Wargaming acquires Total Annihilation and Master of Orion franchises

Friday, 2nd August 2013 12:23 GMT By Dave Owen

World of Tanks developer Wargaming.net has purchased the Total Annihilation and Master of Orion franchises from Atari. The firm also announced it will be opening up a new office in the US.

The purchases come as a result of last month’s Atari IP auction. It seems that Wargaming successfully beat off competition from Monday Night Combat developer Uber Entertainment for Total Annihilation and from Stardock for Master of Orion.

Wargaming boss Victor Kislyi has apparently said that the games it will develop for both franchises will be “big triple-A, massive titles with all of Wargaming’s power behind them.

“Total Annihilation and Master of Orion are strategy game classics,” he added. “Although it’s too soon to disclose any details, we are more than willing to give a new lease of life to these games most of us grew up playing. It’s exactly where our major focus will be.”

I must admit that I’ve never played either franchise, but this news seems to be reason for excitement.

Wargaming said its new office will be located in Austin, Texas and will cover the following divisions: Producing Center, Central Technology, and Global Business Intelligence Groups.

1. Llewelyn_MT

Shit… So much for Master of Orion 4, welcome World of Masters of Orion.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Deyja

#1 Don’t you mean Master of Orion 3? If i remember correctly, there only is 2 games in that series.

Also Dave you really should give them both a go, you are missing out on very important videogame history.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Old MacDonald

#2 You remember wrong, there are three.

As a big MoO2-fan, I am not optimistic. They’re no doubt going to make it online & F2P, and that is not at all what I want.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Deyja

#3 Seems like it went above your head. It’s a joke to say there are only 2 games in that series due to how shitty the third one was in comparison to the previous two.

#4 1 year ago
  5. foofly

Didn’t they buy Gas Powered Games? If so a Total Annihilation sequel would be most welcome.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Llewelyn_MT

@OP: I totally missed you never played MoO… Must have been the effect Terry Pratchett’s Death was using. I just can’t fathom a game journalist who hasn’t played one of the best strategy games ever. Master of Orion is the best strategy game I’ve ever played. Get it on GOG now! MoO2 is my personal Top 5 strategy.

@Deyja: Master of Orion 3 was quite good actually, but you’d have to sink hundreds of hours into it to start enjoying it. It had a ton of incomprehensible micromanagement which pretty much killed it, also for me. The first 2 games were simple yet complex, the third had great ideas but it just made it too bloated.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Old MacDonald

4: “Seems like it went above your head.” – Yes, either that or the joke didn’t work. You just looked like yet another misinformed person attempting to “correct” someone else.

Can’t really comment on the quality of MoO3. But there was something deeply fascinating about the depth of it all. I remember there were some other space strategy games that attempted similar things.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

I would never call MoO 3 “good”, but it did have it’s moments.

My memory of it is that every turn felt like you were filling out paperwork, the UI was abysmal, and you had to think so far ahead in everything you were doing because it moved so slow.

And there was zero room to really relax and enjoy it, because the AI was so aggressive that they’d likely be preparing an invasion as soon as you were.

To me the thing that made MoO 2 so damn good was the fact that it was designed with just enough minimalism to stay immensely engrossing while still keeping up a decent pace.

It borrowed from Civ in the best of ways.

I’m still amazed whenever I reinstall it to see how well it still plays. It’s like X-Com or Civ, it’s practically timeless. It’s no wonder the designers of MoO 3 were stumped.

#8 1 year ago
  9. fearmonkey

I want a true total annihilation sequel so bad, but it simply MUST have downloadable units. That was what made the game so exciting for me.

Thanks to the downloadable units, 4 people could be playing ARM or CORE and have completely different strategies, compared to games like Starcraft that had a set amount of units and people typically used the same ideas.

And….Krogoths were awesome!

I bet Chris Taylor is beside himself with happiness.

#9 1 year ago
  10. pk_warmoo

Hi Master of Orion 2 Fans!

Moo2 is still being played online. After so many years we are still active community and new players are coming.

I would like to invite you on irc chat channel #moo2 on quakenet server.

There are some good mods also, please check http://www.warmoo.com :-)

Challange old veterans!