Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

Friday, 9th August 2013 10:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One isn’t getting a RAM upgrade form 8GB to 12GB, Microsoft’s product planning manager Albert Penello has confirmed.

The rumours started after Penello took to NeoGAF to discuss the Xbox One’s specs last month. He wrote, “I would like to pose this question to the audience. There are several months until the consoles launch, and [as] any student of the industry will remember, specs change.

“Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?

“I believe the debate on this could give some light to why we don’t want to engage in a specification debate until both boxes are final and shipping.”

The rumours started to fly, but Penello has now debunked the whole lot on Twitter:

There you have it folks; it’s not happening. However, the Xbox One’s GPU speed has been upgraded. Check out the details here.

Via OXM.

1. monkeygourmet

misterxmedia and his crew will be eating crow! lol

#1 8 months ago
  2. graffik

Well MS has denied it which pretty much means this time next week it’ll be 12gb not 8

#2 8 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Ha!

#3 8 months ago
  4. Pytox

there will be 4 gb from the cloud

#4 8 months ago
  5. poisonfart

So, another “600%” faster…

#5 8 months ago
  6. graffik

I wonder if we campaigned hard enough we could force MS to add a beer cooler and a toasted sandwich maker to the XB1 then i would only have to leave it to pee

#6 8 months ago
  7. MFBB

#2 they only do what Sony does.

In the recent months all those changes are only to catch up to the PS4.

Most of the annoying restrictions/drm crap is gone and we also get a free headset.

They try to get a PS+ thing going with giving away free games and changed the handling of indie games/publishing.

They changed everything about the Xbone to what the PS4 offers and that is great for us gamers.

Would never have bought the original Xbone with all that stupid crap but now its almost the same as the PS4.

So whatever exclusive games you like more, get that console.

#7 8 months ago
  8. graffik

@7 I agree its win win for the consumer, but ya gotta wonder how MS can change so much on the XB1 so close to the consoles release date. Can’t help but think they are either going to take a big hit on profits or they have some sneaky charges that they haven’t told us about yet.

#8 8 months ago
  9. The_Red

I think we should wait for at least 2 weeks before confirming any Xbox One related news.
    Seriously, they even backtracked on the head-set bundle thingy (even after OUTRIGHT DENYING it)… So, change of RAM isn’t out of question.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Kreion

Well the only big change they’ve made was the Always on requirement being lifted, which I imagine took a lot of software patching. As for the hardware they haven’t really done anything with it, aside from that small push on the gpu. But that was likely just something that happened when they were fiddling around with the software…

I didn’t think they were ever going to add more RAM to the console, so this just confirms that. Neither systems need more RAM to start with so it seemed like a pointless argument.

#10 8 months ago
  11. illuminatusv

@7: First of all, the PS4 is more or less a catch up to the XBox 360 feature-wise, I am not talking about performance, so I can not follow your opinion that MS is playing catch-up here on the HW side of things.

@8: Totally agree

@10: Hmm, you know changing the specs of the system is quite more complicated than add a headset to the retail package. You may have to change the board and ordered silicon (RAM chips), so such a decision would translate in a lot of efforts. Thats the reason I think we will not see any increase in RAM.

BTW:
    If I analyze correctly I can say MS did not change any HW specs since they revealed the console. All changes and moves were on the SW side of things including the increase of the GPU clock plus of course the addition of the headset. Sony instead have changed their HW before reveal, it is interesting that this is supposed as a positive but the changes on MS side are considered as a negative. In the end all things that were changed were in favor to us the customers.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

Xbox One definitely has my preference. But it still remains to be seen what the hardware difference/advantage of the PS4 will mean for third party games. Maybe nothing….but time will tell.

#12 8 months ago
  13. DrDamn

I think it’s more how MS have been very reactionary to reception of the X1. Rather than a) sticking to their design/vision or b) having this stuff in place from the start. Sony’s increase in RAM was prior to reveal and could be argued simply part of the R&D process – things change all the time then. Once you’ve shown to the public then changes are more scrutinised.

Fanboys from the other side will always see it as a sign of weakness or admission they had it wrong in the first place. If it’s a change for the better it’s a good sign that competition between the two will be beneficial, and great for anyone buying that machine.

I don’t think all their changes have been good though. In particular how they handled the DRM/Always On point was bad and the outcome an over-reaction. They should have found a middle ground.

