Xbox One: Home Gold sharing plan outlined for XBL

Friday, 9th August 2013 18:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced Home Gold which will allow Xbox Live Gold members to share their subscription with others on their home console.

According to Xbox chief product officer Marc Whitten, Home Gold is tied to your Xbox Live Gold account and tethered to your console and gamertag. It will allow other users in the house to use multiplayer features, apps, Game DVR and other Gold features using their own gamertag.

“So how it works is, on your console, anybody else on the console, whether it’s a babysitter that’s come over or a friend or your family, can participate in all the experiences like they’re on Gold,” Whitten told Polygon.

“It’s with their gamertag so they’re not on your gamertag, you don’t even have to be there, they’re not messing up your gamerscore or your storage or your queues or anything like that. It’s their full account experience, but it really gets to take full advantage of many of the Gold features.”

Users can log-in to their account on another Xbox One console – whether in the home or out – and all of their digital content will travel with them as long as they are logged into their XBL Gold account – the same way Xbox 360 dealt with digital content licenses, etc.

“We didn’t want people to have to understand a specific set of rules around how gold works different from content,” said Whitten. “We just wanted it to be really simple. And we wanted to give that full advantage to people in your house that are coming in to use your console or your content, to be able to play that content in the full way.”

Existing Xbox Live Gold members will have the service extended over to Xbox One and users “can even be logged in to Xbox 360 and Xbox One at the same time.”

Home Gold will not be available to Xbox 360 owners and the Family Pack is not being resurrected.

Whitten said the Family Sharing option, which was announced and then scrapped by Microsoft when it dropped its online requirements, may return in the future – something Microsoft said previously.

“As we move forward, I think we will continue to refine the best way to make it work but I’ll say that it comes down to a pretty basic set of ideas,” Whitten said. “I just want, as much as possible, to replicate the experience that a typical family has with physical content with digital content.

“One of the things we discovered with some of the stuff we’ve done with our family stuff in the past is that it was too limited and didn’t fit enough family styles or where people were. We’re working across Microsoft to think about how do you manage family accounts and how do you both enroll in that family and how does that feel right and simple from a user perspective.

“The thing I don’t want is a whole bunch of complex UI that you have to do to both enroll in and manage a family. Part of that is what we’re doing with Home Gold, to make it very simple to cover a very large base case.

“It would be cool if I could still see my family’s content when I’m somewhere else and I can start playing that content, assuming no one else is playing it.”

Whitten also said Microsoft understands “physical disc exchange,” but at the same time it needs to be managed so sharing doesn’t turn into “some unbounded sharing club that isn’t fair for the game creators.”

There’s more on this through the link and Whitten has even explained it better over on Xbox Wire which you should really give a read.

Xbox One is expected sometime in November.

1. G1GAHURTZ

They said this before, I think. Still… It’s nice to know, I suppose.

Having said that, I’m not sure I’d ever want a babysitter to be touching my X1…

#1 1 year ago
  2. bradk825

Any extra cost to this?

#2 1 year ago
  3. noamlol2

so? PS+ will be the same on PS4

and gold is such a rip-off

#3 1 year ago
  4. MCTJim

Yes Giga..this looks like clarity on the issue.

Looks like its Roaming user profiles actually.

#4 1 year ago
  5. zinc

I think the removal of adverts from the dashboard of Gold members would be a nice move.

Obviously this is not a huge issue for some, but I believe they cheapen an otherwise premium service.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Kreion

@3 useful comments as ever, ever thought of not reading articles you don’t care about?

It’s nice that this was clarified, there’s been a fair bit of unknown since they removed the always online.

#6 1 year ago
  7. MFBB

Once again Microsoft copies what Sony offers with the PS+ for PS4.

All accounts on that console can use the features/online gaming if at least one of them is subscribed.

Thatz great news for all Xbone gamers.

Would be stupid if you had to pay for each account on the console.

If they improve there subscibtion servive with more and better free games, discounts for dlc/full games, early betas etc…it will be the same as PS+ which every gamer loves.

