Xbox One cloud processing gives Forza 5 600% more AI capability, says dev

Thursday, 1st August 2013 12:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s cloud processing is said to give Forza Motorsport 5 a 600% AI capability boost, according to developer Turn10.

Speaking with OXM, the game’s creative director Dan Greenawalt bigged-up Forza 5′s Drivatar feature, which creates smart AI ghosts based on how players drive, and then plonks them into the game as opponents.

He called the use of Xbox One’s cloud processing to create the mechanic a “tremendous opportunity” and added, “When you’ve got a learning neural network, more computing power is nothing but helpful. Because what you’re able to do is process a lot more information, and you don’t have to do it in realtime on the box. And that frees up more of the box to be doing graphics or audio or other computational areas.

“So we can now make our AI instead of just being 20%, 10% of the box’s capability, we can make it 600% of the box’s capability,” he went on. “Put it in the cloud and free up that 10% or 20% to make the graphics better – on a box that’s already more powerful than we worked on before.”

600% is a big increase so I’ll leave you decide if this is realistic or not. Either way, are you excited for Forza 5? Let us know below.

1. Pytox

rocket science

#1 1 year ago
  2. monkeygourmet

600%

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

I wonder where they get these numbers from?

#3 1 year ago
  4. rbevanx

And this is why I want an always online future, I want my games to improve by not having to upgrade all the time with a new console or PC but through data online which can do the processing.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Call me stupid, but couldn’t this be done on 360 / PS3 now?

This game doesn’t require ‘always on’ (or does it?), so all it’s doing is downloading ghost AI data from a source and adding that into the game?

I know it’s a bit more advanced than that, but can someone give me a solid good reason why this would not be possible now?

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

What is it actually doing? I thought it was analysing your racing and creating a drivetaar. Is the cloud then controlling all your AI opponents when you play or do you download the Drivetaar definition from the cloud and does that get interpreted/controlled locally?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Anderson

Nothing but PR rubbish.

If this is what gets people excited then I must be in the minority. As long as the cars can drive in a straight line I’m happy.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DrDamn

It’s more complex than a simple ghost as it is AI, it won’t just follow a line, it’ll react to the current environment. However what you’ve said is true. Any game can make use of cloud computing, what MS are doing with X1 is making it part of the Live network and presumably providing it at lower cost to devs/publishers.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

I still find it hard to make head nor tail over.

How do they balance difficulty? Does the downloaded AI get suplimented with AI on the disc?

Obvioulsy it has to react to the player, so it can’t be completly streamed as it wouldn’t know what the player was going to do. For it to react, it has to be a hybrid of player ghost data and playstyle coupled with AI on the disc?

I may be talking rubbish here… :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

I think it goes something like ghost data is translated to an AI definition and that AI definition should be able to perform similarly to the ghost. Standard AI would just be similar Drivetaar definitions I believe. So you can have crap Drivetaar definitions along with great ones for variable AI.

I still don’t understand where the big cloud benefit comes in beyond storage and supply of drivetaars. This saving to processing. In terms of defining your Drivetaar couldn’t they just record race data (like they already do for the replay anyway), then process it post race in the loading screens etc? It doesn’t need to be processed during the race.

If the cloud is actually controlling your AI in race then that’s different. But is it really going to do this? They’ve only previously talked about using friends drivetaars, not the cloud controlling them.

#10 1 year ago
  11. tezzer1985

It’s a car racing game, how complex do you need the AI to be, it’s PR rubbish.

Why aren’t they using or saying Ryse is using 600% AI improvements, to not make the game fill scripted, the power of the cloud, means your play through will be different each time, enemies will use different strategies & not fill the same, same with Dead Rising 3….BUT NO, the Cloud improves a racing game AI.

Can’t believe you guys fall for this PR bullshit

#11 1 year ago
  12. Max Payne

@3 From Ass.

@11 Agree with that

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

:) ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. gameoholic007

So, what happens if don’t connect your X1 to the internet, you lose that 600%, and go back down to 10-20%? That’s pretty weak when developers aren’t depending on the consoles hardware to deliver you a game. Lame. =/

#14 1 year ago
  15. Fin

Yes this can be done current-gen consoles.

