Skyrim wins best game of the generation in Amazon poll

Monday, 5th August 2013 14:28 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has topped Amazon.co.uk’s poll to determine the generation’s greatest game. Agree?

The poll was voted on between June 1 and August 4 by customers, and operated in a tournament system.

Skyrim beat fellow semi-finalists The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves to claim the mantle.

Here’s a breakdown of the tournament table, scroll down for a larger version:

other games involved in the shortlist were Fallout 3, GTA 4, BioShock, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Batman: Arkham City, Far Cry 3, BioShock Infinite, The Walking Dead and Metal Gear Solid 4.

What do you think of the final winner? Let us know below.

Thanks MCV.

1. Citrus raptor

Well, that’s taste for you. It’s a good game, but it doesn’t even reach my top ten.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Sadismek

Out of the semi-finalists, I would’ve picked Red Dead Redemption the winner, but I have yet to play TLoU. I highly doubt that it can change my mind about RDR though.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ekona

Can’t really argue with that result.

How FC3 made it onto the shortlist though, I’ve no idea. GTA4 is a more rounded game than TLoU though, in my eyes.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

Where was Two Worlds 2?

#4 1 year ago
  5. mistermogul

Skyrim is good but not the best of this gen imo.

In fact I’d pick most of the other contenders over Skyrim…

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

No Souls games = No shit given (Though kinda surprised by TLOU’s performance).

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

Generation ain’t over. Polls…

#7 1 year ago
  8. Beta

An excellent game, I do love TES series. But personally I would have gone with Red Dead or Uncharted 2.

Overall they’re more polished and less glitchy experiences.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

@4 Pretty sure you’re kidding there Dave, but my buddies and I played the shit out of the co op :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. TF_PtMaster

How this is possible?

A game more patched than a MMA fighter, wins game of the generation, when the generation is a little bit far away to end?.??????

These polls are so funny

#10 1 year ago
  11. silkvg247

Oh great, so this is basically a big shout out to devs everywhere that we love shit slow clunky unresponsive combat.. woo

#11 1 year ago
  12. Cobra951

@10: It was the never-ending terminal bugs that eventually soured me to the experience. I would have loved it otherwise.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

@10 LOL :) :D

Personal favourites are GTA IV, The Last Of Us, Red Dead Redemption, MGS4, Uncharted 2 Among Thieves maybe Uncharted 3 Drake Deception, Max Payne 3.

In no particular order.

Future: MGS V, (GZ+TPP) GTA V, Watch Dogs.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

LOL :D :P

#14 1 year ago
  15. TF_PtMaster

BTW, i loved Skyrim.

But he is not even in the first 20 best games i’ve played this generation. I think Demons Souls and Dark Souls are far far better games.

Top 5
    1-The Last of Us
    2-Zelda: Twillight Princess
    3- Uncharted 2
    4- Journey
    5- Halo 3

#15 1 year ago
  16. GwynbleiddiuM

laughable! Shop keepers (and publishers) crying for this generation to end for 3 years now. News flash, ain’t over yet and it wont be for at least another year.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Robbins

Skyrim has an advantage being multiplatform, which makes TLOU’s performance all the more impressive.
    Personal top 10
    1.The Last of Us
    2.Uncharted 2-3
    3.Bioshock/ Bioshock Infinite
    4.Mass Effect Trilogy
    5.Red Dead Redemption
    6.Portal 2
    7.Journey
    8.Bayonetta
    9.Fallout 3
    10.Spec Ops: The Line

#17 1 year ago
  18. VibraniumSpork

I wonder if people were voting for this purely for the epic sense of scale it offered, which – don’t get me wrong – was quite an achievement. Still, that’s what turned me off to the game; my life’s (unfortunately) too busy to be sinking 50-100 hours into a game these days, and Skyrim seemed to demand exactly that kinda level of commitment. I played it for maybe 10-20 hours and then really felt the urge to move onto something else.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Hcw87

Any game that you can play for hundreds of hours, and you can still find new things to do and explore deserves this recognition.

Pretty sure that GTAV will be the true game of the generation at the end of the year though.

#19 1 year ago
  20. actuallyisnotafox

1) Fallout 3
    2) Metal Gear Solid 4
    3) The Last of Us
    4) Heavy Rain
    5) Broken Sword Shadow of the Templar’s

thats mine anyway :’) and certain people they prefer Morrow Wind, so I guess we cant count on the majority of amazon gamers :p

#20 1 year ago
  21. KineticCalvaria

It’d be Red Dead for me, fantastic fun.

#21 1 year ago
  22. domnage

This poll should be renamed to “Best Game of The Generation Before GTA V Was Released”

#22 1 year ago
  23. SlayerGT

@19 It’s gotta a shot to be sure. Can’t wait!

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

#24 1 year ago
  25. Aullah

Im just glad that TLoU did not win.

