Xbox One: all versions come bundled with headset

Thursday, 8th August 2013 14:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One Day One and standard editions will come bundled with a chat headset, Microsoft has announced today.

Previously, it was thought the headset would not be inlcuded with the system, but then Microsoft hinted it was considering changing its mind and said it would look into the inclusion.

Now it’s been confirmed: the headset is included in both the Day One and standard editions, per a Microsoft spokesperson speaking with Shacknews.

The Xbox One Day One Edition, featured in the unboxing video below hosted by Major Nelson, will also come bundled with a 4K HDMI cable, along with all the other Day One goodies previously outlined.

Here’s a few other details posted by Albert Penello, director of product planning for Xbox One: the 4K HDMI cable included is an “actual Category 2 HDMI cable, rated for 1080P, 3D and 4K, according to the HDMI 1.4 spec,”; the Xbox One wireless radio is A/B/G/N, but supports dual-band 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies; when you plug a micro-USB cable into the controller for wired gameplay, the internal radio is actually shut off, transmitting data through the wire. You can even use the controller without batteries in this mode.

Microsoft released other videos today, of the headset, controller, and play and charge kit.

The console is expected sometime in November.

Close up shots of the headset are below along with the unboxing video.

1. Lengendaryboss

So this is a separate bundle for how much?

#1 9 months ago
  2. MCTJim

I think its a typo ..should be bundled not bundles..but its is definately welcomed news for everyone..now if they would just make the adapter for the older headsets..it would be golden.

edit and I see that it was..thanks for fixing that :D

#2 9 months ago
  3. Eregol

Another day another flip flop.

#3 9 months ago
  4. dex3108

What is next? Video where Larry opens Xbox One and we can see that PS4 is inside? XD

#4 9 months ago
  5. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Yes- it is fixed it was “breaking” news so it is still being cleaned up. Give me a minute.

@1 No, all xbox ones will come “bundled” with the headset. Dunno why they use that term – just say “includes headset” right? To me a bundle includes, I dunno games and stuff.

#5 9 months ago
  6. mark_t50

As good news as this is, I wish they would make their bloody minds up! I’m sure we had a story a week or two ago that they were including the headset, and someone from MS came out and said it wasn’t true.

I’m waiting for another story to say they are taking Kinect out again, but for MS to come out and say it’s true this time, I think that’s about the only thing left for them to flip on.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Gheritt White

They’ll re-name it the Xbox 720 next.

#7 9 months ago
  8. viralshag

Well this is good news. I’m glad MS is in a state of weakness right now as we seem to be getting everything we (and others) asked for.

Just need a slightly lower price and we’re golden.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Judicas

They really do need to rename it the Xbox 180. So happy for this new system, has everything I want coming with it pretty much now :D Take my monies, bring it on November! :D

Will get a PS4 in a year or two but Xbox all the way for now :)

#9 9 months ago
  10. MCTJim

Its does show they are listening

#10 9 months ago
  11. Djoenz

Oh my tht powersupply adapter is gigantica. . . :P

#11 9 months ago
  12. Yoshi

I declare the Microsoft to be forever known as Little Miss 180!

#12 9 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

Julie Larson-Green is a mean machine…

#13 9 months ago
  14. Eregol

DAT POWER ON TUNE!

#14 9 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    I see it now thanks ;) and yeah bundles are usually like that.

@Gheritt
    Oh the irony.

On-Topic great MS is U-turning almost all decisions they have made (good or bad): now we all know the one thing that has to be u-turned:

#15 9 months ago
  16. twisted89

There’s technically no such thing as a 4k/1.4 hdmi cable, all hdmi cables are the same its the ports that are actually different. Bet I could go down to Tesco and buy a £1 cable and it would be just as good as this super awesome ‘Actual category 2′ cable.

#16 9 months ago
  17. melonbuster1

#17 9 months ago
  18. stretch215

Good news. Now I hope sony does the same (anyone know?). Playing mp on the ps3 was more quiet than my local library.

#18 9 months ago
  19. tCruzin

People joke about Xbox 180 but at least they are listening and making changes. People complain either way tho so it’s no surprise.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

The headset?

#20 9 months ago
  21. DrDamn

It’s good news for those purchasing the console, end of.

#21 9 months ago
  22. graffik

Maybe its time for the masses to start complaining about the price of xbone, im sure if enough people moan about it they will drop the price like they dropped all the other ideas

#22 9 months ago
  23. bradk825

That’s good news. I usually use my TBs anyway but for some games I just use a standard, like when I’m just playing poker or something.

