Xbox One friends list includes Xbox 360, no cross-console chat

Tuesday, 13th August 2013 08:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s friends list options have been detailed by Microsoft, revealing that the console also flags up Xbox 360 players in your circle. You won’t be able to chat with them however.

The details came from an updated ‘Ask Microsoft Anything’ article on IGN. It’s the same article that confirmed Xbox One will function as standard without Kinect plugged in.

In the updated piece, chief Xbox One platform architect Marc Whitten said of the new friends lists, “You’ll see us add more in this area in the future. At launch, you’ll have your expanded list of friends and the ability to mark favorites so that it is fast and easy to play with the friends you care about most.”

He confirmed that cross-console won’t be an option, “For a variety of technical reasons – including the sound quality that I talk about below – we don’t support voice chat between the two systems. You will still be able to send and receive text messages to friends on both systems, however.”

“You see your friends on both systems,” he continued, “including their rich presence. My friends that are still on Xbox 360, for example, might see that I’m on Xbox One, playing Ryse. Since I can have more than 100 friends on Xbox One, if I go back to Xbox 360 and I have more than 100 friends, it will only show me the subset of my friends who are friends with me on Xbox 360.”

What do you make of the new friends lists? let us know below.

1. Aullah

” You won’t be able to chat with them however.”

Not yet. I give it a week.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Christopher Jack

What? This sounds silly, I’m sure they could make it work if they bothered to try.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Joe Musashi

I can’t say I’ve ever looked for it. But if the 360 has Skype then I imagine this detail is to encourage users to use Skype for cross-platform chatting.

JM

#3 11 months ago
  4. Madlink

@3 It’s not on Xbox 360 yet, but I think you’re spot on for what Microsoft have planned.

They’ve been pushing Skype pretty aggressively over the last year (it hit Windows Phone 8 in November, became an integrated part of Outlook in April and also replaced Windows Live Messenger), so I can’t see this not coming to the Xbox 360.

#4 11 months ago
  5. aseddon130

This is stupid, this is more annoying to me than the constant 180 reversals they keep doing. I have friends who will not be getting a One on launch like me, but would like the option of party chat with them. I can do it across GFWL > Xbox 360 so why not One > 360?? Ridiculous.

#5 11 months ago
  6. TheKeyPit

“For a variety of technical reasons – including the sound quality that I talk about below – we don’t support voice chat between the two systems.”

Bull!

But as #3 mentioned, they sure want to push skype.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Djoenz

Its to promote XB1′s as well. . smart move Microsoft.
    Text message: Oh wow is Ryse good? Reply: Hell yeah !
    I need get it soon!

#7 11 months ago
  8. viralshag

Good, I don’t want to chat with those non-upgraded-to-XB1 losers anyway…

#8 11 months ago
  9. Djoenz

Smarter will be the option to add social media friends as well and share likes and clips , free marketing. Look at the bigger picture. Smart as hell.

#9 11 months ago
  10. bradk825

I only chat with friends I’m playing with anyway, having extra people in the party is just annoying.

I wasn’t really expecting cross-platform chat. Certain things are expected to be a line in the sand when you are on two different consoles.

#10 11 months ago
  11. MrWaffles

“You won’t be able to chat with them” BUT you can send them awsum promo codes to get an Xbox One!!

#omg #OneFriend #GetOne #OneBuddyBuys

#11 11 months ago
  12. super3001

obvious from the start when in tech talks they mention new high precision codecs.

360 can not just find spare cpu cycles from nowhere to decode higher precision audio.

stupid sdf talking shit with no information. idiots always.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

Unless someone can adequately explain in technical terms why this “is bull”, I can safely say most people are whining for the sake of whining.

There’s a very big line between critical observation and just being a fanboy. Most people have run well past that line, and are still running, even though the race is already over.

Its completely understandable that cross game chat wouldn’t be available between two completely different pieces of hardware, and its barely an issue anyway. Personally speaking, I only use Party Chat when I’m playing with friends… and if I’m it on the Xbox One, well, those are the only people I’ll need to chat with.

#13 11 months ago
  14. M. K.

I’m not quite sure why this shouldn’t work out. The servers are the same, why not just “downgrade” the quality for everyone in the party, when a 360 owner is onboard? Well I couldn’t care less.

#14 11 months ago
  15. bannedforNOreason

everything sounds great but you cant talk with friends that have the 360 but you can message back and forth doesn’t make sense it could probable be done :( .

#15 9 months ago