The Bureau: XCOM Declassified’s YOLO trailer shows the ills of perma-death

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 13:27 GMT By Dave Cook

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified has received a silly trailer warning players about the dangers of perma-death. Remember kids and tweens, YOLO is your friend.

I can’t believe I’ve actually typed YOLO twice now – whoops, three times. I feel dirty.

Anyway, here’s the clip ahead of the game’s August 20 launch in North America on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. It’s out August 23 across Europe.

1. YoungZer0

Go wash yourself, Dave.

Edit: That trailer was … unexpected.

#1 12 months ago
  2. EdNorton

Confirmed: Drake files lawsuit against 2K Games.

#2 12 months ago
  3. JackThomas

Did they actually think this was funny?

#3 12 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Someone probably did.

#4 12 months ago
  5. actuallyisnotafox

@3 I laughed… 3 times acutually, it doesnt look that bad :)

#5 12 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

I can only respond in GIFs and JPGs

#6 12 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

Is there a YOLO mode in the game, where the goal is to die in really daft ways, and the characters all yell the magic word before following orders?

That might encourage me to pay this game more interest than its current status of: Wait for sale. THAT, 2k, is what happens when you expect me to get hype over what you’ve turned into essentially a repackaged Enemy Unknown Expansion Pack!

#7 12 months ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

#8 12 months ago
  9. f1r3storm

@3 If you’ve got some humor, yes.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Ali

They should have given us their first FPS take on the franchise. A much more interesting game than this..

#10 12 months ago
  11. DSB

I lost any hope I had for this when I watched Sam’s playthrough.

Goddamn it looks bad. They couldn’t even do the animations right. I really hope we get past this disgusting cover shooter binge sooner rather than later.

#11 12 months ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

@10/11: XCOM was looking like a real shining light, in that regard. Before, well, you know.

#12 12 months ago
  13. YoungZer0

@10: Really? You think this http://youtu.be/JdVb4UnqO7A looks good?

#13 12 months ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

@11 You so right. Staggeringly so. After you mentioned Sam’s coverage I watched both parts, and to @13…Really, you went to the concept video of 2010? (Not bad, in its own right, but, the 2011 sequence moved things in a stronger direction): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPG-SVPNTMM

Anyway, I agree with you, DSB. I was actually surprised at how bad The Bureau looked. It didn’t look fun to play in the least, and the presentation was really inconsistent, erring more often towards poor than average. Animation and voices were ropey as anything. :(

#14 12 months ago
  15. DSB

It had me worried right from the start.

The thing that made the original X-Com such a haunting experience was that you were truly weak, and actually had reason to fear your enemies. In this one you’re casually dispatching armies of (apparently very inferior) over-designed aliens with your amazing superpowers. Been there, done that, got the Mass Effect t-shirt.

It’s like taking Dark Souls and trying to make it into a bog standard beat ‘em up. They just fundamentally missed the point, and what’s left looks like a completely arbitrary, no-investment-required cover shooter like latter day Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol, right down to the lousy dialogue.

@14 Honestly, when I saw the oil slicks and the techno aliens (Crysis anyone?) all I could think was that they had no fricken clue.

You could’ve gone with the most cliché 1950′s style aliens, and you would’ve done well enough. There was never any reason to reinvent that wheel, and certainly not to put them that far over the top.

#15 12 months ago
  16. SplatteredHouse

Mass Effect. #15 nailed it. I was struggling enough with the second video…And then, the commander calls in an “air strike” onto a warehouse. The project’s just been brought into existence, these guys are supposed to be a hastily built last line of defense for Earth, and yet, these otherwise civilians have access to tactical air strikes?! I’m half expecting them to announce that Mark Meer is to voice a guest character.

@15: So, you didn’t like the enemies of the FPS. I don’t really have Crysis as a point of reference to draw from, as I really didn’t get on well with the gameplay in that, so I haven’t gone back for more. If it’s direct inspiration, or what, I wouldn’t know. But, I do find the 2010/11 enemy types to be more “unknown”. They infiltrate, by the looks of it, and then hide in wait as part of the populous that they are invading. Supposedly from the trailer, they’re guerilla forces, and the hosts of the oil (X-Files?) are lost. There’s a lot of ground that could be explored, there from that starting point.

#16 12 months ago
  17. YoungZer0

@15: Oh come on, DSB, it’s just a freakin’ spin-off.

We’ve had that before with XCom. Didn’t hurt the brand back then, won’t hurt it now.

I don’t see a reason to complain about it like it’s the end of the XCom Franchise. It’s not. The Firaxis game sold very well, so you can be sure it will remain a turn-based strategy game.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. I was never attached to XCom or UFO, so I don’t care. I see a game that has a lot of potential with a very interesting setting, so i’ll give it a shot.

#17 12 months ago
  18. SplatteredHouse

This has it’s work cut out to convince me after that showing, I think. I’m not enthusiastic about this one, but I’ll check back once reviews arrive, in earnest.

#18 12 months ago
  19. DSB

@17 I don’t see how it matters whether it’s a spin-off or a genuine Gollop production. If it stinks, it stinks.

@16 I like the idea of infiltration, but I just don’t see the value in enemies made up of bright blue electrical mesh or black goo. How is anyone supposed to relate to that? The electrical enemies look ridiculous and black goo would seem more like a threat to sea fowl.

In X-Com the aliens all had a part to play, each with their own identity. It wasn’t exactly a master class in design or anything, but at the very least they were instantly relatable.

#19 12 months ago
  20. YoungZer0

@19: It matters because as long as it doesn’t touch the main franchise, the main franchise remains the way it is.

You don’t judge the Alien vs Predator franchise by that one strategy title nobody played.

And how exactly do you know that it stinks? Try to separate your feels from the franchise and try to see it as a new game that has nothing to do with XCom. I really like the Enemy Unknown, It’s probably a much better game than The Bureau, but I still like what I see here.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Osric

It seems like Mass Effect, L.A. Noire and MIB had a crazy night full of substances. Looks fun… funny at least. Hopefully it doesn’t suck, it looks like a twisted, utterly bad 90′s movie flavored product, so it could be really interesting.

#21 12 months ago
  22. DSB

@20 Really, the whole the point of putting X-Com on the box is to tie it into the main franchise.

The game looks to be the antithesis of what the brand actually means to people, so if it wasn’t about boosting sales by giving people the impression of something else that’s actually good, then they could’ve done the honest thing and called it something else.

That’s their choice, not mine, and they can stand to be held accountable for it.

By putting X-Com on the box, you’re trying to remind people of a game that’s smart, visceral and means a great deal to a large part of a generation of gamers.

X-Com isn’t exactly untainted though. It’s been used to sell lesser games pretty much ever since the first one, incuding the disappointing Gollop sequel.

(New) Enemy Unknown is certainly too well done to simply be dismissed as a cash-in, but looking at it as a successor, it’s really more of a boardgame than a true tactical game, and at least to me that doesn’t provide the same experience.

It’s a Sid Meier approach to a Gollop game. Sid Meier being all about design and reducing your decisions to a precious few, while the Gollops (at least in the case of X-Com) was all about systems and offering a much greater degree of freedom.

#22 12 months ago
  23. YoungZer0

@22: Agree to disagree. You still have your Xenonauts.

Rather nice preview:

#23 12 months ago
  24. Ali

@youbgzer0, Yes I really liked the 2010 build. It just seemed basic yet with a 50ish artistic touch. It reminded me of BioShock and that’s always a +.

I wont lie and say that I am dropping their new take out of my radar entirely. It is still there, but just like all the other TPS this gen, it feels dated and robotic.

#24 12 months ago