Put the logic on AWS/Cloudformation/Rackspace, boom, you’ve got X1′s “next-gen” cloud power.

600% is such a bullshit number. 600% more capability? Fuck off, why not 1000000%, seeing as the cloud is infinite?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

But, but, but the power of the cloud: it is rocket science stuff man ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. Joe Musashi

Blast processing!

JM

#17 1 year ago
  18. SlayerGT

After all this it’ll be disappointing if the AI is indistinguishable from Forza 4.

#18 1 year ago
  19. xxJPRACERxx

One thing is certain: The AI in Forza is much, much better than the AI in Gran Turismo.

So that cloud thing, their servers analyse tons of statistics and create an AI definition. When they say 600% I presume it’s the increase in the number of variables that are calculated or something similar.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Christopher Jack

The amazing power of the Cel- I mean Cloud!

#20 1 year ago
  21. MrWaffles

Not impressed.

600% = all good comparing it to current (shitty) AI, but it’s nothing that couldn’t be done using another cloud service.

Yes, it seems they’re the first one to do it on this scale, but there’s nothing stopping Gran Turismo or Mario Kart from doing the same thing.

Kartvatar anyone?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Kreion

@15 because the cloud isn’t infinite.

It runs of serves, so it can never be infinite, if you want them to stop using hyperbole then stop using it yourself.

I feel like the kind of game I want the best A.I on is a strategy game…but unfortunately they don’t really suit consoles all that much. Oh well, I doubt I could tell the difference in A.I between a racing game on next gen systems and one ten years ago.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@3 “I wonder where they got that number from…”

I could tell you, but it won’t be pretty…

#23 1 year ago
  24. The_Red

Gotta love arbitrary numbers. Unless they are talking in terms of IQ for normal intelligence (Which itself is questionable), this is just dumb. Of course these are the same people that came up with “Drivatar” so…

#24 1 year ago
  25. OmegaSlayer

The power of the cloud makes me lol 600% more.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Cobra951

@19, really? Good God. The GT AI racers must just bounce off the walls all around the track then, because the FM4 AI is abysmal.

Without credible specifics, I call bullshit on this “600%”. Any claim can be pulled out of thin air when there is nothing for skeptics to examine.

#26 1 year ago
  27. laughing-gravy

Oh god, not this cloud bollocks again! Give it a rest.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Major Mayhem 70

Who gives a damn? Forza 5 is looking better than Forza 4 and Forza 4 looked gorgeous. Can’t wait to download this game. As far as the cloud is concerned, I hope it works as well as they believe it will. Every success that X1 or PS4 achieves is a plus for us “the gamers”.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Cobra951

@28: I give a damn. Will the game play correctly offline or not? Does it need to be online for the AI to be good enough to be enjoyable? Is this whole “cloud processing” the same bullshit that Sega’s “blast processing” was? I care very much about the answers to these.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Hcw87

Use your brain a little.

If you game offline (who does that in 2013?), the AI will behave just like todays racing games.

If you’re connected, the AI is constantly updated by pulling statistics/characteristics from other REAL drivers around the world, and incorporating it into the driver AI. Therefore, it will behave more human-like.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Major Mayhem 70

@29 my bad bro. I guess I should have said “I don’t give a damn”. Cause I don’t give a damn. I’ll be downloading the game and my system will be online. The only answers I need now is the release date… Hope you find your answers.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Major Mayhem 70

@29 Looks like 30 gave you the answer you were looking for. Not much luck for me though, still wanting a release date….

#32 1 year ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Again: Why can’t this be done now?

Why is this a ‘next gen’ feature?

#33 1 year ago
  34. darthroseman

CLOUD! NUMBERS! What the hell does he even mean by this? How is this something you can throw a percentage on? This is dumb. Working in software development, I find this statement to be ridiculous.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Ireland Michael

@29 All this system is is an AI based on your driving. It looks at your ghost data and creates an online ghost based off of it for others to race against.

