Nintendo Direct: Animal Crossing promo, indies, more

Wednesday, 7th August 2013 14:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo hosted a Nintendo Direct session in both the US and the UK today, where the discussed its 3DS and Wii U slate for the remainder of 2013.

A preamble

Earlier today, a listing on Just Push Start (thanks, LegendaryBoss) from Target outlined that the following titles would be released on the following dates:

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U) – October 4 (EU confirmed)
Wii Party U (Wii U) – October 25
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) – November 15
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) – November 22
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) – December 6

Rayman, Pikmin 3, KORG M01D oh my

During the session this morning, Nintendo announced that Rayman Legends players will be able to dress up their Globox as Mario or Luigi via costumes exclusive to the Wii U version when the game launches in September. Screens and a trailer for the announcement are below

The firm, also announced that Pikmin 3 is now on Miiverse and will allow users to share captured in-game images from the eye-level of diminutive Pikmin, and post them directly to Miiverse.

As previously announced, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy will launch on 3DS in 2014.

Also announced was a special Nintendo Direct session for The Wonderful 101, which will air at 3pm UK/ 10am EDT on Friday, August 9.The game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on September 15 and on August 23 in Europe.

Virtual Console on 3DS is being shown some love with the NES version of Donkey Kong on August 15, followed by Tecmo Bowl in September.

Game Boy Color platformer Wario Land 3 is coming soon, and Super Mario Bros. 3 will be released in the Nintendo eShop on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS later this year.

In Europe and the US, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf promotion will be held through the Nintendo Zone.

Starting on August 11 in the US owners of Animal Crossing: New Leaf can visit any Nintendo Zone location to receive a Pumpkin Pie in-game item. Visit a Nintendo Zone, then go to the post office in the game and ask about a present. Different in-game items will be distributed every two weeks through late September.

Also, in Europe, a promotion starts today. The Welcome a Friend Promotion goes as follows: register Animal Crossing: New Leaf with Club Nintendo by September 7, and you’ll be able to receive a Recommendation Code.

You can then give this Recommendation Code to a friend. If your friend registers a Nintendo 3DS XL between now and October 7, and enters this Recommendation Code, your friend will be able to claim a free Download Code for Animal Crossing: New Leaf on Nintendo 3DS.

KORG M01D, based on the famous KORG M1 music workstation, was announced for Europe, and includes over 40 sounds to choose from, plus a powerful sequencer to create your own songs and sounds, before saving them as MIDI data to import to a digital audio workstation. KORG M01D launches on Nintendo eShop this autumn.

SteamWorld Dig was also announced, and is set in a world run by robots. The action platformer combines the visual styles of westerns and steampunk and arrives on Nintendo eShop today.

You can also download the awesome Super Mario Bros. 2 on eShop for 3DS in Europe today.

Indie titles such as Teslagrad, TNT Racers, Wooden Sen’Sey more are heading to eShop in Europe. You can check out a video for them below.

You can watch the US session here and the UK one though here or below.

We’re pulling all the big news for you in separate posts so keep your eye on the site for more details.

1. Lengendaryboss

Watching….

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

animal crossing plaza will make a lot of people happy. i am serious.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

Heres hoping something new is shown for Wii U. As the things are right now, PS4 and (maybe)X1 will overtake Wii U sales in a matter of months.

Watching….

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

pokemon rumble on 3ds was very soso…

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

the korg is awesome. was cool on the ds already….but it´s very very niche isn´t it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

That workstation thing had music that sounded like Pokemon? Was it Pokemon?

#6 1 year ago
  7. polygem

steam world spelunky looks sweet

#7 1 year ago
  8. polygem

i will stop posting every 5 seconds now

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

games games games!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

Objection!!!!

#10 1 year ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

Okay it’s over. I will start posting the news from it now – not in one massive post, since some of what was shown is already known (on the US end at any rate) so you will be bombarded shortly! Ha! ;)

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

Not impressed tbh. I really feel like Nintendo would be better off focusing on just the 3DS. I hate to use the words Multiplat when thinking about consoles…but maybe it would be best. I love my WiiU, but it feels like Nintendo isn’t too worried about the state of WiiU, the needed price cut, or the lack of games for the system.

#12 1 year ago
  13. polygem

some nice stuff but i really wanted to hear about miiverse integration for the 3ds – not 3ds integration on the wiiu :)
    i think it´s about time for that.

was also hoping that they will get rid of that stupid ninty id connected to the console crap.
    actually holds me back from repurchasing a wiiu.
    wiiu pricedrop will come this christmas then.
    indie support is VERY nice but most of the stuff is already on other platforms or will come to them.

i hope they´re holding back…but for how long.

or did i miss something at the beginning?

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

This Nintendo Direct was already outlined as showing pre-announced stuff.

Im not saying that should have been the focus, but I didn’t have my hopes up this time! ;)

Also, was there a UK & US show, or was it just one?

#14 1 year ago
  15. polygem

“If you are a Nintendo fan, you are best off owning the 3DS. You could skip the WiiU altogether.”

i agree with that og. the 3ds is great and really has some quality nintendo and third party games. so much good stuff and it only keeps coming. it´s a great device really.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

I wish I had purchased the 3DS instead of the WiiU. I could have waited for a WiiU price cut and a larger library of games. So much goodness on the handheld, prolly the best video game console on the market right now. And a good value. Maybe Mrs. OG will put one under the Xmass Tree this year ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. naffgeek

@OlderGamer

I kind of understand what you are saying but I got a WiiU with a mobile phone contract and it has really surprised me.

