Bayonetta 2: working with ‘perfectionist’ Nintendo is unnerving, says Inaba

Wednesday, 7th August 2013 10:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Bayonetta 2 producer has reflected on Platinum Games’ work with publisher Nintendo, calling the partnership both useful and unnerving due to the latter’s eye for perfection.

Speaking with Gamasutra – as flagged up to us by reader Joe Mushashi – Inaba said, “Working with Nintendo, one thing that comes out of that is that we’re not able to cover up weaknesses in the core gameplay by making the graphics prettier or adding cutscenes, or whatever.

“The concern, first and foremost, is the core of the game and the quality of the gameplay. They really have our back in that sense. And that’s actually a little bit unnerving, working with people who are such perfectionists in that sense.”

When asked if Nintendo’s involvement has caused Bayonetta 2 to change considerably as a result of this input, Inaba replied, “Actually the spec hasn’t changed at all. Really, Nintendo has been more as an observer, and really good to just let us do our work, but to point out some minor things throughout the course of development.”

In fact, it seems like Nintendo is giving Platinum Games a great degree of freedom, according to director Yusuke Hashimoto who earlier in the piece said, “In certain terms, there have been instances where there’s been feedback Nintendo brought to the game – where we come up with something and they’ll be able to play it and provide it with feedback that we’ve been able to use.

“You tend to get tunnel vision when you’re working on a game, so when suddenly this volley of advice lands from the outside, honestly, it’s refreshing.”

Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U-exclusive and is currently running at a slick 60FPS, according to the piece. According to Inaba the company wants to raise its own bar with the game and use it to steer where Platinum Games is going down the line.

Are you excited for the game? Let us know below.

1. KoojoPanda

I feel bad for Platinum; this and Wonderful 101 will surely be financial failures on the WiiU.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Rockin a Jack D

Can’t wait for Bayonetta 2. On a side note, PS/Xbox owners continue to weep…

#2 12 months ago
  3. backup

they deserve it

#3 12 months ago
  4. Agt_Pendergast

I’m excited for the game. Are people over the fact that it’s Wii U exclusive yet?

#4 12 months ago
  5. zinc

I sincerely hope that for their sake, it sells better than Mad World; their previous Nintendo exclusive :/

#5 12 months ago
  6. OmegaSlayer

Bayonetta 2 = the history about how Platinum shoot themselves in the crotch while aiming at their foot.

#6 12 months ago
  7. KoojoPanda

#7 12 months ago
  8. backup

they should make vanquish 2 wat a game that was simply awesome

#8 12 months ago
  9. viralshag

@8, I don’t know if you’re taking the piss or not but I agree with you.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

Yeah this won’t end well and part of me doubts there will be a third.

Considering what a certain someone said.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Francis O

Look at all these crybabies here. Instead of talking about the game being good, you guys are discussing sales cause it’s not coming to systems you own.

All your tears won’t make you feel better it’s a Wii U exclusive. And none of you guys are fortune tellers. Bayonetta wasn’t a success with the Xbox and PS crowd because they are more into shooters and online multiplayer.

Nintendo fans like single player experiences, so both The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 can have success. And since it’s being developed on one platform only, they don’t need to sell as many copies to make a profit.

Nintendo went on record saying a new Fire Emblem game on Wii U would only need to sell 700K to make it worthwhile. If a crappy game like ZombiU can sell over 500K on the Wii U as a launch title (not counting digital), The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 can easily reach 700K and be considered successful.

#11 12 months ago
  12. KoojoPanda

Tears, Francis? The only tears that will be shed are those who will be losing money on this horrific investment.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Francis O

@Zinc

Madworld sold over 700K

Platinum used that money to create Anarchy Reigns on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

And how much did the spiritual successor to Madworld sell? About 250K with a price tag of $29.99 on PS3 and Xbox 360 combined!

KoojoPanda

Whos losing money on this? Nintendo? I doubt it Pachter. Get a real job instead of playing VG247 analysts. Want to look up the sales of Platinums games on the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Cause they’re not that impressive.

#13 12 months ago
  14. OmegaSlayer

@10 What do you mean?

I still keep saying that Platinum should have kept Bayonetta2 in a freezer until the right time instead of putting it out in the desert of sales called WiiU where it will rot.

The ones who cheer and are grateful to Nintendo for having kept the game alive don’t really love the game, they just want to brag about it, since it’s the only title that will make their console useful.
    If you love a game you don’t want to see it going down the drain.

#14 12 months ago
  15. OmegaSlayer

@Francis

You better go yelling at the mirror, since you’re the only one that is in denial and must justify the purchase of a crap system.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Lord Gremlin

Well, I’m glad we’re getting it. Sure I’ll have to buy a Wii U (no reason to buy it beforehand as there are 0 games on it that interest me), but if you ask me what I’d prefer – no Bayonetta 2 at all, or Bayonetta 2 that requires purchase of an additional console – I’ll take the latter and say thanks.
    On a side note, I’m not sure this will work for Nintendo. Sure, I’ll buy a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. But that will be the only game for it. I will stick to PS3 and later this year PS4. If Nintendo sells Wii U for a profit though, it makes sense.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Francis O

Super Smash Bros
    Monolith Soft X
    Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
    Sonic Lost World
    The Wonderful 101
    Pikmin 3,
    Zelda
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    Super Mario 3D World
    Mario Kart

All say hi.

And nobody gives a shit what you think, I like the system you don’t. You can cry like a little bitch you’re not getting the game. I’ll play whatever I want and not worry about what system it’s on.

#17 12 months ago
  18. viralshag

@11, That has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Yeah, let’s talk about how great a game is that the majority of previous fans won’t be able to play because it’s coming to ONE system that almost no one owns.