A fun idea, but not exactly the revolutionary, “infinite power of the cloud” hyperbole it’s being tooted as. Virtua Fighter 4 was doing stuff like this… a decade ago.

#35 1 year ago
  36. DrDamn

So was Forza (well in 2005)

#36 1 year ago
  37. Ireland Michael

@36 Indeed.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Hcw87

Probably has something with the ”300.000” cloud servers or whatever they’re implementing for next-gen.

Obviously, using the cloud hasn’t been on MS/Sony’s mind this gen, except for cloud saves.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Fin

The cloud isn’t infinite? Well fuck, maybe MS should stop lying.

“In a closed-door meeting called “Xbox 101″ attended by GamesIndustry International, the company stressed that Xbox One has “the computational power of more than 10 Xbox 360 consoles,” and that “the cloud brings infinite additional processing power.”"

#39 1 year ago
  40. lookingglass

In the testing of PCs with specs as close as possible to those of next-gen consoles, the PS4′s 50% GPU core advantage yields a 25% performance increase not 50%. With the XBO’s more custom architecture, its performance will likely be better than a PC analogue.

So the PS4 is looking to enjoy a 10-20% performance advantage over the XBO. That is, until the XBO is connected to the cloud.

If grass, trees, water, weather, AI, physics, or lighting can be offloaded to the cloud, one, many, or all, the performance gap goes from a blurry PS4 lead to a clear XBO lead.

Think of Netflix streaming. Now imagine you only streamed the grass, trees, and sky from the movie and put them into a game world. Imagine the quality the supercomputing cloud could offer. It would render a professional CGI level game world and then just stream you the parts you need.

Granted, it will take a few years to figure out how to do it well, but rest assured XBO games are going to get better in ways we can’t yet imagine over the next 5 years.

#40 1 year ago
  41. sh4dow

600%… not 601% or 599%?
    I want to see data that backs up that figure.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Ireland Michael

@40 You’re going to end up incredibly disappointed in a few years.

#42 1 year ago
  43. monkeygourmet

And what happens if the servers are down.

Does the grass / trees/ lighting vanish?! How does that work?

#43 1 year ago
  44. Ireland Michael

@43 Yeah, this is the sole reason the whole cloud processing thing is garbage, and will never take off. Nobody is going to offload data for something like that to a server unless its an actual online game that requires it.

I remember someone posted a rather funny GIF recently about that very issue.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Telepathic.Geometry

There are two possibilities:

a) This game will use more graphical and audio effects and look far more amazing when online as it will be able to harness the awesome power of the cloud. The offline version will look significantly less amazing by comparison.

b) This is complete PR bull-fucking-shite.

I’m going with b) here.

#45 1 year ago
  46. laughing-gravy

@40 Bollocks! That test on Eurogamer was nowhere near the true specs of either system. It didn’t take into account the fact that PS4 has twice the ROPS of X1, or the fact that PS4 has 62 more compute cues and two render pipelines. The lower bandwidth in X1 prevents it from using the cloud effectively, that also comes from the Eurogamer archive if you were wondering.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Kuwabara

You have to be online to take advantage of any cloud. I doubt everyone will bother with cloud features knowing not everyone will have internet all the time. Or what happens when your internet stops working and you single player game ends up like shit. You won’t see multiplats taking advantage of the cloud unless it’s done on ps4. Ps3 already uses cloud tech and they can use their cloud services for ps4 if they want. At the end of the day ps4 exclusives will set the bar once again.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Vylsith

Since you download drivatars onto your console, I’m guessing they’re speaking theoretically. Especially since internet bandwidth could not handle the equivalent of 600% of the CPU performance of the XBox One in the form of data. It would greatly exceed the bandwidth capacity. This is a bunch of crap.

#48 1 year ago
  49. sebastien rivas

I wonder how they got this precise number from and knowing it is on a cloud of connected devices which means it continually fluctuates. On top of it, is this 600% taking into account that all consoles are connected to the cloud for Forza 5 and nothing else?

Anyway….

What happens if I play single player without internet?
    AI drive like children bump cars?

