Microsoft Points vanishing with next Xbox 360 update

Saturday, 10th August 2013 14:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced that it will discontinue Microsoft Points with the next Xbox 360 system update.

The firm’s Marc Whitten announced during E3 that after plenty of user feedback, it would switch over to a local currency system and Xbox Live Points cards at stores would be switched to standard Gift Cards.

Once the new update goes live and is completed, when users purchase or redeem a Microsoft Points card or code, the system will add to their account an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Xbox Marketplace value of the Microsoft Points.

Item prices will thereafter be expressed in local currency with the continued ability to directly purchase content from Xbox stores using any current form of payment available in your region.

The new Xbox Gift Cards will start being made available in store in late 2013, and like the previous point cards, can be added to the user’s online account.

Microsoft will continue to accept purchased points cards and codes until further notice, and upon being redeemed will be converted over to local currency.

In addition, points earned through Xbox Live Rewards will remain in the user’s Xbox Live account and transition to local currency with the update.

1. Moonwalker1982

My XBL already doesn’t have MS Points anymore. It’s all euros here. But maybe that’s because i take part in the beta.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 I was always afraid to do beta testing of the dashboard updates, etc in case it blew my box up :)

#2 11 months ago
  3. mark_t50

Any word yet on if they sorted out the pricing for certain regions ? I seem to recall that some regions were getting screwed over in the conversion process, the UK being one of them. I’m sure I read an update from MS saying it was all a mistake, but don’t recall seeing any further update.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Not sure. The third link in there tells you more about the conversions and there’s information on taxes, and all that other stuff along with a chart noting the regions affected by the change.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Game Hunter

well gathering 50000 points is now officially in vein for me.(although LIVE is not available in our region,so I couldn’t spend them.)

#5 11 months ago
  6. Cobra951

Wait, what? Your money expires?

“The currency added to the account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015; however, the currency purchased and added to the account after the transition will not expire.”

Why should it *ever* expire? Does your bank account expire if your bank changes its name? And does the “expirable” money get spent first when you buy something, or do they keep leaving it for last, so that (if you always leave money in your account) it ends up vanishing? Come on, journalists. This is some serious shit here. Raise a little hell about it.

I already knew about points going away. There was a tile on the Xbox dashboard mentioning it (plus it’s been reported before). The “expiring” bullshit is news to me.

Edit: “If you choose to use the currency in your Microsoft account for a purchase, we will automatically use the earliest expiring currency first.”

From their FAQ. At least that’s a relief. Still ridiculous that an account with real money in it can *expire* under any circumstances.

#6 11 months ago
  7. OlderGamer

Really? I get the conversion, but does it really mean the points you have are worthless?

#7 11 months ago
  8. Cobra951

@7: No, but it expires in June, 2015 if you haven’t used it by then. Why would such a thing ever be acceptable? How can it be classified as anything but an outright ripoff?

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

It’s a non issues. How likely are you to hold onto those points for another 2 years?

#9 11 months ago
  10. gomersoul

@ cobra. welcome to owning a Microsoft product mate, they will fuck your wallet up any way they can. hope you buy ps4 next gen and leave the greedy bastards to it

#10 11 months ago
  11. Professor Zoom

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! This is fucking disappointing and this is very greedy, I know places where I can get cheap microsoft points, so I can pay lesser for the games that I buy on the marketplace. I don’t want to pay microsoft the money directly to them.

#11 11 months ago
  12. lookingglass

So dramatic…

Go out. Right now. Buy 100 different gift cards, prepaid VISAs included. Don’t touch them for TWO WHOLE YEARS.

Hey, it’s June 2015. Now go try to use them. What?! ZOMG!?! Yea, you can’t use most of them. Most of the companies didn’t warn you at all.

This is standard business practice. I get it, you play games in your cave and you know nothing, but for the sake of all of us stop being so simple minded.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Diingo

Wow, it took Microsoft 8 years to figure out that their points system is completely retarded.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Cleaderwoo

@ #13

Nope, it took Microsoft 8 years to let go of that additional income from people using points.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Cobra951

@12: That’s not the issue. I understand points cards expiring. Having some of the money *already inside your account* expire is a completely different thing. That’s what bugs me. No drama here; only truth.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Kreion

To be fair, Steam hasn’t even done that completely yet, since I can’t just stick say £1.60 in my steam walled, it has to be over £4.00 :p

But I’ll be glad to see this go,it just makes for simpler browsing of the XBL store. If you have points on the system…well you knew the switch was coming, I wouldn’t have added them if I were you xD

#16 11 months ago
  17. Professor Zoom

#16 But why go over to all money 100%? Microsoft Points are much better, and you spare a lot of money. Why can’t it be optional whether you wanna pay them money or use Microsoft Points? I wanna pay less for the content, so I buy cheap Microsoft Points.

#17 11 months ago
  18. xXNapsterManXx

Thank god they are going, as long as the points I have now turn to equivalent value local $ I’m happy. As for the expiring I think that is to just stop people stocking up on like 100k ms points now to get them more money in local currency somehow.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Professor Zoom

Why should they go?????????????? WHY not make it optional??????

#19 11 months ago
  20. JB

It was a good deal for a lot of consumers, especially if you live in the EU. There can be quite a difference between buying 4200 microsoft points in Poland, Sweden and England as an example. There`s easily a 15-25% difference between the highest and lowest prices.

Good move consumers >_<

#20 11 months ago
  21. Professor Zoom

#20 Exactly, I had to buy UK Microsoft Points from the internet, so I could save some money because they are so expensive in Denmark.

#21 11 months ago
  22. noamlol2

at retail stores cards are gonna be expansive N E way
    so i could still buy points online (they better be region free!)

but it’s really sad, i loved the points

for a middle eastern gamer getting points in my country is very expansive
    but there is always online and since european points are just european (not region locked like PSN currency)

i could buy from anyway online

as for playstation the prices are really unfair and if you’re not buying with $$$ you’re getting ripped-off

#22 11 months ago
  23. mokkeyrg2

in the U.K its better to buy the MSP now so when they convert it to currency you get more for your money i payed £68 for MSP and now have £109 but my friend did hook me up 4 2100MSP for £10 each but still you get more for your money

#23 11 months ago
  24. kingofmadness121@live.co.uk

conflicted cause ive grown to like the old system but the new system sounds a tad bit money grabbing and why cant they make it optional about whether or not you change to real money or ms points

#24 11 months ago
  25. SplatteredHouse

I spent my last few on Minerva’s Den for B2, in case there’s some availability issue on that DLC once they change over to Steamworks. I won’t miss those dumb points.

#25 11 months ago
  26. kingofmadness121@live.co.uk

just read that the real money we now use can expire if not used before june 1st 2015 wow just wow Microsoft

#26 11 months ago