#23 9 months ago
  24. wamp

can’t believe that M$ will put in the cool headset that they sell for and not making a cheaper version that cost to make like the one in the 360. Still happy they’ve made that desion. For the HDMI cable too
    Kiddna odd for us to be happy of the inclusion of a cable that should’ve happened 5 years ago, but anyway .. :)

#24 9 months ago
  25. stretch215

@20 yes and thanks. Good news also.

#25 9 months ago
  26. bradk825

@17 It does kind of seem like post-Mattrick things are changing doesn’t it?

#26 9 months ago
  27. TF_PtMaster

Glad to know my Xbox One Day One will have a free headset. And he looks really nice!

#27 9 months ago
  28. misieque

Hi, Billy Mays here for…

#28 9 months ago
  29. monkeygourmet

Does it come with a ‘memory card’?

#29 9 months ago
  30. FuntimeBen

The only thing Microsoft hasn’t flip-flopped on next-gen, is the services behind their paywall. At this point everything we know about the Xbox One has changed from reveal.

#30 9 months ago
  31. Dragon246

This is what competition drives – better deals for consumer.

#31 9 months ago
  32. mokkeyrg2

saving £20 then good they include a headset :) and a 4k hdmi cable aint cheap so the extra £80/$100 is geting smaller

#32 9 months ago
  33. Eregol

@32 You can get a 4K capable HDMI cable for as little as £5

#33 9 months ago
  34. Judicas

@16 completely and utterly wrong. The only thing the same on hdmi cables is the plug at the ends of the cable. There are cables that can not do 3d that look just like 3d cables, ditto with 4k.

#34 9 months ago
  35. Docker Al

Mandatory Kinect = no purchase.

#35 9 months ago
  36. viralshag

Just watched the actual video, I have to admit I really do like the look of the console. I’m looking forward to getting mine come November!

#36 9 months ago
  37. sebastien rivas

Thanks for this thread about Xbox headset.

All this for the pleasure of the gamers.

Hey Sony, throw us another pita, Xbox will follow…

#37 9 months ago
  38. gomersoul

No the £80 difference is not getting smaller, you get a headset with ps4 so really ms are just playing catch up because panic is rife among ms executives. Micky mouse operation their running, at least Sony had the balls to follow up their policies

#38 9 months ago
  39. OlderGamer

“It seems to me that once they got rid of the fool in charge they had a check list of things to fix. They are fixing them. I have seen systems launch and get it all wrong. This is the new age. The now age. They hear they listen they act. Now not later. Before you buy. To please the fans.im happy and can’t wait for this new system. They are getting it right. Now one game in the box and its a knock out.”

Might be something too that actually. I been thinking the same type of thing. For me, I don’t want to buy it till they remove the Kinect always on thing. If Kinect were optional, and the price reflected that…I would be much more interested.

#39 9 months ago
  40. super3001

nice. my day 1 will rock but still getting 7.1 surround which plug straight into controller

#willneverbepossibleonps3.5

#40 9 months ago
  41. Kanok

This is good news because Mattrick has left from Microsoft.

#41 9 months ago
  42. sebastien rivas

Regarding the 4K capabilities.

The more, the better then the better gamers will feel.
    Having the choice is always good candy for gamers.

Though if a cable 4k capabilities comes in the box does nothing to me right now at this moment.

Who out there has a 6 to 14k dollars TV 4k capable?

Yes, you know those TV price tag will go down to 2k then less by the end of next year but my question is. Can we be assured this 4k capable HDMI cable cord will still be of excellent quality/reproduction by then or shall we see better cable cord?

#42 9 months ago
  43. Eregol

@40 Why do we want 7.1 from the controller?
    My wireless headset does 7.1 Virtual surround and that’s Bluetooth and only requires a USB dongle in the PS3.

#43 9 months ago
  44. G1GAHURTZ

^ Virtual surround isn’t even close to being the same thing as Dolby 7.1.

#44 9 months ago
  45. sebastien rivas

@ 39

I agree. Usually Microsoft is on par or on top for delivery. But here it looks like they have in house issues. I hope they do it, and I wish they do it right!

Cheer ;)

#45 9 months ago
  46. Eregol

@44 Doesn’t bother me. My current headset is lightyears ahead of my previous one, and I find the surround works really well.
    Makes The Last of Us really atmospheric.

#46 9 months ago
  47. bradk825

I like that the controls for the volume and mute are right under the control pad. That’ll be a little easier to adjust mid-game.

I hope they do something similar with the XO Sevens I ordered.

#47 9 months ago
  48. super3001

lol virtual 7.1 low bandwith bluetooth

true uncompress 7.1 over wifi direct. much superior

#48 9 months ago
  49. Kreion

That’s nice, at least I won’t have to buy a new headset. Not that I know where my wireless one is at the moment…but either way.