Great.

And Bayonetta wasn’t a success? It sold nearly 2 million copies on the PS3 and 360 combined, slightly higher on the PS3. Both more than you 700k Madworld on the Wii, so I guess that was a failure?

#18 12 months ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

@Omega
    By what? The certain Someone? Kamiya said this game would have to sell well to warrant a Bayonetta 3: i assume he meant surpass the original or 1 million.

#19 12 months ago
  20. Francis O

PlayStation and Microsoft fans should have bought the game more if they thought it was so awesome. I know I bought it.

No Bayonetta wasn’t a success. That’s why Sega didn’t want to publish Bayonetta 2, Nintendo saved it. Most of those sales were when it was in the bargin bin, new IPs are expensive to develop.

Madworld is a SD game on Wii, it costed far less to develop than Bayonetta.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Lord Gremlin

@18 Look, you can just buy it with a Wii U like I’m going to. I bet there will even be a handy bundle of Bayonetta 2+Wii U.
    @17 To be fair, all titles you mentioned are of zero interest to me. And many people like me.
    You just gotta accept the idea that sometimes you buy a console for one game.

#21 12 months ago
  22. Lord Gremlin

@20 Speak for yourself. I’ve bought a Japanese PS3 copy day 1. Such a nice game. I remember months later most of my friend list on PSN asking for advises on getting trophies.

#22 12 months ago
  23. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Is it that time of month where Francis goes bat crap crazy? I wouldn’t talk about third party successes on Wii/Wii U: because there are few compared to PS3 and Xbox360.

Zombi U for your information failed Ubisoft said so themselves: so don’t use it to flaunt your delusional point. Zombi U 2 is cancelled because of it.

If you honestly think Bayonetta 2 will be a better success on Wii U than PS3 and Xbox360: you will be the one in tears.

#23 12 months ago
  24. Francis O

No interest in Smash Bros, Monolith Soft’s X, or Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem? Damn that sucks, those games are going to kick ass.

What games do you like to play, or interest you?

Legendarychump

And you might want to read the ZombiU interview again. The author wasn’t exactly truthful with what he said.

And like I said I wasn’t flaunting ZombiU sales as good. I was saying if a CRAPPY game like ZombiU can sell 500K, Good games like Bayonetta 2 can do much better.

Reading comprehension jackass….reading comprehension.

#24 12 months ago
  25. viralshag

@20, Now you’re just talking utter bollocks.

Bayonetta sold better than Madworld on both consoles. So it can be considered more successful on either system in that respect. And in reversal if it sells less than that on the WiiU it can be considered a failure.

“PlayStation and Microsoft fans should have bought the game more if they thought it was so awesome.”

Yeah just like MS and Sony fans should buy a WiiU to prove their loyalty and love to the game… Yeah, right.

#25 12 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

@17 “And nobody gives a shit what you think, I like the system you don’t.”

Francis, you’d do well to remember that sentiment with regard to the opinion of others. That door swings both ways.

JM

#26 12 months ago
  27. Francis O

I wouldn’t get so many replies if nobody cared what I thought Joe, now be a good boy STFU.

Nobody asking you to do a damn thing. Just sit there and b*tch you’re not getting the game. Nobody gives a shit you don’t want to buy a Wii U for Bayo2. I’ll make sure to enjoy the game for you.

#27 12 months ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “Reading comprehension?” Says the person who thinks “rely on” means sales: hypocrite. Oh so your a troll? I wish i could link a troll pic. Ok so if it was a success why is the sequel cancelled? Considering Ubisoft makes franchises not one-offs.

@Joe
    :) :D LOL :P

#28 12 months ago
  29. Lord Gremlin

@Francis O Quite a broad variety of games actually. I’m getting Killer is Dead, Tales of Xillia and Saints Row 4 this autumn/now. In general I love pronounced gore in games, it feeds that visceral feeling that you normally satisfy by watching dogfights or cockfights.
    As for SMT, I’m not really into SMT, but I love Persona. So far Vita and PS3 had that covered.
    As for sales, it all boils down to install base.

#29 12 months ago
  30. actuallyisnotafox

nintendo pretty much need this, they should hope each game is close to perfect in order to be system sellers but other than that i agree with a few of you, its going be hard sales wise for plat :/

#30 12 months ago
  31. viralshag

@27, To be honest the only jackarse here is you. YOU find it funny? Well, we ALL find it funny when you come here.

The truth is, you come here to try and “wind people up” in the hope that some will be bothered to come over to your own site and troll, thus giving you some page hits.

It’s why you keep coming back obviously, because no one actually bothers to do that.

“I’ll enjoy the game for you.” Nah, it’s ok. I preferred Vanquish and wasn’t that big a fan of Bayonetta anyway. Nice of you to think I care what you’re playing though.

#31 12 months ago
  32. Metroid455

while I agree that there’s certain level of platform Jealousy going on here, at the end of the day if you want Bayo 2 then buy a Wii U it’s as simple as that.
    As for sales However time to face fact, W101 will not be a big seller we know this even though im sure it will be a good game, even though im mostly a niche gamer the Wii U really can’t afford niche atm it needs big sellers and it needs them now!!

#32 12 months ago
  33. Francis O

Legendarychump, don’t change the subject. You failed at seeing what I was saying and now you side-stepping.

ZombiU sucked, I played through the whole game. If it was better, it would have sold more. Ubisoft might want to try adding multiple melee weapons, replay value, online, good animations, a good story, better weapons, longer campaign….you know, all the stuff they put into Assassin’s creed, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, and all their other games.

Dumba$$ never even played the game and trying to say it should have sold more. That game was lucky to even sell 500K.

