EverQuest Next works on older PCs, needs to be “kickass” before PS4 release

Saturday, 3rd August 2013 18:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EverQuest Next was announced during SOE Live yesterday, and while currently only slated for PC, it may eventually make its way onto PS4.

Speaking with Shack at the event, franchise director Dave Georgeson said the team needs to make sure the PC version is “kickass” before hitting another platform.

“We need to make sure that it’s a kickass game on PC before we do anything else,” he said. “We’re going to nail down all our questions and design and everything like that so that it’s a really good game. Then we’ll talk about other platforms.”

The game is also controller-friendly, according to Georgeson, which was an accident instead of intentional.

“It was never our intent to make a controller friendly game,” he said. “But when we decided to minimize the number of buttons you can use to just one hotbar, it almost accidentally becomes controller friendly. That’ll be a cool thing if and when we get to [a PS4 version]. The fact that it doubles for controllers is just a bonus.”

Since the title uses a modified version of the ForgeLight engine, the game will be scalable for older PCs, much more so than PlanetSide, said Georgeson, due to the team “shooting for much lower system specs.”

“Our goal is to be able to allow people with 4 or 5 year old machines to be able to play,” he said.

SOE is currently accepting beta applications for EverQuest Next.

1. Erthazus

That’s why we have only 8 buttons in our hotbar.
    4 for abilities and 4 for weapons.

Casual stuff. In WoW I have 20 hotbars + Macros and I use them all the time.

+ all parkour in the game will be automatic… =/

#1 1 year ago
  2. SlayerGT

Yay PS4! Schweet :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. Crussong

@1 Could you just please.. not.. crying? The game was just announced, geez. Why already comparing to the dying WoW.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

7.7 million subscription is a dying mmo? Are you high or what?

I’m comparing because WoW was the first that tried to make more simplistic gameplay then Everquest 1 or 2.

enough is enough. Everquest Next should be better gameplay wise then first or second but not behind them.

#4 1 year ago
  5. sebastien rivas

I agree and that is a great tool to utilize a keyboard over pad only. The gaming experience and mechanics can be furthered. That is a main point to RPG games that isin my opinion and experience hard to transport to consoles, yet, not unfeasable.

cheer :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Guild Wars 2, FireFall and various other games give only a handful of abilities and they aren’t on Consoles. Stop with this Console make casual games. If you thought this game wasn’t going to be on PS4 you are a fool.

#6 1 year ago
  7. actuallyisnotafox

oh no I completely agree, spent your time tuning it on pc then bring it over, with all the time and resources theyll have through the months and years im sure it will only get better :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. EdgizAwesome

Erthazus’s idea of a good game: 758 Different buttons cluttering your ui and destroying any idea of immersion, months of grinding to even be able to reach entertaining content, oh and also if you have a life you must be punished in-game. Seriously sick of the WoW kids with their stupid attitudes towards what makes a good game. If you like the way WoW does something….shut up and go play WoW.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Kreion

The immersion argument is pointless in MMO’s, don’t make it. The only thing you can feel immersed into is that it itself is a virtual world, otherwise you’ll be hard pressed to explain the ‘LF2M x-raid, must have achives’ to your immersion.

Now lets look at your insult, WoW kids. Given you’re talking about old-school WoW ideas of lots and lots of farming rather than the newer stuff which is more accessible, they are going to have been playing from at least 2005. So they probably aren’t kids.

That’s not to say that consoles are the only reason MMO’s have gone away from having a lot of buttons. The original GW only allowed you to use so many the same as GW2 and quite frankly having all those buttons on the screen isn’t necessary per say. In combat you only really need so many skills, more or less dependent on your class but you rarely need all of them.

Still, I do think that if you are going to give people a 1-+ action bar then you should give them the choice of having all they want on the screen.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Christopher Jack

The whole 20 hotbars+macros thing is ridiculous. I love choice but that just seems too much. I think 12 changeable abilities is about perfect. Otherwise you’d probably be better off smashing & rolling your head against the keyboard to achieve anything.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheWulf

I’ll try and keep this simple. Mostly to show how entirely ridiculous snobbish PC users can be (whom I dislike as much as snobbish console owners, both of whom are cut from the same cloth).

“Casual stuff.”

Erth’s ‘logic’ dictates: Street Fighter II was a tremendously casual and EZ-mode game because it only had six buttons.

“In WoW I have 20 hotbars + Macros and I use them all the time.”

“[...] all parkour in the game will be automatic…”

Do we have any evidence of this?

So, you reckon the userbase dropping by over half (15 million down to 7 million) in a short period isn’t anything to worry about? Okay then.

Though you’re going to stick your head in the sand and ignore the decline of WoW for what should be a rather painfully obvious reason to anyone: WoW wasn’t released for consoles, this will be. Therefore, WoW is the greatest thing ever, and this is awful.

You’re a very easy person to read.

With that out of the way…

Couldn’t agree more. And I’m actually glad that console owners are getting MMOs, that’s awesome to me. I’ve always said that I want to see the barriers between systems come down. This fucking ridiculous stratification has to end, it really does.