#49 1 year ago
  50. SlayerGT

The reason there are no cloud usage on 360 is because the 360 wasn’t designed to be always online. The XBOne being designed originally to be an always on, all digital gave way to these cloud services. Since the 180 though now things are unclear how useful any of it will be. If you remember the cloud services are only available in certain geographical areas..right?

#50 1 year ago
  51. Hcw87

They also said the cloud tech was largely targeted by MMO’s/allways online games.

And as we allready know, allways-online games will be the big thing this gen.

#51 1 year ago
  52. ysleiro

Have any of you ever stopped to read all these comments?

Regarding his usage of “600%” it’s not a quantifiable number since we don’t know what exactly he is referring to and he is surely rounding. One thing I do gather is they will be using the Cloud and I HIGHLY DOUBT it will be to the detriment of the game.

I’m willing to bet whatever cloud features they add will improve the game!

#52 1 year ago
  53. SlayerGT

@52 Like I implied earlier..after all the talk they’re doing in trying to convince you to buy their product, I’d hope you’re right. We’ll see.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Lengendaryboss

Get bent! We’re not haters, we are realistic people with an opinion.

Don’t defend someone and attack the “haters” just because we don’t like where all these numbers are coming from, so excuse us for not bending over backwards to agree with MS.

#54 1 year ago
  55. DSB

@52 Simcity 5 says hello.

#55 1 year ago
  56. ysleiro

@SlayerGT

I hear that. A salesman is a salesman.

However this guy isn’t JUST a salesman and he doesn’t represent the console. He represents the game and not just from a salesman’s perspective. He is a creative director of a game.

For what is worth his word should be worth more than some guy in charge of Xbox One sales.

I just dislike how people on here straight up DIS pros in the gaming industry. Just yesterday I read an article about how it’s gotten to the point where people are threatening devs.

#56 1 year ago
  57. ysleiro

@DSB I’m under the impression that Simcity had problems due to DRM and they didn’t actually use the cloud to compute anything.

@Lengendaryboss
    Nobody is getting bent. You seem to be “hellbent” on believing you know more than actual developers. Whether you like the number 600 or not is a matter of opinion (I personally don’t like it since it’s meaningless; since we have no way to quantify what he means).

Whether the game uses the cloud for better or worse performance won’t be a matter of opinion once the game is out however.

You do however have to wait for it to actually ship before seeing for yourself. UNLESS of course if you work at Turn 10.

I just feel we have a bunch of uneducated idiots on here incapable of properly expressing their opinions without using some sort or kneejerk reaction; “herp derp but teh cloud sucks, sim city.. DRM.. Sony this, MS that”. State your opinion without arrogantly sounding like you know more than a developer!

#57 1 year ago
  58. DSB

@57 They obviously put something up there, because when it failed it, it broke basic features in the game. But if companies can’t even make their DRM checks work without breaking their games, then why should we have any confidence that they’ll be able to handle true, realtime processes?

Boeing may have engineers that are a lot better than me at just about anything, but when their planes are catching fire left and right, I still have every right to doubt them. Whether a burning plane is made by an idiot or a genius, it’s still not a lot of fun to be in.

At the end of the day, the burden of proof is on Microsoft and Turn 10. Will they do better than the last five players who tried and failed at this?

Promises are cheap to make. Everybody’s talked a good game right up until the point where their servers turned into mush.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Lengendaryboss

You’re misunderstanding what i’m saying clearly
    “You seem to be “hellbent” on believing you know more than actual developers.” Where did i say that? or better yet where did i even remotely imply that?

#3Lengendaryboss
    01/08/13, 12:35 pm
    I wonder where they get these numbers from?

Thats what i want to know and i want to see his words in action.
    “(I personally don’t like it since it’s meaningless; since we have no way to quantify what he means)” Exactly you and me are on the same terms unlike you i don’t attack anyone using incorrect labels and assumptions.

“State your opinion without arrogantly sounding like you know more than a developer!” Never did that.
    Now i ask you to voice your concerns without using incorrect labels and thinking people know better than he does when in actuality no one asserted this.