You think I need any of you chumps to come to my site? LOL! I’m making that money without you guys! I didn’t link my site at all in this whole thread.

Like I said, I’ll enjoy the game for you…you can b*tch its not coming to a system you own.

#33 12 months ago
  34. Joe Musashi

@27 You get so many replies due to your aggressive and highly partisan approach. You’re inconsistent in your logic and reasoning, frequently display double-standards, ignore pertinent details that don’t fit your agenda and are highly inflammatory and needlessly confrontational. None of these are admirable traits.

The sheer amount of verbiage that you spew means that, thanks to the law of averages, you sometimes raise a point that has some worth. But it’s rare and often embedded in wonky context. Looking for those instances is like searching for a good bit of carrot in a particularly large puddle of vomit.

You’re a train-wreck. And train-wrecks always garner a response. Don’t flatter yourself too much Francis. You ain’t all that.

JM

#34 12 months ago
  35. viralshag

@32, I think everyone can admit they’re jealous. Of course they are. A poor selling console is getting one of the standout games of this gen and it’s disappointing that it won’t be played by a lot of the people that really want it.

If the WiiU was a decent console, it might be a bit more attractive but it’s really not and with the PS4/XB1 coming out there’s no reason to waste money on a third current gen console regardless of this one game.

#35 12 months ago
  36. Francis O

“You’re inconsistent in your logic and reasoning”

Like when you say we don’t own our own games.

- And I know I’m not all that, just much better than you’ll ever be.

#36 12 months ago
  37. Joe Musashi

Yes. You’re absolutely right. Because persistently presenting the same factual argument is the very definition of ‘inconsistent in logic and reasoning’.

Less talky-talky, Francis. More thinky-thinky.

JM

#37 12 months ago
  38. viralshag

Haha, what a chump.

#38 12 months ago
  39. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    No you FAILED at seeing what i was saying: “Rely on” doesn’t mean sales (I said rely on to makes games which you couldn’t read) no side-stepping was involved when you couldn’t prove i was talking about sales. So before you spout understanding “reading comprehension” Learn to read. The subject hasn’t changed i was using an example.

It wouldn’t have sold well even if it was better: for your information Francis i played the game at GAME and at a friends house so how do you feel to be wrong all time i mean?

I wouldn’t call me a dumbass when you think Bayonetta 2 will be more successful on Wii U, when you think “rely on” means sales and when you think people worrying about the franchise future are just “little bitches/whiners”.

#39 12 months ago
  40. Francis O

Joe

You’ve presented nothing to prove your point.

I own my games because I can buy, sell, or trade them all I want.

BTW you would be great at Microsoft.

#40 12 months ago
  41. Francis O

Legendarychump, you played the game at a friends house? LOL right. Then you would have known how bad the game sucks compared to AC, Far Cry, and Ubisoft’s other games.

And you sure as hell wouldn’t blame the Nintendo fan base for not picking up a game that lacks all the features modern games have like…….REPLAY VALUE, MULTIPLE MELEE WEAPONS, NEW GAME+, VARIETY…..you know…stuff that makes games GOOD.

“I wouldn’t call me a dumbass when you think Bayonetta 2 will be more successful on Wii U”

I said it will be successful, not more successful. One platform, less development cost, sequel not new IP. The game doesn’t need to sell as much as the previous game to be a success.

Nintendo said 700K for Fire Emblem to be worthwhile on Wii U. Its not crazy to think they could have the same success with Bayonetta on Wii U. Especially when a crappy game like ZombiU sold 500K.

#41 12 months ago
  42. Joe Musashi

But Francis, besides all of the real world evidence (millions of examples), two people told me it would happen. That makes it indisputable fact, right?

Anyway, your off-topic rebuttal isn’t relevant to the topic at hand. So, by all means, start a separate topic on the issue if you want to discuss it.

JM

#42 12 months ago
  43. Francis O

#42

Lets make a show out of it….Skype?

#43 12 months ago
  44. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Irrelevant: if a bad/horrible/crap game like Aliens: Colonial Marines can sell over 1.31 million then an average game (yes Francis average not crap) can sell well enough to warrant a sequel. (it didn’t)

You’re comparing first party development to third/second party development? What one takes to be worthwhile does not relate to other franchises.

#44 12 months ago
  45. OmegaSlayer

@Francis
    1- The games you mention on WiiU…I wouldn’t even touch them with someone else’s hands.

2- You should really calm down with your aggressiveness and language

3- I’m not upset for switching system, if Platinum would have said, we put Bayonetta2 on AppStore/Android/3DS because they have insane install base and we want to sell I wouldn’t have said a single word, but they put it on a consoles that doesn’t sell to keep the franchise alive.
    If you had a single neuron in your head you would understand how contradictory Platinum’s behaviour is.

#45 12 months ago
  46. viralshag

Talks about others need to reply to him, yet still comes back to reply even though no one would actually care if he did or not…

You’re like the overly annoying guy people don’t invite to parties but comes along anyway, makes a total arse of himself and then when it’s clear no one wanted him here in the first place makes a big scene about how “YOU ALL NEEDS ME, I DON’T NEED THE YOU!”

Then goes home alone to cry into his pillow.

#46 12 months ago
  47. Lengendaryboss

:D :D :D

#47 12 months ago
  48. Lengendaryboss

Calls us all “chumps/little bitches/whiners” and asks Joe to do a show: thats like sticking a knife up the backside and saying no hard feelings.

#48 12 months ago
  49. Francis O

Chump

- If somebody comes on a show with me, I’ll treat them with respect. You’re not being an internet warrior when you do something live or in front of a big audience.

