Payday 2: what team VG247 thinks

Tuesday, 13th August 2013 08:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Payday 2 reviews are dropping now. Here’s what team VG247 thought of Overkill Software’s steal-em-up.

I’d usually do some sort of opinion blog or write-up of a new game in time for reviews dropping but thanks to a plethora of reasons – being too busy, the yearly gamescom-planning scramble, turning 30 – I haven’t had time to play Payday 2 long enough to give it a fair appraisal.

So because it’s a co-op game I suggested we mix it up and pool our personal opinions on what we’ve played of Payday 2 so far, because I realise we’re all playing it on different formats and at different skill levels. That way you can get a neat overview of what each of us thought from our own unique perspectives.

But before I hand over to the team, make sure you check out our PayDay 2 review round-up here and have a gander at Sam’s ‘Let’s Play’ videos that show him and a rather ‘sweary’ Pat bumbling their way through two heists:

Now then. What did we all think? Take it away Pat…

Pat: “I’ve loved PayDay 2 since first playing it at E3 this year. It’s an intensely stupid computer game in my hands. My natural shooter instinct is to shoot people. It seems obvious to murder when walking with a gun, so every time I see a YouTube video of people squeezing every drop of ice from the jewellery store with nary an alarm ringing I’m all like, “Oh.” That doesn’t, however, mean my repeated bloodbath isn’t fun; if you’re daft enough to be a civilian in a shoot-out you logically deserve to die.

“While it doesn’t have the same immediacy of Left 4 Dead, the rarity of “contained” four-player online shooters means PayDay 2 deserves a slot in any Steam library. If you’re PC, online, talking rubbish, know more living organisms than your cat and like to shoot whimpering men up the bum, this is for you. Do it.”

Sam: “The ingredients that make up the excitement factor of Left 4 Dead have been put into a bank heist game. Yep, that immediately means good things. The unique factor of each heist makes it even more appealing to do it the stealthy/correct way, although you’ll always play with some moron who just decides to fire a 120db shotgun round into the air – but this definitely adds to the entertainment value.

“Sneaking around the FBI headquarters to steal a server of data while silently taking out guards and CCTV cameras is just enthralling, remove your pants type stuff. (Jesus dude! – Dave) Finally pulling off a bank heist without setting any of the alarms off is enough to make you want to fist bump the air, run up a flight of stairs and simply party like its 1999 again. I get the sweats every time it goes right. Why are you reading this? You should be playing it now.”

Dave: “I’m playing PayDay 2 on my Xbox 360 because my PC is wank. It does co-op brilliantly and in a way I haven’t experienced since Left 4 Dead, thanks in part to the sheer urgency of it all. Take the bank job for example; your thermal drill takes four painful minutes to crack the vault, while outside wave after wave of increasingly armed and aggressive cops pile up outside, showering the building in searing hot lead. It’s nuts.

“Once the safe is open you have to fill bags with money and carry them through the gunfire to your getaway vehicle. Meanwhile you have to help up your downed mates while trying not to die yourself. It’s a similar brand of confusion and adrenaline that I got from Left 4 Dead’s escape missions, and that’s a game I played relentlessly back in the day. Overkill has just hit all the right notes that make co-op games so damn enjoyable.

“Sam also told me that you can also do entire heists without breaking stealth and I couldn’t believe it until he showed me a clip of him doing it. The fact that you can coordinate so well as a team to make this happen is brilliant. However, I love the scrappy nature of the shoot-outs and that mad dash to the getaway van so much that I just start unloading my gun like a maniac whenever the opportunity arrives. I’d make a shite robber that’s for sure.”

So there’s our thoughts. What do you think of Payday 2 so far? Let us know below.

