Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun gameplay videos leaked

Wednesday, 14th August 2013 14:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun was outed as part of a NeoGAF investigation back in June. Before it was cancelled it contained a multiplayer mode called War for Nosgoth, which is now the basis of ‘Nosgoth’, the next game in the series. Square-Enix has now shed light on why Dead Sun was cancelled, along with some new concept art.

UPDATE: Mama Robotnik has collated a batch of Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun gameplay videos over on NeoGAF - via CVG. Have a gander:

What do you think?

ORIGINAL STORY: You can catch-up on Dead Sun details, along with information on nine cancelled projects from within the Legacy of Kain series here.

Now, Square-Enix community manager George Kelion has posted on the same GAF thread “I thought you might want a bit more information. I can confirm that Dead Sun was a project which had been in development – but which was cancelled. I know it’s disappointing to hear about these things out of context, and whilst some of the details released are accurate – some details are not.

“You know game projects can be cancelled for a variety of different reasons and I know it’s very hard to tell from images and info alone, but in the end LoK: Dead Sun just wasn’t the right game, at the right time… but you’ll have to take me at my word on that, I’m afraid.

“Obviously, it’s not usual for assets from cancelled games to be released, but given that there’s a lot out there already I thought you might appreciate seeing a few more images that were taken from the previously in-progress game.

“As you’ll be aware, we’re currently working on a multiplayer game firmly set within the Legacy of Kain universe called Nosgoth, which we’re very proud of. It’s grown in size and scope since its initial conception and we’ll be talking more about it in the future. While we’re not working on a single-player Legacy of Kain game right now, that doesn’t mean it’s not something we’d look at making in the future.”

Kelion then posted a gallery of images from Dead Sun, which we have below, starting with protagonist Gein.

What do you make of the game’s cancellation? Let us know below.

1. Ali

Great that’s how u prevent Climax from using some of those assets on their own projects.

Game looks more interesting than thier new Final Fantasy IMO !

#1 1 year ago
  2. dizzygear

It might look interesting but it could have played like crap. We will never know…
    I still think its cool Squeenix actually commented in that thread.

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

That is some double dickiness. First, cancel a promising LOK game and then do this so the devs can’t use it. Well done SE.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DreamCleaver

Pfft! I don’t want a multiplayer game! Color me disappointed.

#4 1 year ago
  5. orakaa

Damn, those visuals looked sweet. I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in multiplayer, but I would definitely have bought a new single player game on LoK. Damn, I want to play Blood Omen again.

More generally, I have the feeling that all companies are trying to go after the trend launched by Call of Duty games: CoD is making a LOT of money, and is extremely popular for its multiplayer.
    Is it the same kind of trend as the one launched by World of Warcraft for MMORPGs, where almost all big companies poured insane amounts of money to create MMOs, only to realize that they couldn’t reach WoW’s success and that MANY companies lost a consistent amount of money?

The thing is, I’m wondering if, CoD aside, the multiplayer aspect of games is really giving developer money? Sure it can delay the time where people trade their games, thus lowering impact of used games sales, etc. but apart from that?

Will there be a moment where developer will realize that single player games are ALSO wanted and should (have) not be(en) abandoned? Legacy of Kain is a primary example of that: it was NEVER a multiplayer game to begin with. Never.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Chaos Spectre

“but in the end LoK: Dead Sun just wasn’t the right game, at the right time”

Wow, great reasoning, so glad they cancelled this game.

I seriously have no respect for Square Enix right now. LOK was a series that inspired me to write, and now I’m watching it get torn to shreds. Its like giving the movies rights for Lord of the Rings to Uwe Boll.

I’ve been wanting a new LOK for this past decade, and have been keeping my eye out forever for one. I got the DLC for Guardian of Light just so I could play Kain and Raziel again, and I bought the LOK pack as soon as it hit steam (didn’t know about gog for a while, otherwise I would have struck there first).

This is just crap now. If the multiplayer is anything like those leaked sources said, then we are getting a LOK that players like Monday Night Combat, and my only thought is fucking why? MNC hasn’t even done that well itself, and MOBAs are not raking in a crap ton a money unless they are DOTA 2 or LoL, so why shoot yourself in the foot?

Does SE hate LOK or something?

Either way, Nosgoth has now fallen, and we might as well pay our respects for what was. You won’t ever be forgiven for this Square Enix.

#6 1 year ago
  7. dizzygear

“Its like giving the movies rights for Lord of the Rings to Uwe Boll.”

