Xbox One delayed into 2014 – rumour

Wednesday, 14th August 2013 14:24 GMT By Staff

Xbox One has been delayed into 2014, according to a source cited on a gaming site today.

UPDATE: CVG’s Tamoor Hussain has just tweeted this out:

We suspect he’s right too.

ORIGINAL STORY: Treat this 100% as rumour for now until we get our own feedback from Microsoft on the matter, but a source has told Gamereactor that Xbox One will now ship in Q1 2014, as opposed to the previous November window suggested by Microsoft.

Whether this means Xbox One has been delayed in all territories or just select regions remains to be seen.

Hang fire on your dismay/joy just yet folks. We’re asking Microsoft for comment.

Via Johnny.

1. Lengendaryboss

Oh please.

It gives weight on a previous rumour. But i don’t see it.

But there are many reasons for this.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Joe Musashi

Regardless of the accuracy of this rumour, I’m sure Microsoft would move heaven and earth to ship for the current holiday season – even if it meant reduced volume or limited regions.

JM

#2 1 year ago
  3. Goffee

Shouldn’t be true, but if it is, I wonder if all these U-turns are taking their toll? Either that or a hardware supply issue?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Beta

Microsoft really would not want to let Sony have the holiday season all to themselves. I can’t see this happening.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DGOJG

I can’t see this happening since they themselves have stated a November launch window. Regardless if Sony released before or close after November I doubt they’d miss it.
    Side note; why on earth do you sign off every comment #2?

#5 1 year ago
  6. actuallyisnotafox

@4 precisely, youd think theyd need all the time they can get with a u turn and change here and there, but yeah if sony gets that holiday season, itll be tough :p

#6 1 year ago
  7. FuntimeBen

As much as I’m a PS4 fanboy next-gen – this can’t be true. Microsoft is already delivering retail production units to staff. Even if they have to drop ship every last console off the assembly line, they will make this holiday season.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Patrick Garratt

Fairly sure this is total bollocks, yeah.

#8 1 year ago
  9. bradk825

Probably not true, a day after MS said they would have “exciting news.”

I am guessing they are going to annouce a release date, but it’s more likely to be a date in November.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Major Mayhem 70

I actually agreed with Legendary for a change. World must be coming to an end. Lol. Just phucking with you man as always.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

I also believe it’s total bollocks.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Aullah

They will release the console this year even if the console itself has problems.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Robbins

Probs to get it up to the 12gb

#13 1 year ago
  14. Irani

This Is Lie and It Is From Sony Fans Against Microsoft’s Positive News , Shame On You Sony

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dave Cook

@14 what does this have to do with Sony. Do you think Kaz Hirai is the source?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Kreion

No they won’t, they don’t want a repeat of the red-ring debacle. I mean look at the system, they could likely make it smaller than that and move the powerbrick inside but I imagine they are a but paranoid about the heat of the thing.

But at the same time, they will definitely release in 2013. If they released in 2014 they may as well push the date back another year and release next holidays, it’d put them in a better position than releasing in Q1 next year -.-

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

@Dave
    Don’t humour/acknowledge this special war enthused MS loving troll.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

Many websites seem to call BS on this, even VG247 staff which makes me wonder why you guys didn’t follow their lead?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Dark

With so many 180′s , this could be true.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Fethennour

They just want people to talk about them. Hey, seems like it works.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Sylrissa

I’m starting with the PS4, but I still call BS on this.

No way this can be true, MS wouldn’t let Sony have the holiday season all to themselves it would be a disaster.

#21 1 year ago
  22. bradk825

MS is having to face rumours on a consistant basis, you have to wonder who keeps starting them.

Some people need to learn, “Annonymous Sources” “Sources who claim to be…” could be anyone. Anyone. You could email any news agency right now and claim to be an annonymous source “from the White House” and they will print what you say if it’s even half-ways believable. So rumours should, as noted by Dave, be treated as rumours until the horse’s mouth confirms or denies.

#22 1 year ago
  23. redwood

naaah.. can’t be true!

#23 1 year ago
  24. schnide

I think Microsoft released this false rumour themselves so they could have something new to u-turn on today.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

Yeah, I can’t see this happening. At all.

It would be commercial suicide for the format.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

I hope your joking, every U-turn MS does is for the customers (in public mind).

#26 1 year ago
  27. ysleiro

Is VG247 catering to trolls?

I mean when I read the “dismay/joy” line I had to read it twice to understand (I asked myself “Joy? why even write that VG247?”.

Who in their right mind would be happy if the console misses it’s proposed ship date?

You would have to be a COMPLETE douche and troll. I mean if you aren’t interested in buying it, or are a fan of another device that’s fine. That’s all understandable but to rejoice because others that may be interested now have to wait is TROLLISH to the 10th degree.

#27 1 year ago
  28. stretch215

It seems cvg have their shit together….

#28 1 year ago
  29. Dave Cook

@27 exactly my point. some people can be complete dicks.

#29 1 year ago
  30. skydivinggamer

Lol legend you actually MS has the consumer in mind? Lol i remember my first beer too!

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

Officially in the public mind by that i mean their public view on the U-turn, we don’t know another official reason for the U-Turns.

Personally i doubt the above is true.

#31 1 year ago
  32. MCTJim

Not even 8 am in Redmond and here go the rumors this morning :P

#32 1 year ago
  33. JonFE

Back in June MS announced that the XBO will be launched in 21 countries first and the rest of the world will follow (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-14-21-launch-countries-listed-for-xbox-one). Of course, some things have changed since then, but I wouldn’t be surprised if MS went along with the original plan and a staggered XBO release. I really doubt they’ll totally give up the ludicrous Christmas season, though…

It *would* still be a step backwards, IMHO, given the simultaneous x360 release.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Kreion

Every company has the consumer in mind…the consumer is the only reason they exist as a company. No company cares about what is GOOD for the consumer, rather they care about how much money they can get without the consumer turning on them. There is no exception to this: anything done for the ‘good’ of the consumer, is done to increase the companies image in the public-eye. So people are more likely to buy their stuff and they make money regardless.