Payday 2 launches on Steam August 18 and

1. DrDamn

Had my last session of Payday 1 last night with my “crew”. We’ll be moving to Payday 2 this week. I think this section of the EG review is pretty good at summing up the games …

“No – warty and slightly shonky though it is, Payday 2 is a game that demands to be played with others. Strangers at a pinch, but preferably friends. That’s when the technical hiccups and weird rules fade into the background and you’re left with what is still, somewhat against the odds, one of the most f***ing awesome co-op games around.”

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

DrD, you playing on PC? I’m guessing probably not?

@VG, I’m glad you guys like it, I absolutely loved the beta and I can’t wait to get into the full game. I’m actually gutted I have to play footie tonight rather than mask up and cause some mayhem.

Great game. Definitely recommend it to everyone.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 It’s definitely fun, I just couldn’t get a proper feel for co-op while playing with random folk. Hopefully once it’s out I can squad up with mates and raise some hell :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

@Dave, you need to sort your PC out is what you need to do!

I was lucky in having a few runs with randoms that actually spoke (in text at least) and we nailed down our plans before the job. Unfortunately, on the console it’s most likely going to be with a mic or not, and that’s about it. So your options to pre-plan can sometimes be non-existent.

Buy me a 360 copy and I’ll co-op with you! ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

@viralshag
    PS3 here. It was available through PS+ a few months back. Really enjoyed it despite the rough edges, the core gameplay is fantastic with friends.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

@DrD, Ah, the one platform I no longer own… :(

Ah well, if you get it enjoy!

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

Still no info on the PC retail? :/ God damn it. Why are they fucking with us like that? If I had known I would’ve pre-ordered the game.

Severely sites like Amazon speak of the 19th of september as the retail release.

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

@YZ, Why is a purchase on Steam is a no-go?

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@8: It’s not really a no-go. I usually only buy smaller games on Steam. I hate having to download 10 GB everytime I want to install a game. Have you already downloaded it? How big is the final game?

#9 1 year ago
  10. wicktus

18 Go ouch thank god for optical fiber. ^^

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

Might buy it today anyway. Still feel pretty much screwed by the developers inability to say what’s what. I could’ve pre-ordered it, now I won’t get any skull mask.

Fucking assholes.

#11 1 year ago
  12. YoungZer0

@10: 18? 18 what? 18 GB?

#12 1 year ago
  13. KineticCalvaria

Might buy this later, anyone up for a game if I do? :D

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

Can someone answer me this about steam?

If I buy the 4-pack, do I have to give out the packs immediately or can I hold onto it?

#14 1 year ago
  15. KineticCalvaria

@14, you would be able to hold onto them, they stay in your inventory until used.

#15 1 year ago
  16. YoungZer0

@15: Thanks. Done. Game’s mine.

#16 1 year ago
  17. absolutezero

The full game is around about 8GB.

So much is possible in each of the levels but the game is still terrible at pointing out any of it. Like the differences in the classes, the fact that people will become alert to difference clothing and appearances etc etc.

#17 1 year ago
  18. YoungZer0

@17: “the fact that people will become alert to difference clothing and appearances etc etc.”

I think that was pretty clear. You can see a line above when you choose your clothes.

To be exact, it requires 18 GB of free diskspace, but only downloads around 6 GB. Which is acceptable.

#18 1 year ago
  19. viralshag

@YZ, Sorry I was at lunch! :P I couldn’t tell you anyway, I did start the pre-load this morning but I didn’t actually see how much it was.

@Kinetic, Get it on PC and sure we’ll have a game. I promise I will be better with this than GW2! ;)

#19 1 year ago
  20. YoungZer0

@19: No worries. See you at Harvest & Trustee.

Still feel betrayed by the developer. If I had known this all along, I would’ve bought it at pre-order and would’ve had the soundtrack now too.

#20 1 year ago
  21. KineticCalvaria

@19, Haha, that shouldn’t be too hard then.

Bought in on PC, I’ll be on it tonight if I can get it downloaded in time, just had the internet put in my new house today, so got 10 days of line tests until I get a decent speed, varying between 0.5mb-3mb at the moment :(.

#21 1 year ago