I am loving Pikmin 3 and can’t wait for Wondeful 101 and Zelda WW.

I got to thinkign the other day that if Mario Kart/Wonderful 101/super smash bros are all 1080p 60fps then this machine is essentially next gen.

Nintendo has never been about billions of polyplops tesselating their tits off, it is about the experience as a whole.

No one polishes games like Ninty and I for one am so glad I have one.

It’s nice to have a contrast to all the blood and guts and teenage fanboy shit that gets released every other day too.

Makes me happy anyway.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

@OlderGamer+Polygem
    Exactly its that mentality that just keeps me sticking with Nintendo handhelds.

Thats where i feel they are stronger.

#18 1 year ago
  19. OlderGamer

Naffgeek +1

I agree with you. I really like my WiiU. I am just disappointed that Nintendo doesn’t seem to be giving it the attention it needs. I feel it needs a dramatic price drop right now before the X1 and PS4 release. I also feel like Nintendo is being lite on games. Even features.

For example, I would like to see an announcement for 3DS/DS games being playable on WiiU. Some of the games would work better then others naturally, but with the duel screens, I see no reason why it can’t be done. Complete xross buy with every digital eShop 3DS/DS game(3d effects set to 2d ofc).

There should be no Wii Mode. No need to upgrade your VC games to work on WiiU Gamepad. All of my Wii VC games, should simply work on WiiU without having to boot up a Wii emulation mode.

Poly is right, Nintendo ID shouldn’t be hardware bound. It should easily go back and forth between multisystems.

And of course the price is too high.

And even Nintendos own games are too slow in releasing. Pikmen3 and Wonderful 101 were slated to be launch games. They need to step it up.

Two things every console needs to sell is a low as possible price and lots of quality games. Right now WiiU doesn’t have either.

It seems to me that Nintendo is placing the lions share of their attention into the 3DS. And as the system is so popular, that makes sense. But what about WiiU? I think Nintendo need to fine tune their WiiU strategy.

#19 1 year ago
  20. viralshag

I had a 3DS but I made the wrong decision of buying it at launch when it was relatively expensive and there wasn’t much out at the time… It was an impulse buy more than anything.

I’m not completely put off by the idea of getting a new/pre-owned 3DS (depending on price) when Pokemon X/Y launches. If there’s a decent bundle I would be more tempted.

#20 1 year ago
  21. OlderGamer

That is something I have been giving a lot of thought into recently viralshag, letting the platforms mature a bit before I invest in them.

New hardware is expensive, and often lacks games.

Pretty comfortable with my decision to hold off on the next two systems at launch and see what pans out before taking the plunge.

#21 1 year ago
  22. viralshag

@OG, Well I have both consoles pre-ordered but I’m going to keep only one for sure. I just haven’t decided yet and I want to keep my options open until the full launch line up, policies and services are confirmed.

Even at the time when I was buying the 3DS I was seriously struggling to pick two games. I ended up getting an older Pokemon game and Ridge Racer.

Now, I would probably get the new Pokemon game, Zelda and a few of the RPGs.

#22 1 year ago
  23. mistermogul

I can’t frikin wait for Zelda 3DS – it looks sweet!

@17 – “Nintendo has never been about billions of polyplops tesselating their tits off”

You win quote of the day ;)

@ 20 – If you do, grab the XL, it’s much better imo…

#23 1 year ago
  24. viralshag

@23, I completely forgot there was an XL version. To be honest it’s not something I have given a lot of thought about but I’m just saying I wouldn’t be completely against the idea of it considering the games it has now compared to launch.

Believe it or not I started my gaming life with a SNES and bigger-than-a-brick GameBoy. I just lost interest in Nintendo once I moved on to the PlayStation.

#24 1 year ago
  25. mistermogul

@OG – I feel the same way as you now about launch consoles.

With the 3DS and it’s initial lack of games (not to mention the price cut 6 months later) I was annoyed but hey “it’s just one of those things”.

I hardly played the thing for the first 9 months since it launched but after that many new eshop and retail games started to take most of my playing time. I now love it!

However after also getting a Wii U (or should I say Wii-u-tanic?) at launch and it having an even worse fate than 3DS so far, I have also decided to not get any console in the future at launch, whether it’s Nintendo or not.

My PS4 can wait until early next year just so I know I’ll be 100% happy with it – and should be able to get some cheaper games by then too!

#25 1 year ago
  26. viralshag

@25, I was lucky I managed to get a full refund on my 3DS as I wasn’t sure about it and the GAME manager offered me a 30 day “trial” which I ended up taking. I came back two weeks late to find he had been given the boot (probably for offering people that deal which was supposedly for employees only) but I got my money back anyway.

I think I could definitely wait on the new consoles but I just know I wouldn’t stick to that and end up buying one sooner rather than later so I might as well just bite the bullet at launch and keep one of them.

#26 1 year ago
  27. dizzygear

Still no EU release date for SMTIV? meh

#27 1 year ago
  28. mistermogul

@26 – Nicely done with the 3DS though that definitely sounds like something Game employees are not officially supposed to do!

I know what you mean about the next gen consoles. I’m sitting here saying I’ll wait until next year but once the buzz builds and they are released no doubt I’ll be hunting down a PS4 in all the local shops!

#28 1 year ago
  29. monkeygourmet

They did? It’s sept 17th I think?

#29 1 year ago