indicator too
    Chip used for Vita would also be used for streaming etc too

So wrong, wrong and wrong. Nil points. Thanks for playing.

#95 8 months ago
  96. Joe Musashi

@95 I think you may be referring to the PS4. #94 was clearly referring to PS3.5. So…..

JM

#96 8 months ago
  97. super3001

you are wrong on 3 point

camera was cut only to beat ms on price. fact

light bar show player number? lol you know why it there dont lye

vita remote play mandated on all ganes so expected constant use. so what does decoder chip do if vita using it for comm?

#97 8 months ago
  98. G1GAHURTZ

Who would want to turn Kinect off, man, it’s got voice control, innit?

Trololololol…

#98 8 months ago
  99. DrDamn

You clearly don’t understand your own points.

Camera may well not of been included to beat MS on price, but it was not the last second as you suggested.

Does the light bar indicate player or not? Yes. So it’s therefore not *just* for camera as you suggested.

I’m not sure you understand your point on that last one. The chip is used to create a video stream from the PS4 output – the X1 has a similar chip. That can be for one or more reasons – Vita, for streaming your play to someone else or for recording functionality.

#99 8 months ago
  100. bradk825

Shit it’s getting heated in here. I have to do something. What’s one thing we can all agree on? I got it!

Hey guys, don’t you hate pooping in public washrooms? You have to wipe the seat and cover it in toilet paper just to feel safe, when you know all along it’s merely an emotional barrier and not actually protecting you. Then the unthinkable happens, and you accidentally touch the end of your dick on the toilet seat. You want to wash all the way up your urethra when that happens. Fuck the pain, you gotta clean up there.

On-topic, you gotta love how MS can announce something that people have been asking for and they still get a forum full of bitching over it.

It’s like “Timmy, you’ve finally been adopted, you’re going to spend Christmas in a real home” and Timmy says “But they are fucking short, you couldn’t have gotten me taller parents?”

#100 8 months ago
  101. super3001

I understand. you are sdf so cannot understand

you say xone is designed around kinect but it works without one. apart from motion an voice control you miss nothing. all ui works from controller

same for ps3.5 designed with hardware for vita and cameras. so what if some stupid shitty player indicator light nobody wants and looks fucking stupid. light was put there FOR CAMERA.

decoder chip designed FOR VITA REMOTE PLAY

camera was cut TO UNDERCUT MS and was late decision. fact.

#101 8 months ago
  102. Eregol

I’d suggest Kinect’s biggest problem is MS itself.
    More than capable of bigging it up, but for Kinect 1 they never created a killer app for it. Despite how much they want it to be successful they themselves never gave a credible reason for its existence.
    And now, for the XB1 launch with Kinect 2.0 they themselves do not have any software to support it, and even when they do, they still wont have created the ‘killer app’ for it.

Why should they expect anyone else to create their killer app when they’re not willing to do it themselves?

#102 8 months ago
  103. MrWaffles

Here’s the future, don’t be mad that you didn’t think of this before me.

There will be a few cash-back incentives for those trading-in their Kinects at point-of-sale. Best Buy will pay up to $60 for all those unwanted kinects, and sell them refurbished, online, for $80 (less than the official replacements).

Oh, did I mention the Kinect won’t be under the same warranty as the main console? My bad, you might want to read the fine print there.

YOU’RE WELCOME.

-Waffles

#103 8 months ago
  104. DrDamn

“you say xone is designed around kinect but it works without one.”

Just because it can work without Kinect it doesn’t mean the system isn’t designed around it, heavily. They have invested a lot in it.

Light on the controller is designed to work with the camera but has other uses. It’s multi-purpose.

Decoder chip we’ve already covered. Lots and lots of uses. Including several key features for the console which don’t involve Vita.

“camera was cut TO UNDERCUT MS and was late decision. fact.”

Define late. You said seconds, obvious exaggeration. When do you think the decision was made? After MS conference but before the Sony one? Fact me!

