Grand Theft Auto 5 rated R18+ in Australia

Thursday, 1st August 2013 00:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Hush your worries, Australian fans; Grand Theft Auto 5 has been rated R18+ in Australia, ensuring it is eligible for local release.

The Australian Classification Board awarded the highest rating to Rockstar’s open-world adventure, noting high impact drug use.

The game also exhibited strong impact themes, violence, language, nudity and sex.

GTA 5 is due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in September.

The GTA series has been controversial in the past and was retroactively refused classification in Australia over the San Andreas Hot Coffee scandal. As a result, fans had been holding their breath over the game’s classification.

Australia introduced an R18+ ratings category for video games on January 1 2013, but did not significantly slacken its content guidelines; the category was intended to divide adult material from that suitable for minors, not necessarily allow more extreme content. The Classification Board is particularly harsh on incentivised drug use and sexual violence; as a result, both State of Decay and Saints Row 4 were refused classification for content falling outside guidelines.

State of Decay developed Undead Labs resubmitted a modified version where drugs were replaced by vitamins; Saints Row 4 publisher Deep Silver appealed the board’s ruling, but was unsuccessful. It has submitted a modified version, too, so there’s a good chance local release will follow.

Thanks, AusVGClassifications.

1. a7md1990

And Saints Row IV fails the classification?! I’m guessing it gives the ability to rape YO MAMA! That’s the only way for me to understand the classification failure.

#1 9 months ago
  2. xXNapsterManXx

Lucky Ducky

#2 9 months ago
  3. Christopher Jack

Will the R18+ rating allow us to blow people’s heads off again? I recall that being censored in Aus in one of the prior games.

#3 9 months ago
  4. jmg24bad

The funny part is this game passed, and saints row 4 didnt ! lmao

#4 9 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Saints Row =/= Grand Theft AUto. We have all seen the video where Grand Theft Auto is satire of realism. Saints Row is slap stick and completely over the top with its vulgarity.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Sylrissa

To each their own, but I lost interest in GTA when they released GTA 4, I dislike their direction with the game.

However I’ll admit Ballard of gay tony was an incredible piece of DLC, the base game however didn’t interest me at all.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Talkar

That is great news! More games for more people, how can that ever be bad?

Absolutely agree, IV is the weakest of all the GTA games in my opinion. I’ve never even finished it because i thought it was so bad. Which is also why i haven’t preordered V, i’ll wait for some reviews so i can see what this game is about.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Fin

I actually think SR’s approach to violence is actually nastier than GTA, and I’m nearly finished SR3.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Kuwabara

@3 I checked the classification website for the game, it said it was the original version, not modified. I just hope rockstar didn’t modify certain elements before submitting.

#9 9 months ago