Killer is Dead struggles to sell in Japan

Monday, 12th August 2013 18:54 GMT By Sherif Saed

Grasshopper Manufacture’s latest, Killer is Dead, is off to a slow start in Japan, debuting at number five in the Media Create Charts.

The PS3 version of Killer is Dead sold 17,709 units in the week ending August 4, debuting at number five, while the Xbox 360 game debuted at number 36. In comparison, Suda 51′s last romp, Lollipop Chainsaw, sold 53,347 on PS3 in its debut week.

The game was released August 1 in Japan. It’s out August 27 in North America and August 30 in the UK.

Thanks, Gamespot, Videogamer.

1. DSB

Yeah, that sounds pretty disastrous.

#1 1 year ago
  2. slayer

such as a shame.Would buy it in a heartbeat if it hits steam

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dark

Time for Lollipop Chainsaw 2 lol.

#3 1 year ago
  4. absolutezero

This is every Suda game hes ever, EVER made.

The exact samething happened with Shadows of the Damned, Killer7, Lollipop Chainsaw and all three No More Heroes.

The games make enough money to keep GHM going, the pipeline there is good enough that they don’t need insane numbers in order to keep producing games, that and a complete lack of money wasted on marketing.

Its proof in action that niche games can be self-sustaining if the audience is loyal and there. Which in the case of Suda it most definitely is.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Preaching to the choir, but seeing as Grasshopper games don’t sell as it is, it’s pretty bad to come in so far behind Lollipop Chainsaw.

Which isn’t to say that we can conclude anything, but it sucks to see those games be left to rot.

Personally I think some of them are actually quite bad, they’re full of lousy design, but the crazy creativity that it gets wrapped in more than makes up for it.

I think if No More Heroes hadn’t been stuck on the Wii, things would be looking a lot better for Suda.

#5 1 year ago
  6. dizzygear

@5 There is a NMH port on the PS3 complete with Move support. From what i heard it sold pretty bad.
    Than again its a pretty shoddy port from a technical standpoint. Frequent framerate drops and the graphics “improvements” look pretty bad.
    The extras are nice though.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Professor Zoom

A shame, because this is a very great game and it’s probably the only game I’m looking forward to this year

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

@7: You’re looking forward to it? How do you know it’s a great game then?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Professor Zoom

#8 I loved Killer 7, I’m a big fan of it and this one very looks good.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

Just because Killer7 was good doesn’t necessarily mean this one will be. Shadow of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw were god awful.

#10 1 year ago
  11. xino

copy n paste, using sexuality to sell the game

why should people buy this?!
    i’m so glad Japan wise up to this, now all these damn devs who want quick cash grab would stop these bullcrap!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Professor Zoom

#10 Read what I wrote. I’m a big fan of the franchise, this one looks awesome and that’s why I’m gonna get this one as well…

#12 1 year ago
  13. YoungZer0

@12: You’re still not making sense.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

I can understand it: not sure whats the trip up?

He thinks it awesome, fan of the franchise, day one purchase.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Professor Zoom

Here’s another good reason:

#15 1 year ago
  16. absolutezero

Its not a franchise, the only franchise GHM have is No More Heroes.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Francis O

I would like Suda to work on a No More Heroes game for the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One. I think that would sell better.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Digital Bamboo

I saw this for sale in Seoul yesterday. The shopkeep told me it was, “very interesting” but I didn’t know anything about it, so I bought The Last Of Us instead.

#18 1 year ago