#104 8 months ago
  105. Joe Musashi

@105 u r obvious SDF & u say u want XBox One. lol!1 That is not FACT. FACT is what super30001 sez. He has no bias. u r to blinkered. FACT. Give up. MS win ftw. FACTUALITY.

JM

#105 8 months ago
  106. Eregol

So, facts are now suppositions made through baseless speculation.
    Must update the wiki page.
    Brb

#106 8 months ago
  107. super3001

DrSDF you can not see own hypocrite.

xone is gimped without kinect but ps3.5 is not without camera+vita ? hypocrite. ps3.5 has more hardware in console for optional peripherals so is more gimped.

dont be pedantic on words. that shit is for when you have no proper argument

#107 8 months ago
  108. Djoenz

wtf is a sdf? You sure spit intelligent arguments super3001.

#108 8 months ago
  109. bradk825

Guys, responding to either ps3fanboy or super3001 is like feeding the animals at the zoo. You really want to do it, but you really aren’t supposed to.

#109 8 months ago
  110. Eregol

Lack of OPTIONAL peripherals is not gimping. You purchase the options you want without them being forced on you.

I think a PS4+Vita SKU for the same price as XB1 with Kinect would be more successful due to the living room war ending remote play functionality.
    But, it is an OPTION. Not something Sony are MAKING everyone have.

Actually, I have a feeling you’re not entirely serious and that super3001 is some sort of fanboy parody account and he’s actualy anti MS.

#110 8 months ago
  111. DrDamn

Kinect is much, much more integral to the experience and design of X1 than the camera and Vita are to PS4. If you are going to have a camera then that’s how you should do it. I’m saying the current approach is right FFS. If they take it out the bundle then it’s a mistake.

So still not defining late though? I thought it was fact?

#111 8 months ago
  112. DrDamn

I think MS have put a lot of effort into Kinect being a full part of the system and that extends to hardware, OS, UI etc. It *needs* to be included in the package to validate it. A tonne of design decisions in the X1 were based on Kinect being an essential part of the package.

The PS4 camera is very much an optional accessory. I think the PS4 camera suffers as a peripheral because of that. I don’t think the PS4 does though.

#112 8 months ago
  113. Eregol

@113 As per my post at 103 while MS are making this push as it being a part of the OS they really need to justify it with actual software really.
    As it’s their baby it should be up to them to make the killer app that justifies it. Something they failed to do with kinect 1, and at the start of Kinect 2.0 will not be doing.

#113 8 months ago
  114. super3001

112

you are making shit up. tell me exactly what else you can do with kinect that you can not do just as easy with controller

kinect does

motion control
    voice control
    auto sign in
    splitscreen seat swapping

apart from last one is same as 360 kinect and all optional so how is machine designed around it if you dont need it.

late is june pedantic

#114 8 months ago
  115. JonFE

I, for one, am glad that the XBO can operate without a Kinect connected. I have not written off the console as a potential purchase, but I also haven’t seen anything so far that justifies having the Kinect taking up precious space, so this setup works better for me. However, I am curious to see if having the Kinect bundled will lead developers to take the time to support it in innovating ways, other than voice commands.

As for the PS Eye, PS4 February reveal indicated that it would also be included. Apparently Sony decided otherwise, taking away some of the controller functionality with it. It’s their choice, who am I to argue?

#115 8 months ago
  116. DrDamn

I agree there – though there is an argument that it’s not a killer app but a big factor in the experience. XboxLive isn’t a killer app but is a big factor in the experience for example.

There is some Kinect stuff out there, but MS have been avoiding it somewhat for what ever reason.

#116 8 months ago
  117. DrDamn

Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. Agree or disagree?

I thought it was fact, June is very vague. Did they decide between conferences on June 10th? It’s important because a purely reactionary decision like that is bad, a week or more before is product planning and a thought out decision.

#117 8 months ago
  118. Ireland Michael

@118 There were a lot or “facts” that Microsoft presented which turned out to be outright bullshit.

Which is where I think a lot of the current animosity towards the company is coming from right now. Somewhat understandable, but its pretty clear that someone in the company is trying to fix Mattrick’s royal cockups.