#13 8 months ago
  14. illuminatusv

@14:
    I can agree that they overreacted with the shift of their DRM policies, I had never a problem with it and I was personally sad that the familiy sharing and the discless gameplay is gone. But I also understand MS that they have reconsidered their 24h online check. They underestimated the demand of an offline feature of a games console but the good thing is that they still have the opportunity to go back to the old standards with better outthought policies than in the beginning. They should take Steam as a starting point in my opinion.

#14 8 months ago
  15. MCTJim

Now we have clarity on this Rumor. No RAM upgrade. Next….

#15 8 months ago
  16. bradk825

Later today: “Sony Announces 12GB RAM in PS4.”

#16 8 months ago
  17. DaVeduRg

3GB of X1 RAM is restricted to Gold Members.

#17 8 months ago
  18. noamlol2

#17 yup
    sony turns M$ greed to sony’s profits

#18 8 months ago
  19. sebastien rivas

Why 12 gb, 8 gb is not plentiful indeed but enough to make decent games if textures and alike are a bit optimised.

Can someone bring a clear point why MS and also why not make Sony in the bag to upgrade to 12 or even 16 gb memory?

I have 64 gigs of PC1600 on my workstation, it does not make my gaming any faster, or better though it helps to go far and beyond limitations when I model in Mudbox or Zbrush for various aspects of modeling in respective software.

And if you have 12 gb on consoles, that means all dev kits already shipped must be upgraded as well to compensate

Same here, I believe “a nothing” will be seen in difference between PS4 and Xbox. Jumping GDDR while always reassuring to have in your machine should not invoke massive drops in FPS or texture load visual glitch for Xbox, I really doubt it.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Kreion

Well actually for gaming 8gb is usual by far enough, in fact I’d almost say it’s excessive considering on the PC it is at least used for other things at the same time. Then again the X1 (and I assume to some extent the PS4) runs background applications and such but even then 8gb is fine.

The GPU will be the thing which slows down one system more than the other, but even then I agree that there won’t be a visible difference between the PS4 and the X1. At least not for a while, even by the end of the gen I don’t foresee a massive difference, but who knows.

Once you get past 8gb, as you said, it’s generally used for things like video rendering, 3d modeling and such.

#20 8 months ago
  21. sebastien rivas

@ 20

Agreed, the APU + 8 gb should be enough to have decent games considering consoles are indeed optimised for…. games ;)

#21 8 months ago
  22. bobnice

For everyone saying MS chang3 I the Xbox one to be more like PS4…then by that thinking we can say Sony tried to be more like Microsoft because the original xbox had a hardrive and the ps2 didnt, the xbox 360 had achievements and party chat and tsony eventually implimented Trophies and are now adding party chat to the ps4, original xbox and 360 had a multiplayer subscription fee and now the PS4 will have one. The xbox 360′s had an HDMI and headset while the ps3 did not but now the PS4 will have an HDMI and headset. All manufacture4s in business borrow ideas off each other…its business, look who started motion control gaming and now look at everyone who adopted it into their system.

#22 8 months ago
  23. sebastien rivas

Yes but it is always and must absolutely be to the advantage for gamers and gaming in general; therefore who’s next throw us a pita in the box?

And again while your comment it totally sound, it is partially due if not largely due to gamers whining, moaning or anything that can associated, yet, one in all for the best of gamers and how….. thanks to the liberal action of the internet, articles with in depth facts and citings and asbolutely from posts with cause to effect.

So to me, all is good and for the better of gamers.

#23 8 months ago
  24. fearmonkey

@17- I laughed at that :)

That would be a pretty funny gag to pull on Xbox fans though, a fake announcement that 3 GB is reserved for gold members, so Gold members would get better textures. Im sure someone would believe it.

#24 8 months ago
  25. sebastien rivas

@ 24 and 17

Don’t give mad/bad unworkable dreams to manufacturers just for pure profits they may listen to you right now. You already know what would happen, gamers would run away for their lives.

#25 8 months ago
  26. Riseer

The whole reason why Sony went with GDDR5 is because it’s unified memory.I bet MS wishes they went with GDDR5.Sony took a gamble and it paid off it’s that simple.Also with that amount of bandwidth and those 32 RoP’s that can give them some nice AA/filters.MS has a weaker Gpu,it’s not going to be a huge performance difference but Sony’s console should run better,I also don’t understand why MS is so proud of their API.Sony made a custom API just for Ps4,it will use every feature the system has.I really don’t care i just want 3rd party games to run good on Ps4,i know the 1st party games will show what the console can do.

