Sony gamescom 2013 conference will focus on PS4

Monday, 29th July 2013 16:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has confirmed it will hold a press conference ahead of this year’s gamescom 2013 expo in Cologne, and that it will focus on PS4.

UPDATE: As spotted by GAF, the Sony Facebook has updated in reference to the gamescom 2013 conference.

It reads, “With the buzz around PlayStation 4 building, 2013 continues to be one of the most exciting years ever for video games fans. A host of next generation titles were unveiled at the PlayStation Meeting 2013 and E3 2013. At gamescom in August 2013 the focus will be on PS4 and its games line-up once again.”

Excited yet?

ORIGINAL STORY: MCV reports that the event will take place at the Saatenhaus am Rheinpark in Cologne on Tuesday, August 20.

It kicks off at 7pm CET / 6pm BST, and we’re assuming it’ll largely be PS4-flavoured.

What are you hoping to hear from Sony during the show?

Cheers Johnny.

1. matirishhh

I actually think that it will be VITA focused just like last year, which was a big success after E3 2012 no vita failure.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lv01

i want to hear one thing, and one thing only:

RELEASE DATE!

anything/everything else will be a bonus.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Pytox

excellent timing sony :D
    @1 yea i think same, maybe some more killzone and tearaway stuff as they’re both europe based. Also maybe that japanese game ( forgot the name ) :P
    probably will be tiny bit ps3, a bit of ps4 and showcase but mostly vita too i guess

#3 1 year ago
  4. Moonwalker1982

MS has yet to announce one officially, right?

#4 1 year ago
  5. matirishhh

@3 I think so too. There is a massive hunger for exclusive VITA games now. I don’t mind seeing a bit of PS3 and PS4 though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. dravenkaze

Release date + uncharted 4 is all the info I need

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Thats what i think.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

Perfect that thing is back :(

#8 1 year ago
  9. MFBB

But backup is right again, hes not trolling to get you mad (well yeah he is).

Europe is dominated by Playstation 3.

Xbox selling second most and Wii on third place.

Even here in Germany which was always a PC country, the PC is behind all consoles (sometimes even behind handhelds).

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

Does it give him the right to spam the website with his “facts” and Sony fanboynism?

PS: He doesn’t get me mad its his life under the bridge after all.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

I want to see more of the PS4 camera. Is it worth 60 bucks or not. I also would love to see a more in-depth look at the PS4, including how it actually looks when it’s booting up, the new suspend/resume feature, and any more details on Gaikai would be nice.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Stewie_Griffin

@#12 You are correct. They should point out the features, price point and that’s its optional. Because it can sell on its own merits and not have to be a non optional accessory that adds to the price tag.

#12 1 year ago
  13. dizzygear

A European release date for Freedom Wars would be nice.

#13 1 year ago
  14. CaptPierce

Is it gaming culture sin of me to say I look forward to gamescom more than I do E3 the past 4 or so years? Other than Sony giving Microsoft the biggest (then) backhand in the history of video games, I wasn’t all that hyped over the new games shown this year, other than The Division of course. Gamescom is actually where I get to SEE the game being played, which I love infinitely more.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

The fact they didn’t announce it at E3 just speaks volumes of how they pushed PS Vita to the side very quickly.

I have a slight edge towards Gamescom: i look forward to it slightly more than E3 but i believe E3 gets the most coverage and hype.

#15 1 year ago
  16. dizzygear

@15 A few weeks back some dude from SCEE who’s name i forgot was asking people on twitter what JRPG’s people wanted on Vita so i do hope they have a surprise in store on Gamescom.
    Tales games, FF Type-0 and Valkyria Chronicles 3 were most requested btw.

Still i’ll be waiting with low expectations to avoid disappointment.

#16 1 year ago
  17. MFBB

Yeah it has become a thing since years to save the surprises/announcements for E3 instead of anywhere else.

But than at Gamescone with all that stuff out of the way, we always get lots of game coverage/footage and more detailed infos.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

I don’t hold out much hope for that campaign but its better than nothing, clearly he is the one who cares for the PS Vita the most (leaving out SCEJ)

#18 1 year ago
  19. sg1974

Not bothered about release date because I am no longer buying on day one. I just want to hear three little words:

Un charted four.