How many platforms was Aliens Colonial Marines on? Yeah….a lot more than the one platform ZombiU was on. ZombiU is average game that didn’t deserve to sell 500K.

Omega

LOL! Right… if they were on the system you like you would play them. Salty tears will get you no where. My language is fine. I like pissing you guys off on threads about Nintendo games, its fun. I got enough Neurons to know that Bayonetta 2 wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Nintendo you dumbass. The franchise was going to die.

Viralshag

Horrible analogy…..all you salty teared b*tches shouldn’t be here complaining, Nintendo saved a game. You’re just mad cause its on a system you don’t want to buy.

#49 12 months ago
  50. OmegaSlayer

:) :) :)

This show stuff is so funny.
    If you remembered he raved about this with me a couple of months ago.

People that focuses posts on amount of insults has no concrete arguments.
    That is as old as the World.

#50 12 months ago
  51. mistermogul

Reading the comments on this site is both hilarious and scarily sad.

#51 12 months ago
  52. OmegaSlayer

Francis, please go back into the barn and keep milking bulls.
    Something white will eventually come out but it won’t be what you expect, but you’ll swallow it anyway because of your pride.
    Have a good job.
    Bye

#52 12 months ago
  53. Sini

nintendo killed Fatal Frame ip, now they’re killing Bayonetta ip.

#53 12 months ago
  54. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Nintendo Land sold 2.21 million and then NSMBU 1.98 million they both outsold it: So yes Zombi U could have done better regardless of your solo opinion. (Logic failed-VGchartz)

I do not give a shit about your show: stop fucking mentioning it when no one here gives a damn but you.

#54 12 months ago
  55. Francis O

Omega

Keep being a salty teared b*tch mad because he can’t play a video game on a system he likes.

Sini

Nintendo saved the Bayonetta IP, without them, we wouldn’t get this game.

Legendarychump

NintendoLand came bundled with the system and was a better game. New Super Mario Bros is MARIO! Of course it’s going to sell better than ZombiU.

ZombiU sold exactly where it should have. It’s not very good, has no replay value, co-op, mission mode, time attack, or anything really. Ubisoft didn’t even add different melee weapons!

Its short, can be beat in 8-10 hours, production value is low, its cheap. Watch Dogs, Far Cry, AC, look 10X better.

The game sold better than it should have.

And please, I’d be damned if you tell me what to do chump. I can talk about whatever I want.

#55 12 months ago
  56. KoojoPanda

Francis…you are just beyond words. I would put money on you being paid to defend the WiiU, or being clinically off your rocker. I would probably make more money on that bet than Platinum stands to make on this. It is just shocking how bad of a move this is, and your constant failure to recognize these things has got to be a form of insanity. That’s right ; I think you have lost your mind.

#56 12 months ago
  57. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    You’ve done it again misreading: do i have to spell it out for you?

If a crap game can succeed on two platforms with 1.31 million sales
    An average game can do better regardless of the quality of those two titles: they sold above a million and Zombi U could have beaten the 1.31 million figure.

But i’m speaking wrongly third parties can’t succeed on Nintendo platforms with mature/gory/violent games.

Misreading as usual i said no one but yourself gives a damn. read Francis, Read.

#57 12 months ago
  58. Lengendaryboss

I made that exact same comment about insanity.

#58 12 months ago
  59. monkeygourmet

@Topic

This backs up the conversation we were having the other day regarding Nintendo ‘fine tuning’ gameplay.

It’s nice to hear other dev’s comment on their input and what it is like working with the company.

I remember something similar with Luigi’s Mansion on the 3DS. It’s that fine tuning that is all important and what elevates a good game to a great game IMO.

@Everyone else

Why poke Francis, then complain when you get the same response as always?

Also, I can’t believe people are still upset about this. MS and Sony DIDN’T want this title. Nintendo put a ring on it. If Nintendo hadn’t, this game would probably not exist atall…

Also, why not play all the games that aren’t coming to Wii U and stop whining. So many people accusing gamers of being entitled, then they happily bleat on about Bayonetta 2…

Gaming history is full of franchises skipping between devices, FF going from SNES to PS1, same with Dragons Quest.

#59 12 months ago
  60. viralshag

@59, People don’t work for MS and Sony and it’s not their fault those consoles didn’t want the game, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be upset about it.

You all say you buy Ninty consoles for their games, this game isn’t one of those games and you really can’t expect people not invested in Ninty to go out and spend £300 or so just for one game.

It was definitely a misstep for Sony and MS on this occasion and definitely a good move by Ninty. I just don’t think Platinum made the right choice in rushing to get a sequel out.

#60 12 months ago
  61. polygem

@mg#59:

people would rather not have the game at all if it will only be available on a console they don´t own.

nintendo disturbed the peace on their little platform planet.

a mature game. a great one. on a nintendo platform. exclusive.

the whole world is shaking now.

it´s ubelieveable, short sighted and egoistic but that´s just how it is i think.

#61 12 months ago
  62. monkeygourmet

Only the premium is £300, although HMV and many shops dropped it to £249 with Zombie U…

A Wii U can be bought new for £149.

It will probably be pretty cheap 2nd hand by the time Bayonetta 2 comes out.

Pretty much! :)

Also, are people who want to play Bayonetta 2 seriously saying they wouldn’t even like to try games like:

X, Monolith RPG
    Wonderful 101

?

I would understand more if the Wii U was £429 like the Xbox One…

#62 12 months ago
  63. YoungZer0

@1: So it will be like every other game from Platinum.