Funny you’d say that. Eidos gave the movie rights for Fear Effect to Uwe Boll right after canning Fear Effect 3.

#7 1 year ago
  8. redwood

that’s the most bad-ass vampire I have EVER EVER seen. why did they cancel this .. and now a multiplayer game? :( I hope it’s not a moba :( or an equally worthless.. MMORPG. “buy 2 barells of blood with 2 dollars, will last for 30 days or 60 drinks, which ever comes first “

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

I guess I must be the only person who thinks the Legacy of Kain franchise should be laid to rest.

It was a brilliant franchise, It had its time in the spotlight, but it was pretty clear by Defiance that it had stretched itself as far as it could go.

Why are things in gaming never allowed to just end?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

In truth, except for the original PS1 Legacy of Kain, I actually hated the gameplay of the entire series. It was the one franchise that I totally preferred to watch other people play, because the story was excellent, but the gameplay bored the shit out of me.

Honestly, the end of Defiance seemed like a pretty final ending, I mean, even going so far as to explain the origin of the Soul Reaver, so, I don’t really see where they could go with it, to be quite honest, but you can always clone Ripley, I guess.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Gnosis

@9 Maybe because Defiance had an open ending.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ayman03

@9 because the good games never get replaced by other good games
    ask Prince Of Persia Series if there is a game since its demise that replaced it

#12 1 year ago
  13. darkholm25

brothers and sisters fans of lok if we all ban together and tell them that we want a a single player lok they may think twice about making it lok was a cult classic we has to prove it will be a hit if it comes out i wanna see the true end of lok saga with kain is what i want or a start of a new saga in the lok world like sr plez back me on this ppl lets not let raziel’s death be in vain and for kain to find peace and balance for his long hard life plez ppl help your voice can save a hero from fall fadeing into memory

#13 1 year ago
  14. omfgdiefgtdie

lok was an amazing game. great story and voice over acting…ya the gameplay could have been added too…but the story totally made up for it. i wanted the enhanced BloodOmen game….remake the original blood omen on the next gen systems and add more to it, features and more storyline. game would be a great one to tide people over until another future lok title..

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

Looks like it had an actual theme, which is something a lot of modern games do not have.

Ugh, I miss the franchise.

@10: Yeah, the gameplay was never that great. Story was fantastic though.

I think a lot of people cling to the franchise because it was so freakin’ creative. Which seems to be the ultimate sin in modern gaming nowadays.

#15 1 year ago
  16. infernalism

There was a final game in the works in regards to the Scion of Balance storyline, but it was cancelled. There were many, many questions left unanswered like: What is Vorador doing in BO2? What happens to Kain and the Elder God? Who is the mysterious Hylden Seer? A game can even be set in a completely untouched era of Kain’s dominance over Nosgoth with his vampire sons/lieutenants.

The story of LOK still needed one more game IMHO. I agree that gameplay was far from perfect by the end of the series, that they struggled with new ideas…but I love that universe, I love those characters, their story and I love the voice acting. I would like nothing more than to play another game set in this universe, preferrably with the established characters, at least with Kain. I will take a look at the MMO but…I doubt I’ll actually buy it and play it, and I’m a huge fan of the series. How on earth are they going to sell it to people, who don’t like/care/know about the game in the first place?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Phoenixblight

Really nothing to gauge of this project other than a talent system and some motion graphic cutscenes probably done by cinema4D or after effects. The character looks stupid however. Like a modernized shadowman.

#17 1 year ago
  18. infernalism

He does look pretty similar I’ll give you that…
    I use this article as an opportunity to bitch about the lack of new single player games in this franchise, not sure how this particular project would have turned out. A failed entry could have actually killed this IP for good, so maybe if the game “wasn’t right”, it’s for the best that it was cancelled.

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

@17: Oh yeah, a new Shadowman would also be nice.

@18: Kill the IP? How can you kill a dead IP?

#19 1 year ago
  20. infernalism

#19
    Yeah, it would, although Shadowman 2 disappointed me incredibly back in the day.
    However, I think he is talking about Jack Boniface’s Shadowman, not Michael LeRoi’s.

I don’t think it’s dead, otherwise we wouldn’t see attempts at rebooting it. And you can only fail at reviving something so many times.

What I meant was…a good reboot can revitalize the franchise, and fresh entries in the not so distant future. A failed reboot can bury it for good. Obviously.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

COrrect was talking about Boniface’s Shadowman.

I would be open to a new SHadowman. Its something different and interesting.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Armitage Shanks

do not like the design of that Gein character at all

#22 1 year ago