Driveclub’s car handling isn’t pure simulation explains dev

Thursday, 8th August 2013 12:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Driveclub’s car handling, “sits in the middle between simulation and arcade” according to the game’s design director Paul Rustchynsky, who has shed new light on how it feels to hit the road in Evolution Studio’s PS4 debut.

Speaking with The Guardian, Rustchynsky said of the game’s handling, “It sits in the middle between simulation and arcade. It’s grounded in realism, so the cars have a sense of weight, a tactile feel with the road, but we want to make sure it’s easy to throw them around the corners, it’s all about having fun with the cars.

“But there is a lot of depth – you want to shave milliseconds of your lap times, you can do that. But players can pick up the pad and hammer the throttle, the intricacies can be picked up later.”

While Driveclub isn’t a pure racing sim, Rustchynsky stressed that it didn’t want to wrench total control away from players with stacks of assists. He added, “You have to be careful of taking control away from the player.

“We’ve had feedback from professional drivers, we’ve had people come in from the manufacturers … it’s always about making sure we have a clear focus; we want to make sure players can feel what the car is doing while maintaining full control.

“We’ve spent a lot of time refining how we deal with player inputs. If the player throws a car around the corner then touches the stick in the other direction we need to know how much opposite lock to give them at that time. Give them too much, they’ll spin, too little and they’ll under-steer. It’s just all about refining and iterating. We feel we have the sweet spot now.”

Where do you think this ‘sweet spot’ lies for you, personally? Let us know below.

Driveclub is a PS4-exclusive title and will be available at launch.

Via CVG.

1. monkeygourmet

It’s funny how people say you shouldn’t compare this to Forza as this is not simulation.

Yet when Xbox fans were comparing Forza to GT, Sony fans said Forza is an arcade experience and not a simulation?!

Head explodes.gif

I still would have prefered a new Motorstorm, looking like the one they promised at E3 on the PS3.

#1 8 months ago
  2. super3001

forza main series is pure sim but assists can be added for noobs.

driveclub is crappy copy of horizon.

#2 8 months ago
  3. DrDamn

Full Guardian article is well worth a read.

#3 8 months ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

The best driving series that blended really well sim/arcade was PGR. I really, really miss that series! :(

And even if I’m a big Forza fan (prefer GT though) and have my pre-order for Forza 5, I would have prefered a PGR game. I remember playing non-stop PGR 3 with the 360 release.

#4 8 months ago
  5. SlayerGT

@4 Well I’m hoping that this feels like PGR. Bunch of the staff came from Bizarre.

#5 8 months ago
  6. super3001

driveclub is crappy 30fps with input lags and very bad looking. do not mention legend of pgr in same sentence it is insult.

forza horizon is lot of bizarre staff and is more like pgr.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Kieran

@1 yea motorstorm wouldv been brilliant as a ps4 launch title in my opinion !! but driveclub does look fun :) and its free with ps plus :)

#7 8 months ago
  8. SlayerGT

@6 Yeah but PGR didn’t have rubber banded, cheap, fake ass AI like Horizon. If DriveClub doesn’t either it’ll already be worlds better than Horizon.

#8 8 months ago
  9. fihar

I hope they’ll include street circuits. I miss Macau.

#9 8 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

That unified gaming world idea they mention would be kind of neat actually. I could see lots of cool things with that, and these new consoles might actually have the ability and power to do that.

I am not the biggest racing fan, I prefer Rallysport games the most, and I prefer arcadey over sim, so Driveclub interests me more than Forza. I have never been able to get into Forza or PGR.

I wish they would show more of the game than we have seen, it’s been more like teases than full gameplay environment shots and videos.

#10 8 months ago
  11. nollie4545

Of course Forza is a simulator. What else is it?

PGR 2 as the best by miles. The handling was just the right side of realism vs arcade IMO, never had such close races before or since that game.

#11 8 months ago