Personally I don’t use the headsets for game audio, only for voice chat, so quality isn’t a massive concern.

#49 9 months ago
  50. bobnice

Wow people like to complain about good news too. Im happy for the headset and hdmi cable. I was so pissed that my original ps3 didnt come with one back in the day. I know they’re cheap on newegg but at least they’re not leaving us to buy one. And the inclusion of the mic is a plus. But now people want to bitch about a power brick??? All this bitching and moaning about a video game sysytem is getting pathetic. Really if you dont like the product then why come here and bitch and bitch and bitch about it…just dont buy it and move on with your life.

#50 9 months ago
  51. lookingglass

This console is so damn sexy! Cannot wait.

#51 9 months ago
  52. Djoenz

Power Brick MORPH!!!!!!!!!

I was the only one mentioning the gigantic adapter lol those things tend to get hot too, but damn get a grip please.

If I want to bitch I may do so just like you are bitching right now.

Everyone ignored me but not youuuuuuuuu :)

#52 9 months ago
  53. therealjdj

Game changer? No.
    But already having the system on order, it does save me $25 or the cost of the converter to use my current 360 headset.

So this is good news. Are they doing it because Sony is or are they really listening to consumers? Does it matter? No. We win. Period.

#53 9 months ago
  54. sebastien rivas

@ 50

All I see are people questionning purpose, quality and functionality.

I for one pondered the question if a hdmi 4k capable rdy so early in stage in really a necessity. Do not get me wrong, again the more/the better then the better for gamers and that is always a +

I brought the question up because I feel there will be another standard when 4k capable TV will be made available to the mass market which means for 4k gamers already present will have to follow with the trend; therefore do not take the HDMI cable into a purchase option. And the same goes for Sony and Nintendo if they want to come up with something comnparable.

Now about the 7.1 audio posts I cannot answer that but I can say it is hard to find virutal sound head set with high fidelity reproduction. Again I do not expect it to be the case for Sony and Microsoft; therefore I am please Xbox follows Sony’s head set trend in the box and again one or the other should throw a pita in for free because it is best for us the gamers.

And no it is far from being done, I wait now to see warranty length on both consoles and on top of it what each warranty include.

I also wait and see about Microsoft coming to us gamers about if they want to listen or not on Getting a bundle without kinect or not. There have been gamers on vg 247 who are willing to buy Xbox1 only if it comes w/out kinect. Again more choice to the gamers more power to the gamers, although what gamers do not understand here is that they will have to pay for kinect if they want which means in the end they have to pay more as a result or purchasing separatly xbox 1 and Kinect.

And yes, there are lots of moaning around Xbox 1 but it is not the gamers fault, really!
    We are brought with skeptical gaming functions such a DRM/24 (not about always plugged to the cloud but about 24 hrs check only) and also kinect spying on you and on paper Xbox1 is barely on par with Sony while being more expensive, how do you want gamers to react.
    I am glad gamers are not sheep but have a brain and complain on elements they do not want to see or do not understand its necessity. That is why in first place you end up with from what I heard with ads on Xbox 360, because you allow it without complaining or saying anything. Maybe it does not bother you but in the end it is leaving a wide wide wide door for more scrutiny for profits.
    I for one want an Xbox but not in those terms. I do not mind the kinect because no matter it’ll be facing a mirror but I don’t want data to be sent without my knowledge while I play a game offline. again if I accept that it is just plain wrong, it has nothing for gamers but again open wide doors for scrutiny on consumers for profits. I have nothing against profits, hell make more profit if you can but don’t do it on my back (if it has no evolution/revolution in good manners for gamers) nor on my privacy.

#54 9 months ago
  55. Ireland Michael

Well, you can’t fault them for listening.

It would be better if they stopped making all these hiccups – how are they so off the beat of what people want? – but no point looking a gift horse in the mouth. This is a good move.

#55 9 months ago
  56. fearmonkey

Now all they have to do is release a kinectless version and the reversal will be complete, and I would consider buying one anytime soon.

It’s amazing the bad decisions that they have made, and then the turnaround of most of them.

I am just waiting for the diehard Xbone fans to start saying that they want the headsetless version, because they liked that product vision better :)

#56 9 months ago
  57. Major Mayhem 70

Great news. That’s money in my pocket. I was just about to purchase a high speed Hdmi online for the low low and was waiting to see what the adapter for the headset would cost. Now bring on the release dates will ya. I’ve got vacation days waiting to be placed on the calendar. Just need the release dates.

