Payday 2 is profitable ahead of full release

Thursday, 8th August 2013 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Payday 2 co-developer Starbreeze Studios has announced that the game’s pre-orders have been so successful that the game has turned a profit already, and it’s not had a full release yet.

As reported and translated by Gamereactor, the Starbreeze statement says that all of the money invested into the project via publisher 505 Games has been recouped already, meaning that all income from this point will be shared between both parties.

The site translated a statement from former Overkill CEO Bo Andersson-Klint which reads, “Today Starbreeze has once again demonstrated that our strategy of focusing on our own properties is correct.

“Not only have we managed to deliver a desirable product in Payday 2 but also executed a promotion that few companies of our size can. We now look forward to the royalty income that can secure the company’s development of its own IP in the future.

“That Payday 2 generates revenue for the company six days before the release is of course very unusual for games of this size and strengthens the long-term nature of our strategy.”

The game will hit Steam, August 13 and other formats between August 13 and 16. It’s due on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Are you pumped for Payday 2? Let us know below.

Via OXM.

1. ps3fanboy

good for you that people throw money on you without having tried the product you are making(i personally dont ever do that). but be aware Starbreeze Studios, it can easily backfire when what you delivers is all just hype and crap product… its no good idea to take celebration to early and be a smart ass about it in the media, its now double the pressure on yourself…. just saying.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Tavarish

Well deserved profits in my opinion. PayDay 2 is pure blast to play even with 3 random people and fun is had. Really good value for price if you ask me.

#2 12 months ago
  3. viralshag

Good for them. Really good game and I’m really enjoying it but I’m going to give the beta a rest until full release.

#3 12 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

@3: Aye, I reached the level cap yesterday. Won’t go any further than that. Can’t wait for next week.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Captain_Iglo

Playing Payday the Heist right now. It’s awesome. Payday 2 looks even better. Cant wait!

#5 12 months ago
  6. viralshag

@4, That’s the same for me. Now that I’m there I would rather wait until full release to try out the remaining stuff.

I might just jump on to respec and try some of the other “classes” with points fully invested. Right now I’m full enforcer with the saw but I really like the Technician tree with a focus on the drill/C4.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Tavarish

@5 They unlocked PayDay 2 beta for everyone who owns PayDay 1 ;)

#7 12 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

@6: Respec is gonna cost you. So watch out. :P

#8 12 months ago
  9. viralshag

@8, Yeah, I’ve done it a few times already. I would have a lot more money than I do now if I wasn’t so flip-floppish when it comes to my character builds. In that respect I’m worse than Microsoft when it comes to U-turns.

#9 12 months ago