#25 1 year ago
  26. salarta

On the one hand, there are many games I’m really glad are not represented in the poll. On the other hand, these are all games that are popular, and popularity does not = best, only best of the popular games. Out of this list, having not played some of the games, I would place either MGS4 or Portal 2 at first. Mass Effect 2 would be third. I definitely wouldn’t put Red Dead Redemption before MGS4. And I’d include games like The Last Story and Xenoblade for starters.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Judicas

Wow looking at which games were voted through during the earlier rounds it sure looks like they had a whole pile of muppets voting :P

#27 1 year ago
  28. polygem

the top 5 (in no particular order):

demons souls
    hotline miami
    mario galaxy
    plants vs zombies
    halo reach

#28 1 year ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

:D :D :D

#29 1 year ago
  30. macronia

am i the only one who think that skyrim sucks ?!! it was boring , as a PC gamer i would choose bioshock infinite / bioshock 1 , maybe witcher 2 !!

#30 1 year ago
  31. SplatteredHouse

Meh. Of the shortlisted, I would probably have picked one of CoD4, Mass Effect 2, or TWD.

#31 1 year ago
  32. bradk825

Skyrim was great but I think for the time it was made Oblivion was a little better put-together. I found Skyrim’s main quest line a little lacking when compared to secondary quest lines like the Dark Brotherhood, thieves guilds etc.. It should have stood out from the pack as far as all the quest lines in the game, but it was only about “as good” as the rest I’d say.

There are also some notable games missing from the contest altogether like The Orange Box and Dragon Age Origins. Doesn’t seem like it was very scientific. That said, Skyrim was a great game.

#32 1 year ago
  33. SplatteredHouse

@30 it was dull as dishwater for the most part. There’s a difference between expansive/spacious, and vacuous. Skyrim snuggles to far too great an extent near the latter.
    While I thought it was fun to explore the game’s landscape and world and the early combat wasn’t bad, you quickly gather what underpins the game, and it’s a swiftly forming monotonous progression system, which WILL become increasingly apparent as you reach higher levels.

The game actually gets worse, less fun to play, as you get more time put into it – and that, really, ought to be inexcusable as a point of design shortcoming.
    Interesting to find the previous poster reference Oblivion, because I think it managed to escape a similar fate, by virtue of being more focused. Morrowind may be “last gen”, but it ends up stronger compared to both (especially Skyrim) as it’s much more of a game, than an attempt at an “experience”.

#33 1 year ago
  34. salarta

@30: I wouldn’t say Skyrim sucks, but it definitely shouldn’t be called the best game of this generation. The only fun in it is running around and exploring on your own, and even that starts to feel dull after a while. I really don’t grasp what makes everyone see it as so godly, the freedom to run around and do whatever you want loses a lot of its appeal when the characters all feel fairly bland and the choices just feel like typical quest material.

The only aspect I can imagine fairly justifying all the buzz for Skyrim is openness to modding.

#34 1 year ago
  35. macronia

@33 totally agreed , unfortunate that i didn’t play oblivion and morrowind , alot of people thanks the latter , wish i picked oblivion or morrowind instead of skyrim ;)

#35 1 year ago
  36. macronia

@34 maybe i lost the appeal in open world games after playing these only type recently , maybe i will try it again after some linear straight forward games :)

#36 1 year ago
  37. Darksider123

Oh man, that’s sad. I guess every man to his own taste

#37 1 year ago
  38. fearmonkey

Kind of surprised Fallout:New Vegas wasnt in there, it was actually a better game than Fallout 3, at least story wise.

I can agree with Skyrim, It is an amazing game.

In no particular order, loved them all.

1). Skyrim
    2). Deus Ex:Human Revolution
    3). Alan Wake
    4). Fallout 3 series
    5). Two World’s Series
    6). Bioshock Series
    7). Mafia 2
    8). Mass effect series
    9). The Darkness Series
    10). Borderlands 2

Honorable mentions go to The Witcher series, Kingdom of Amalur:Reckoning, Fable 2, Portal 2, Fear 2, Mafia 2, Dishonored, Saint’s Row: The Third, Assassin’s Creed series.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Dark

Far Cry 3 was a contender? LOL!

#39 1 year ago
  40. UuBuU

Skyrim isnt even the best Elder Scrolls game this generation ~ although Oblivion doesn’t really deserve to win either considering how flawed the vanilla game is

#40 1 year ago
  41. fihar

I was mindlessly strolling through Skyrim the other day when I stumbled into a cave called Halldir’s Cairn.
    What I found inside that cave was waaaay more than I bargained for and I honestly can say that for all their faults, Bethesda do know how to pull you in. These little discoveries are what Skyrim is about. Who cares about shitty combats and buggy engines?

Of course, that photo with the note ‘Forgive Us’ written in the back on The Last of Us still stands as quite possibly the best gaming moments I’ve had these past few years.
    Although in all honesty, I’d put L.A. Noire in contention. The Homicide desk alone puts that game above most of the games I’ve played this generation.

#41 1 year ago
  42. TheWulf

It’s very unexpected seeing Two Worlds in fifth, and that’s about all I have to say about that.

