Battlefield 4 ‘Field Upgrade’ rewards explained by DICE

Monday, 12th August 2013 08:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 will encourage teamwork to new degrees, and central to this goal is the multiplayer’s new ‘Field Upgrade’ mechanic. DICE has outlined the system in more detail in a new blog post.

We reported on the post and its new trailer yesterday but there’s much more to be said about the Field Upgrade mechanic.

Writing on the blog lead multiplayer designer Thomas Andersson said of DICE’s aspirations for teamwork, “The way we’re going about it in Battlefield 4 is to highly encourage team play – but never force it. We want to promote team play by creating great gameplay mechanics such as Field Upgrades, Commander Mode, and a new range of gadgets specifically designed to expand co-operation in the field.”

“We have drastically expanded on the tools and benefits of efficient team play, and as a result we feel Battlefield 4’s multiplayer experience is the deepest, most rewarding, and fun experience in the series.”

Describing the Field Upgrade mechanic, Andersson continued, “If you’re a long term fan that played Battlefield 2142, you will already have an idea what these are, but we have tweaked them for Battlefield 4. In short, Field Upgrades are chained boosts that can affect a number of gameplay mechanics for your player.

“Similar to the specializations in Battlefield 3, these can for example provide you with faster sprint speed, stronger personal armor, or expanded ammo capacity. The idea behind Field Upgrades is to give individual rewards for squad based team play performance.

“You earn them through squad scoring such as squad healing, completing objectives with your squad members, squad resupplies, squad repairs, and other squad actions. Instead of one single specialization like in Battlefield 3, you can now pick from different upgrades paths, each containing four specializations.

“Keep the squad alive, and you will move through the accumulative upgrade path. But watch out! If your entire squad is eliminated, you will lose some of your progress.”

Do you think this mechanic could work in bringing players together as a coherent team? Let us know below.

Via MP1st.

1. DuckNation

Oh i can’t wait to see the mass of noobs still not PTFOing

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

We need killstreaks!!!!4

#2 1 year ago
  3. silkvg247

If your squad is eliminated you lose points? Bye bye pick up group play then. Appalling decision for public games where 90% of your team will be busy flying helicopters into buildings.

#3 1 year ago
  4. backup

MAG = 256

BF4 = 64

lol

Also BF3 campaign was shit total shit

they should just make BC3

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fanboy Slayer

And mag was sooooo good lmao. I don’t think that game ever in its life span has had a 256 player room. I don’t even think the community was that big lol

#5 1 year ago
  6. JopDiga

Again that fucked up backup little girl 13 years old bitch who cant afford a Gaming PC and sucks dicks so he could buy his PS3 for 200 bucks poor bitch. MAG = LAG = for FAGs. No one plays that shit, BF3 has MILLIONS of Gamer everyday, MAG not even 256 gayers.

#6 1 year ago
  7. JopDiga

That guy is 24/7 on this site so he can write shit about Battlefield and Xbox. He has no life, he is not allowed to exit his basement. I’m sorry for him, no friends, no real family, only the internet. What a life must be that? And everyday sucking dicks must be hard too for that 13yo.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Tavarish

@2 They will be in Bf 5, don’t worry.

#8 1 year ago
  9. backup

u made another account hahaha

gain that fucked up JopDiga little gay 13 years old bitch who PC pirate and sucks dicks and inspite of that he can’t collect enough money to buy games poor bitch. BF = LAG = for FAGs. No one plays that shit, MAG has MILLIONS of Gamer everyday, BF not even 256 gayers.

Gayfield for JopDick

#9 1 year ago
  10. JopDiga

Hey can you do something else than copy and paste like last time? It doesnt even rhyme when you say BF =/= LAG etc. YOU COCKSUCKER.

I fucked your mother really hard, she cried ohh ohh give me more of your creme freche. She said that you backup is bad in school and only can copy and paste and I should teach you so you can get better and earn money without giving others a blow job.

