Final Fantasy 7 web series faces legal action

Friday, 2nd August 2013 09:09 GMT By Dave Owen

Last week a Kickstarter campaign appeared for Final Fantasy 7: The Web Series. It seems that Square-Enix isn’t too happy about it, as they’ve now threatened legal action.

An update to the campaign page shows the letter from Square-Enix in full, which states that the project infringes copyright and demands it be removed from Kickstarter immediately.

Under the name ‘President Shinra,’ the campaign runners have responded to say “We’re in the process of opening up discussions with the team regarding the ongoing status of our project and hopefully the continuation of our Kickstarter campaign.”

At the moment, it isn’t looking good.

Thanks, AGB.

1. silkvg247

Square: We don’t want to give anyone anymore FF7 awesomeness
    Fans: It’s an awesome story, we want to make our own content for free
    Square: OMG LEGAL ACTION TIME

#1 9 months ago
  2. redwood

square knows that they can’t write for shit anymore,,, so they will never let the fans make something that mgiht ridicule Square’s writers.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Stardog

@1 Free? Apart from asking for thousands of dollars.

#3 9 months ago
  4. silkvg247

@3 Can’t view the page now of course but my understanding was the crowd funding was to get it produced and not for profit.

If there is actual profit involved then I can understand Square’s stance, failing that, they’re just being dicks.

Don’t get me wrong I think the web series looks awful personally, and am not interested, but I hate to see creative freedom being squashed by greedy corporations.

#4 9 months ago
  5. povu

I’m all for fan mods and stuff, but what did they think was going to happen with a crowd funded movie? You can’t just go around making movies based off existing active IPs and ask money for it too.

At the very least you should check that stuff with the publisher in advance, as I’m sure the Nuka Break guys did for their Fallout series.

It wasn’t going to go unnoticed forever and if it happens to slip by Square Enix long enough for the Kickstarter campaign to finish then a lot of people would have wasted their money.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Clupula

Come on. Did anyone else not see this happen before they even read anything more than the headline of that Kickstarter? What did they think was going to happen? I don’t feel much sympathy for them, really.

#6 9 months ago
  7. silkvg247

@6 I don’t feel any sympathy, and I fully expected it to happen. Doesn’t mean I agree with it though. I mean where do you draw the line on things like this? What if I wanted not-for-profit crowd source funding to paint “unofficial” Disney characters on the walls in childrens hospitals?

Same result, I’d get legal action taken against me.

I am sorry but it’s actually quite disgusting. If fans appreciate what you have created, you should thank them for spreading your brand, not throw lawyers in their face.

Making a *profit* from other peoples IP is is a different topic entirely, though.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Clupula

@7 – I don’t think they would have even showed up on Squeenix’s radar if they hadn’t started asking for money for a Kickstarter.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Sini

ROFL didn’t they say SE was ok with it during kickstarter vid heh

#9 9 months ago
  10. silkvg247

@8 Funds to create stuff != profit, though.

Is it bad to ask for crowd sourcing to deliver something big?

If they had stated “proceeds going above required production costs will go to a charity” then it might have worked out better for them, I guess.. though actually no, Square want to protect their IP even though they clearly have no indication of ever using it again.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Clupula

@10 – When it is somebody else’s ip, you can’t really do something that high profile. If they had just written Cloud/Sephiroth slash fiction on a website somewhere, I doubt they’d even get a single notice. But this was them asking for money to do something they weren’t legally authorized to do. Right or wrong doesn’t factor into it. What does is that they got themselves noticed. And that lawyer time for Squeenix.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Blackened Halo

I hope FF7 Web series wont be released …Squre Enix FTW!!!

#12 9 months ago
  13. TheMedici

It’s not the first time Square Enix does that. FF7 is her crown jewel, they won’t let anyone mess with that. Why do you guys think they made a remake of FF10 and are thinking about a FF12 remake but not a FF7?

#13 9 months ago
  14. salarta

@10: “Square want to protect their IP even though they clearly have no indication of ever using it again.”

That’s actually what I had said at one point in time about the Chrono series when they were dickish enough to send cease and desist letters to the group that was remaking some parts of Chrono Trigger into 3D, and then they re-released Chrono Trigger on DS.

That actually reminds me of the bullshit saga Squeenix pulled over the Chrono series that I forgot about. Fans of the Chrono series were making fangames of Chrono Trigger, and the 3D one was the only one that got any kind of cease and desist action under the idea that the company was protecting their IP. Then the Chrono Trigger DS re-release happened, and a vice president at Squeenix later claimed that sales of that DS port of the PS1 version with half-assed content tacked onto it needed to be higher to justify any new work. That vice president literally said that anyone wanting a sequel or spinoff of the Chrono series had to buy more copies of a game they already owned (whether because they owned the SNES or PS1 version, or already bought the DS re-release), to make it happen.

And then Squeenix started sending cease and desist letters to everyone else making fangames and fan sequels. But only after the DS re-release didn’t sell as much as they wanted it to sell. And they haven’t done a thing with the Chrono series since that DS re-release.

Though frankly, I’m happy they haven’t done anything with the Chrono series. I’m absolutely certain Squeenix would ruin it or let one of their Western branches ruin it for them. In fact, I consider Toriyama forcing time travel elements into 3rd Birthday and FF13-2 to be signs that he really, really wants to have an opportunity to ruin the Chrono series like he’s ruined Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy, but hasn’t been granted the chance, so he’s forcing some of the ideas he had onto other IPs.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Digital Bamboo

Probably for the best, considering how the fan film was shaping up.

Saw a comment on another message board about this that made me smile:

“If anyone is going to destroy what’s left of the Final Fantasy 7 legacy, it’s going to be us damn it!

-SquareEnix”

#15 9 months ago
  16. salarta

@16: I admit, I literally laughed out loud at that.

#16 9 months ago