PS4 video gives you a closer look at the console

Tuesday, 30th July 2013 14:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The PlayStation Blog has posted a hands-on video in which PS Access Community Manager, Hollie Bennett gives you an up-close look at PlayStation 4. The video also give you a look at the PlayStation Camera. It’s just over 4 minutes long, but you get a rough idea of its size and learn the difference between the colors jet-black (PS4) and piano black (PS3). Interesting. Enjoy it below. PS4 will arrive in stores during holiday 2013.

1. wildBoar

Let’s be honest though, it is the prettier console of the two. Weirdly I’m actually excited about the black.. How black can you go?
    Piano-black? I’m going to have to google some colour-theory now.

#1 12 months ago
  2. SlayerGT

Sexy

#2 12 months ago
  3. DSB

Trying to decide which console is the prettiest is like trying to determine whose dog takes the nicest dump. They’re both abominable turds.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

That is uh nice comparison, but wouldn’t one turd be the prettiest abominable turd over the other? ;)

#4 12 months ago
  5. deathm00n

I think I’m the only one who don’t think either of them are ugly… But the comparison of Xbone to a VHS player is inevitable.

#5 12 months ago
  6. MCTJim

they are both black and both will be in the entertainment center under the 70 inch TV. Dont care what they look like as long as they play good games.

#6 12 months ago
  7. sebastien rivas

@ 5

I hear you well, I felt the same way. I wonder if it is was an intentional marketting solution so X and Y generations nowadays mom and dad get a good vibe about it.

Anyway, both are not fugly nor to a piece of art but hey, as long as it turns on/off and play games smoothly, that is all we ask :)

#7 12 months ago
  8. DSB

The PS4 looks like a piece of 1980′s designer hifi

@4 Either way, you’d still be the guy who bothers to compare turds. Personally I don’t think bad design is worth all that. If one actually looked new or appealing, then there would be something to talk about.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@DSB
    Okay noted.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Fin

I do like the PS4′s design.

X1 is too boxy for my likin’.

#10 12 months ago
  11. viralshag

I don’t mind the look of the console (although I prefer the XB1) but that pad… I just don’t like that at all.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Hcw87

They look almost identical. Don’t see how anyone can say one looks better than the other.

#12 12 months ago
  13. viralshag

@12, I prefer the (imo) cleaner and boxier look. I’ll admit it’s not very exciting but in this case I prefer bold over the italic version. ;)

#13 12 months ago
  14. Hcw87

Indeed.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Gheritt White

Good going, Hollie!

#15 12 months ago
  16. manamana

@DSB you did it again! Please don’t compare the beauty of the Beosystem to the PS4. And yes, it is totally okay to go retro in this respect, if one would argue that it looks retro. And not as retro as the ‘real’ VHS recorder aka XBox180…

#16 12 months ago
  17. DSB

@16 I’m so disappointed by it :P It’s not that the Beovision was bad for its day, it’s just that we’re so far past the point where design like that has any relevance.

In the 70′s and 80′s, hardware was all boxes. Almost without exception. Then B&O decided to slant theirs and wham, you have a new expression.

Today though, simply taking a basic shape and slanting it, or making a layer-cake of two slants strikes me as fundamentally lazy and uninspiring.

Obviously the same thing goes for the Xbone. I think it’s downright embarrassing that a lot of the fan mock-ups preceding the reveals were so much better on average.

#17 12 months ago
  18. manamana

Right, although the mock-ups don’t have to consider hardware interior, heat flow etc. ;-)

#18 12 months ago
  19. DSB

@18 That only goes so far in excusing the design though. I don’t know that there’s any rule saying that heat can only disperse inside a near-perfect cube.

They were never gonna be super slim on launch, but there’s still a lot you can do with a full shape. It seems to me like the designers relied on their rulers instead of their imaginations.

I think it’s a particular shame because the last gen really had some reasonably pretty boxes. Both the original Xbox and the PS2 were eyesores, but the 360 and PS3 improved on that. The original PS3 was a bit of a beached whale, but at least it had some curves to it.

#19 12 months ago
  20. manamana

I consider the B&W Nautilus as a perfect symbiosis of design and technical achievement. It will be a long way til console manufacturers are going to design anything likewise. A long way. And then, they might don’t have the industrial designers to make such things happen. You know like, it’s ‘just’ a games console/entertainment center …

#20 12 months ago
  21. DSB

@20 Yeah, that really seems to be the reasoning. Design is absolutely a vanity and a luxury, but why shouldn’t gamers appreciate that just as much as the people who buy phones or laptops?

It rubs me the wrong way to assume that being a gamer means you’re fine with having an ugly brick under your TV, as long as it’s got plenty of teraflops and grafix.

It’s patronizing somehow. It’s a problem for gaming that you’re still concieved to be “that guy” if you spend time on gaming, rather than someone who’s every bit as diverse, rational and discerning as anybody else.

#21 12 months ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

Yes, both are ugly. I must be in the minority because I think the X1 is just a little less.

#22 12 months ago
  23. tracyis300

I can understand some people not liking the design and comparing them to something semiliar. But you got to understand that they had to go with a design that looks good/noticeably in todays living, and also has to be well ventilated from over heating as well as cost efficient.
    Not everyone is going to be playing there console(s) in there living rooms.

#23 12 months ago