“I had NO IDEA we had so many HATERS on vg247. It’s clear as day as to who these guys are fanboys off.”

“My goodness guys, cut the guy some slack; he is the one that has gotten hands on experience with what he is talking about. NONE OF YOU have actually seen what the capabilities are. Shut up for a minute. Take it with a grain of salt if you have to, but stop pretending like you know better than he does.”

#59 1 year ago
  60. ysleiro

@Legendaryboss

My appologies; I took your “get bent!” comment and assumed you meant “you are getting raped up the booty by this person’s lies while I’m not because I know he is wrong”.

My mistake.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Major Mayhem 70

@Ysleiro. Quit while you can, cause in this room the developer is an idiot and the disbelievers are the pros. Now if the the developer was describing a Gran Turismo game these numbers would be possible and everything would make perfect sense. But this is an X1 game so there is no way in hell that it can be any good and these numbers are all wrong, dead wrong I tell ya. Why?!? Cause when we want our “opinions” to out weigh the “facts” you better listen to what we say. But when it comes to Sony you better have some “facts” if you want to dispell any positive reporting and your “opinion” doesn’t mean a damn thing…. But rest assured no fanboys in this room, nope none what’s so ever….

#61 1 year ago
  62. loci

This is a scientific fact….there’s no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Lengendaryboss

@60 + 61
    That “get bent!” comment was you assuming we’re all haters and thinking we’re know better than the developer (lies): when what most people are doing is sharing our opinion if you don’t like it fine but don’t use labels incorrectly. In fact go to the my @61 section and “quote someone…”

And here we go, Major conspiracy theory man: Get help and stop with your bullshit conspiracy theories: this isn’t favourism: if MS is going to throw numbers around have action to prove it: applies to Sony/Nintendo if they did it as much as MS which they don’t. Go on quote someone in this article saying they know more than the developer or are hating on MS and when you fail come back with another bullshit conspiracy theory. No fanboys here just a delusional conspiracy man.

Why don’t you quit with the fucking conspiracy theories and speak in line with what actually was said: instead of thinking oh Sony commentators positive and MS commentators negative.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Lengendaryboss

Also “get bent!” has many different meanings: in my context it was telling you to quit your assumptions (in a more polite way).

#64 1 year ago
  65. Major Mayhem 70

@legendaryboss. Turn out the lights and leave crumbs, the roaches are sure to come. Didn’t even say your name but here you are. Lmao

Im just calling it the way I see it. Lets not act like the fanboyism isn’t evident. You of all people have no room to think otherwise. A developer from MS makes a statement on how the cloud system has helped them in making a game. Is that not a fact that this developer said this? Of course it is cause the article is above this comment section. Is it a fact that what he says is legit? Well I would have to say it is cause he is the one that is working with the console and the cloud. Is it a fact that none of y’all have worked with the cloud and X1 before? Once again this is a fact. Till we see this thing in action and can say say that what this developer has said is not accurate we have to take his word for it. Why?!? Cause he said it was so. And you and I know that when someone comes out and says something that that is enough to make it factual. Righhhht?!?
    God I know it was hard for you to not quote me… Good job and you know… Good day 😜

#65 1 year ago
  66. Major Mayhem 70

NowI’m sorry if some people can’t leave a debate that was done 2 weeks ago alone and now have the nerves to try and weasel it back in. I find it ironic that in this debate a few weeks ago this particular person stuck with his point of view because Sony had addressed the matter to the press so of course what they said had to be fact. Well if what Sony says has to be fact and everything else is a conspiracy theory, why is it whenever MS puts out a statement this person always wants to shot down their statement. His actions is a blatant example of fanboyism and he needs to own up to it and it is this reason I give him noooo respect. He needs to shut his mouth if he can’t even follow his own standards of a company making a statement concerning their product. He hasn’t played either system but he can justify everything Sony say and troll everything MS says. I’ve preordered BOTH consoles and come November I will be able to make an honest opinion as to which console is superior not just siding with one company cause its what I’ve always played with in the past. Trust me if X1 isn’t on par I will let all know it. I own 2 ps3′s now and I’m a plus member for 3 years ( own 2 cause Ps3 has the best blu ray imo) MS has a long way to go when it comes to free games. Plus is killing them. Ps3′ s online experience is lagging behind XBL. Of course this is my opinion. Fighting games I play on PS3, shooters I play on the 360. Action titles I split between the two. I don’t worship a company like this guy does as all can see. As I’ve said in the past MS seems to be pushing for new advances in gaming more so than Sony. Hasn’t been proven yet, hasn’t been dispelled yet either. So I have to ride with what they’re saying till I get my hands on.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Lengendaryboss