MAG is lagging =

PS3 Guys are pirates and hacker:

PS3 Cheater:

Everyone watch out: backup will just COPY AND PASTE AGAIN.

because he is a LOOSER, COCKSUCKER, DICKHEAD, ASSFUCKED GAYBOY, HIS PARENTS SOLD HIM TO GAYS SO HE CAN BE USED FOR FUCKS AND BLOW JOBS.

#10 1 year ago
  11. stretch215

Oh wow…..

#11 1 year ago
  12. backup

u sure are idiot
    those are PC hackers u loser

PS3 has no torrents
    Torrents only available on PC but u r zero IQ can’t understand this

ok i owned u again now u can start crying and giving bad words hahaha

#12 1 year ago
  13. JopDiga

You are fucking using a PC right now to write your idiot comments. No one likes you and your fucking idiotic fanboy comments cocksucker.

They use the PC to pirate PS3 games for their PS3s! They play pirated games on their PS3s and hack them and cheat online on PSN. You fucking cunt you thought only PC had somekind of pirates and hackers? You are the biggest fanboy looser ever who doesnt even know that on PS3 there are also cheaters and hackers and pirates. Most PC Gamer buy games on Steam for cheap but because PS3 Gamers have no access to a store like Steam they hack their PS3s to download and play games for free.

And give me a proof that MAG is popular and millions of people play it.

Battlefield 3 videos (11000 results, today): http://www.youtube.com/results?filters=today&search_query=battlefield+3&lclk=today

MAG videos only 106 results and most videos ain’t even MAG haha:

Battlefield fucks your MAG in the ass every day, every second.

#13 1 year ago
  14. backup

u again failed to prove PS3 has torrents

all i see are excuses

came back with proof otherwise GTFO

BF4 = 64
    MAG = 256

lol at u posting to shitty youtube result

u r idiot

#14 1 year ago
  15. Gregor

@JopDiga don’t waste your time with backup… he is… “ezpecial”. A poor little kid without brain. Be kind.

#15 1 year ago
  16. sebastien rivas

Thanks Dave,

I am interested in BF4 ever snce an article presented a couple of days ago that mentioned no cross platform will be allowed on Xbox (if I am not mistaken).

Will this apply to Bf4?
    Will this apply to Ps4 and Xbox1?

I can hardly believe cheaters will be as present on PS4/Xbox1 as they are on PC which I don’t tolerate.
    Don;t get me wrong, they have fun, they tons of funs in their own rights but I just don’t understand this god mode fun.

Something I do not understand when I played Bf3 is why there are no DICE server at all? all I could find were fan based gamer servers from around the world.
    I may jump into BF4 for a console but if it is grossed out by hundreds of cheaters then I ll forget DICE for a long haul.

#16 1 year ago
  17. backup

PPl’s don’t waste your time with Gregor and JopDiga both are pirates and hacker poor little kids without brain getting owned by me everytime

#17 1 year ago
  18. JopDiga

Copy and Paste. You cocksucker. Skipped school so you can suck dicks hard.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Gregor

Guys, be kind to backup. Remember that he has… phronemophobia.

#19 1 year ago
  20. backup

it’s better to skip school than never going to school like u

u failed to prove PS3 has torrents and got owned by me and now derailing topic

should have went to school during younger days

#20 1 year ago
  21. JopDiga

Never said PS3 has torrents you fuck learn to read. I finished school 15 years ago you cunt.

#21 1 year ago
  22. backup

hahaha so now u just proving PS3 has no piracy

because

all piracy,hacking and bad stuffs happens only on PC not through PS3

PC = master beggars pirates race

#22 1 year ago
  23. JopDiga

Your mother beggs for my dick but I say no because she has aids and will die with your father together, that day I will dance and laugh about you haha.

PS3 has pirated games like I said I gave you Youtube links but you cant read and write so I am not suprised that you write the same shit every time.