#42 1 year ago
  43. KineticCalvaria

@42, I know, it’s terrible. :P

#43 1 year ago
  44. Biscuitpants

games good but bioshock is better

#44 1 year ago
  45. Bowser

Oblivion would be my pick. I found changes to the series made in Skyrim to be a definite downgrade.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Agt_Pendergast

I think I just threw up a little.

#46 1 year ago
  47. DSB

Portal 2 was pretty special to me, instant classic. The Walking Dead and Bioshock weren’t very far behind.

Skyrim was great, but it ultimately traded quality for quantity. Some of the main quests are still bugged

#47 1 year ago
  48. 2021vince

dont get me wrong i like skyrim but i think either mgs4 or tlou should have won

#48 1 year ago
  49. Vice

Man, I’m glad none of those shit console exclusives won. I mean RDR? Have you even PLAYED this borefest?? It comes nowhere even remotely close to Skyrim! The Last of Us? Haven’t played it, but it simply can’t be awarded a game of generation award, no matter how good it is, simply because it’s a PS3 exclusive. Generation means available to everyone (aka PC or multiplatform), not just to owners of one system.
    As about Skyrim… Well.. Yeah if we talking about fully modded PC version, then I kind of agree. Even though for me personally it’s Mass Effect 2.

#49 1 year ago
  50. OlderGamer

Minecraft comes to mind for contender of the generation. Most of those games on the list aren’t anything I would enjoy playing. Most of them are about the experience, and as such are often tightly controlled story lines that often have to you being held by the hand going from one scripted event to the next. That isn’t a game, imo, it is an evolution of fmv.

I can see why Skyrim made the grade, but it was way too rough around the edges and glitch filled to win out. Most of my top games over the generational cycle ended up being on PC. Civ V is prolly my top pick.

#50 1 year ago
  51. KineticCalvaria

@49, Red Dead and boring don’t go together, it’s far from it. You can’t judge The Last Of Us because you haven’t played it and you’re clearly just being a pc elitist.

Also generation refers to a generation of consoles along with pc, so it can be on any of those individual platforms. Skyrim is nowhere near game of the generation, if anything was a snooze fest its that, making it prettier doesn’t help it become fun.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Dave Cook

I thought Red Dead was boring, but it’s more a gripe with sandbox in general, I still think it was a colossal achievement. To deny that is pretty mad.

#52 1 year ago
  53. KineticCalvaria

@52, I have that general feeling about a lot of open world games but I thought Red Dead was awesome, beats GTA any day for me.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Christopher Jack

Take 2 has 4 games there, impressive.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Joe Musashi

Given Bethesda’s shoddy (to put it lightly) management of the issues that plagued Skyrim and their lack of transparency, I exclude the title from any accolade race. It is not an example that should be looked up to.

Of the games that I’ve played this generation, I’d probably point to Portal as the game that represents the generation the most:

- Technologically sound, using realistic physics and the ability to peek through your portals to see beyond them. Doubtful that either were achievable to such a degree prior to the current gen.

- Excellent writing. An aspect of game development that has really come to prominence this generation.

- Available digitally. Again, an area of gaming that has become the norm from this generation

- A great game, an original concept, flawless execution. Whilst not my personal favourite it is recognised as a classic and rightly so.

- The rise of the indie developer. Originally conceived as Narbacular Drop by students at Digipen Institute, Valve caught sight of the game, showed interest, and employed the team behind it – combining and nurturing their talent with established members of the Valve team.

Yeah, I think Portal is a great game and a great representation of this generation’s gaming.

JM

#55 1 year ago
  56. Llewelyn_MT

I’d vote for GTA5 or BioShock. Anyway, polls like that should be held 5 years after the generation is over, otherwise it’s biased.

#56 1 year ago
  57. backup

wow a copy pasted game wins lol
    TLOU is miles better

#57 1 year ago
  58. MadFlavour

A poll of morons.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Kuwabara

You can’t really say one game is the best, most of those titles offered something unique. To me Demon souls was the most immersive game, to the point where i felt like i was actually in that world, same as portal 2, uncharted 2 was the most edge of your seat game and most wow factor and probably best looking game, god of war 3 was the most epic in terms of what the game achieved at the time with interactive levels and boss fights, red dead had the vistas and the most satisfying ending, just when you think the game is going to end it continues in a way like no other, skyrim had awesome ambient music and soundtrack that made exploration with grand scale even more beautiful, fallout had the awesome vats and exploration, last of us has some of the best graphics to date and probably the best tense mood atmosphere. Mgs4 and gta4 are also great. Flower and journey made me the most happiest with intense joy, journey most awe inspiring.

But i can’t see why everyone has ditched uncharted in favor of last of us. I think the majority of people who voted last of us as their best game have not played much stealth games or even the uncharted series. I have yet to play survival mode, so that may change things. I do however put Joel on the same level as drake.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Dongers GamerK

1- CoD shouldn’t be there. i think Fallout 3 should win, but it’s ok every game that is in there is good (except CoD, you can call me a hater i don’t care) :)

#60 1 year ago