Blu-Ray successor plans unveiled: Sony wants a single disc to hold 300GB by 2015

Tuesday, 30th July 2013 10:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony and Panasonic have revealed the future of Blu-Ray as both companies want the next wave of discs to hold 300GB of data by 2015.

The BBC reports that while normal Blu-Rays currently hold 50GB of data, both parties have hopes to drastically increase that capacity moving forward. The site adds that 4K movies will require at least 100GB of data, hence the need for an expanded Blu-Ray format.

That’s it really. The press release issued by Sony only talks about the movie industry but it remains to be seen if this new format will make its way into the games market. Seeing as both PS4 and Xbox One will run Blu-Rays this seems possible, but is such a large disc size really necessary?

Let us know what you think below.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that BRD was the last physical disc format. From here on in it’s digital. People are more likely to accept 1080p as the ceiling and go digital than start their collections again from scratch. Mark my words…

#1 1 year ago
  2. backup

Innovation and sony goes hand in hand

#2 1 year ago
  3. locus2k1

@1 perhaps, but then it may still a little to early for the majority of the world to be able to readily stream HD, let alone 4K, movies due to unstable connections with low bandwidths allowances.

No doubt the future will be digital, but we still have a little way to go :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Judicas

4k is running at a resolution of 3840 pixels × 2160 lines, 1080p is 1920 x 1080. Where you said “the site adds 4k movies running at 1080p” doesn’t make alot of sense, its would be like trying to run a 1080p movie at dvd resolution… basically you wouldn’t run a 4k movie at 1080p, you’d run it at 4k :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

For what I read at Panasonic press release, its geared towards professionals who need large reliable storage backups, and not the general consumer.
    In other words, not really something to care about right now.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

You know, Sony, you do have a new system coming out. Wouldn’t it be nice to maybe use that new system to push your new format?

I know…I know…it’s a new idea to you guys, but think about it…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

As for whether or not it’s necessary, there was a time I remember when people asked if all the space on CD’s was really necessary for games.

#7 1 year ago
  8. sh4dow

“The site adds that 4K movies running at 1080p will take at least 100GB of data”

This doesn’t make any sense, so I checked whether it’s in the original article. Dave, Dave, Dave… :P

Here’s the original paragraph for comparison:
    “Sony has previously said that 4K ultra-high-definition movies – which offer four times the resolution of 1080p video – were likely to take up more than 100GB of space.”

Although I gotta say that I wonder why anybody would bother to watch stuff at 4K. Even in theaters, they mostly use 2K! Or at least used to, not sure whether it’s still the case for the majority of movies.
    Seems to me that unless you have at least a 3 yard screen, there’s probably not much benefit to that.

Personally, I’d rather first finally have an OLED display, then a projector that actually has a decent black levels (and is not a CRT), then AR/VR glasses that fit on top of prescription ones.
    And only THEN… should any of these devices ever support 4K resolutions (especially the projector and glasses, obviously) – THEN I would be interested in 4K tech.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Judicas

@6 ps4 supports 4k movies/tv but not gaming so… unsure what more you want from them…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Fethennour

300 GB in a single Blu-Ray disc ? That’s ambitious. Well, Sony has always been an innovative company, I’m pretty sure they can do it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. VibraniumSpork

Wait, does this mean…all Extended Cuts of LOTR on *one* disc!? Nerdgasm if so.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Faithseekers

@6. Shut Up

#12 1 year ago
  13. xxJPRACERxx

Yeah, wtf!?!

Thanks for the clarification sh4dow!

edit: lol @13

#13 1 year ago
  14. Fin

Seriously dude, 4K is fucking amaaaaazing. It’s like looking through a pane of glass.

#14 1 year ago
  15. fihar

4k would be the pinnacle I think. I doubt the human brain can process any images with higher resolutions. Unless you’re looking at it point-blank, which kinda defeats the entire point.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Kreion

Mmmm I think I’d rather prefer something with a faster transfer rate to something with more space. I’m not sure if it’s feasible but then it would be far easier to download the digital copy of the game onto a console and play it without a disc (or at least without the disc spinning).

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cobra951

4K may need it, but who needs 4K? The current HD standards took at least 10 years longer than planned to sell to the public. Most people didn’t give a shit, and even today, many of them don’t know the difference between HD and stretched SD, where everything is fat, and all circles are egg-shaped. Why would they ever fork over $thousands for 4K when they don’t even know what to do with 1080p hardware? Only the fringe will embrace 4K, and the fringe can’t support an industry.

#17 1 year ago
  18. MrWaffles

They know the market. They are betting ISPs around the world will remains just as shitty when 4K comes around.

If a movie is so painful to download that getting the data on a flimsy piece of plastic sounds like a good trade-off, then be it.

And hey, remember, this is sony selling cheap discs instead of ultra-expensive media-cards… so at least that’s an advantage.

-Waffles

#18 1 year ago
  19. deathm00n

@18 Completely right. If a 4k is 100gb of download it would take a whole week to download it with my internet speed. I download 700mb in one hour. Of course I would buy a disc

#19 1 year ago
  20. bradk825

For fuck’s sake Sony. I know progress is supposed to be a good thing, but I JUST got a Blu Ray player this year! It JUST became the most-used media this year and DVDs are still being sold. At least when Blu Ray came out you couldn’t buy VHS anymore.

It’s fake anger, lol. They can do what they want, I just find it’s like when I finally afford a 3dtv, virtual reality brain implants are going to come out and I’ll be Johnny Yesteryear again, lol.

#20 1 year ago
  21. torjs99

shame its not making it into the ps4

#21 1 year ago
  22. nollie4545

LOL to the max, physical media will be gone inside 10 years. The demand for data and an infrastructure to support it is now so vast and strong, that new networks are being laid down constantly. Even the mobile and satellite providers are messing with technology which can dish out 10 GB/sec, if landlines can’t compete they will go dinosaur real fast.

As for 4K media, once hardware can churn it, you will be able to use it. But 4K games, thats a shit load of pixels. PS4 would more likely achieve nuclear fission than it would churn out a 4K game.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

Physical media nowhere. Online download of retail games with be convenient, but they’re not even close to replacing actually discs. Could you imagine the HDD sizes required to store a lot of games that take up a 300GB disc?

I’m seen 4K. I’m completely incapable of looking at for more than a few seconds without getting nauseous and feeling like I’m about to throw up.

#23 1 year ago
  24. nollie4545

Solid state storage technology and even conventional mechanical drive technology will improve at a far faster rate than and optical media ever will. Christ, you can now buy a USB thumb drive with way more capacity than a DVD for next to nothing money.

Besides, if data networks can one day readily achieve 10GB/sec bandwith, the need for local data storage will become much reduced anyway. No one using this forum can rip data off a single hard drive at 10GB/sec.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@24 Its still difficult to get a 2TB HDD for anything less than the €100 range, and the storage capacity of an SSD is still ludicrously expensive.

While the prices will unquestionable go down and the sizes up, up to 300GB a game is a lot of space, and will likely still be a fair chunk of space on a hard drive in 3 years time.

#25 1 year ago
  26. xxJPRACERxx

@24 There’s no way we’ll (consumer) get a 10 GB/s anytime soon! Considering 25 Mb/s as a baseline (and I’m generous, lot of countries got a lot less), 10 GB/s would be a 3300 times increase in speed. There’s no way to get that kind of speed now or in 2015.

If you have links to backup your claim then post, I would like to read them.

#26 1 year ago