#19 1 year ago
  20. zersus

Some other releases titles would be awesome. And if Sony wants my soul they only need to tell us that DarkSouls2 is due to November 2013 and not march 2014 on PS4. Thies could lead me to a heart attack, but at last I would die happy.

#20 1 year ago
  21. redwood

Ds2 is not coming to ps4 or the xbone is it?

#21 1 year ago
  22. DrDamn

It depends whether D stands for Dark or Demon’s. There were murmurs Sony were looking at Demon’s Souls 2 for PS4. Probably just rumours though.

#22 1 year ago
  23. backup

PS4 more games
    X1 for singing dancing
    Wiiu for kids
    and PC for hackers,terriosts,pirates,and losers

#23 12 months ago
  24. xBASSxMONSTAx

What about the PS Vita? I bought one day 1 and I’m still waiting for better support from you. I want more exclusive game announcements dammit. :(

#24 12 months ago
  25. Sadismek

@23 ‘…hackers,terriosts,pirates,and losers’ and for making games for your PS4 :)

#25 12 months ago
  26. monkeygourmet

So which is it? Murmurs or rumours?!

Or moomars? :D

#26 12 months ago
  27. backup

‘…hackers,terriosts,pirates,and losers’ and for making games for your PC and it’s their birth place :)

#27 12 months ago
  28. polygem

@22: yes there have been rumours but it wouldn´t make too much sense with dark2 just around the corner would it?…BUT if they´d announce Demons 2 for a winter 2014/spring 2015 release as a ps4 exclusive – it would be a genius marketing coup imo. for a certain demographic (count me in!) that message would weigh as much as 1000000 tanks.

#28 12 months ago
  29. Goffee

Hope they give the Vita at least five minutes for some proper new news. Personally, I think a modest price cut is coming, maybe down to £129 in the UK with some bundle refreshes, or at least price cuts for memory cards. For games we’ll see the new Assassin’s Creed formally unveiled, a very quick peek at FIFA 14, maybe Shahid’s “big title” and perhaps a few western announcements of Japanese titles, a couple of new 2014 games announced and a highlight reel of indie hits. Any more than that, and any longer than 8 minutes and I’ll be surprised.

#29 12 months ago
  30. OnionPowder

Well Miyazaki is working on an announced project. So if there was a Demon’s Souls 2 in development for PS4 it would probably be led by him.

#30 12 months ago
  31. Eddie Rodrigues

Off yourself, Sony.

#31 12 months ago
  32. tracyis300

About time. They really need to show us a hands on demo of there online features and why the monthly service is worth it. So sick and tired of all these people bowing down to the PS4, when they haven’t even seen how it games yet. Don’t know about everyone else, but i want to know what the heck it does. i feel like I’m taking a gamble for pre-ordered it.

#32 12 months ago
  33. Darksider123

I hope they finally reveal some new games. E3 this year was more about, “We don’t have online restrictions. PS: You have to pay for online this gen.”

Not sure I’ll buy either of the consoles, maybe stick to my pc a few more years, then buy it on sale

#33 12 months ago
  34. MrWaffles

I wonder if they’ll drop another bomb into microsoft’s hands.

Sony: “PS4 will be backwards compatible with ps3 and xbox 360 games” *stops dreaming*

#34 12 months ago
  35. sebastien rivas

I hate blowing dreams away but no the Ps4 will not be backward compatible.
    However, Sony may be looking in a near future to emulate older PS generation games to the ps4 and through their … not sure how it is called (the playstation online subscription).

#35 12 months ago
  36. Lengendaryboss

GAKAI streaming service coming in 2014: taking the best of past games.

#36 12 months ago
  37. wildBoar

Isn’t it more akin to dissapointing that they aren’t going to be revealing any more games? They’ve still got tons of studios we haven’t heard from so I guess Sony is really going to step it up in 2014..

#37 12 months ago
  38. Moonwalker1982

Aaaaah yes, like during E3 right? MS had mostly short trailers that barely showed gameplay and Sony had nothing but awesome exclusives to announce…

Oh wait…..lol.

#38 12 months ago
  39. gargus

Welcome to last month vg247

#39 12 months ago
  40. machy

@39 where in there say that GC will be all about ps4?
    and did u really read this article?

#40 12 months ago