#118 8 months ago
  119. bradk825

They are not willing to fragment the user based so those “killer apps” will be worth building.

They already have Kinect based games in development that make use of the improved functionality, they have a sign language app, they are adding not only voice, but motion control to control pad based games. These things would not have been invested in if the sensor were optional IMO.

I think in the short term PS4 won the pricing war by excluding the camera and they’ll sell more boxes than they would have if they included it. That was their strategy (I don’t believe the “it was about giving gamers choice” party line. BS. Especially since one of them admitted before they took their official stance they intentionally did it to undercut the XB1) and they have a right to their own strategy.

But in the long term I feel that fragmenting the user base means developers will not decide to invest a lot of money in making apps and features for the eye. Those who are doing multi-console games might throw them a bone since they are going to be adding features to the XB1 version, but exclusives will likely lack any meaningful investment, and the eye will be about as gimmicky as Kinect 1.

Meanwhile if I am making an Xbox exclusive and I am debating a business decision on whether to invest serious money in features for motion, voice and facial expression, I know that every single XB1 owner is my target audience, not 40% of the owners.

So they have two very different strategy, both with pros and cons, and time will tell who made the best choice. Personally I feel they both have a right to choose the strategy they feel is best and by choosing two different ones, gamers have a choice.

#119 8 months ago
  120. Eregol

@117 The interface can be browsed with a pad as well as the Kinect, meaning it’s not quite THAT integral, so, the device needs to have something of it’s own to give it purpose. At the moment it doesn’t have that, and that item does not exist on the horizon.

#120 8 months ago
  121. DrDamn

The “Fact” I’m referring to is that Sony made the decision to remove the camera at the last “second”. He’s not managed to back this up or narrow down when this was made to justify it being at the last second.

#121 8 months ago
  122. Eregol

@120 I don’t think anyone at Sony has confirmed that the camera was (a) removed or (b) the reason why the price is £349.
    Actually, iirc the official stance from Sony is that $399 was always their target price.

#122 8 months ago
  123. DrDamn

Yes you can use the controller, but if enough people prefer to use Kinect then does that not give it purpose?

Can I just point out that my obviously futile replies to super3001 have actually encouraged some decent discussion. :)

#123 8 months ago
  124. JonFE

@bradk825

Well said! +1

@Eregol

Why would you expect anyone at Sony confirm such a thing? Sony’s enjoying the ride of good popularity at the moment, playing it safe. Why ruin it?

#124 8 months ago
  125. super3001

118

dont give me that vague shit “was designed to blah blah” just answer the question what cant be easily done on controller that kinect is needed.

june is late for a decision like not bundling what was a pack-in peripheral. stop squirming with that pedantic shit. want give me spelling check next? gtfo

#125 8 months ago
  126. G1GAHURTZ

“I want an X1, I just don’t want a gimped one based on MS not sticking to their vision. I’d be happy if they just included the camera as is and stuck with it – it needs to be included to be supported. This is a big advantage the X1 Kinect has over the PS4 camera.”

#126 8 months ago
  127. DrDamn

The very fact that you are asking that question indicates you don’t understand the point. That’s why I haven’t answered it. Just because there are other ways to do things it doesn’t mean the system hasn’t been designed around it. Windows is designed around a mouse but you can do most things with a keyboard.

So, Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. Agree or disagree?

You said last second – were you wrong?

#127 8 months ago
  128. Eregol

@125 Well, until they confirm it how can anyone say it is fact? They can’t.
    Same as the ‘Family library’ everyone purports MS to have had in the works before they scrapped it in their original U-turn.

#128 8 months ago
  129. DrDamn

MS did document the Family sharing feature on a webpage – not sure if it’s still available. The devil may have been in the detail, but the info was there. My only question with it was if that was what it was why weren’t they shouting it from the roof tops, why wasn’t it given it’s own section in the press conference – seemed to me like it was a massive feature which helped justify what they were trying to do. It was awesome as described. It’s removal post u-turn for digital purchases was a big misstep.