#57 9 months ago
  58. sebastien rivas

@ 55

I agree with you and I would even say bring us more :P

It is not about bad decisions. We as gamers have to understand how consoles market is too. It is in bad shape for years now whereas they sell new stuffs but at loss.
    Yet, they Sony, Microsft, Nintendo and any other manufacturers have to understand there is the art and there is the manner to do so and you cannot shove stuffs down the gamers throat, even by association of some benefit(s).
    Just like for games, gamers never see a game “good or excellent” but gamers always see its worst side.

Is it fair, I am not here to judge but in my opinion it is a good give/take situation where quality must always be achieved.

#58 9 months ago
  59. Kreion

As always, a Kinect-less version would kill the system. If you fragment the user-base again then you may as well not have the peripheral for all the core games that will invest into it.

I need to get an hdmi to vga adapter though D:

#59 9 months ago
  60. bradk825

In case anyone can’t see the video, I will provide a text description.

He casually peels back the cover, exposing the sensitive Kinect. He lovingly withdrawls it to display it proudly. It is long and black. He removes the manual, giving all the instructions on how to properly care for and enjoy the contents. After that comes the cables, long and sleek, it protrudes from the box and gentle falls against the table top.

Then something happens he didn’t expect. He reaches in and his hands touch something firm but flexible. He pulls it out, a chat headset! A quick thrill passes through him, his heart flutters. He didn’t expect it, but he’s glad it’s there.

Finally he reaches his target, the liquid black machine, it’s beautiful and young, never touched before, just waiting for him to caress the on button, to whisper “Xbox ON” into it’s long, black sensory unit. He slides the plastic wrap off, no longer seperating him from his prize. And then, then then…. Yes, he’s finished.

#60 9 months ago
  61. OlderGamer

I understand what you are saying about not fragmenting the user base Kreion. However simply making it, won’t ensure that people will either want to use it or even use it at all. If you look at the Wiis control system it was great for some games, and everyone that had the system had those controls, but eventualy a lot of games used the WiiMote turned sideways like a throwback traditional digital controller…even a few of the Nintendo first party games.

What I mean is just integrating Kinect into the entire experience of X1 won’t ensure that gamers will want to use it. I don’t. Now I am not everyone of course. But I don’t want to buy the system due to Kinect being essential to the system. Much like WiiMote waggle may well have turned of gamers, thus the shift to minimize it a few years into the systems life cycle.

Kinect is just a deal breaker for a lot of people.

#61 9 months ago
  62. Djoenz

Eeeeewwwwww you are even eewer than major smellson….

#62 9 months ago
  63. zinc

@60, Bravo sir. I’d give you around of applause, but I cannot clap one-handed :)

#63 9 months ago
  64. Christopher Jack

‘Least it looks better than Sony’s in ear garbage.

#64 9 months ago
  65. MCTJim

@64 indeed.

Now all MS has to do is throw in 1 year of Gold for the Day one editions and that will be the icing on the cake…Its a pipe dream, I know, but it would be nice.

Since I have to buy PS+ now to play the PS4 :( . I was hoping to save some $$ somewhere. Maybe sony can throw in PS+ for a year too :)

#65 9 months ago
  66. sebastien rivas

@ 65
    Your ideal definitely sounds attractive.

#66 9 months ago
  67. MCTJim

@66 yeah it does, but its a long shot..from either Console maker.

I am actually more than happy with what each offers now.

#67 9 months ago
  68. Christopher Jack

Yeah, the required subscription for the PS4 really put me off, ended up buying a desktop PC instead. Unlikely to get either next gen console at this point.

#68 9 months ago
  69. bradk825

@67 ditto, but the more they fight the better the offer gets, lol. I say let them keep comparing dicks until launch and beyond.

#69 9 months ago
  70. tracyis300

This is great! Save my self $25. Now…. How did he turn it on with out having it plugged up?

#70 9 months ago
  71. airsick7

And this is exactly why it’s in gamer’s best interest that BOTH companies thrive. PS4 had a pack-in headset, XBO didn’t… until competition started nipping at their heels. Sony just saved us 25$ and forced Xbox to cut into their margins a little deeper.

The ‘good faith’ reversals coming out of MS lately are in direct response to their competitor’s offerings. I’d hate to game in a world dominated by either one of these corporations.

#71 9 months ago
  72. airsick7

@64 I might be the only one who prefers the in-ear design, although I have no idea which will actually perform better.

The headset style makes me feel like I’m either working at a 90s Madonna tour or a McDonalds drive-thru…. and my wife laughs at me. ;-)

#72 9 months ago
  73. M. K.

Now Larry, be a good boy, throw away that stasi cam and you’ll get a good amount of new pre orders :)

#73 9 months ago
  74. Keivz

Same. But Forza 5 has me tempted.

#74 9 months ago