@65/6
    Misunderstanding and interpreting everything wrong: people are offering their opinion oh and no one denied anything: they are asking for proof about these numbers. The difference between Sony and MS is unlike MS the camera was pointed out not to be included a few weeks before E3: Sony confirmed that then gave their official stance later. The fact that your complaining about “people shooting down their statement” (lies) and you yourself were complaining about the conspiracy theory about Sony dropping the camera to undercut Xbox One: makes you a big hypocrite.

I’m waiting find someone who full on denied this: cynical and joking doesn’t count. Also since you accuse me of denying MS statement: quote me on that. It isn’t ironic the situations are completely different and you aren’t understanding. Go on find where i troll everything MS says and defend everything Sony says. Prove to me i have done those three things. If you can’t your just bullshitting yourself and wrongly analysing everything i have said.

If you don’t quote i’m not responding.

#67 1 year ago
  68. TheMedici

I really don’t like when they say “X1 Cloud Processing”. Cloud Processing is Cloud Processing, no matter the console. Everything X1 does PS4 does too. Cloud Processing can be implemented in both consoles, can be used the way they want. MS is ahead cause his servers are already in place, but with Gaikai Sony can surprise all the world. We have to wait and see.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Major Mayhem 70

Dude I don’t have to quote shit that’s your job. If u don’t like the X1 thats your loss. If you believe that Sony removed their eye 4 camera for your sake and not for the sake of lowering its price I hope your sleeping better believing that Sony is looking out for your interests and not business. And if you think your not a Sony fanboy then keep lying to yourself. Did it ever occur to you that MS realized it got its ass whipped by Sony at E3 and now whatever news it can devulge about its new system it releases to the public to try and stop the bleeding which it has but still finds itself lagging behind. In the business community it’s called Public Relations. Because of their piss poor PR during the reveal all the way to E3 they’re having to reacquaint everyone to the advancements that they are trying to create with the X1. If your not thrilled don’t buy it. And since your not going to buy it why would it matter to you whether the cloud inhancement it legit… It matters to me that it is legit cause I’m getting it. The eye 4 mattered to me cause I wanted to be able to use the dual shock 4 to its full potential. But now that it isn’t in every box I myself don’t find the need to support it cause only Sony developers will support it and in time even their support will fade. I said I wouldn’t and I didn’t quote a damn word so stick to what you said and DON’T RESPOND…

#69 1 year ago
  70. Major Mayhem 70

I like the way you talk Medici. We all should stay optimistic with the advancements that both companies are trying to make. Remember Atari had one stick and one red button to mash. Now we have so many buttons and triggers and sticks and rumble vibrations all on and in one controller because of the advancements that have been made to how we game period. Why is now a good time to say ok we’ve reached the epitome of gaming. Both companies need to push further. And for those that don’t understand what this article is saying, basically AI is something that they put in for the gamer to go up against. After a while, and those that play racing games can attest to, the gamer starts learning the AI’s tendencies. After a while the game becomes easier to beat. With the cloud and the data it collects how gamers race it can the come up with new racing AI opponents ON THE FLY. So now its that much harder (damn near impossible) to learn the AI’s tendencies. If it works as they say it should. I’d say that’s pushing gaming further. But then again what do I know…

#70 1 year ago
  71. Kuwabara

600% more powerful guys, see you on the cloud. Yet no weather change effects and night time racing, lol.

#71 1 year ago