#129 8 months ago
  130. super3001

128

the point is you are stalling with no answer. ui it as usable with controller as kinect. nothing like windows without mouse.

xone is designed tto work with or without kinect or ms would not have sayed you can unplug it.

spelling check pedant want to analyses last second. google look up common phrases and spell check that shit

they change mind in month of announcement. last second/minute/hour/day/week who gives afuck It was late decision

#130 8 months ago
  131. Eregol

@130 They never actually fleshed out what it entailed. They touched on a shred family library but never disclosed what form it would take, how many people could share it, and what relation to you those people had to be.
    The fact they removed it completely when they had no reason to (Could quite easily have been used for digital purchases for instance) makes me believe that the reality wasn’t as good as the loyalists wanted everyone to believe.

#131 8 months ago
  132. Eregol

@super3001 You dropped your tin foil hat.

#132 8 months ago
  133. Djoenz

Thing is which company out of the three do you trust more or the most?
    You guys talk about trivial shit.

You guys have to feel Microsoft f*cking you in tha ass before you learn I guess.. . Sony is no different with misleading but at least not on the same scale.

#133 8 months ago
  134. super3001

133

wtf you talking about idiot. tinfoil hat = conspiracy theory. I sayed nothing about conspiracy. gtfo

#134 8 months ago
  135. DrDamn

But it doesn’t matter if it’s usable or not – why does that matter? All that means is that users have a choice. The fact is that Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in.

“they change mind in month of announcement.”

Proof? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574241 shows promo material already showing the camera was not included on 2nd June. Decision on inclusion was made before June.

#135 8 months ago
  136. JonFE

@ Eregol:

The family sharing was the sweetener for the DRM/used-games restrictions; without having those anymore, why should MS keep the sweetener?

As for the PS Eye, it’s anyone’s guess why Sony are not bundling it with the console. However, it was a reasonable assumption it would be bundled back in February and it is a fact that by not including it, they are leaving some of the planned controller functionality (Move) out of the box.

#136 8 months ago
  137. Eregol

@135 Looks like you forgot your meds too.
    Put this jacket on. No, ignore the fact that the sleeves are tied behind the back. Yes that is a van with padded walls, why do you ask?

#137 8 months ago
  138. DrDamn

“They touched on a shred family library but never disclosed what form it would take, how many people could share it, and what relation to you those people had to be.”

Yes they did. How many people – up to 10, though only one plus you at a time. No need to be related (confirmed in interviews and tweets).

“Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.”

#138 8 months ago
  139. super3001

134

sony are way worse. psn hack remove other os bullshot an cgi for launch. enemy crab realtime weapon change bullshit.

now they launch a console with no innovation and pretend it next gen.

fuck sony. nobody should trust them. at least ms are trying to add and improve consoles not just sit on asses with box of off the shelf parts.

#139 8 months ago
  140. Eregol

@140 Thanks for that. Always good to educate.
    I still remain skeptical though that it would work like that. I cannot see how they think that sharing with 10 people is better than being able to resell your games.

#140 8 months ago
  141. DrDamn

I’m not sure it’s directly comparable, it was in addition to being able to resell retail discs – with limitations. It would be a nice way to encourage people not to resell or go digital.

See box out for clarification on what “family” meant – i.e. doesn’t mean you need to be releated. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

#141 8 months ago
  142. Eregol

@143 There’s that digital thing again.
    If it’s to be used as an incentive to go digital then why do away with it altogether? Why not keep it and still allow the shared digital library as a carrot for purchasing digital. There was no need to toss it aside.

#142 8 months ago
  143. bradk825

You know why else this is good?

Suppose you have an XB1 and a guy breaks into your house. You find the closest robber-beating aparatus and it’s the Kinect sensor. You strike his head 16 times, then shove it in his ass. He gets away. Now you need a new Kinect, but you can’t afford one right away.

You can still play games until you get a replacement.

Tip for the cops: Check the local ER for anal object retrieval operations and you should find the bad guy.

#143 8 months ago
  144. Lewis247

All they need to do is announce Crackdown 3 and they have my money.