#63 12 months ago
  64. Lengendaryboss

@Monkey
    Look at 11 he is the one poking everyone else for not agreeing with him, he started it not us. Calling people “crybabies, whiners, chumps and little bitches” is just ripe for a reaction: praise the game your getting and leave anyone else in comment thread alone with their predictions. Also MS/Sony shouldn’t have put a ring on it and neither should Nintendo: platform exclusivity on a former multiplatform franchise is unwise: it applies to every multiplatform franchise not just Nintendo poached ones.

#64 12 months ago
  65. viralshag

@61, That’s nonsense and please stop trying to make out like this is about Nintendo and not about the Bayonetta franchise.

If anyone is at fault it would be Sega who are the ones that dropped the title. And essentially, Nintendo saw an opportunity for a potential system seller which it is if it manages to get some of the hardcore Bayo fans to buy a WiiU.

Don’t romanticise this into anything but Nintendo essentially trying to buy new customers with a cult franchise. That’s exactly how it would be played out if this was another company publishing the game.

@62, That’s still £200 for one game. Not really worth it if you already own one or two current gens and are planning on getting a next gen console.

#65 12 months ago
  66. MrWaffles

@51 that’s one of the nicest things someone has said about our comments, thanks.

#66 12 months ago
  67. Joe Musashi

@59 “Why poke Francis, then complain when you get the same response as always?

Francis quite openly admits that he is the antagonist.

Here, let me give you a quote from within this thread:

“It’s fun messing with you jackasses, all I got to do is say something positive about Nintendo and all the trolls come flying out. It’s hilarious. Probably going to make a video on this comment section.”

It’s convenient to consistently overlook the poor (often shockingly poor) behaviour of fervent pro-Nintendo commenters like Francis and, in doing so, imply that his behaviour is the a result of others. But that’s simply not the case. He is aggressive and insulting. Making mocking names and [over]reacting with “STFU” statements. He gets what people who exhibit that sort of behaviour always get.

Liking [Brand Name] and being an asshole still makes someone an asshole. Objectively speaking, the former doesn’t excuse the latter.

JM

#67 12 months ago
  68. monkeygourmet

We’ll agree to disagree on this one! (re poaching) :)

Francis didn’t actually call anyone out, it was more of a collective jibe that people jumped on.

#68 12 months ago
  69. Joe Musashi

I’ve not read all of Dragon’s posts. Which are the ones where he jumps into a topic with aggressive remarks and accusations and persists in calling people names, insulting them and using more aggressive statements like “STFU”?

JM

#69 12 months ago
  70. Lengendaryboss

It still doesn’t excuse him saying it or saying that people are trolls because we don’t agree with him (Incorrect BTW). Yeah i commented on Dragon and Francis different methods of “Damage Control” as me and Francis come up with it. But sadly neither realise its damage control is what they’re doing.

#70 12 months ago
  71. Armitage Shanks

@51 Yup,it gets like this a lot on here,all the usual children and trolls come out “but my console/game/franchise is better than yours cos of X reason!!!” they never seem to get tired of it,it can be hilarious like you say but generally it is very very sad,like this thread here.

#71 12 months ago
  72. salarta

Inaba’s comments suggest the positive side of working with Nintendo, that Nintendo will give feedback on things to change, remove or add gameplay-wise. However, he doesn’t say anything about how involved Nintendo is with what happens to the game in terms of story and visual design, only the gameplay.

As such, we still don’t know the important bits. Is Nintendo “perfectionist” to the point of rejecting design ideas made by the team, or rejecting story developments the team wants to put in that could be considered mature content? Or is Nintendo actually giving them freedom now?

What happened with The Last Story, where Nintendo told Mistwalker that their original concept was “too dark,” suggests that Nintendo is likely also dictating how the story plays out and the overall feel of the game. And even on the gameplay front, Nintendo being “perfectionist” about the gameplay and making suggestions for stuff for the team to do may well be expressed in Bayonetta 2 having stylus auto-attack and tap touch controller screen support. It goes completely against the reason Bayonetta came into being gameplay-wise, yet it’s there.

#72 12 months ago
  73. monkeygourmet

Underhanded and snide techniques can be just as damaging as Francis’s outburst.

At least you know where you stand with someone like Francis, rather than getting stabbed in the back.

Also, as you can see in my above post.

I said it was:

‘Annoying as Fuck’.

I rarely converse with Francis 1-1.

#73 12 months ago
  74. Lengendaryboss

Neither a child nor troll.

#74 12 months ago
  75. Dragon246

“Still, it’s as annoying as fuck though, im with you there, Dragon employ’s the same tactic all the time.’

Its just that Mr. Dragon doesn’t get singled out by anyone except only 2 hardcore Ninty loyalists (Polygem, Monkey who apparently are just hurt that he tells everyone about numbers about Ninty,
    Sony and every other company, mostly Ninty though) every thread he comes in, while Mr. Monkey, Francis and Polypals gets pointed out by too many to count for what they are doing on ANY NINTY THREAD.

Also, I wonder why don’t these guys learn some consistency and put up some banners about buying Vita on Vita thread, like they do on “OH MY LOVE WIIU” threads.

Damn platform loyalists.

Spread the word.

@LB,
    You have a problem? Point out my exact comment. Sorry, but you engage waaay more with Francis than me, like yesterday.
    Sadly, you don’t understand that.

@JM,
    Thats me :D

#75 12 months ago
  76. Joe Musashi

I agree, stealth trolling and similar behaviour is nefarious and damaging. I guess I’ve not been targetted by Dragon so can’t say I’ve picked up on it.

JM

#76 12 months ago
  77. polygem

i still think the 3ds is the way to go nintendo platform-wise if you have to choose. that system just nails it now…wii-u: wait and see, but i wouldn´t write it off just yet. it has huge pontential, that´s for sure.
    can´t wait for the ninty direct this afternoon.