I mean, look at how people have been acting in regards to PS4 versus the Xbox One. They left their sanity at the door the moment this all started, it’s just a giant mess. But likewise, I don’t want people making comparisons with the PC, either.

They’re just things we play games on.

The only reason I choose PC is because I like open platforms, I enjoy being able to tinker with ini files and install mods. That’s fantastic stuff, and I really hope that one day console users will also be able to tinker with their games in such a way, and use mods.

But yes, I’m just getting really tired of this stratification. I’m tired of having to be defensive around elitist console owning pricks, and I’m sick of having to strike down poncy, snobbish PC owning jerks.

@8/10

Pretty much. The amount of buttons in a game isn’t any indication of how good it is, and frankly, it’s a testament to outdated gaming ideals. The best kind of gaming experience, in my opinion, is something which feels intuitive and works on the fly. And honestly, I can’t listen to anyone who’d genuinely say that WoW requires more skill than TERA with a straight face. I’d just point at them and laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

And likewise, I couldn’t listen to anyone who’d claim that TERA requires as much skill as, say, a good arena shooter (like Quake III).

Different games require different degrees of skill. But right down there at the bottom you have WoW, a game where you stand there and press buttons. A game which could be exclusively played by pecking birds and addons. That’s hardly indicative of skill, but then you have WoW players who genuinely believe that spending hours of their life poking buttons is a valid replacement for skill.

Frankly, it would be hilarious to see Erth play VVVVVV. Now that is a game of skill, and it only requires one button that isn’t the movement keys. One. I wouldn’t put money on him lasting any longer than 5 minutes on the easiest parts of VVVVVV. And I could easily hear him complain about how VVVVVV is a terrible game with shit controls, because he’s obviously so skilful due to being a WoW gamer, so it has to be the game’s fault.

I’m sorry. I can’t help but make fun of anyone who claims that anything about WoW requires skill. It really doesn’t. It requires time. Time !== Skill.

#11 12 months ago
  12. TheWulf

All of that out of the way…

I hope they actually allow for cross-platform servers on this. That’d be really awesome. I could then actually play a console-released MMO with some of my console owning friends.

Down with stratification. :I

#12 12 months ago
  13. TheWulf

And really, I don’t mind games having a limited amount of buttons myself, I never did. The only time it ever bothers me is when the game is so easy that you can just spam the limited amount of buttons to win.

That’s the difference between Assassin’s Creed and Street Fighter/Portal for me. Having a limited amount of inputs doesn’t mean the game is going to be bad. Having a limited amount of inputs which you can spam to win does. Another example? Prince of Persia had limited inputs, but it had manual parkour, whereas Assassin’s Creed automates the parkour based upon button spam. You don’t need lots of buttons to make a good game, you just have to make player input matter.

So whilst I have complained about two-button spam with Assassin’s Creed, it was never that it was two buttons that bothered me, it was that you could spam them to win with immediacy that did, since you could spam them to make the game play itself. The same argument I make against WoW, since with WoW you can spam keys/faceroll/have them hit by pecking birds and use addons to play that game.

I guess I just don’t like buttonspam-to-win games.

I like games which require skill.

That’s my necessity.

A lot of buttons doesn’t mean that something requires skill. A lack of buttons doesn’t mean something doesn’t have any skill involved. And vice versa. it’s really down to how well the inputs are used. Like I said, VVVVVV is a one button game, but it’s clearly much harder than Assassin’s Creed.

WoW is a game you can pretty much win with keyspam, and it encourages it to a degree by having so many keys to spam. But you can have keyspam with just two buttons.

Give me a game with meaningful inputs any day of the week.

Anyone with me on that?

#13 12 months ago
  14. manamana

@thewulf narcissist much? Really, try another hobby.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

“I’ll try and keep this simple.”

Hahahahahaha.

“Mostly to show how entirely ridiculous snobbish…”

Lecturing about other people’s snobbism is snobbish.

“What Erth doesn’t tell you: Most of those abilities are just different ranks of the same abilities, and slight variations of the same abilities, which could be instead handled by contextual use and combos. Like in, say, a good fighting game.”

Ranked variations of most abilities were removed from the game around Cata, as well as skill ranks altogether.

At least half the classes in the game right now also have some sort of resource management / comboing system built into their design. Making *every* class play with the exact same mechanic would be fucking stupid though.

“But right down there at the bottom you have WoW, a game where you stand there and press buttons.”

You beat The Twin Emperors by “just standing there”, huh? Your tank beat Naxrammas without learning the Safety Dance, did he? You beat the raid content by just standing in the fire, hmm? You completed the Healing raid boss by just “pressing buttons”? Impressive.

“The same argument I make against WoW, since with WoW you can spam keys/faceroll/have them hit by pecking birds and use addons to play that game.”

Unless you beat Vanilla and BC raid content when it was originally released, or Wrath and onward raids on heroic mode, I can safely say you’re talking through your ass. Heck, Pandaria *NORMAL* Mode raids are the most challenging that entry level raids have been since the Burning Crusade days.