#144 8 months ago
  145. ps3fanboy

is it slow news today so you guys at vg247 have to bump yesterdays news, LOL!!!….

#145 8 months ago
  146. Dave Cook

@147 I think it’s pretty clear it’s a big news day.

Rather than coerce you into giving us new clicks on a new story that only has like four lines in it like a bunch of cheap bastards, I’ve added it to a story with more substance and to give the update more context.

I thought you’d be happy though. You hate Xbox One.

#146 8 months ago
  147. OlderGamer

They had no plans for a few other changes too. Time will tell.

#147 8 months ago
  148. Kreion

It’s been obvious why the PS Eye is not being bundles with the PS4. To cut down the price. Plus it’s pretty shoddy tech when compared to the Kinect, so Sony aren’t going to push it.

But good job MS. I was very worried that they would destroy any semblance of unity in their userbase so thank you for not doing that.

#148 8 months ago
  149. grizzlycake

Next week…

Kinectless console announced!

#149 8 months ago
  150. Professor Zoom

”Motion control” is pretty overrated…

#150 8 months ago
  151. sebastien rivas

Might be a marketing solution.

By this I mean we know MS wants to make profit on the Xbox 1.
    Getting the kinect out of the box may state in gamers mind (at least me) that well, the Xbox 1 may as well be @ 399 to compete with Sony which may not be in MS game plan as far as I understand why there is no kinect-less Xbox 1 release.

In which case, I still want an Xbox 1 but throwing the financial gap between Sony and MS is still too wide to my taste.

Maybe @151 is right… who knows.

MS surely knows how to keep its gamer ring emotionally interested in their next gen, don’t they?
    will they or will they not? if they will, they will, if they will not, they will not. They will or they will not?

Although Microsoft had mentioned the ability to turn off the camera before, many commenters are hailing the unplugging part as yet another policy reversal in response to consumer backlash. Yes indeed Brenna, yet and again, MS is doing what they can to repsond to criticisms and negative value toward a product that does not yet exits.
    So really, while I have seen this comment across, it is purely a negative comment toward MS itself and not the product as much as they want MS to fail. This kind of comment alone has no backbone whatsoever.

#151 8 months ago
  152. xxJPRACERxx

Glad Kinect is staying. Not a fan of it but it got lot of potential.

#152 8 months ago
  153. MCTJim

Kinect is here to stay :D Now the price match is coming with Kinect :D

#153 8 months ago
  154. dkpunk

They better not get rid of Kinect as a bundle. It will definitely spur development if every xbox1 has it included.

#154 8 months ago
  155. noamlol2

so i’m 100 per-cent buying a PS4 instead

good job microsoft, killing my intrest in the X1 is probably the best thing you did

#155 8 months ago
  156. fearmonkey

Thats ok Major nelson, I have no plans to buy an Xbone anytime soon.

#156 8 months ago
  157. lookingglass

Awesome. Microsoft had to stick to their guns. It’s the only thing that’s next-gen about these new consoles.

Next-gen gaming is all about new ways to play. Voice control, motion control, and VR are the big three that can fundamentally change the way we play. At least Xbox offers two of those.

Nintendo had a lot of gamer backlash with the Wii and its motion controls. People said it was dumb, gimmicky, and they just wanted their normal controller. But then Super Mario Halaxy happened. Zelda: Skyword Sword happened. They showed motion controls were great when done right.

Kinect will get their. Otherwise, it’s just low to mid range PC graphics.

#157 8 months ago
  158. MrWaffles

Kinect trade-ins at point-of-sale, I’m telling ye!

Best buy and Gamestop will make so much money on unwanted kinects.

#158 8 months ago
  159. super3001

160

from who? everyone will have one so no need to buy 2nd.

it is good that it pack-in. coders can get creative an do more than shitty voice command or body qte. more leedmees less GRENADE!!!!

good that paranoid can leave tinfoil hat off for gaming by unplug ‘spycam’ lol

real next gen is more than just same shit faster box. os ui cloud features an more pack-in like wifi direct kinect hdmi in make xone true next gen.

#159 8 months ago