#77 12 months ago
  78. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon
    No problem at all, i do realise i engage with Francis too much your point being? I was referring to damage control as Francis called it.

#78 12 months ago
  79. Dragon246

@LB,
    “But sadly NEITHER realise its damage control is what they’re doing.”
    Please explain.

@JM(76)

#79 12 months ago
  80. polygem

Dragon, i can only give you this advice again. take a good look at yourself first. i tried several times to restart things and offered you a hand. you just can´t stop bullying and stealth trolling.
    still, no hate for you man. you´re here, you annoy the shit out of me but i can´t change that. it´s ok, but you really only get what you deserve. in fact, in my personal opinion. you are the only person on this page that is truly banworthy. you just play so damn unfair. it´s not cool.

#80 12 months ago
  81. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon
    Its self explanatory really but ok:

Francis says what your doing is damage control “These numbers are horrible, The Damage control going on by Dragon is insane. Rip Nintendo apart for the Wii U, then praise Sony for making far less money than Nintendo’s gaming division?” and plus look above that comment: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/01/sony-q1-financials-1-2bn-in-game-sales-vita-ignored-in-report/#comment-518244

I say with Francis “but when you defend Nintendo constantly, try to avoid the current situation and focus on the positive future (Yes Francis i believe the Wii U will have a positive future) and DAMAGE CONTROL every negative comment by the usual posters: thats what?”

#81 12 months ago
  82. Dragon246

Oh shit,the guy #80 thinks he can give advise on behavior to others after this.
    Oh, what the world has come to. I blame it on PETA :D

@LB,
    I don’t get it. So its your opinion or Francis’ ? He has some opinions about you too, which I don’t subscribe to.

#82 12 months ago
  83. polygem

“#82Dragon246
    07/08/13, 2:47 pm
    ^ Oh shit,the guy thinks he can give advise on behavior to others after this.
    Oh, what the world has come to. I blame it on PETA ”

see, the PETA part is just another desperate try. we´ve had this discussion before. you use it to troll me, then you deny it. cheap tricks.
    so thanks for for the link. (i knew you bookmarked it:) it proves that this is exactly your style. what i said there still stands. look at your try to piss all over mg there. that´s what you are constantly doing. constantly. a big bold fuck you is the least that you deserve.
    look at what you posted. you backstabbed again, posted a weird deathwish and then insulted disabled people…great record for just one thread. a fuck you well deserved.
    but i am just talking to a wall.

#83 12 months ago
  84. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon
    It isn’t really my opinion rather an overview to his and your activities here on VG247: its a better word to use.
    So bottomline its really what you two think of each other (with my insight on Francis just being the truth).

Couldn’t care less what Francis thinks of me, as it doesn’t matter: Francis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3_gfgiNz8

#84 12 months ago
  85. Bomba Luigi

I just hope it turns out good for now, I think about Sale Numbers when the Game is available to buy. One Thing after the other.

#85 12 months ago
  86. OlderGamer

It is a game they like to play Poly. Sad but true. I don’t even converse with them any more. I know that is why(trolling) a lot of long time reg posters have either left the site or reverted to lurking. Best to just let it go, they are not even worth the effort.

#86 12 months ago
  87. Djoenz

You know Gigahurtz and MonkeyGourmet constantly annoy the shit out of me, but that doesnt make them trolls.

Francis nor Dragon is a troll. You guys choose to be bitchy whiners about this.
    LB man after all this time you still putting energy into Francis? Get a room!

#87 12 months ago
  88. viralshag

To be fair you guys called up Dragons name in this thread where he hadn’t even posted so you can’t really complain if he decides to rock in to it now.

Whether he would have or not anyway is unknown but really, don’t call others out if they’re not involved and then get angry when they show up.

#88 12 months ago
  89. Dragon246

@Djoenz,
    Please don’t mention me in the same line as those guys, its annoying :D

@Viral,
    You make too much sense. +100

@JM,
    You wanted to see what they think stealth trolling is? Just read #83. Hilarious!

Oh, another Ninty loyalist shows up to chime in, not surprising in the least :D

@LB,
    While I still don’t exactly get it, we can bury the hatchet :D
    I just hope you don’t mention me with Francis, its annoying.

#89 12 months ago
  90. polygem

well i only responded to him. he dropped my name in his post. that´s why i responded to that.

i´ll take og´s advice (again) though.

i´ll watch the nintendo direct now and call it a day.

…waiting for the ignore button.

#90 12 months ago
  91. Lengendaryboss

@DJoenz
    Are you sure Francis is not a troll? His words:
    “Its the month I feel like trolling all the stupid f*cks like you on VG247…deal with it.” as for the whiny bitches: well he’s the one who called us that and prompted this argument he even admits it himself (See JM comment).

Oh please its not just me who does it (the majority of the time is a different question though): scroll through the first 50 comments.

If we did get a room: we would probably kill each other :)

#91 12 months ago
  92. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon
    It is confusing.

Not my opinion, what you two think of each other with some of my insight: better?

#92 12 months ago
  93. Lengendaryboss

Anyway i’m done: so i suppose the Nintendo Direct would be the next best place to go.

#93 12 months ago
  94. Dragon246

@LB,
    Lets forget this discussion.

#94 12 months ago
  95. monkeygourmet

@Dragon

Whats wrong with you?

Why would you post a link trying to call Poly out, but all it takes is someone scrolling up the article a few posts to highlight your behaviour.

Earlier in this post I mentioned you because Francis was employing a tactic you know only too well… Then you link an article where you display that EXACT behaviour… Smooth move…

Remember this nice little dig at me?

“Tradeoffs people. Not that I expect people who take months to build a off the shelf PC to understand that.
    Please continue.”