#23 1 year ago
  24. JopDiga

Please ban that fucking guy. Dave come one dont you realize that this guy is destroying vg247? Cant you just IP ban him? You can even ban me if you want but only if he also gets banned. Just make every day or two some kind of CHECK that if someone is obvious troll and cocksucker like that guy you ban him. Vg247 was a nice gaming website but no longer anymore.

#24 1 year ago
  25. backup

completed school 15yrs and dat language

show me torrents on PS3 it’s only way to prove PS3 has pirated games
    otherwise GTFO

looks like older generation was foul mouthed

#25 1 year ago
  26. JopDiga

Downloading and then putting in PS3 you fag. There is your proof. And now go the fuck out your self and jump out of the window please so you can make us a favor.

#26 1 year ago
  27. HUcast

*Goes to make popcorn for everybody else watching the reply section turning into a barrage of 1990′s style interweb put down’s*

#27 1 year ago
  28. Edo

About those moderators

#28 1 year ago
  29. backup

@26 that doesn’t prove anything

that website is not on PS3 u failed again

#29 1 year ago
  30. JopDiga

You idiot you can go to your PS3 and visit that website you fucker.
    It proves that you can play pirated games. Full stop you nigga.

#30 1 year ago
  31. JopDiga

Bye bye nigga backup cocksucker.

#31 1 year ago
  32. backup

still nothing not proved piracy happens on PS3 just linking youtube and all those stupid stuffs

#32 1 year ago
  33. backup

bye bye loser tomm i will owned u again

#33 1 year ago
  34. ZoneVodka

anyone who commented here is an idiot

your insults are lame and have no real meaning

This isn’t the battle of the platforms or games

PC did not blow up your home country, same goes for Xbox and PS3

MAG is a game, Battlefield is also a game, BOTH are games

you guys are arguing over which is better, as if the other side killed your sister or something.

grow up, until you do, you will remain lame and stupid

#34 10 months ago
  35. DSB

Tom Chick posted a pretty beast review of BF4. I especially liked the part about the battlepacks:

“You might not mind the microbuyable battlepacks and how some of the weapon attachments are only available in battlepacks, which means they’re part of a lottery. And by lottery, I mean a game tax for dumb people. Did I say dumb? I meant dedicated fans who don’t mind tipping EA on top of the $60 retail price. Oh, EA. The more things change.”

#35 10 months ago
  36. Hcw87

That makes no sense. You can’t buy battlepacks, you can only earn them by ranking up.

Seems this Tom Chick buy needs to do his research.

#36 10 months ago
  37. sebastien rivas

Yes but no but could be,

Field upgrades are present on screen in BF4, though how to access it, how to use it, how to lose it is LEFT to anyone and everyone assumption or in other words comical expertise.

#37 10 months ago
  38. sebastien rivas

Yes you receive Battlepacks when you order premium services; therefore you can buy “some”.

#38 10 months ago
  39. DSB

@36 The websites I’m seeing say that they’re purchaseable through Origin and Battlelog. Same system as Mass Effect 3, no?

#39 10 months ago
  40. viralshag

Unless I’m totally missing it I can’t see the option to buy them…

#40 10 months ago
  41. DSB

I wouldn’t know, I don’t have BF4. Could it be a console/PC thing? I guess Chick was playing on the PC too, though.

#41 10 months ago
  42. viralshag

I’m looking on Battlelog, Origin and the Battlelog store and I don’t see the option to buy them. I don’t think you can, outside of the ones you get for being a premium member (like one a month or something).

#42 10 months ago
  43. Hcw87

You cannot buy them.

You get one gold pack every month for being a premium member (Gold packs unlock every 10th level aswell), so it’s not a microtransaction service at all.

#43 10 months ago
  44. DSB

Haha, uh oh! I guess he has another indignant shitstorm incoming.

It seems weird that they’d do it for ME3 and not BF4 though. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the result of EA suddenly growing a soul.

#44 10 months ago