#26 8 months ago
  27. Riseer

@12,

It’s a DVR…i have one of those already.I want a gaming system not a media box.I also love the first party games that Sony gives us.MS has a few games that are ok like Forza and Halo.

#27 8 months ago
  28. Kreion

I doubt they do tbh. If GDDR5 was simply better then it would be used in PC’s too, but it isn’t. Their gamble has only paid of in as much as it gives PS4 fans something to blindly point to on a fact sheet and say “here, we have this!”. The GPU is a much more important part of the system since both consoles will be held back because of that. You can run games at the highest quality with less that 8gb of ram on a PC after all, but you need a damn good graphics card and CPU for that.

In that area Sony has the advantage, but as you point out I really doubt the difference will be noticeable. It wasn’t on the Xbox 360 and Ps3 and it won’t be here, at least not till the end of the gen. Then we might see the Ps4 have a very slight edge? but PC’s will be blowing all that away again as usual.

As for software, you know I trust Microsoft the SOFTWARE developer, over Sony there. Say what you like about MS but they have far more experience optimizing Software than Sony do. But as for your point, both companies have obviously made the systems to take advantage of everything their consoles can give, so you have a moot point.

Well stop right there, you’ve already said you prefer Sony’s exclusives. In that case it never mattered how good or bad the PS4 was, you were likely already biased towards it. That’s not a bad thing per say, but why even talk about the X1 if you were likely never going to buy it? And just to make a point, Sony don’t give you the games: you buy them.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Riseer

@Kreion,So you think DDR3 is better then GDDR5 for Graphics?The only reason why you don’t have GDDR5 for Pc’s is the fact it isn’t cheap.Also Pc GPU’s use it’s own GDDR5.DDR3 is fine for moving small amounts of data,GDDr5 is better for larger chunks ”graphics” which is the whole reason it’s used for GPU’s.To even bring up PC isn’t even fair,this is about fixed platforms.Like i said before i don’t care i just want Ps4 games to be awesome.I don’t hate Xbone,just right now it hasn’t peaked my interest.The thing is DirectX 11.2 will help Pc’s more so then the Xbone.Also the first post i made wasn’t about how bad the Xbone is or w/e.I just think Sony did a damn good job so far, as a gamer i am excited to see what is in store.

#29 8 months ago
  30. Riseer

@26 Ps4 will have the edge period,this isn’t Ps3 vs 360.You had two completely different Gpus/Memory setup’s also the CELL was a bastard to program for.This time around 3rd party games are being ported down to consoles.The Xbone has DX11 which will help on the porting,Sony added in a Api feature that helps porting DX11 games over to it.It will be the first party studios that show off what these consoles can do.

Also you have to understand that these API’s improve over time.Ps3 was a mess of a console from the start.A two pool memory setup was a bad idea,Crazy Ken really didn’t help.Cerny seems to understand game development much more then most people.If Sony didn’t customize the Gpu/Cpu to cope with the bottlenecks,i would be really worried about it’s real world performance.Gamescon will tell us how well MS and SOny has done hardware wise.

#30 8 months ago
  31. Riseer

@28,It doesn’t seem to me Sony is using the stat sheet this time around.Really nothing more then what MS has said so far.Sony got knocked on their ass,they lost their market share to MS.I just see a company that seems to understand gamer’s.I know of quite a few 360 fanboys that are switching to Ps4 because of the way MS treated their fanbase.Sony did it with Ps3,so i guess MS figured they had to do it this time around.

Even tho they fixed a lot of issues they still look bad because it makes them look like they have no real plan.The cloud will play a much less of a role because it’s not a always on console anymore. 3rd party developers won’t use it.Also i was one of the few Sony fanboys that actually called it as it was.360 was a better ”gaming console ” because you got great 3rd party ports.That said Sony’s first party devs are top notch.MS seems to fall behind in that department,Sony is also announcing new games at Gamescom.

I just think Xbone fanboys want Sony to trip up and fail same can be said about PS fanboys.Which is the wrong way to look at it.You need two consoles to compete,this gives us the gamer’s great games and keeps prices honest for the most part.

#31 8 months ago