And, my riposte stands:

“You do you never mention my name when you are clearly referring to me? What are you scared of? Incriminating yourself?

You have no balls son and are looking more and more like the backstabbing troll you are.

Do you think your being that clever? You’re a snake….

Waits for your furious e-mails to Pat crying about mistreatment….”

…..

Who else were you refering to with that snide comment? I’ll happily apologise now if you can tell me who you were refering too?

…..

Francis was trying to goad people earlier with exactly the same tactic…

@Viral

I was just trying to draw parallels for JM as he was thought I was agreeing with Francis, just because I don’t challenge him.

#95 12 months ago
  96. Djoenz

@LB
    You unleashed the troll within :p

#96 12 months ago
  97. Lengendaryboss

#97 12 months ago
  98. viralshag

@95, All I’m saying is I’ve seen it many times when other people call out “negative” posters (I really don’t have much of a problem with Dragon) and then act surprised when they turn up and take the thread off-topic or downhill.

#98 12 months ago
  99. Brown_Inc

@Anybody

Is Francis O that overweight maladroit guy on YouTube that continues to ramble on and lose his temper about annoying but insignificant things? Such as the episode where he is called fat and continues to break his XBOX?

Just to head off some comments or questions, no I am not promoting the above questioned Francis, I am genuinely curious. If it is the same individual, I shall disregard everything he says as it has no credibility or relevance except for shameful entertainment value (if you find that kind of thing humorous?).

#99 12 months ago
  100. Lengendaryboss

Thats him yes.

#100 12 months ago
  101. Rockin a Jack D

Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2. Without them there would be no Bayonetta 2.

Therefore, the game would never exist if Nintendo didn’t fund it and would it never be on Sony/MS systems anyway. You can thank Nintendo there is a Bayonetta 2!

Why can’t people comprehend this?

#101 12 months ago
  102. Joe Musashi

@99 No. They are separate people.

I believe you’re referring to this Francis. Francis is a satirical persona of the YouTube uploader called Boogie2988. A lot of what this Francis does is for show – the responses to his antics from those that don’t know that this is deliberate play-acting is where the real comedy is at.

Francis O is a different person. He is “Furious Francis” and belongs to a gaming website that he has self-promoted on this site more than once so I choose not to name or link to it directly. On the site’s ‘About Us’ page he is referred to as the “Owner/Editor-N-Chief”.

JM

#102 12 months ago
  103. Lengendaryboss

@Joe
    My mistake then.

#103 12 months ago
  104. Joe Musashi

Don’t sweat it, Lengendaryboss. This discussion is littered with them. ;)

JM

#104 12 months ago
  105. salarta

@101: But whether or not it’s a good thing that Bayonetta 2 exists is a matter dependent upon how it shapes up with Nintendo’s influence over it. It could be a praiseworthy move for Nintendo continuing a great franchise, or it could be a sign that Bayonetta 2 should never have been made if it meant catering to Nintendo’s whims. We’ll see.

#105 12 months ago
  106. Lengendaryboss

@101/105
    There are a lot more reasons than that, but i’m personally not bothered to go over it again.

#106 12 months ago
  107. monkeygourmet

No fucking way?! Hahahaha! You seriously thought it was that big fat guy?!

That’s hilarious! I’ve linked Francis O’s stuff abit at the start when people were trying to get ‘his style’. It’s completly different to the fat guy that smashes Xbox’s up. :D

#107 12 months ago
  108. Lengendaryboss

Well similar names and you don’t know the man behind the keyboard: and honestly it would have made sense.

Your just left to assume.

#108 12 months ago
  109. Joe Musashi

@107 Crediting Francis O’s behaviour as a “style”? Good grief.

There is no style to ‘get’. It’s not complex, and it’s certainly not subtle. He even calls himself ‘Furious’ as he goes about openly antagonising others. It’s telling that you persistently overlook the glaringly obvious whilst concocting apologist excuses for such behaviour.

JM

#109 12 months ago
  110. monkeygourmet

Shtick, style, gimmick whatever…

In reality, people wouldn’t be able to get through life operating like that 100% of the time. It’s an act, like wrestling.

If people really want to take him so seriously, that’s worrying. You mentioned Santa doesn’t exist the other day, nor does Furious Francis…

I view Francis as a ‘caricature’ as that’s how he portrays himself on here and on his YouTube. Other people don’t have that luxury. Apart from maybe Clup and his opinion pieces on his YouTube.

Yeah, I just find it amusing you had that fat guy image in your head when you were replying all this time! :)

It makes a good point though, maybe we should resurect the ‘show yourself!’ Thread in the forums. I wonder if half the people I argue with look anything like I imagine. Maybe we should all post pics of ourselves again? I missed the last one as I was a newbie.

#110 12 months ago
  111. polygem

that´s indeed funny!!!

because they are really very different in appearence and “style”

no shit LB?, you are kidding right? after all your fights you never actually watched his youtube? i only did that once but i cannot resist stuff like that.

i tried it before, noone really wanted to join…let´s make it happen finally?

#111 12 months ago
  112. monkeygourmet

I’m in, I’m just not buying a tee! :) can link my Facebook or whatever.

#112 12 months ago
  113. Lengendaryboss

@Polygem
    Nah i’m not that interested: pass by that channel a few times before joining VG247: not my cup of tea to be honest. For comedy i stick to TV more variety there (although the quality is dropping)

But actively watching daily or weekly? Nope.

@Monkey
    To be honest these are three scenarios i pictured him as:

If you’re eating or anything don’t look at this pic, i mean seriously sick material here.