See the point?

#34 1 year ago
  35. Fin

Shit like this shouldn’t be allowed.

Market manipulation.

#35 1 year ago
  36. ps3fanboy

… and then the house of cards starts to collapse at micro$hafts. the extra 50mhz push on the cpu was to much, so its gonna be delayed until the problem get fixed good enough for a release. now we have another rrod distastes in the making.

take my advice and forget the xbone. get the ps4 instead its the better hw, has the better games and online, also its cheaper. it is now gonna be released before the xbone too.

no point in waiting for the xbone disaster….

#36 1 year ago
  37. Dave Cook

“Market manipulation.”

I don’t think so. We expressed our doubts on it publicly. If anything we’re calling it out as bullshit.

Before I get the usual ‘why report on it at all crap I always get’, there is a point to reporting on this and casting doubt on it. Who knows how many people will have gone to GameReactor and have come away actually believing it.

That’s my take on it. If I’m wrong, please advise.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Eregol

It could be bullshit, but as anyone knows changing things with a console’s base structure isn’t as simple as pushing a button.
    Code needs to be re-written and tested to make sure it functions as intended without said item. So it is plausible that the box could be delayed. It’s just unlikely.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Fin

I don’t mind reporting on something as rumour, but this is an extreme case. Something that’s so massive should be at least confirmed by one of your own sources.

Don’t get me wrong, this site is great, and the journalism is too, but reporting on such a huge unfounded rumour hurts the credibility of games journalism.

Just my two cents like.

#39 1 year ago
  40. ps3fanboy

@39 they gotta get the hits and clicks to earn the money here at vg247… so they post this.

#40 1 year ago
  41. fearmonkey

No this couldnt possible be true.

The only way this could be true is if Sony did it first………I kid I kid…. :)

#41 1 year ago
  42. ysleiro

@ps3fanboy

These type of posts cater to you and your kind though.

Enjoy it. Gobble it all up.

#42 1 year ago
  43. sebastien rivas

Well to be honest I just thought of that yesterday which also sparked a question toward innability to purchase two consoles because I cannot afford both at once.

One deal among many other situations why MS would be better off coming in 2014 is here in my assumption. I heard here and there form various Xbox 360 owner that their xbox crashed every so often with something called RRORD or something like that.
    Now we know that MS beefed up the APU at GPU level in terms or something acceptable, I think it was a bump in the order of 30 to 50 mhz if I recall correctly which is not that huge of a deal and yet could provide better in game fluidity.
    If you turn an xbox 1 and play then fine, though turn on an Xbox 1 with STOCK cooler for over 4~6 hours every day and I am not certain the STOCK cooler will suffice the XBOX1 to stay cool.
    We know that heat is great enemy of electronic components and AMD “gaming” APUs as far as we know them in mass market for PC while they are great value APUs, they are not really known to stay cool.
    So does MS comes in 2014, I would not be surprised. I know this is NOT the only issue that may arise in or around Xbox1 that could lead to a 2014 opening doors but it definitely is something that concerns me.

anyone know how MS wants to cool their AMD APU? I never came across of this fact…

One major and other solution is the massive uproar MS is going through right now which is definitely substantiated and yet while I believe they rectified their shot in my point of view, they still suffer as a result.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Hcw87

Cooling won’t be a problem basically.

#44 1 year ago
  45. sebastien rivas

@ 44

Thanks a bunch for the link, those massive fins and large cooler were definitely reassuring

Thanks ;)

#45 1 year ago
  46. ysleiro

BREAKING NEWS:

Xbox One delayed in 8 European markets due to language, localization etc.

As consolation MS offers free game bundled in to those that pre-ordered and maintain the pre-order in the affected 8 markets.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Beta

I stand corrected. If Sony launches on time in those territories this could hurt MS a bit.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Hcw87

FUCK! Ofcourse my country is affected. So fucking glad i’m getting both consoles, but still this is pretty bad.

If PS4 is delayed aswell, i’m going to be so pissed off.

#48 1 year ago
  49. bradk825

@37 I can see both sides of the argument but I mostly agree with you. If the rumour is out there, people will believe it, so it’s better to address it openly and call a spade a spade. As long as you are careful to say it’s pure rumour and no credible source has backed it up yet, I think you’re in the clear.

There is a fine line to tread between addressing a rumour and just plain spreading it. I think this particular article does that just fine.

#49 1 year ago
  50. bradk825

Wow, looks like it was at least half true. Truthfully, I didn’t see that coming, even that far.

More thankfully though, Canada is launching on time. Bullet dodged, achievement unlocked.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Moonwalker1982

The Netherlands is affected too and that’s my country. Lots of Dutch gamers don’t even want Dutch stuff on Xbox Live, they are fine with English. This is really bad. It really sucks for the folks who wanted to get one on launch. I will be more than fine with GTA 5 for months to come and i wasn’t even able to afford one anyway.

What i don’t get though is…why not bring the X1 to Holland in English and later bring an update for Dutch language?

#51 1 year ago
  52. Beta

So yeah. Looks like Tamoor was half right about it being untrue. It is launching in the UK and US on time. Shame about the countries affected.

But hey guys, it hopefully won’t be long. And if it is, buy a PS4 ;) Sorry, I’m teasing.

#52 1 year ago