I will definately subscribe to Xbone gold or PS+ depending on which console I end up with.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Irani

Great stuff, it finally seems like Microsoft are finally getting their act together. Recent information from Microsoft just keeps getting better and better, and it really feels like Microsoft are listening to their customers which is quite refreshing for such a large company

#8 1 year ago
  9. _LarZen_

More good news for the XBO. This console gen is going to be a really close and exciting one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. sebastien rivas

There is no copy or who does what first as long as it is benefiting the gamers, then the manufacturer understands its market.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

@G1GA
    Yeah this was said before back when family sharing was still in, good to hear it confirmed properly. It was always a bit of an oddity.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Irani

Long Live Microsoft >>> Sony Go TO Hell

#12 1 year ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

@5,11:

Yeah, I thought that they had said it before.

Should be nice to be ale to load another profile for some quick split-screen action without getting lots of ‘Can’t sign in to Xbox Live’ error messages, or have other people ruining my stats…

#13 1 year ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

Anybody who uses your console can obtain Gold membership? That’s a potential plus, and minus.

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

As it should be, my Direct TV doesn’t care about who is holding the remote. Stuff like this should be a no brainer. But I was actualy beginning to wonder if with Kinects face recon ability it might shut down if it doesn’t see the Gold member in the room.

#15 1 year ago
  16. zinc

@14, Only as long as their using your console is how I read it. Once they log onto their own console, they revert back to their scummy, unwashed, silver status.

#16 1 year ago
  17. gomersoul

so they finally decide to offer the same as Sony, this is a turn up for the books. don’t buy into their sorry

#17 1 year ago
  18. Professor Zoom

400$ is pretty much for a fat console with a small amount of games, and a useless camera, I’d much rather keep my old 360 for many years and I will probably wait for a minimum of 3-5 years before even considering investing in a next gen console, because nothing really looks new. I don’t really feel that this isn’t something that couldn’t have been done 7 years ago, the controller could have been the same at that time, the graphics is still the same, the experience of the games is the same and 3D isn’t really getting utilized, there’s no reason to buy an Xbox just to watch TV shows instead of buying s satelite with all the great content you can find, that’s also something they should make consoles capable of before moving to next gen, they also need a new controller, that’s actually compatible with human hands, and the X1 controler is disappointing, my wrists hurt, when I’m playing like 30 minutes of intense multiplayer action with the 360 controller, they need to lower the price of the software I don’t want to pay insane 90$ for a game, which is actually the price where I live, when you can get great experiences on Google or App Store for like 4 or 5$. I wanna pay 30 or 35$. I also hope they have removed the region locked and DRM greedy crap, where you buy some digital DLC, and when you have moved to another country, you’re gonna have to buy a new license for that country, instead of it just working no matter where in the world you live.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Christopher Jack

In other words any user on a console can play any digitally installed content, I believe just like the PS3 already does. Jeeze does this really need this much promotion?

#19 1 year ago
  20. onlineatron

am i going crazy or isn’t this old news? i swear it was said on stage at E3.

#20 1 year ago
  21. redwood

so you COULDn’t do that on the 360?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Christopher Jack

Just to back up on #19, http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/11/one-playstation-plus-account-on-ps4-will-allow-other-accounts-to-play-online-on-same-console/
    Struggling to find official statements that current PS+ users can share their downloads with other account holders on the same console but find many users reporting that they can & do. No reason to suspect that it’ll change with the PS4.

#22 1 year ago
  23. stretch215

@22 You can already do that on the 360 as well.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Christopher Jack

@23, Really? I recall I couldn’t play Halo: CE if I wasn’t using the account I bought it on.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Lord Snow

@24 Then it wasn’t bought on that console.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Christopher Jack

@25, Yes it was.

#26 1 year ago
  27. lookingglass

Hell yes. XBL gold profile signed into Xbox One and the 360 at the same time?

360 in the room, XBO on the 4K down stairs.

#27 1 year ago