And if i’m in a good mood:

#113 12 months ago
  114. monkeygourmet

Now that’s just naaaaaaaasty! :)

#114 12 months ago
  115. Lengendaryboss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCR9ffx8kv0 :D

#115 12 months ago
  116. BrahManDude

i hope the 3rd one goes next gen

#116 12 months ago
  117. smashbrolink

Wow, so many haters still haven’t gotten over this?
    Cry more, people. You know you’d be singing from the hilltops while still looking down on Platinum if they release this for all consoles just because they’d also make a Wii U version.
    You’re not fans of the game if you’ll discard it as trash due to the system it’s on.XD

#117 12 months ago
  118. Lengendaryboss

You couldn’t be any further away from the truth than you already are.

Worried does not equal hate: read don’t assume.

#118 12 months ago
  119. monkeygourmet

The game looks awesome, I posted HD feeds from E3 a while back, looks like a great extention to an otherwise dead series.

What is there to worry about?

It looks fucking incredible if you ask me! :)

#119 12 months ago
  120. Clupula

@110 – Oh, my videos are purposely designed to be somewhat of an exaggeration of how I really am. There’s no lying in them, but I do play up certain aspects of my personality from time to time to put on a better show. They’re meant to be humorous, for the most part. It’s a very dry humor that a lot of people probably won’t get, filled with in-jokes and obscure references, but it’s my sense of humor, anyway.

And I’d actually be very amused to see what everyone looks like.

#120 12 months ago
  121. Lengendaryboss

Um look over the first two page comment section: or i’ll summarise:

“this and Wonderful 101 will surely be financial failures on the WiiU.”

“There is no “getting over” the terrible platform placement of this title. It’s downright cringe worthy. Even if the WiiU was half successful, it’d still be misplaced.”

Oh nothing is wrong with the game itself.

#121 12 months ago
  122. monkeygourmet

Thats me!

Photo from Sonar festival in Barcelona a while back. Fantastic experience and some incredible music.

I can’t rate this music festival enough. :)

Also, you can’t quite see my favourite ‘Gin and Jew’s’ T Shirt:

first party games on the established PS3 sometimes don’t deliver on there forecast, it doesn’t mean the studio will go under.

Platinum will be fine, and, maybe if people were really worried, they could support their games and fork out £149 for a Wii U?

#122 12 months ago
  123. Lengendaryboss

Apples and Oranges in that scenario.

Also won’t do a lot of good.

#123 12 months ago
  124. monkeygourmet

What do Nintendo do though?

Go, sorry guys, we’ll cancel B2 because not enough people own our console?

It’s happening now, the price for the console is good, and there are plenty of games across all genre’s for it. If people still don’t want it, well, they just have to miss certain titles.

Like I said, Platinum will still be okay after the launch of these 2 games.

Vanquish sold like shit, as did a lot of there titles, doesn’t mean it’s going to bankrupt them.

#124 12 months ago
  125. Lengendaryboss

You can look at it like that.

Its a very complicated situation.

What they should have done originally is very simple.

#125 12 months ago
  126. monkeygourmet

What, and not purchase a game for a console that they had no idea would struggle?

I don’t think Nintendo thought the Wii U would struggle as much as it is, and Platinum would have been groomed by Nintendo before the Wii U’s launch.

It was a gamble, but sometimes thats just the way it is.

Either way, the game exists because Nintendo courted them. It may have had a release down the line on X1 / PS4, but that isn’t able to be proved.

We can only go on what has been presented to us.

#126 12 months ago
  127. Clupula

@122 – Ah, so there you are. Now, I have a face to put to the text.

As for Sony first party titles, most of them do make their forecast. It’s just stuff like Playstation All-Stars that, I think, most people saw was going to flop from the very moment they started adding in D.I.N.O. and the Big Daddy, who didn’t belong in the game. It became very transparent.

Same with Twisted Metal, which was more multiplayer-focused when the majority of Twisted Metal fans I knew always thought the story was one of the more important aspects of the series (especially after Twisted Metal Black).

And finally, God of War: Ascension, which did nothing the fanbase wanted or needed. A God of War 4 that takes place after 3 and doesn’t spend half of its promotion time on multiplayer will probably do very well.

Otherwise, stuff like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Gran Turismo (which I still don’t understand the love for), and Last of Us tended to go above their initial forecasts.

#127 12 months ago
  128. Clupula

@125 – Platinum Games are guns-for-hire. They go where the money is, even if only one of their games (Metal Gear Rising) has ever made any. Nintendo were willing to pay Sega and Platinum, so they made it for the Wii U. Hopefully, in the future, there will be ports of it, but this is Sega, and they don’t have the greatest business reputation.

But even if Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 flop, which they probably will, that really wouldn’t be any different from any of Platinum’s other titles, save Metal Gear. I love Platinum Games, but then again, I also love Suda 51, and none of their stuff is going to sell. That’s just one of those sad facts of life. Of course, putting it on the Wii U means it’ll sell even less, but let’s not pretend that a multiplatform Bayonetta would do Call of Duty numbers.

#128 12 months ago
  129. monkeygourmet

I know it’s just certain titles, I didn’t want to look like im using Sony as an example really.

I just think a lot of this is just: sour grapes from fans. You should have seen the Kotaku article on death threats etc…

Some could see this as desperation from Nintendo’s perspective in gathering ‘hardcore’ support…

It will be interesting how the Atlus deal goes, i’m watching that like a hawk! ;)

#129 12 months ago
  130. monkeygourmet

Thats what I was trying to say.

It was a niche title at best.

#130 12 months ago
  131. smashbrolink

I DID read.
    A ton of it wasn’t worry; it was purely hate-based reasoning that the game would fail due to its host system.

What few comments that did demonstrate any “worry”, as you put it, were virtually drowned out.

#131 12 months ago