Solo content in WoW isn’t meant to be hard. Even then, they *have* been added challenging solo content of late, such as the Brawler’s Guild and Proving Grounds.

As for limited hotbars vs. many hotbars, both have their advantages and disadvanges. Limiting how many moves you’re allowed to use at any one time is great for balancing and greeting diverse strategy though, for obvious reasons.

Guild Wars 1 was one of the most balanced MMOs ever, and it never allowed more than a few buttons at any one time.

#15 12 months ago
  16. DSB

Goddamn.

#16 12 months ago
  17. machy

WoW it’s dying u know it I know it everyone knows it

#17 12 months ago
  18. sebastien rivas

I think we are all talking about one singular subject here.
    We are all talking about what is good immersion in a mmorpg.
    When many and myself included talk about 25+ little icons or ui on screen. It means nothing else than a singular experience that all enjoy in RPG in general which is immersion through the power of choice through lengthy line or tree of choices.

Now, indeed, the least little buttons on screen, the better we all feel but regardless on gui pollution on screen the idea remains the same, bring us more and more choices because each and everyone of us feel unique and so our “toon” or character shall be; hence Balance or assymetric Balance.

The complexity of choice is a decision making that involves me more into a RPG or in this case a mmorpg. One clear instance was Star Wars Online pre SOE, the difficulty at which to progress a class was such that obtaining that goal was like christmas for a young child and so as a result the story seemed much, much much deeper!
    Another instance was effectively the introduction of combo hit in Conan Of Hiboria Online when a series of succesful hits would end on a special combo hit. And boy, it felt special because I must say it… I a old keyboard spammer :)
    I also loved Everquest for their class and character diversificaction.
    And I loved Wow (in old days) for their ambient atmospheric and easy to read through quest system.
    I liked a lot the GPvP system in Warhammer.
    I loved Magestorm back in the days for its quick pace and group oriented pvp.

Though there are elements in mmo I just cannot bear, not even a bit.
    I cannot stand waiting to form a group for a donjeon.
    I cannot stand waiting for a Raid to finally occur.
    I cannot stand having a arrow in front of me to tell me “heyy your quest is there”, what is the point in reading it then?

Now I am pretty sure there are tons of elements I forgot to mention in the pros but these were the few.

What about you? What do you intend to see in a mmoRPG?

Cheer, ;)

#18 12 months ago
  19. Erthazus

Someone really don’t understand how gameplay in WoW works. Okay.

Firefall gameplay is WEAK and that is because of 4 abilities and it is more action oriented game compared to WoW.

I’m not saying that there should be million buttons, but 20 buttons in WoW makes SENSE that your character has a lot of abilities being an 80 LEVEL character.

#19 12 months ago
  20. Jaclie

The amount of complete ignorance about current wow that is being spewed forth in the comments breathtaking.
    @17 People like you have been saying that since late burning crusade, shhhh you just sound stupid.
    @The Wulf- What is your definition of short? Cause wow Peaked out at 12 million, not 15, and that was around 2008-9 – They came into mists at 10, dropped to 7.7 now when it is nearing the end of an expansion cycle, Which Happens EVERY DAMN TIME, Near end of an expansion, less users.
    Good try, that shit went away if I remember right, mid wrath. so again 08 – 09.
    If you want to sound smart about something, get some current facts about that something, otherwise you sound foolish.

@19…err it goes up to level 90 now

@8 “months of grinding to even be able to reach entertaining content”
    I take it that it has been Years since you played the game, if ever.

@1 —- 20 bars. I take it that you don’t really play because with the 5 bars readily available on the default UI you can already hold 60 abilities, and Macros are designed so you need Less buttons not more. If you used some addon to make Even more bars, you would need Every ability available, And macros for them all and some mounts and some trinkets and loads of useless things to fill all those buttons.
    in my single target rotation I use 7 buttons. (I use 3 for Aoe rotation)
    There are a fair amount of situational abilities. Cooldowns, oh shit buttons and the like.

It is an older game now. With 4 expansions, Of course there will be some button bloat.

Different games take varying degrees of skill.
    More buttons, less buttons have nothing to do with that.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@70 Indeed. With maybe a few exceptions (Affliction Warlock, holy shit overkill!) most DPS rotations can easily be fitted on a single bar. Everything else is mostly situational.

It’s easy to tell who the people with genuine complaints about WoW are, and the people who are hating just for the sake of hating and being negative. I’m not going to claim the game is perfect, but it sure it sure as hell is in a far better place right now than it was in Cata. Cata made me quit the game for a good year.

Good point about the drop off near the end of the expansion. I didn’t even think of that. Didn’t the end up Cata drop to about 8 million, before jumping back to the 10 million range? And this content is coming out faster than ever, so we might be seeing the next expansion as early as Christmas.

#21 12 months ago
  22. viralshag

Another pad controlled MMO… well I NEVER saw that coming!

#22 12 months ago
  23. dcarnage

Quite the change from everquest 2. Most endgame players run with this many skills/spells/macros on their hotbars.

#23 12 months ago