Xbox One & Xbox 360 cross-gen games have separate achievements

Tuesday, 6th August 2013 09:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and Xbox 360 cross-gen titles will have separate achievements, so all of the cheevo-hunters out there can get more score by completing both versions of the same game if they really, really want to.

Speaking as part of an IGN ‘Ask Me Anything’ session, Xbox One architect Marc Whitten Said of the dual achievements, “Every game has its own set of achievements, so if you’re playing Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox 360 and on Xbox One, you can earn a separate set of Gamerscore in each game,”

“But on the Xbox One version, you’re getting a much richer set of features, such as seeing your achievements progress on the Xbox One console, being able to unlock new achievements throughout the year, and earning real prizes inside and outside of the game.”

Would you actually, ever consider doing both? Let us know.

Thanks OXM.

1. Aullah

Well… thats just stupid.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Ekona

Seems like a good idea from a publisher POV. I mean, if there are people who care about cheevos that much that they’ll buy the same game twice, then more fool them.

#2 11 months ago
  3. xxJPRACERxx

“Would you actually, ever consider doing both? Let us know.” No, there’s no way I would pay twice for a game just for the stupid achievements.

#3 11 months ago
  4. locus2k1

Those ‘Cheevo hunter who will buy the same game three times from different regions to earn the same achievements three times over must be very excited by it :D

At the same time I guess it makes sense, if MS plan to have a new and swanky Achievement system for XBox One (Honestly cannot remember the specifics… something like Publishers can add more achievements down the line to a game without DLC or something…) then having it separate form XBox 360 Achievements would help reduce any possible issues.

#4 11 months ago
  5. rbevanx

I have done this with PS3 and Xbox 360 sometimes but I won’t be doing this for Xbox 360 and Xbox One, as I plan on getting rid of my 360 and will get a lower completion average as DLC will be added all the time on both.

#5 11 months ago
  6. schnide

Translation: “Yeah you can, but please buy an Xbox One!”

#6 11 months ago
  7. MCTJim

never been an achievement guy other than the stuff that unlocks when I have no idea what I did. But, to the people who love their achievements, its something more for them to do on each platform.

#7 11 months ago
  8. bradk825

The story here for most of us is that the upgraded achievement system means achievements don’t carry over between consoles except in the form of gamer score, they don’t apply to the same game on the other console.

But let’s be honest, there are some people out there who are frigging thrilled that they can get the game for 2 systems and complete both sets of achievements.

#8 11 months ago
  9. bradk825

Just realizing: The ability to add achievements, the timed challenges and the community challenges are going to save me money.

How? Glad you asked.

Altought I’m not someone who dies if I don’t get them, I like goals and the achievements are fun for me. Adding them after release gives me new goals, the challenges are going to do the same, and I will play each game longer and won’t have to buy as many games to keep things fresh and fun.

#9 11 months ago